Start by marking “The British Invasion: Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, and the Invention of the Modern Comic Book Writer” as Want to Read:

Moore. Gaiman. Morrison.

They came from Northampton, West Sussex, and Glasgow, and even though they spoke with different dialects, they gave American comics a new voice — one loud and clear enough to speak to the Postmodern world. Like a triple-helix strand of some advanced form of DNA, their careers have remained irrevocably intertwined. They go together, like Diz, Bird, a
Published August 12th 2016 by Sequart Organization

To ask other readers questions about The British Invasion, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The British Invasion

Start your review of The British Invasion: Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison, and the Invention of the Modern Comic Book Writer
John Pistelli
Sometimes, not often, I see a non-fiction book that makes me want to slap myself because I wish it had occurred to me to write it. This was my reaction on learning about The British Invasion: Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman, Grant Morrison and the Invention of the Modern Comic Book Writer, Greg Carpenter's study of the three British writers who, beginning in the 1980s, permanently altered American mainstream comics, not only aesthetically and institutionally but also with respect to their connection to ...more
David Keep
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

A loving look at three greats of the comic book world which treats their work seriously and is not so starry eyed as to be blind to the faults of the creations and the creators. It even ends with a Karen Berger interview. Fantastic
Jason Ragle
Mar 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
If you are at all interested in the medium of comics, you should read this book. Collectively, these three writers changed the face of the types of stories that were being told and dragged the medium forward as much as the Image creators did.
Dustin Prisley
Dec 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The absolute best book on the early 80s comics scene. Carpenter provides an extensive and through overview of The lives and careers of the first wave of the British comics invasion, providing detailed descriptions and analyses of their major and minkr works through the late 2000s. An engrossing read, its four hundred pages scarcely took me more than two sittings to get through, and felt like far less. A must have for comics historians and enthusiasts alike!
Logan Dalton
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is the kind of comics criticism I hope to do one day. Great read!
Lav
Sep 25, 2020 rated it really liked it
The title pretty much explains what this book is about, basically the holy trinity of Alan Moore, Neil Gaiman and Grant Morrison. Writer Greg Carpenter has really done their research and writes in a charming, sometimes witty way.
The only thing that bothered me a bit was pure editiorial. The paragraphs could've used more space between them here and there and I wish Gaiman's Worlds' End wasn't written World's End ;)

So overall, really good read for those interested in the subject, but it's probably
Kyle Burley
Jan 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
One of the great pleasures of reading is finding a book, like this one, devoted to a subject, so specific to your interests, it seems written for you. The "British Invasion" of American comics, during the 1980's, was a defining cultural event in my life and, perhaps, the greatest contributor to the idea that comic books are a viable, artistic medium suitable for all ages.
This seems like a given now but, before Moore, Gaiman, Morrison and a few others (including Frank Miller) mainstream comics we
Vicente
rated it it was ok
Jul 21, 2018
Luke Mccullough
Oct 17, 2016

• Improv Manifesto: 7 Simple Steps to Unstoppable Confidence, Powerful People Skills, and Unlimited Creativity!
  • Understanding Comics: The Invisible Art
  • Behold the Man
  • Death: The High Cost of Living
  • The Weird and the Eerie
  • The Wild Storm, Vol. 2
  • Rabbit, Run (Rabbit Angtrom #1)
  • Big Baby