Start by marking “Who Let the Gods Out?” as Want to Read:
Who Let the Gods Out?

Who Let the Gods Out?

(Who Let the Gods Out? #1)

In the tradition of Chris Grabenstein, Stuart Gibbs, and Pseudonymous Bosch, a hilarious and action-packed romp involving one ordinary boy and a crazy cast of immortals.

Elliot Hooper wants nothing more than for him and his mother to have a regular life. Then a goddess of the Zodiac crashes from the sky into a pile of cow dung in front of him, and Elliot's chances at a reg
Published March 28th 2017 by Chicken House (first published May 19th 2014)

To ask other readers questions about Who Let the Gods Out?, please sign up.
Bookwormthings Almost certainly, he has three more chaos stonrs to find and otherwise there won't be a story.

Start your review of Who Let the Gods Out?
Peter
Apr 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
A brilliantly funny adventure romp filled with kooky versions of all of your favourite Greek Gods, working together in a disorganised slapstick team to help human boy Elliot defeat a bunch of escaped evil daemon, and save his mum from the machinations of a dastardly neighbour. Packed with jokes and comic one liners - some of which must surely go over the kid's heads - it's a super-fun read. I particularly loved the opening with the awful teachers, the scenes with Hermes, who is a fab only-way-is ...more
Sophie
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
Lots of fun! Would recommend for fans of Eoin Colfer.
Steph
Feb 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute joy to read. Genuinely lovely characters that you care about. A really interesting plot. Just a total joy to read. I can not wait to read more!
Paul Ataua
The first hundred pages really floored me. It was inventive, funny, and had great characters. It was already one of those rare things- a children’s book that made me laugh out loud. Humans, constellations, and immortal gods! What could go wrong? Suddenly however, I got to realize that there was really just one running joke that was wearing thinner and thinner with each page. The Styx ferryman turned into a London cabbie, Hermes a young hip character who needs a blast of ‘nectarino’ before gettin ...more
Blake Bramley
Jan 18, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novels
Uggghhhhhh I really did not enjoy this book.

Before I start my rant, because the Gods know that I need one, I /can/ see some redeeming features: it was fun to read from the view of someone who knows a lot about Roman/Greek mythology, and it definitely appealed to its audience with its child-friendly humour.

Apart from that however...

It literally NEVER picked up! It has so many strands of the story with so much potential and the most any of them got to entertaining was a terrible pun here and there
Lee Peckover
May 09, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I have seen so many positive reviews of this book, the author seems genuinely lovely, and the premise is excellent. This seemed like it could tick every box I have for a book. I wanted to love this book. I tried to love this book.

Sadly, it has taken me an age to read this. It dragged from draining dull page to draining dull page at the slowest pace I have experienced in a long time. I found no humour in the achingly boring characters or their tedious shallow personalities.

In the end, I was lef
Ashley Booth
Feb 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Good luck finding a children's book that tops this in 2017.
Michelle
Apr 05, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
I guess kids around the age of 9/10 might love this but for for it was just painful. I had to push myself to quickly finish this. In the end I skipped most of the actual paragraphs and only skimmed the dialogue.
The story is just too superficial. No real depth... the characters were just to one dimensional for my liking.
The story was too over the top and sloppy and jumpy and not really well developed. Also the bad guys personality was really jumpy... overall just a big disappointment.
Lauren
Can't wait to share this book with my class- I better get working on my character voices as there are certainly some interesting ones in there!

I'm amazed at how a book with such hard hitting topics like being a young career and having a house repossessed can be the basis of such a fun adventure! A well written story- Maz Evans clearly knows and understands her target audience!
Lucy Hay
May 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bang2writers
Packed with "in" jokes for adults, WHO LET THE GODS OUT is the book equivalent of a Pixar movie, but it's not so grown up it'll fly over the kids' heads either. Mary Evans' writing is sharp, witty and wonderfully saucy, reminiscent of Roald Dahl at his finest and the illustrations cleverly evoke a Quentin Crisp-style feel to go with the text. This is a great, family friendly book for tweens that WON'T be a monumental drag for parents to read to their spawn - such a rare treat! Recommended.
Rachel (borntoberustic)
Admittedly, I only got about 50 pages into this one. It feels like a massive Percy Jackson knock off and i ended up dnf'ing...
Laura Noakes
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middle-grade
My thoughts:

The amount of times I got funny looks on the train whilst reading this is ridiculous, but I didn’t care because THIS BOOK WAS HILARIOUS & I LAUGH/SNORTED AT EVERY JOKE.
I was captivated from the get-go–the story is charmingly infectious, Elliot is a great main character (I adored how sassy he was,) and the Gods were SO unique.
Speaking of the Gods, I loved the Greek mythology in this. It was familiar, but fresh. I know that when you think Greek Mythology, you mind automatically jumps t
Jess
This was a delightful read! It felt like watching a silly, adventure-filled animated movie, and it had some genuine emotional threads in it as well. The relationships between Elliot and his mum and Elliot and Virgo were definitely highlights, and I was pleased by how Evans managed to ground the wacky, out-of-this-world plot and characters with relatable real world issues. Overall the book appealed to my sense of humor wonderfully, and I had such a good time with the first half. Unfortunately onc ...more
Feb 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Less a review, than an outpouring of pure joy. I absolutely loved this book. To be honest, I had avoided reading it at first, as I've always known just what was necessary about classic mythology but never been gripped. Then I read this. Now I'm gripped. It gloriously hilarious and deliciously heart warming. There is humour to appeal to all ages, from the subtly nuanced references to the outrageously zany and farcical scenes. Maz Evans has expertly and cleverly adapted the Greek originals to appe ...more
Elizabeth Ducie
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humour, fantasy
Elliot has a lot on his plate: he's being bullied by a teacher at school; he's being harassed by a neighbour; his mum is acting very strangely; and their precious home is at risk. So the last thing he needs is a constellation crashing into the cowshed and a gang of Gods moving in. Or does he? Maybe this is the best thing that could have happened.

I loved this debut novel by Maz Evans and read it in less than a day. It came across as a mix of Terry Pratchett and Douglas Adams, with the odd nod to
Ian Smyth
May 05, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My 14 year old son and I both loved this funny, inventive and deeply engaging book. The struggles of Elliot to cope with a difficult home life, troubles at school and then a god arriving in his cow shed kept us laughing out loud, turning pages and thoroughly gripped. I think it's a difficult act to pull off to have a story that is so funny, action packed and where you care a great deal about the main characters plight. And all of this plus the Queen making an even more surprising appearance that ...more
Robin Stevens
Dec 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm really excited about this one. It's laugh-out-loud hilarious, it's super smart (mythology geeks will be in Elysium) it's brilliantly written and it's got some fantastic characters. I totally fell in love with Elliot and the gods, and I think you're all going to love them too. 8+

Elizabeth
3.5 stars. It had some really good plotting, innovative, introducing characters from greek mythology. A good place to spark an interest and go and read some more about them.

However I think it was just a little bit uneven in the story telling, some chapters seeming a bit disconnected. It isn't really fully stand-alone - open-ended for the next in the series, which I'm not sure we want to read just yet.
Janette
Mar 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-or-ya
Fast moving and funny adventure story with lots of Greek gods making an appearance. Should appeal to upper KS2. It's not too long so less daunting for some more reluctant readers.
Suzanne
Aug 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
This was hilarious!
Kelly
Hilarious – Heartfelt – Adventure

Those three words are printed on the back of this book as a way of hooking in an audience and they were the perfect three words to choose. I picked up a copy of Who Let the Gods Out? quite a while back now after hearing my lovely friend Steph absolutely raving about it. As part of my quest to read more Middle Grade, I decided it was finally time to read it for myself and I was blown away. This book is BRILLIANT.

Elliot lives on a farm with his mother. There is som
Katy Noyes
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderfully funny Greek Gods-meet-human story, huge potential for the series

From the synopsis alone, I knew I was going to enjoy this, I love Greek myths, and hae enjoyed adult forays into similar subjects, with the Gods interacting with humans and the two 'cultures' clashing. This is not Percy Jackson either, while there is a serious topic at the heart of it, it's also rip-roaringly funny and some jokes really are intended for adults reading along or teenagers with a decent knowledge of myths,
Graine Milner
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What fun! So many laugh out loud moments, high adventure and clever ideas. I love the thought of Charon diversifying into grocery delivery, and there are so many others like that. Can't wait to read the sequel!
Niamh Anne King
Tries too hard to be funny and clever. It’s cringe worthy at times. There’s a good story in there, but just not up to the standard of other books in this age group.
Nickie
Feb 13, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Disappointing and surprisingly sexist
Jane Garner
May 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rollicking fun read. Greek mythology will never be the same again. Join Elliot and a feisty constellation called Virgo as they do battle with the very nasty Thanatos. Highly recommend for 9+
Michael Mitchell
In “Who Let the Gods Out” being able to survive comes with the ability to make it through the most challenging times, even when there are obstacles that make it difficult. Elliot Hooper a boy in England is attached to a heavy weight. Elliot is left with just his mother after the death of his grandparents. They live on a farm that has been passed down through generations and is about to get taken from them if they don’t get 20,000 euros by the time of their deadline.
The death of Elliot's grandp
Hannah Brown
Mar 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was Waterstones' Children's Book of the Month, and I am so happy I picked it up! It was a really cheery, funny little children's read.

I thought that the topics discussed in the novel were actually quite adult for being a children's novel. For example: Elliot is a young carer for his mum, who (I think) has a degenerative disease like early onset Alzheimer's. Elliot's house is about to be repossessed by the bank and/or sold to the interfering and really horrible next door neighbour. He e
Mark Buxton
Mar 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My name is Elliot, and I accidentally freed Thanatos from his prison under Stonehenge. I was only trying to save Virgo, a girl from the Zodiac Council, but Thanatos said he'd help my mom's illness. Well, the Daemon lied. Now, he's searching for the Chaos Stones that he'll use to get revenge on Zeus and torment the mortals on Earth. Virgo needs to recapture him, and she'll lose her immortality if she fails. My problems don't seem as important, but I've got to find some way to protect my mom and s ...more
Barbara
Twelve-year-old Elliot Hooper has more than his fair share of stress. Not only does one of his teachers have it in for him, but his preoccupation over his mother's health has led the headmaster, Graham Sopweed, to keep a close eye on the boy. Although the book starts off just like many middle grade novels depicting the struggles of a student trying to fit in and stay out of trouble with the authorities, it quickly shifts to something else when Virgo, an immortal, volunteers for a mission and cra ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
NZ Intermediate S...: Who let the gods out - Feb Standing Order 2 11 May 07, 2017 09:17PM
NZ Intermediate S...: Who let the Gods out 1 13 Feb 23, 2017 07:39PM

• Orphans of the Tide
  • The Boy At the Back of the Class
  • Cogheart (The Cogheart Adventures, #1)
  • Evernight
  • Crater Lake
  • Beetle Boy (The Battle of the Beetles #1)
  • The Day We Met The Queen: World Book Day 2020
  • Orion Lost
  • The Day I Was Erased
  • Check Mates
  • A Sprinkle of Sorcery (A Pinch of Magic, #2)
  • Darkwhispers: A Brightstorm Adventure
  • The Girl Who Speaks Bear
  • Battle of the Beetles (The Battle of the Beetles, #3)
  • The Middler
  • Boy in the Tower
  • Brightstorm
  • Letters from the Lighthouse

Who Let the Gods Out? (4 books)
  • Simply the Quest (Who Let The Gods Out?, #2)
  • Beyond the Odyssey (Who Let the Gods Out?, #3)
  • Against All Gods (Who Let the Gods Out?, #4)