Start by marking “The Smart Money Woman” as Want to Read:
The Smart Money Woman

The Smart Money Woman

Meet Zuri. She’s living a fabulous life. Great car, gorgeous apartment, well paid job.

Meet Zuri. Broken down car, an apartment she cant afford, a job she’s about to lose.

What’s a broke girl to do?

With her best friends Tami (the flighty fashion designer), Lara (the tough oil and gas executive), Adesuwa (the conservative lawyer), and Ladun (the fabulous housewife), Zuri g
Published August 9th 2016 by Matador

Toyin A
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am usually irritated with books that claim to teach you how to put your money to good use but are downright boring, offer no practical steps and make you feel like demanding a refund of the time and money wasted on a misadventure.

I must admit, I had a subconscious bias against this book when I picked it up. Not for any particular reason as I had neither heard of Arese (the author) nor read any of her works but when I realised it was her first book, I decided to schedule it for a book review in
Olamide Opadokun
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Because too many Nigerians peddle themselves as experts in fields they have no business in, I did not have high expectations for this book. After just one chapter, I was sucked in. Arese really knows her stuff. The Smart Money Woman is saturated with wisdom about personal finances that is explained very simply.

The book narrates what Zuri is going through and at the end of each chapter are ‘Smart Money Lessons’ and tasks that correlate with Zuri’s stage of financial consciousness. Combining fict
Rokcie Roxcita
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! it speaks to young (and not so young) African women on money. How to make it, how to spend it and most importantly how to invest it. It is written as a novel with breaks of advice and assignments. When I started reading it I thought Zuri(the main character) was quite the dumb slay queen but as I read further I realized Zuri is most of us.
I am not doing the book justice with this review because I am not explaining it well but if you are a lady(or hey a man) and you are Afri
Tobi Nifesi
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I GAVE UP.

I tried. I really did. I tried to get past the first few chapters of this book. I just couldn’t. From a literary perspective, this book failed me. It was hard to read. The author penned this down like she was writing in a journal or a group chat. Nevertheless, I’m sure there’s some substance in there. The author understands the financial struggles of the average millennial and offers some pretty good advice every now and then. I just didn’t have it in me to sift through the rubbles -
Mobola
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started reading the acknowledgements and found myself finishing up Chapter 3 not long after, I was so sucked in. It is not your typical "educational" or inspiring book, so impressed with how relatable and informative it is!

Every young woman needs to read this, the earlier the better. I wish this came out years ago.
Yewande Oyebo
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story line isnt amazing but i love the fact that its a finance book you just cant put down!!
Amazing book.
I felt like a changed person after reading!!
Bajen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book! The format it is written in is genius and the take away from it is life changing, for me at least. This is a book I look forward to going back to. Life changing I tell you. Get it! Read it!
Mace
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once you get the rather tedious story-line which, for me, was completely unrelatable and a tad bit tacky, you will absolutely LOVE the money lessons. These lessons are pure gold. Clearly Arese knows her stuff when it comes to finances. I particularly loved the focus on women and Arese's attempt at addressing the gender-specific challenges women face when it comes to our attitude towards money, finances and building wealth. I would put up with the story just to keep reviewing these nuggets.
Nneka Ngene
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Storyline was hella weak, but I love how she tied financial literacy into it. Lots to think about.
Fayo Iginla
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool story BUT it teaches you how to save money! Something we all need to learn how to do! Was definitely intrigued!!
Carole Joshua
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I'd urge every lady out there to read. The book contains real life lessons that no one will ever sit down to explain them to you. As ladies we've always believed that money matters is a man's job. Well, that's not the case. Its time we take charge and change our mentality..
It is a good book. I wouldn't mind reading it again and again.
Neelam Babul
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books which has a story within it that teaches great lessons to the reader. I enjoyed reading Zuri's story and her transformation from a woman who limited knowledge in respect of managing and her finances. Desirous of improving her financial literacy, she embarks on a journey of controlling and managing her finances.

The lessons I acquired from this book are immensely powerful and practical.
Mwongeli
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the lessons about money matters. Very relevant as I had started thinking about finances and my future.

I really did not like the mention of designers that are "really good but affordable." She was covertly advertising their products. Unfortunately for the author and her designer friends, the brands she's advertising may really be lost on those of us who are not Nigerian. She mentioned a lot of designer products, which I could not relate to. Saying "designer shoes" or "expensive" or "tren
Queensly
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of Zuri who, because of her reckless spending, finds herself with a mountain load of debt with no assets or savings. She then begins a journey to redeem her financial standing by going on a juice cleanse of sorts. The lives of her friends and their money issues are also thrown in as well and made reference to throughout the book.

I enjoyed the approach the author used, I.e, utilising fiction with key lessons and I sure did learn a few tricks to track my finances. Howe
Kesha K.
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
First off, let me say that I love the cover. However, I was a tad bit confused at first. I thought this book was a self-help guide until I realized that it was a combination of a novel with financial advice thrown in. I understand what the author was doing. It just didn't work for me. The author seemed to use the naira loosely and not consistently and so; as an American reading, I had a tendency to forget which system she was referring to and at times cost didn't make sense. The novel is largely ...more
Ewuranna
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many money lessons to learn especially for the young woman (man too i guess). A must read for every young African woman: It will help shape your money mindsets including savings, acquiring assets, spending habits and so many others. It will get you to set some new financial goals and take active steps to achieving them.
And it's the most engaging smart money book i've seen; something an African woman can easily relate to.
Sharon Nyasha
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't care so much for the story line of the book when I started. It seemed very cliche, stereotypical and very much centered on Nigerian life so I had a hard time relating to it. However, the lessons were gold! The book was an eye opener for me as a young woman professional who hasn't put so much thought into navigating personal finances. The book is written in a way that makes the topic of finances for young women important but given a story line that doesn't make the issue daunting.
Pauline
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aside some typos i enjoyed this book. It opened my eyes to the need to save and also invest in order to get better return on the investments. Also, every penny being saved must be for the achievement of a clearly set out goal or achievement.
Very interesting and informative book.
Oduenyi
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Page Turner. Profound wisdom presented in a simple way

I enjoyed reading this book. It's revolutionized my way of thinking. I'm excited about this next chapter of my life
Temi Aina
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
First finance book that doesn't just point out why one's finances are the way they are but also gives practical examples of how to get out of debt (at least the Nigerian way)
Ilana
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aimed to offer women from Nigeria inspiration and support in pursuing and managing their financial dreams, this book by the owner of the website Smart Money Africa, Arese Ugwu, appeals every woman, especially those from areas where their status and achievements are not yet equally considered with men.
The Smart Money Woman is the story of Zuri, a gifted woman working in the investment sector going through times of financial hardship only because she was unable to plan her budget and balance her
Magrt Aniam
Jul 14, 2018 rated it really liked it
Hajara
Aug 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
T H E S M A R T W O M A N M O N E Y ✨
WHERE ARE ALL MY MONEY GOING?! Lol yeah that's always what I asked myself whenever I'm broke and I think I'm earning the money that when I wasn't employed I though half the amount will sustain me for the month, but guess what there's that popular saying "more money, more problem". But wait what if you prioritise your spending? What if you invest money? What if you know your long-term and shirt-term goals?! These and more are the things I learnt from 'The Smar
Nyasha Machakaire
Dec 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
Better than expected! I must say I had judged the book by it’s cover and would never have read it had it not come recommended. The book was easy to read and understand. It is relatable, offers useful insights about finances and gave me a lot to think about. I am glad I read it and would recommend it to any young or middle aged woman, especially within the African context. However, I found the storyline cheesy, there was excessive name-dropping and the fact that everything had to be referred to u ...more
Eephie
Mar 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I find myself not drawn to ‘overly’ acclaimed books that try to teach you how to manage your finances. So after two years, I decided to see what all the fuss was about and it was totally worth it.

The book draws you in with the flow of being a novel and at the same time sending home salient points. The characters down to a T are so relatable. I also think I understood more about investment from this book than any other I’ve tried to read cos Zuri made Omosede “break it down for a sister.”

I’m so g
Chinyere
Sep 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Inspiring!

Personally, this book just gave me the big push that I needed to go out there and go for the things I want, believe in myself and do it with passion. Would definitely recommend to all young women especially those who are just starting/in the middle of their careers. It’s never too late to change your financial status.
Nyakwezi
Aug 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Unexpectedly inspiring

Inspiring read. I bought the book thinking it was just a novel. It is so much more, it gives a lot of tips and information using Zuri as a practical, relatable example. A book I would recommend for any young woman (or not so young), something I would want my daughter to read.
Joy Musy
Oct 19, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It is a practical book without jargons or hidden agenda.A straight to the point with life lessons.Am working towards the same goals portrayed on this book and will surely live a comfortable life with minimal headaches
Reenyreads
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fairly a good read. It highlights important aspects of sustaining your finance to an A game through different characters with different financial hurdles and backgrounds. Really loved the stories of each character while learning how to manage my finances properly. Overall it’s such a nice book.
Tosin Ade
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself highlighting a lot and it honestly made me think of my life and how I’ve been so careless with Money.

If you’re looking for a book that’ll give you some finance/ money saving tips, then this is the book for you.