Start by marking “The Smart Money Woman” as Want to Read:
The Smart Money Woman

The Smart Money Woman

Meet Zuri. She’s living a fabulous life. Great car, gorgeous apartment, well paid job.

Meet Zuri. Broken down car, an apartment she cant afford, a job she’s about to lose.

What’s a broke girl to do?

With her best friends Tami (the flighty fashion designer), Lara (the tough oil and gas executive), Adesuwa (the conservative lawyer), and Ladun (the fabulous housewife), Zu
Published August 9th 2016 by Matador

Start your review of The Smart Money Woman
Toyin A
Nov 20, 2016 rated it really liked it
I am usually irritated with books that claim to teach you how to put your money to good use but are downright boring, offer no practical steps and make you feel like demanding a refund of the time and money wasted on a misadventure.

I must admit, I had a subconscious bias against this book when I picked it up. Not for any particular reason as I had neither heard of Arese (the author) nor read any of her works but when I realised it was her first book, I decided to schedule it for a book review in
Olamide Opadokun
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
Because too many Nigerians peddle themselves as experts in fields they have no business in, I did not have high expectations for this book. After just one chapter, I was sucked in. Arese really knows her stuff. The Smart Money Woman is saturated with wisdom about personal finances that is explained very simply.

The book narrates what Zuri is going through and at the end of each chapter are ‘Smart Money Lessons’ and tasks that correlate with Zuri’s stage of financial consciousness. Combining fict
Aisha (thatothernigeriangirl)
First off, the fact that Ugwu shares these knowledge in fictional form is brilliant. It means she’s aware that self-help books sorta easily lose their appeal and decided to use a better approach.
I love that
I also enjoyed and learnt a lot from the money advice she offered. I’ll be implementing most of them and I’ll be more intentional with my money.
However, a lot of things didn’t sit well with me. For one, there was too much advertisement in this book; from names of people to names of products an
Rokcie Roxcita
Apr 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing! it speaks to young (and not so young) African women on money. How to make it, how to spend it and most importantly how to invest it. It is written as a novel with breaks of advice and assignments. When I started reading it I thought Zuri(the main character) was quite the dumb slay queen but as I read further I realized Zuri is most of us.
I am not doing the book justice with this review because I am not explaining it well but if you are a lady(or hey a man) and you are Afri
Tobi Nifesi
Apr 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
I GAVE UP.

I tried. I really did. I tried to get past the first few chapters of this book. I just couldn’t. From a literary perspective, this book failed me. It was hard to read. The author penned this down like she was writing in a journal or a group chat. Nevertheless, I’m sure there’s some substance in there. The author understands the financial struggles of the average millennial and offers some pretty good advice every now and then. I just didn’t have it in me to sift through the rubbles -
Mobola
Oct 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
I started reading the acknowledgements and found myself finishing up Chapter 3 not long after, I was so sucked in. It is not your typical "educational" or inspiring book, so impressed with how relatable and informative it is!

Every young woman needs to read this, the earlier the better. I wish this came out years ago.
Bajen
Jan 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book! The format it is written in is genius and the take away from it is life changing, for me at least. This is a book I look forward to going back to. Life changing I tell you. Get it! Read it!
Yewande Oyebo
Jan 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story line isnt amazing but i love the fact that its a finance book you just cant put down!!
Amazing book.
I felt like a changed person after reading!!
izzy
Feb 16, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Meet Zuri, earning what is super high for a young woman in Nigeria today

Yet she is in serious debt mostly due to impulsive spending

We learn how to cut our spending and invest (not just save ) money in this one
Very good book
Adiah Oloma
Jun 17, 2020 rated it really liked it
Nothing is too small to save. Have a realistic plan, save, but let your savings work for you. It's a good read and an enlightening one. It opened my eyes to lots of things my eyes were closed to.
Sainabou
May 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I have learned so much I’m actually getting a money journal and I have read this book at a perfect time just when I was thinking about investing in stocks and real estate.... 🤔
Mace
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Once you get the rather tedious story-line which, for me, was completely unrelatable and a tad bit tacky, you will absolutely LOVE the money lessons. These lessons are pure gold. Clearly Arese knows her stuff when it comes to finances. I particularly loved the focus on women and Arese's attempt at addressing the gender-specific challenges women face when it comes to our attitude towards money, finances and building wealth. I would put up with the story just to keep reviewing these nuggets.
Morohunfayo
Jun 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Cool story BUT it teaches you how to save money! Something we all need to learn how to do! Was definitely intrigued!!
Nneka Ngene
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was ok
Storyline was hella weak, but I love how she tied financial literacy into it. Lots to think about.
Carole Joshua
Sep 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a book that I'd urge every lady out there to read. The book contains real life lessons that no one will ever sit down to explain them to you. As ladies we've always believed that money matters is a man's job. Well, that's not the case. Its time we take charge and change our mentality..
It is a good book. I wouldn't mind reading it again and again.
Akinmulewo Adebola
Jan 05, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The fact that you’d feel like you’re reading a non-fiction book the entire time is what makes this book a killer. I stayed glued to it the entire time. The characters are so relatable as regards to each financial stories. I enjoyed myself the entire time and that’s how you can tell a good book!!!!
Neelam Babul
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is one of those books which has a story within it that teaches great lessons to the reader. I enjoyed reading Zuri's story and her transformation from a woman who limited knowledge in respect of managing and her finances. Desirous of improving her financial literacy, she embarks on a journey of controlling and managing her finances.

The lessons I acquired from this book are immensely powerful and practical.
Mwongeli
Dec 03, 2018 rated it liked it
I liked the lessons about money matters. Very relevant as I had started thinking about finances and my future.

I really did not like the mention of designers that are "really good but affordable." She was covertly advertising their products. Unfortunately for the author and her designer friends, the brands she's advertising may really be lost on those of us who are not Nigerian. She mentioned a lot of designer products, which I could not relate to. Saying "designer shoes" or "expensive" or "tren
Queensly
Oct 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book follows the story of Zuri who, because of her reckless spending, finds herself with a mountain load of debt with no assets or savings. She then begins a journey to redeem her financial standing by going on a juice cleanse of sorts. The lives of her friends and their money issues are also thrown in as well and made reference to throughout the book.

I enjoyed the approach the author used, I.e, utilising fiction with key lessons and I sure did learn a few tricks to track my finances. Howe
Kesha K.
Nov 21, 2016 rated it liked it
First off, let me say that I love the cover. However, I was a tad bit confused at first. I thought this book was a self-help guide until I realized that it was a combination of a novel with financial advice thrown in. I understand what the author was doing. It just didn't work for me. The author seemed to use the naira loosely and not consistently and so; as an American reading, I had a tendency to forget which system she was referring to and at times cost didn't make sense. The novel is largely ...more
Sharon Nyasha
Mar 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
I didn't care so much for the story line of the book when I started. It seemed very cliche, stereotypical and very much centered on Nigerian life so I had a hard time relating to it. However, the lessons were gold! The book was an eye opener for me as a young woman professional who hasn't put so much thought into navigating personal finances. The book is written in a way that makes the topic of finances for young women important but given a story line that doesn't make the issue daunting.
Ewuranna
Jul 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
So many money lessons to learn especially for the young woman (man too i guess). A must read for every young African woman: It will help shape your money mindsets including savings, acquiring assets, spending habits and so many others. It will get you to set some new financial goals and take active steps to achieving them.
And it's the most engaging smart money book i've seen; something an African woman can easily relate to.
Pauline
Jun 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Aside some typos i enjoyed this book. It opened my eyes to the need to save and also invest in order to get better return on the investments. Also, every penny being saved must be for the achievement of a clearly set out goal or achievement.
Very interesting and informative book.
Oduenyi
Oct 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Page Turner. Profound wisdom presented in a simple way

I enjoyed reading this book. It's revolutionized my way of thinking. I'm excited about this next chapter of my life
Temi Adefioye
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
First finance book that doesn't just point out why one's finances are the way they are but also gives practical examples of how to get out of debt (at least the Nigerian way)
Coded Reader
Jan 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is the ultimate financial guide that you need to grow your money / spend wisely, any eye opener for me to be able to spend wisely.
Madeline Wilson-Ojo
Dec 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
The Smart Money Woman by groundbreaking author, Arese Agwu was a book I picked up hoping to learn a few lessons from. However I only had to read the first few pages of the sample I’d downloaded before I realised that I had chanced upon a life changing literary masterpiece.

The text introduces us to Zuri, a young professional Lagosian female, supposedly living her best life; she has a good job, rents her own apartment in no other neighbourhood but Lekki, and has a girl gang of equally stylish and
Folio Review
Jul 19, 2020 rated it did not like it
Reading a book is not as hard as many believe but I am a bibliophile so it comes easy for me. However, this was not the case with The Smart Money Woman, I had to force myself to finish reading it.

As the title denotes, The Smart Money Woman is about finances, aiming to be a proper financial guide for women who have issues managing their finances. I began the book with high expectations because of the positive reviews it had, only to have my hopes dashed when I read it.

It was a difficult read beca
Ilana
Oct 22, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Aimed to offer women from Nigeria inspiration and support in pursuing and managing their financial dreams, this book by the owner of the website Smart Money Africa, Arese Ugwu, appeals every woman, especially those from areas where their status and achievements are not yet equally considered with men.
The Smart Money Woman is the story of Zuri, a gifted woman working in the investment sector going through times of financial hardship only because she was unable to plan her budget and balance her
Whitlaw Tanyanyiwa Mugwiji
May 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
Money is a difficult subject to broach. Especially for many of us, who were brought up in families, where money was a conversations for adults. A conversation that was riddled with tension and stress because on the most part, money could not meet the family ends.

This book is a multiple of conversations over that difficult subject called money. Conversions with oneself, with one's partner, one's family and one's friends. Conversations all of us need to have, in order to improve each other's atti
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Born on a Tuesday
  • The Joys of Motherhood
  • Drunk
  • Changes: A Love Story
  • Unplanned (Kennedy Stern #1)
  • Blackass
  • I, Isaac, Take Thee, Rebekah: Moving from Romance to Lasting Love

News & Interviews

“Developing a wealthy mind-set requires the understanding of the concept that the way you spend, invest, and manage ten naira is the way you will spend, invest, and manage ten million.” 0 likes