Start by marking “Ogre Enchanted (Ella Enchanted, #0.5)” as Want to Read:
Ogre Enchanted (Ella Enchanted, #0.5)

Ogre Enchanted

(Ella Enchanted #0.5)

In this prequel to Ella Enchanted, which can stand on its own, young healer Evie is transformed into an ogre by the meddling fairy Lucinda. She’ll turn back only if someone proposes and she accepts!

Returning to the land and many of the characters from her beloved Newbery Honor–winning Ella Enchanted, Gail Carson Levine has written a delightful tale about a clever and endea
Published October 16th 2018 by HarperCollins

To ask other readers questions about Ogre Enchanted, please sign up.

Start your review of Ogre Enchanted (Ella Enchanted, #0.5)
Zazu
This one is hard to judge because I am so attached to Ella Enchanted that I kept constantly comparing it and trying to figure out who Evie was in relation to Ella. Which may be slightly unfair, but then again, there's no way GCL didn't think that's what we were all going to do! We grew up with Ella! We love her! (And if anyone dares mention the movie, I will gut you faster than an ogre.)

We DO get some more backstory on Ella's fam, but, without spoiling anything, I can definitely say that Evie is
Jessica
Jan 30, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Evie has a one-track mind: healing. She lives to heal people, to diagnose, to create remedies. When a friend shocks her with a proposal, though they are very young and she has never thought of him (or anyone!) romantically, she immediately refuses, to the disgust of the Fairy Lucinda. Cursed to be an ogre until someone proposes to her, Evie embarks on a series of adventures, trying to find a cure or come to terms with her new nature- because who would propose to a beast?

I loved how Evie was just
Iris
Okay Evie and Eleanor should have gotten married, I don't make the rules.

Aside from the fact that my sapphic ship didn't sail though, this book was a lot of fun! It wasn't as amazing as Ella Enchanted, but I enjoyed myself, and it made me sooo nostalgic.

***Pre-review, April 25, 2018***

A prequel to Ella Enchanted? That book practically WAS my childhood. I don't even know how many times I read it! So obviously I need this in my life.
Kate Willis
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was ok
First off, I have been waiting for this book!!! I found it at the unlikeliest of libraries and immediately snatched it up to bring it home. (Look at the shiny cover. :D )

I can always count on Gail Carson Levine to write a love story I can get behind wholeheartedly. She has a message of true, respect- and friendship-based love that is so rare in fiction. And I love how her romantic characters’ personalities always complement each to make them a great team. <3 I really appreciated that about this
Shreya
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
As a child I loved Ella Enchanted so I wanted to give Ogre Enchanted a try. Evie literally has no plan and should have figured out that she wouldn't have been accepted by society as an ogre earlier. Lucinda is literally so dumb, someone needs to teach her a lesson so see stops giving people her "gifts". I was not expecting an epidemic to be mentioned which was shocking. Did not need that harsh reminder of the real world.
McKenna
Oct 17, 2018 rated it did not like it
Jen
Nov 17, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: arc, buddy-reads, bea-2018
Not to be rude, but I just can’t read this book straight through. I jumped around enough to get the picture and I’m done.

This breaks my heart, because I LOVED Ella Enchanted, but this is nothing like it at all.

Don’t let my negativity affect your enjoyment of the book. The cover is GOEGEOUS and the writing isn’t bad, it’s just not in line with what I was expecting. I think dashed expectations are what is really filling me with such unhappiness regarding this book. If no Ella Enchanted, this boo
Amy
Tingling.
I do not think I ever want to read the word tingling again. Probably because I kept reading it as a euphemism for hormones - which maybe it was and maybe it wasn't. But the point is, it firmly coincided with the heroine's search for love and self-discovery and whatnot.
And I'm just not down with tingling in my middle school fiction.
This book felt very middle school. And kind of pointless. And rambling. And yet on-the-nose. And...
Oh gosh, I wanted so badly to like it!
I mean, an Ella Enc
Robin (Bridge Four)
I was afraid that Ogre Enchanted would feel a little like Shrek but it didn’t. I’m not sure if that is a good thing or a bad one.

Evie and Wormy have been friends forever but they are at an age where maybe one of them is starting to feel a little more for the other. When Lucinda shows up and Evie doesn’t accept a proposal from Wormy she is ‘punished’ for her own good and turned into an Ogre with only two months to find someone to fall in love with her and propose.

This is difficult for Evie becaus
Juliana
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book is a companion novel to Ella Enchanted that was actually quite fun to listen to. Some of the plot reminded me of Shrek, in that she's turned into an ogre and must find someone to propose (aka love her in that form) before time is up. It was just as well written as Ella Enchanted was and I really liked Evie. Despite her being turned into an ogre, she still wants to be a healer. She goes through a big adventure in the 62 days that she has to find someone to propose to her and it doesn't ...more
Vestacito
Apr 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Evie is a healer. She and her best friend Wormy live in Jenn. They are happy there until the day that Wormy proposes to Evie. Evie, having not thought much of marriage yet, turns him down. Unfortunately, Lucinda, the most irresponsible fairy godmother ever, was watching. Lucinda turns Evie into an ogre with just two months to find someone to marry her in order for her to be changed back. Evie sets out on a quest to see about finding someone to love her.

This is a prequel to Ella Enchanted, which
Leah
Jan 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kid-s-books, fantasy
I don't give out one stars lightly, and I suppose half of this should be on me, for expecting things I knew I would not get out of this book.

But god, did this book suck.

I am absolutely one of those people who grew up with Ella Enchanted, who consumed every single one of Levine's books with great excitement, seeking out everything she had ever written as a little ten-twelve year old. I even liked the movie adaptation of Ella. So when I saw this book show up in the new stack at the library and I r
☼Shannon☼
This is not about Ella. This is about Evie and the story has little to nothing to do with Ella.

I was excited to get more Ella when I first heard about this but lowered my expectation on what I was getting. I knew this wasn't going to be about Ella and would probably be a different kind of story than Ella was and I was right. Its a good story on its own.

This one's a bit more Lucinda heavy and we get to see more of Lucinda's exploits. I didn't realize how much Lucinda did and its almost like a dy
Toya
Nov 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Evie is an incredible healer. Evie and her best friend Wormy (Master Warwick) live in the town of Jenn. One day, Wormy surprises Evie by confessing his love and proposing to her. Evie completely disregards the proposal as Wormy is just her best friend. Unfortunately for Evie, Lucinda (the disaster of a fairy from Ella Enchanted ) witnesses the rejection and proceeds to turn Evie into an ogre. She gives Evie less two months to accept the proposal of a suitor or stay stuck as an ogre forever. Wit ...more
Jen
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a tough read. I loved Ella Enchanted, and loved the world that Gail Carson Levine has created, but this one had some problematic messages, that I felt would deter me from handing to a child. This book felt older than the 8-12 age range as well, as it is about a teen being forced to marry, or else remain an ogre forever (she rejected a proposal and is being punished by the fairy, Lucinda). The main character goes through the book thinking that every person she meets could be the love of ...more
Molly
I'm a huge fan of Gail Carson Levine and, unfortunately, this book did absolutely nothing for me. The pacing was too fast, the character development was almost non-existent, the writing was sloppy for the first half of the book, and the message I took away after finishing this story is all sorts of problematic. I wasn't a fan of the romance either. I almost DNF'd this but I decided to give it a chance and it did get slightly better just past the halfway mark, it just wasn't enough to cleanse me ...more
Valerie Cotnoir
Nov 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I've been looking forward to this Beauty and the Beast retelling easily for 4 years. And I was not disappointed. Heartfelt, earnest and hilarious, this book kept me guessing until the end. I loved how simple Evie's desires were and how relatable her struggles were. I also loved the depictions of the different suitors and their strengths and weaknesses and how there is someone just right for everybody. I read the last third today...couldn't read fast enough. 😍
Kate Buechler
Ella Enchanted is very, very dear to me and reading this didn't ruin my fondness for that book, which is about as high of praise as I can bestow on this one.
Bethany
Mar 04, 2020 rated it liked it
If you liked Ella Enchanted (I grew up with it!) this is a fun new tale in the world of Frell that (very) loosely adapts Beauty and the Beast with a flipped gender. Evie is a healer with a best friend named Wormy. When he unexpectedly proposes marriage and she turns him down because they are so young, she angers the fairy Lucinda and is turned into an ogre unless she agrees to marry someone within 60 days. Cue a messy love triangle, learning to be a smelly, fearsome ogre, the search for real lov ...more
Elley Murray
Sep 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
First of all, HOW IS THERE NOT MORE HYPE OUT THERE ABOUT THIS?! Gail Carson Levine does it again. This is another amazing installment in the world of Ella Enchanted, Fairest, and Ever. Lucinda is at it again with her "gifts," and they're just as terrible as ever. This book takes place before the events of Ella Enchanted, and you might even recognize some of the characters (like Ella's mother and fairy godmother!)

This is such a fun fantasy with some romantic elements. It's written for middle-gra
Brandy Painter
Jan 25, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, middle-grade
Ogre Enchanted is a prequel to Ella Enchanted. It follows a young healer named Evie who is turned into an Ogre by Lucinda. This is Evie's punishment for refusing a marriage proposal from her best friend Wormie. Honestly, I found the story to be rather slow in many places, and it was hard to not roll my eyes frequently at both the way Evie talked and at her antics as she believes herself to be in love with a person she meets as an ogre. I admit it didn't help knowing who that person was. I do won ...more
Juny
Oct 31, 2018 rated it liked it
This book kind of disappointed me because of my expectations. I mean it's set in Ella Enchanted's world so of course it was interesting and good but just didn't enthrall me like Ella Enchanted did :( But what book can?

SPOILERS

I fan girled out whenever they mentioned a character from Ella Enchanted. I really liked that Lady Elenor was in this and we kind of got to know her and sort of compare her to Ella. At the same time getting to know Sir Peter more was just sadder. It made me dislike him even
Catherine ~All for the greater glory of God~
I loved this book! Ella Enchanted was my favorite book for maybe five years of my life, so I was SO excited to find out a prequel was being written. It didn't disappoint! It took me way longer than it should have to realize Sir Peter and Lady Eleanor were Ella's future parents. It was wonderful learning more about them. As usual, the characters, plot, prose, and world were excellent.
Vicky Again
It felt underdeveloped. Not as endearing as A Tale as Two Castles, not as addictive as Fairest or Ever, and not as fresh as Ella Enchanted. Somewhat underwhelming--I wish Levine did a little more with the ogre element rather than just "i'm hangry boo hoo"
Alison
Oct 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, review-copy
*Received in exchange for honest review from Wunderkind PR

Fairy tale retellings are my favorite. Ogre Enchanted takes those elements that I love and makes them into something new.

What I loved:

-The inversion of the Beauty and the Beast story.
-Our beast is a young girl who was turned into an ogre.
-Lucinda was reminiscent of all the other evil fairies (Hello, Maleficent).
-I really enjoyed ‘seeing’ inside the ogre’s mind.
-You really got to see Evie struggle to keep a hold on the human side of hers
Sha
Feb 01, 2020 rated it liked it
1. I see stories being marketed as gender-flipped beauty and the beast and I'm invariably disappointed because it's always a narrative of "pretty girl gets changed into monster and the guys who knew her before she was changed help her get back to normal." Which sortof negates the whole "a monstrous appearance is not the most important thing about a person!" part of the story. This book isn't an exception.

2. The whole first third of the book is somehow- chaotic and dissociated? The combination o
Stephanie Neuerburg
Oct 26, 2018 rated it really liked it
This companion novel to 1997's classic ELLA ENCHANTED is more a prequel than a sequel, but I'll try not to say much more than that in order not to give away any of the truly DELIGHTFUL tie-ins to the original novel. Evie is a charming, hardworking, sensible heroine with a huge heart - her adventure to break Lucinda's curse recalls Ella's, with its own originality. I love Levine's feminist takes on classic fairytales because she allows space for all of her heroines to choose love and romance when ...more
Yvonne Olson
Dec 20, 2018 rated it liked it
I think this is one of my least favorite Gail Carson Levine titles.
While I still enjoyed it, and her, it wasn't as strong as I wanted it to be.

When I had heard this book was coming out, I went to my boss and started screaming about how I needed it. It seemed so cute and Ella enchanted is a book I will forever love.

Ogre Enchanted just seemed a little trivial - not enough character growth, too much sporaticity in the plot, and too much making fun of tropes, I feel.

I found myself confused about whe
Natalie
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
Set in the world of Ella Enchanted (one of my favorite books of all time!) I was super excited to read this novel set in the same universe.

However, I didn’t like Evie anywhere near as much as I liked Ella. Ella is vivacious and fun; Evie is dull and obsessed with people’s posture. She has none of the quick wit of Ella. Also, the fact that she has two months to make someone fall in love with her made the whole thing instalove-y.

Gail Carson Levine is a great writer and definitely has a way with
Madison
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Ogre Enchanted is as enchanting and humorous as its predecessor Ella Enchanted, and will delight old fans and new readers alike. Ogre Enchanted is a modern-day fairytale, with a strong and independent lead character, and threads of friendship and romance. Simple and unique, this twist on a loose retelling of Beauty and the Beast will delight (and possibly disgust) young readers.

Evie, though only fifteen, is a gifted healer. Her passions are herbs, healing tonics and devoted attention to her pati

• The Princess Curse
  • Grounded: The Adventures of Rapunzel (Tyme #1)
  • The Queen's Secret (The Rose Legacy, #2)
  • More than a Princess (More Than a Princess, #1)
  • Enna Burning (The Books of Bayern, #2)
  • The Rose Legacy (The Rose Legacy, #1)
  • Disenchanted: The Trials of Cinderella (Tyme, #2)
  • Warriors: Omen of the Stars #1: The Fourth Apprentice
  • 赤毛のアン (10歳までに読みたい世界名作, #1)
  • Song of the Court
  • The Strangers (Greystone Secrets, #1)
  • Daisies and Devotion (Mayfield Family, #2)
  • A Captive of Wing and Feather: A Retelling of Swan Lake (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #5)
  • A Dream of Ebony and White: A Retelling of Snow White (Beyond the Four Kingdoms, #4)
  • Snow Whyte and the Queen of Mayhem
  • Cursed: Briar Rose's Story
  • The Collectors (The Collectors, #1)
  • The Princess and the Fangirl (Once Upon a Con, #2)
Just letting you all know: I'm only going to review books I love. There's enough negative criticism without me piling on. A book is too hard to write.

Gail Carson Levine grew up in New York City and began writing seriously in 1987. Her first book for children, Ella Enchanted, was a 1998 Newbery Honor Book. Levine's other books include Fairest; Dave at Night, an ALA Notable Book and Best Book for Yo

Ella Enchanted (2 books)
  • Ella Enchanted (Ella Enchanted #1)