Start by marking “Lightspeed Magazine, August 2016 (Lightspeed Magazine, #75)” as Want to Read:
Lightspeed Magazine, August 2016 (Lightspeed Magazine, #75)

Lightspeed Magazine, August 2016 (Lightspeed Magazine #75)

4.05  ·  Rating details ·  58 Ratings  ·  15 Reviews
LIGHTSPEED is an online science fiction and fantasy magazine. In its pages, you will find science fiction: from near-future, sociological soft SF, to far-future, star-spanning hard SF--and fantasy: from epic fantasy, sword-and-sorcery, and contemporary urban tales, to magical realism, science-fantasy, and folktales.

This month, we have original science fiction by Mercurio
Published August 7th 2016 by John Joseph Adams (first published April 30th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Lightspeed Magazine, August 2016, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Lightspeed Magazine, August 2016

karen
Dec 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
WELCOME TO DECEMBER PROJECT!

last year, i carved out my own short story advent calendar as my project for december, and it was so much fun i decided to do it again this year! so, each day during the month of december, i will be reading a short story and doing the barest minimum of a review because ain't no one got time for that and i'm already so far behind in all the things. however, i will be posting story links in case anyone wants to read the stories themselves and show off how maybe someone
Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈
Jan 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jess ❈Harbinger of Blood-Soaked Rainbows❈ by: Miriam
I'm reading this because ummmm......
mermaids and dragons??

And from reading the little bio of the author, I have decided that she's pretty awesome and we need to be friends.
____________________________________

I've got to thank my lovely friend Miriam for pointing this story out to me because I truly loved it. She recommended it to me because she knows I am actually a mermaid in a weird human suit and am always on the lookout for great stories about my people, of which there are not many at all.

H
Tadiana ✩Night Owl☽
Aug 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Review for "Those Brighter Stars" by Mercurio D. Rivera. Review first posted on Fantasy Literature:

Ava is a single mother and a consultant in communicating with animal species, which she understands somewhat due to her extremely high empathy levels. One afternoon, while preparing Thanksgiving dinner with her father and her 12 year old daughter, Ava receives a call from a man who had been working with her the past several months. Archie tells her that the spaceship is now emitting transmissions ―
Althea Ann
Feb 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
In this gritty tale, we meet a village headwoman, in a world that's been blasted by the military force that her people call "The Heroes" - near-invincible spacemen in shiny silver ships who rain down destruction from above, and worse, have dumped abandoned men into their town who have infected their genetics with DNA mutations. The village is a doomed remnant, and we know it...

As always, I love the visceral quality of Hurley's writing, but this piece did have a few moments where my suspension of
Cathy (cathepsut)
"Those Brighter Stars" by Mercurio D. Rivera, 6030 words, ~14 pages
Aliens come to Earth, fairly typical first-contact-scenario. Emphatic skills, three generations of mothers and daughters and their failure to communicate with each other and others. The exploration of Ava's emphatic skills was interesting, but sadly didn't go very far. 3/5 stars

"Trip Trap" by Kevin J. Anderson and Sherrilyn Kenyon, 4210 words, ~10 pages
Oh, a bridge troll, that's different!
"I don’t like fast food. I want something
G33z3r
Right from the cover, which instantly put me in mind of some overwrought family melodrama masquerading as science fiction, I was prepared to hate this issue. Okay, maybe I shouldn't judge a magazine by its cover. Not as bad as I expected.

"Those Brighter Stars" by Mercurio D. Rivera –
The cover story, which is indeed an overwrought family melodrama, and estranged daughter writing to her mom after the death of daddy. Daughter has been working with a research team preparing for the impending arriva
Thomas
A good story about our choices and the outcomes from them, told from the perspective of a woman pushed too far in a civilization on the edge of extinction, on a distant planet in another solar system. Thought-provoking.
Peter Tillman
Nov 29, 2016 marked it as to-read
Stallled out early. Not for me?

Reprint: http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/fic...

Rich Horton's review:
Julie
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Way to RIP OUT MY HEART TRISTINA
Pie
Jun 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Beautiful writing and a beautiful world. I was a little confused at the beginning, but once I understood what was going on, I was fully entranced by Neal and Killian's story and the wars between the mermen, dragons, and humans. Very excited for 27 Hours now that I've been introduced to this author's writing!
J.C. Long
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
this wonderful short blew me away and makes me even more anxious for October so I can finally read 27 HOURS!!
Gabrielle Carolina
Dec 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: bir16
Dragons and Sirens in a religious war! Read it!!!!
Dymphna
Jan 18, 2017 rated it liked it
Those Brighter Stars
Mercurio D. Rivera
A personal story of an empath involved in first contact with aliens, her time in preparation and her relationship with her daughter while addressing the story to her mother. Very good. 8/10.

The War of Heroes
Kameron Hurley
A woman sees her town plundered, everyone killed by the 'Heroes' and seeks her own revenge. 7/10.

Taste the Singularity at the Food Truck Circus
Jeremiah Tolbert
Very Heston but to the extreme, in a futuristic setting. 6/10.

Laika Comes Ba
Amanda Prado
Sep 22, 2016 rated it really liked it
Tristina's bio on the Lighstspeed Magazine site says "she enjoys stories with monsters and kissing and monsters kissing" and if that sparks your interest (bc it sure did mine) then I greatly recommend reading this short story, because let me tell you, she DELIVERS. Somehow a war between sirens, dragons, and humans, worldbuilding about the creation of their world, and a distressingly sweet love story all get enough limelight to pull at your heart strings, all in this short story that, yes it's a ...more
Cora Snow
Dec 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: anthologies
4/5.

Positive: My favourite story of this issue was the tragic 'The War of Heroes'. Other favourites were Those Brighter Stars, the Food Truck Circus, Trip Trap, The Assassin's Secret, The Red Piano, and the Siren Son. It was a diverse issue.

Negative:
Xandra (Literary Legionnaire)
11.26.16 Just reread this beautiful short story and I'm still as obsessed as I was before.
Jolie
Kate
Sep 14, 2016
Sandra
Jan 30, 2017
John Joseph Adams is the series editor of BEST AMERICAN SCIENCE FICTION AND FANTASY. He is also the bestselling editor of many other anthologies, such as ROBOT UPRISINGS, DEAD MAN'S HAND, BRAVE NEW WORLDS,WASTELANDS, and THE LIVING DEAD. Recent and forthcoming books include WHAT THE #@&% IS THAT?, OPERATION ARCANA, PRESS START TO PLAY, LOOSED UPON THE WORLD, and THE APOCALYPSE TRIPTYCH (cons ...more
More about John Joseph Adams

Lightspeed Magazine (1 - 10 of 97 books)
  • Lightspeed Magazine, June 2010