Start by marking “A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1)” as Want to Read:
A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1)

A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1)

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  1,831 Ratings  ·  199 Reviews
When town trouble maker, Louella Drummond, drops dead in front of Isolde Quinn's pet store just minutes after threatening both Issy and her cousin Graeme, the police in the small lakeside town of Silver Hollow assume it's from natural causes.

... Until it's discovered that Louella was murdered.

Not just any murder, though. Murder by paranormal means. Dark magic that could
Published August 23rd 2016 (first published August 22nd 2016)

Brenda
Louella Drummond was a nasty person whom no one liked – but when she died on the doorstep of Issy’s pet store, only Issy and her Quinn cousins believed it had anything to do with magic. The local policeman, Owen, was sure it was a heart attack. But when it was discovered Louella had been murdered, all kinds of troubling events started in Issy’s little town of Silver Hollow.

With Issy and her cousin Gray high on the suspect list, the witchy friends needed to find the real killer and quickly. And w
Montzalee Wittmann
Apr 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Audible version
Rtc
Kara
Jun 26, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
"A Spell of Trouble (Silver Hollow #1)" is my first DNF audiobook.

While the narrator was good, the story is boooorrring! At 13%, I just couldn't take anymore. While not lesfic, it sounded like a cute paranormal murder mystery. But...did I mention it was booorrrring?

There are lots of high ratings for this book, and I certainly understand that tastes vary, but the book really felt targeted toward young teens, or perhaps pre-teens. While 12-14yo's would probably enjoy this series...it's definitely
Ian
A Spell of Trouble is a bit like a Banana Split Sundae. Even the worst ones are still pretty good.

description
Sally906
Apr 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
the first in a new series that I really enjoyed. Paranormal people live among humans in a small town - and the paranormal would prefer if their presence wasn't known. When a human is killed by a spell that can only come from a dark spell the FPBI come to town to investigate. Yep, FBI for paranormal crimes! Issy and her cousins start to investigate who dunnit as they are the prime suspects. Lots of laughs and lost of spooky bits - and maybe a hint of a future romance for future books in the serie ...more
Trish
Okay, but not great. The characters and setting have potential, but the book seems somehow unfinished, and the editing isn't brilliant, so there's a lot of repetition. Also, the romance plot seemed forced and unconvincing.
Elisa Hordon
Aug 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Seriously awesome supernatural mystery.
Such a great first book in what will be an exciting new series.
A great meld of supernatural and human a great mystery with enough twists and turns to keep me guessing, lots of exciting potential for future stories, great great animal characters, wonderful people characters and great description of the town and the characters.
I throughly enjoyed it
Trish R.
Apr 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
Waited and waited for something to happen. Nothing did!

Let me start by saying even if I had hated this book I would have still liked it, simply because it was NOT written in the first person. Every time a book about magical witches sounds good I look at the sample and sure as shit some author puts herself in the place of a magic witch and starts with the I, I, I, I, I, I, I. The same thing goes for a shifter or vampire or Fae or Fairy or any magical creature that doesn’t exist. YOU are not any
Jeannie and Louis Rigod
Sep 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This mystery series has a new follower...me. Who can not like a cozy murder mystery surrounding four loving cousins. The main character we follow in this first in the series is Isolde or Issy Quinn, she owns a pet store named "Enchanted Pets." Right off you realize there is something magical in this town or at least some of the residents. Issy works with familiars such as cats, dogs, salamanders and birds etc. Raine grows plants, and so on. There are other supernaturals residing in the lovely to ...more
Crystie
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
It was okay. Some phrases bugged me. ("Another thing coming?") It was a little too narrative; everything was explained to me as I read it. The author assumed the reader was too dumb to keep up without the explanations. The "romance" was forced. There was no reason for the characters to like each other. The fact that they had feelings for each other was just another explanation - but the text lacked chemistry. I don't need everything spelled out for me. It pulls me, as the reader, out of the stor ...more
Jess the Audiobookworm
Oct 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: oct-tbr
3.75 ★ Audiobook⎮A Spell of Trouble was a cute prelude to Halloween. As a cozy mystery, it checked almost all the right boxes. It took place in a small town, had an interesting group of characters, and a “whodunit” that I just couldn’t crack. Plus, there was the added benefit of it being a paranormal cozy mystery. That’s really what drew me in. It reminded me somewhat of the Halfway Witchy series.

On the surface, A Spell of Trouble seemed a lot more appealing to me than it was once I began. The m
Kat Lebo
Sep 18, 2016 rated it liked it
A Spell of Trouble, Silver Hollow Paranormal Cozy Mystery
By Leighann Dobbs and Traci Douglass

I have read other of Leighann Dobbs’ works, mostly the Mystic Notch mysteries. And I’ve enjoyed them. I have no former knowledge of any works by Traci Douglass. So, I’m not sure if what I disliked about this book has to do with the co-authoring (I’m usually not a big fan of co-authored works) or with the fact that this is the first novel in a series and is just struggling to get its backstories in place
Minx -The Genre Minx Book Reviews
A Spell of Trouble is the series starter for Silver Hollow and I am so excited to have found this series! I am a fan of cozy mysteries and this one was super cute but also quite interesting. The story is set in the town of Silver Hollow where most of the inhabitants are of the paranormal variety. Isolde Quinn is the main character and she is a witch who runs the local pet store that caters to both the magical and non-magical inhabitants of the town. The paranormals in Silver Hollow liked to fly ...more
Christy Whiteker
Mar 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Was a good book and different from what I normally read. But not a 5 star book.
Marsha Spohn
Reviewed at Haunted Bookshelf

I had such a good time with A Spell of Trouble. It’s full of interesting characters, a mystery that certainly is different and not easily solved, a hint of romance and some of the most unusual characters I’ve come across in a long time.

Silver Hollow is a paranormal town, well for the most part. There are humans scattered about this lovely location but for the most part it is full of paranormal citizens. Mainly, witches. Issy and her family have been here for a long
Angelina Kerner
Sep 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Book Title: A Spell Of Trouble (Silver Hollow Paranormal Cozy Mystery #1)
Book Author: Leighann Dobbs
Source: Downloaded from Amazon Kindle Unlimited.
Rating: 5 stars

Oh my stars! Leighann Dobbs has been added to my favorite author list. Her writing is amazing, such imagination and now I am a fan of cozy mysteries. After reading the book, I signed up for her notifications, received a free e-book as a gift (which is awesome because many of you guys know that I am working on giving out a free e-book
Amanda Wilcox
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was excited to start this given the paranormal/witchy touch it has, but I was a little disappointed in the growth of the story and the development of the characters. I'm hoping that the next in the series is better since the base is layed for the town and it's people already. The mystery was well disguised with lots of possibilities up until the actual reveal which was great though!
Starla B
Jan 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2017
I absolutely love this book! I love the idea of the familiars talking and the FBPI. The characters were fun and I could barely put the book down. I was sad when I finished it until I found out I also have the next book in the series. I can't wait to read it and find out what will happen next and if the FBPI come back!
Sandy
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was amazing
A spell of trouble

I really enjoyed this book. There is nothing better than a good easy-to-read magic story . I'm looking forward to reading the next one in the series. Thanks so much .
Steph Warren
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
I’ll combine these two into just the one review, as they are similar in all the essentials (other than different plots, of course!). Before I get started I just want to say how much I love the covers for this series of books – sharp, bright and stylised, I was drawn to them immediately.

A Spell of Trouble and Spell Disaster are books 1 and 2 in the Silver Hollow series of ‘paranormal cozy mysteries’. The best way to explain the sub-genre is what you get if you cross Miss Marple, Mills & Boon
Caitlin Copp
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: april-2017
Louella Drummond is determined to cause trouble for pet store owner and witch Issy Quinn. This is complicated by the fact that she dies in front of Issy's store after accusing her of selling endangered frogs. When it is determined that Louella is killed by dark magic even more suspicion is cast on Issy and her cousins who are also witches. Issy is even more worried when the FBPI, a subset of the FBI which deals exclusively with paranormal beings shows up in Silver Hollow. It is rumored that the ...more
Maya
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I picked this up because of the cover - and witches, but it turned out to be pretty lackluster. Flat characters, a main character who is not the smartest and a very simplistic mystery story. I'd say it's a children's novel, if there weren't so much swooning over pretty men (and cute girls). For YA it seems rather childish, though.
Amanda A
May 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Anne-Kathrine
Twist and turns in this book, really did enjoy it and wasn't sure who did it until the end. Love having all the different familiars playing a part throughout the book :)
Tammy Wilcox
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Fun Read

It was a very fun read and a great murder mystery with witches. I would recommend this to every age.
Roo
Jul 12, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I gave up. It was just too trite, too awful, too twee.
A plethora of unnecessary adverbs, ridiculously pretty characters with no real progress or actual thought. Bleugh.
Nicki
The best word I can think of to describe this book is basic. Everything about it is basic: the writing, the characters, the world.

Issy and her cousins are American witches, very self-absorbed and very one-dimensional. Issy is smart, funny, kind, sexy and beautiful. Apparently. That's what we keep being told, but it's not apparent from anything she actually does. She seems pretty stupid to me.

After a murder right outside her shop, she meets an FBPI investigator (that's the Federal Bureau of Par
Georgie Mac
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
Clever mystical who done it.

An adult version of the Harry Potter series. Good verses evil in this clever tale of death, greed, human frailties and magic. Cousins with hereditary magic fight the forces of evil, resolve the death of a village resident, and prevent the unique favor of the town from being outed.
The cousins live their lives quietly sharing some of their gifts with their community. Most of the community are protective of their own.
Then a Murder is committed that draws the attention f
Pamela
Aug 26, 2016 rated it really liked it
Magical cozy mystery.

A fun new series from cozy mystery writer, Leighann Dobbs. Silver Hollow is a magical town with several families of witches and other paranormals. It's a bit confusing keeping up with the rules of the various law enforcement agencies. Almost to much absorb. Solving the murder mystery became secondary to sorting out the use of dark magic. Recommend this series for fans of Leighann Dobbs. Enjoyable read but not my favorite from Ms Dobbs.
Deborah Whipp
Nov 27, 2016 rated it did not like it
The premise made this sound like a fun, little mystery. But by 13% in I found the book a little too cute and many of the characters trite including the victim, the nail-filing, gum-smacking receptionist, and the leering, rude developer. Rather than wading through more pages of this, I'm declaring CNF.
Goodreads Librari...: Please change page count 4 11 Apr 03, 2017 05:08AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please combine 3 12 Sep 01, 2016 04:49AM
USA Today bestselling author, Leighann Dobbs, discovered her passion for writing after a twenty year career as a software engineer. She lives in New Hampshire with her husband Bruce, their trusty Chihuahua mix Mojo and beautiful rescue cat, Kitty.

Her book "Dead Wrong" won the "Best Mystery Romance" award at the 2014 Indie Romance Convention.

Her book "Ghostly Paws" was the 2015 Chanticleer Mystery
More about Leighann Dobbs

Silver Hollow (4 books)
  • Spell Disaster (Silver Hollow #2)
  • Nothing to Croak About (Silver Hollow #3)
  • Cry Wolf (Silver Hollow Mystery #4)