Jump to ratings and reviews

Waiting for the Laird

Will a ghost be the key to his past and their future?

Widow Lara MacLaren hungers for the hunky architect she hires to restore her derelict Scottish manor, but is she ready for a relationship...and is Ian ready for her twins?

Ian Paterson is eager to awaken Lara's passionate side. Yet, if he reveals his ancestral claim to her estate, he risks losing her and his job. His clan’s history, lost over the years, may be hidden in the walls—along with a ghost waiting for the laird's return.

When they uncover a room full of Jacobite treasure, proof of his ancestry, Ian realizes he’s out of time. If the ghost is real, it could expose his secret and destroy his romance with Lara. Ian must convince her she and her twins are the future he truly wants.

198 pages, Kindle Edition

Published October 19, 2016

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Willa Blair

27 books222 followers
Willa Blair is an Award-winning Amazon and Barnes & Noble #1 Bestselling author of Scottish Historical, light Paranormal, and Contemporary romance. She has been featured on and contributes to USAToday’s Happy Ever After romance blog, Savvy Authors, Romance University, and more.

Her books have won numerous honors, including the Marlene, the Merritt, National Readers’ Choice Award Finalist, The Reader’s Crown finalist, Historical Romance finalist and Honorable Mention in InD’Tale Magazine’s prestigious RONE Award, NightOwl Reviews Top Pick, and InD’tale Review’s Crowned Heart.

A life-long student and reader, she has been a stained glass artist and instructor, a foreign language teacher, a computer scientist, an analyst, a manager and an executive. She has visited five continents and can get by in several languages. She loves scouting new settings for books, and thinks being an author is the best job she’s ever had.

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
0 (0%)
1 star
0 (0%)
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews
Profile Image for N.N. Heaven.
Author 6 books1,782 followers
January 17, 2020
Widow Lara MacLaren is fulfilling her late husband’s dream of restoring their Scottish manor but the last thing she expected was to fall in love with her architect/restoration project manager. He’s awakened emotions she hasn’t felt in years. Is she ready to let a man into her life and into her bed? She’s unsure but her twin children have already taken a liking to him. It’s only when they uncover a secret room filled with Jacobite treasure and unleash a ghost that their relationship is put to the test. Will Lara and Ian find a way to embrace love or will Ian’s secret destroy their fragile connection?

Waiting for the Laird is one of those romantic paranormal mysteries I can’t get enough of. The heroine is an American widow with young children making a go of it in Scotland. The hero is a Scottish architect with a few secrets. The manor being restored is housing many secrets including a ghost waiting for the laird to return. The setting is Scotland… need I say more? The attraction between Lara and Ian is immediate but I loved the slow-burning pacing of their romance. She’s still in mourning and he understands it’s necessary to take it slow. The mystery behind the manor and what secrets lay beyond the walls is beautifully written. The more I read, the more I wanted to read, so much so, I read late into the night. I couldn’t stop reading. There’s a fair share of conflict but such is the life of a single mother trying to juggle everything and still find time to fall in love. Realistic characters, sweeping romance and a paranormal mystery make this a must-read! Highly recommend!

Favorite Character/Quote: Ian. He’s one conflicted man and I had such fun watching his squirm. He’s a gregarious man with a gentleness I truly enjoyed. When he’s tested, his character shines best. A laird after my own heart.

My Rating: 5 stars

Reviewed by: Mrs. N

This review first appeared: https://www.nnlightsbookheaven.com/po...
Profile Image for Maranda.
930 reviews30 followers
October 15, 2017
Scottish Castle renovations reveal treasure, answers to heredity, and a guardian ghost. Lara's husband had a dream of moving his wife and twins from California to a historical castle. As the uncertainty of life presents itself the death of her husband leaves Lara with herself and children in a foreign keep in need of major repairs. Hiring contractor Ian Paterson presents secrets and romance to Lara. Quick read with a unique visitor. "A copy of this book was presented by The Wild Rose Press via Netgalley with no requirements for a review. I voluntarily read and the comments here are my honest opinion."
640 reviews
October 3, 2016
After the sudden death of her husband, Lara MacLaren, decides to stay in Scotland and finish the work she and Angus started on their Scottish manor. The hot architect she has hired to help her finish the restoration has her thinking that life will go on without Angus.

Ian Paterson wants Lara but if she finds out who he really is he is afraid that will be the end of them before anything can get started. When they uncover proof of who Ian really is he knows he has to come clean with Lara. With the help of a very interesting ghost, he has to prove to Lara that she and the twins are more important then his ancestry.

This is a heartwarming, fun story about family, heritage, starting over and one wonderful ghost! Absolutely enjoyed this Scottish tale! Willa Blair has such a gift in bringing these stories to life. I couldn’t wait to find out what the secrets were going to turn out to be. I could just picture the castle, countryside and of course Fergus, the ghost! Great read!

I received an ARC for an honest review!
Profile Image for April.
1,839 reviews66 followers
November 3, 2016
Waiting for the Laird by Willa Blair is yet another fantastic Scottish Romance by this author! I adore her storytelling and was not disappointed in this intricately woven tale.

This is the story of young widow, Lara MacLaren and Ian Paterson, the handsome artitect she hires to help renovate her Scottish Inn, and Lara's mischievous young nine year old twins, Amy and Alexander. Set amidst the Scottish Cairn Dubh Manor. Steady paced with engaging characters and a uniquely intriguing storyline. Filled with secrets, a ghost, possibly, Scottish artifacts, Jacobite treasures, ancestry, second chances, romance and love.

A fun, heartwarming love story, that will capture readers hearts and hold them glued to the pages of this fabulous Scottish read. Lara's twins are a priceless addition to a magnificent story! Ian is afraid if he reveals his secret, he has an ancestry claim to the Manor, but will he lose Lara, her twins and the chance for a HEA and a family? Or will it destroy their budding romance? Can Ian convince Lara he loves her and the twins, that they're his future, or lose all he holds dear?

A magnificent story from start to finish! Willa Blair is a fantastic Scottish Romance storyteller! A must read for fans of Scottish Romance, Scottish history, and a delicious romance. Ms. Blair has a way of holding readers attention and capturing their hearts! A most enjoyable and satisfying Scottish Romance!

I received a complimentary copy.

Rating: 4.5
Heat rating: Mild
Reviewed by: AprilR
Profile Image for Linda.
680 reviews1 follower
August 15, 2017
Such an amazing story!

Ian and Lara's story absolutely magical! All through the ups and downs of their feelings for each other and the restoration of Cairn Dubh. Ghosts lets not forget ghosts. This is a story you can't put down because you can't wait to get to the end and at the same time hope it never ends. This is definitely going into my keeper stack.
Profile Image for Mary.
2,689 reviews18 followers
October 20, 2018
This is a intriguing, romantic, thrilling and entertaining story. Ian is kind caring, unassuming and stubborn. Lara is strong, determined and tough. Lara's husband Angus dies not long after buying a scottish manor to refurbish. Not knowing why Angus wouldn't hire Ian to do the job, Lara hires him. In the beginning Ian just wanted to make sure the house was safe and done right, and hoping that he might find something that pointed to it being his ancestral home. But along the way he develops feelings for Lara, and her son and daughter. He keeps her in the dark about his connection to the place, thinking she'd fire him and he would never learn about his heritage. It take her a while to realize that he does have a tie to the house, but it takes him spelling it out for her to understand completely. By then they have found a few things that are truly fascinating. This is a page turner that belongs on everyone's TBR list.
I received a complimentary copy of this book from Hidden Gems. This is my honest and voluntary opinion of it.
Profile Image for Annette.
1,523 reviews7 followers
May 2, 2019
Lara is a wealthy young widow and the mother of twins, Amy and Alex. She lives in a castle which is in the process of being repaired and updated.

Ian is the contractor who has assumed the job of doing the renovation. He has become fond of Lara and her children. He actually has fallen in love with all three of them.

But, there are secrets. The entire village has helped Ian keep his secrets.

This is a fun and lovely story. The castle has a ghost as well as hidden rooms and treasure.

Ms Blair has created characters who are attractive and charming. Each of them makes the story interesting as well as entertaining.

The plot moves quickly and is filled with enough action to hold the reader's interest.

This is a good, quick read and I enjoyed it very much.
Profile Image for Nicole Normand.
1,337 reviews21 followers
October 15, 2018
I received a copy from Hidden Gems; this is my honest review.
-This story pulls you in from the very beginning. The mystery of the man and the secrets around town were kept until the end, even though you could somewhat figure it out by yourself.
-Fun read. Sometimes I could feel the cold up my spine when the friendly ghost was talked about or appeared in some way.
-There was a bit of drama that lasted about 3 pages, so it was resolved quite fast.
-This is a clean Scottish paranormal romance. The romance is not heavy, it's just natural and balanced. Ian and Lara make a great couple. Loved that the twins were no brats, just being kids.
-I would have liked to hear more about the legend and the editing needs another pass. Nothing serious.
2,778 reviews18 followers
October 15, 2018
Light 💕romance set in Scotland with a heap of the 👻supernatural! Fergus, heel or disappear!
October 12, 2018
Format: Kindle Edition
Nice, cozy ❤ romance set in Scotland, I liked the Scottish touches and customs and the mystery of the manor's hidden places but found the way the heroine and her kids reacted to the idea of a ghost in their house a bit over the top, as was the Halloween night encounter with their surprise visitor. The romance got passionate but not graphic. It's pretty light and none of the characters have much depth, but a nice quick read and a hopeful ending.

I read a complimentary advance copy of the book; this is my voluntary and honest review.
Profile Image for Katie.
170 reviews1 follower
November 25, 2018
Hard to put down

It's been awhile since I've read a book that all I can think about is picking it back up every free minute! This book did just that. An added bonus is that this is a modern day love story. It is so hard to find great modern love stories based in Scotland. You will want to figure out Ian and the secrets he holds. The chemistry between Lara and Ian jumps off the pages. I was a little bummed with the ending. While it was the happy ever after the reader would want, for some reason it didn't pop for me the way the rest of the book did. No mater, I highly recommend this book!
Profile Image for Stephanie.
1,326 reviews13 followers
October 15, 2018
A little paranormal, A little American and a whole lot hunky Scottish romance. This story was a tad slow going but it was still fun to read. I loved how the twins never ceased their attempts to get into trouble. It was interesting to see Alex being the mediator and Amy being the willful child. The budding romance between Ian and Lara was interesting to see it come to fruition. And of course Fergus took the whole show! Although this is my first book by Willa Blair, it surely won't be my last.

I was gifted an ARC in return of an honest review.
751 reviews2 followers
October 18, 2018
Lara’s husband died and she has 9 yr old twins Amy & Alex to raise in Scotland where she is restoring the ancient home Cairn Dubh. She hires Ian to continue the renovations her husband started not knowing of his ancestral connections to the place. Ian falls in love with Lara but is afraid to tell her how he’s connected to Cairn Dubh. he surprise is who is waiting for the laird. I enjoyed reading this wonderful story with a HEA.
Profile Image for Victoria.
3,231 reviews
October 17, 2018
I loved this read so much, it might not be that long compared to others but for me the story flowed well and was well written. It had good relationships, chemistry, strong family bonds and some mystery. A nice little read for this halloween. I am voluntarily leaving this honest review after receiving an ARC.
Profile Image for Danielle Carpenter.
1,472 reviews5 followers
October 18, 2018
This is a really fun story, with a ghost and a castle. Love comes a second time for Lara Maclaren in the form of Ian Paterson. Only Ian holds a secret that can shatter Lara's heart. It's the reason that Her late husband didn't hire Ian for the renovations. I loved the story but I felt that the climax was a bit rushed.
Profile Image for Jacki.

The setting
Standalone
HEA

What I didn't like:
No chemistry between the main characters

I will try another book by this author.
I voluntarily received an ARC from NetGalley.
Profile Image for Sherry Westendorf.
4,447 reviews19 followers
October 16, 2018
Good, exciting, enjoyable, emotional read. Storyline and the characters is a mesh of good writing. It could use more physical interaction between the two main characters. I was given a review copy by hidden gem and voluntarily review it.
Profile Image for Barbara.
16.6k reviews8 followers
October 17, 2018
Widow Lara MacLaren and architect Ian Paterson work on her home but Ian is keeping a secret. A well-written story that I enjoyed reading. I received a copy of this book from Hidden Gems and I am voluntarily leaving a review.
34 reviews1 follower
October 20, 2019
Waiting for the Laird

Interesting book, especially in Oct.-- Spooky time. It has a touch of history and comedy as well real life times with kids. I recommend this book for 'easy racing's
Profile Image for Pat .
18.3k reviews3 followers
October 12, 2018
The good storyline and well rounded characters made this book a total pleasure to read! I enjoyed this book so much that I ended up reading this book in one sitting!
Profile Image for Kathy Brickert.
2,376 reviews8 followers
October 22, 2021
Fun exciting tale

What a great ghost story! This is a perfect Halloween read! Just the right blend of mystery, spookiness, and romance! Great read!
444 reviews2 followers
March 7, 2017
Although I am familiar with Willa Blair's Highland historical romances, this is the first contemporary book of hers that I have read. Though I tend to prefer the historical reads, I did enjoy this one. After all, with a setting in an old Highlands castle, a treasure to be found, and a ghost dog,what's not to like? It has been a year since Lara's husband died suddenly leaving her with nine year old twins and a partially restored castle. Ian Paterson has been hired to complete the restoration. Ian has secrets, at least secrets he is keeping from Lara. What will those secrets cost Ian? Lara? Is Lara ready for a relationship after widow hood? And just how does Fergus, the ghost dog figure into all of this? As stated before I prefer historical reads, but really enjoyed this one. It is a shorter book so it is a fairly quick read. I received an advanced reader copy from the publisher. All opinions are my own.
Profile Image for DelAnne Frazee.
2,027 reviews18 followers
ASIN: B01K5B7L3M
Reviewer: DelAnne
Reviewed For: NetGalley
My Rating: 4.5 Stars

I received a copy of Waiting For The Laird from NetGalley and the publisher in exchange for my honest review.

Lara MacLaren, a recent widow, has hired Ian Patterson, an architect to help her remodel the Scottish Manor she and Angus started converting into an Inn before his death. Ian jumps at the opportunity to get inside Cairn Dubh Manor to search for evidence of his rightful claim as heir to the estate and clan. As the two work together their relationship evolves and Ian soon fears his secrets cost him his relationship with Lara and her twins, Amy and Alexander. Is finding the evidence worth the cost of their future happiness?

This is a must read for anyone who enjoys Scottish history based romances. Willa Blair shows readers her talent of holding a reader captivated from the very beginning. She lets her relationship between the characters to evolve at a believable pace. Her characters are multidimensional and likeable. The plot is intriguing and the story flows smoothly and quickly. My rating is 4.5 out of 5 stars.

Amazon link: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K5B7L3M/...

Barnes and Noble link: http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/waiti...

The Reading Room link: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.ph...
Profile Image for poppy.
4,592 reviews25 followers
November 5, 2016
I really liked this book a nice fun read that you wont want to put down recommended to all.
Profile Image for Martina.
42 reviews3 followers
April 21, 2017
Lara, her husband and her twin daughter and son decided to buy a house in a small village in Scotland and reformed it. Unfortunately, in a trip back to the US, the husband, Angus, died unexpectedly. With the loss still fresh Lara decides that the best thing for her and her children is to go back to Scotland and finish the reforms in the house. To help with the construction and the reforms she hires Ian Paterson, a Scottish and handsome man who is interested in the house history and his connection to his own family and his new boss.

Add to the mix a bit of history and a ghost and you have a charming and romantic read.

‘We never had a chance to say goodbye. The thought always made her chest feel like hollowed-out shell, dry, brittle and ready to shatter into a thousand pieces’

Beautiful setting

When I read that the book was set in Scotland I decided to pick it up. It captures perfectly the rhythm and the life style of a small village. I liked the paranormal and the history element that was added to the story. I think it merged perfectly with the pace without overtaking it, as the romance was still the main focused.

Slow burning and heartfelt romance

The best part was the interactions between Lara and Ian. You can feel their attraction and the sparks raising as well as their reluctance to take a step on it, each for different reasons. It is described in a way that wants you to know more without being corny.

Second chances in life

This is a wonderful book about love and loss. It describes perfectly the stages of loss (the denial, the acceptance…) and how it affects each one in a different way and how we try to overcome it. I couldn’t help but feel sorry and sad for Lara when she was remembering or talking about her late husband. But in a way, it also tells you that time heals and that life brings second and third chances you just need to take them.

‘Lately, the strength of her yearning for him was beginning to fade, and although she supposed that was another step in the grieving process, it unsettled her’
Displaying 1 - 27 of 27 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.