Start by marking “Mollie Is Three: Growing Up in School” as Want to Read:
Mollie Is Three: Growing Up in School

Mollie Is Three: Growing Up in School

"No adult can escape the adult perspective; but simply recognizing its inevitable limitations in a children's world enables a few gifted educators to accept the existence and validity of whole kindergartens full of different perspectives. One such person is Vivian Gussin Paley. . . . Her books. . .should be required reading wherever children are growing."New York Times ...more
Published December 15th 1988 by University of Chicago Press (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Mollie Is Three, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mollie Is Three

Start your review of Mollie Is Three: Growing Up in School
Patricia
May 01, 2018 rated it liked it
I like how it's a new way to look at children's play and how it provides a whole new perspective and her opinions of the experience is very interesting to use when interacting with children.

This is a good book to get a better understanding of children and their world of play between their peers.
Buffy
Mar 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents of 3 year olds
As always, Paley brings enlightenment. Through observing without judgment and reflecting, she opens up the process of child development in a way that makes sense - not clinically, but personally.

I read this at completely the right time. It gave me such a new insight into the uses of dramatic play in building social skills. And made me decide that the chum does need 3 mornings of school so he can learn how to negotiate friendship.
Megan L.ong
May 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book if one is interested in Early Childhood Education and the conversations that occur in a preschool classroom. This book was a required read for a class I was in and I was able to read it in two days, which is a rarity for me. I enjoyed the perspective and learned about the significance of a multi-age group classroom.
Emily
Jun 11, 2008 rated it it was amazing
-understand how children learn through dramatic play
-understand how children learn better from each other than they do from adults
-experience the teacher's mistakes, they're not hidden
-experience the intellectual barriers of 3 and 4 year olds as well as sudden leaps of understanding
Red
I LOVE these books - they're short, lyrical, beautiful, and hold the children with such tender specificity and realness that I recognize them immediately. Vivian Gussin Paley attacks real questions, offers real moral insight, and can actually write. it's a beautiful combination.
Jamie
Feb 07, 2009
Caitlin
May 07, 2008
« previous 1 3 next »
Vivian Gussin Paley is an American pre-school and kindergarten teacher, early childhood education researcher, and author.

She taught and did most of her research at the University of Chicago Laboratory Schools and was the recipient of a MacArthur Fellowship. Despite her status in the field today, she has described the first thirteen years of her teaching career as being an "uninspired and