Start by marking “Carpe Noctem (Immortalis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Carpe Noctem (Immortalis, #1)

Carpe Noctem

(Immortalis #1)

Bloodlust, fanatical vampire hunters, thousand-year old vendettas, and a pair of sharp, new fangs. Newly-turned vampire, Alyssa got a lot more than she bargained for when Lysander saved her from a pair of rapist on the college campus of UNLV. Immortality is not as pretty as all the books and movies had portrayed it, and Alyssa's having a hard time with the change.

"Becoming
Published (first published January 1st 2010)

To ask other readers questions about Carpe Noctem, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Carpe Noctem

Start your review of Carpe Noctem (Immortalis, #1)
Literary Ames {Against GR Censorship}
I'm going to be honest, the first 30% was 1 star. I struggled against the awkwardness of the writing and really wanted to put it down and read other things especially when Lysander, the 2000-year-old vampire and leading man, openly admitted to his newly sired vampire child that he'd watched with curiosity while she was tortured, almost raped and about to be dealt a death blow.
'I regret that my fascination with the brutality of their attack prevented me from stopping them before they had done
Dicey Grenor
Dec 12, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This story is centered around a woman (college student) who has had a very bad day, ending with her being turned into a vampire to save her life. Thereafter, the reader is taken on Alyssa's journey to learning what living with vampirism means for her. We watch her struggle with saying goodbye to her mortal life and adjusting to her new life with her maker Lysander.

I enjoyed the beginning and the end. Somewhere in the middle, I was bogged down in lots of dialogue that didn't move the plot along.
Kate
Apr 12, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Paranormal Fans
Recommended to Kate by: Katie Salidas
Shelves: 2010
As I had not yet heard of Katie Salidas, when asked to review Immortalis Carpe Noctem, I wasnt sure what to expect. However, after this first taste, I am certain we shall be hearing much more about Katie and her talents! After experiencing the turning through the eyes of a newborn vampire in Immortalis Carpe Noctem, it is a certainty that readers will be lined up for the next adventure in Immortalis: Hunters & Prey coming in 2011.

I genuinely enjoyed this story! It was very interesting to
Laurie Garrison
Immortalis Carpe Noctem is a great mix of Urban Fantasy, romance and Dark Fantasy. Its very hard for me to enjoy reading a UF book with me being a true romance reader, but this story I really enjoyed and I am looking forward to reading the next book. Be warned this story has some scenes are brutal. You get murder, rape and these vamps kills their human blood host innocent or not. I liked the way this story is written in Alyssa POV you get to really know her.

Alyssa is waking home alone when a
Steph
Immortalis Carpe Noctem was a dark introduction into the life and struggles of twenty-five year old, Alyssa. While walking home one night she's brutally attacked and on the verge of death when Lysander saves her.

Lysander is an ancient vampire and he saves her by turning her. He "knew she was far too injured to survive if {he} left her. {His} sloth in attacking [the men that attacked her] would be the cause of her innocent death, and {he} couldn't allow it. She did not deserve death, so {he}
xtina
Jun 13, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you can get past the poor grammar and awkward dialogue, you might actually enjoy this one. I found it entertaining and occasionally even poignant.

The main character, Alyssa, was a little grating at times. While I admired her stubbornness in some instances, at other times it seemed out of place and unnatural, like the author decided that "stubborn" was a primary trait of Alyssa and so felt obligated to make sure she demonstrated this characteristic at least twice in every chapter, even if it
iamjenai
Feb 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is hard to rate. As you can see from this blog, I rarely rate a book 5-star unless I absolutely loved the book. I wanted to give this a 5-star rating because I truly enjoyed, or even maybe loved it. However, it's not the same level as my love for Vampire Academy and other books in the 5 stars category. So how do I rate this book? Let me try.

What I loved in this book was the story of a newborn vampire. A lot of vampire books out there goes straight to the "after" stage but rarely we get
Michelle, the Bookshelf Stalker  Queen of the Undead
This book was a very quick, enjoyable read. It had all the elements I love in a good Urban Fantasy novel (remember these are all the elements I love not necessary what makes a good Urban Fantasy novel in general). It had horror elements, strong world building, a good solid story, and romance (ok, not really romance but straight lust turned into romance but that is just a small technicality).

The author spends a large amount of time world building (can we use world building as verb, if not, pardon
Andrea
Jan 23, 2011 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Paula  Phillips
May 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Immortalis Carpe Noctem - Book One - Katie Salidas- 2010

"Becoming a Vampire was easy , Living with the condition-now that's the hard part"
Do you enjoy reading Vampire books ? Read the likes of Lynsay Sands , Chloe Neill , Rachel Caine and enjoyed them ?. If you answered yes, to any of those questions then this book is definitley one to add to your I must read list and if you are anything like myself , I guarantee you have the list written down somewhere or at least you belong to a site like
Nick
Mar 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
You don't need to be a fan of the vampire genre to appreciate what Immortalis: Carpe Noctem has to offer. We all know about about the successes of Twilight and The Vampire Diaries, but Immortalis ups the ante by reminding us that those books are for "young adults" and this is for the critical reader who isn't interested in being coddled.

Picture early Ann Rice without the endless back-stories and you can get an idea of Mrs. Salidas' considerable talent. Her creation of vampire history is superb,
Donna (BLHmistress)
I read a couple of Katie Salida's books before and fell in love with her style of writing, so I knew I had to get this series. She didn't disappoint, in fact I think I became even more of a fan of hers.

The story draws you in from the very first page and doesn't let go until the very last page. The fact its written in first person is even better, yes you read this right I actually am becoming a fan of first person. What, at least to me is unique, is that you get to experience what its like to be
Cheryl
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Las Vegas is a city of chance. You roll the dice and hope that lady luck is on your side. Unfortunately for twenty-five year old Alyssa, she ended up with a bust. Alyssa gets attacked and is on the brink of death when she meets Lysander.

Lysander is a vampire. He gives Alyssa a second chance at a new life. At first Alyssa does not appreciate that Lysander has turned her. Though with Lysanders teachings, Alyssa learns what it takes to be a vampire. She is ready to take on Sin City.

Immortalis:
Kiki
Jan 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like the more gritty vampire tales like this one. There is a price, an internal conflict among other life changes, to have to live with. Ms. Salidas created this aspect of the vampire world very well. The heroine had no easy go of it. She really had to struggle to adapt to her new life and let go of the old one.

The lore was well thought out, and I appreciated the old Catholic connection (quite inventive). Ms. Salidas creates a great mix of vampire mythology, a wonderful balance between the
Laura's Book Addiction
what can i say it was awesome i loved it cant wait for the 2nd book to see what the next book brings for alyssa and lysander :0)
Deanna
Nov 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017, series, fantasy
Alyssa unwisely chooses to walk home alone one night when her friend is unable to meet her for coffee. Attacked by two human males, she is rescued and turned by Lysander. Still trying to navigate the basics of being a vampire, Alyssa's life becomes even more dangerous when she is threatened by the ancient head of a large vampire clan who was once Lysander's mate. At the same time, Santino, a vampire who specializes in hunting and killing other vampires for the Catholic church arrives in town.

A
J.R. Geoghan
Jun 19, 2017 rated it liked it
I wanted to like this story. But, I must admit that the main character's cluelessness got the better of me around halfway. She is so incompetent that it strained credulity in my mind. I did read through to the end but doubt that I'll go on to the other books in the series.
Tammy
Sep 29, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: uf, indie-self-pubbed
3.5 Stars!

Book Summary: Explore the emotional upheaval that is the transformation from human to vampire.
Bleeding to death after brutal mugging on the campus of UNLV, Twenty-five year old Alyssa, is rescued by the cold and aloof, vampire, Lysander. Taking pity on her, he shares the gift-and curse-of immortality. She awakens as a vampire and is soon devastated by harsh realities of her new way of life: An unyielding thirst for blood as well as the loss of her friends, her independence, and her
When Alyssa is walking home alone late at night she is brutally attacked by 2 muggers. Lysander rescues Alyssa but she is so badly injured that she is almost dead leaving Lysander no option but to change her into a vampire or watch her die. Waking up to discover she has been turned into a vampire comes as quite a shock to Alyssa - she had no idea that vampires even existed. While trying to come to terms with her new life Alyssa also has to deal with a powerful vampire mistress who isn't happy ...more
Crystal
Oct 01, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this story with Alyssa and Lysander. Alyssa was turned into vampire against her will. She was dying and the only way for Lysander to save her was to turn her. Becoming a vampire isnt easy but siring one is drama. I could actually connect to Alyssa. She was so innocent but spunky. The way the author told her story completely entrapped me. You got to connect with the character on so many levels by watching her try and adjust to her new found life but also how she felt about ...more
Athenna
Alyssa was Just trying to have a fun night out after a bad day. Her best friend stand her up leaveing her to walk home alone. Once she is on her way home she is jumped and beaten by a group of men. Then saved by a strange man then her whole life changed in that instant.
Lysander takes pitty on her and desides to change her , feeling if he would have acted sooner on her attackers she would to be lying her dieing.

He brings her to his home and trys to teach her how to acept this new life but
Shayay
Sep 05, 2016 rated it liked it
I had a bit of a problem rating this because I really liked the premise and the writing, but the main character got on my nerves! She is very bratty, whiny, and very immature. She's in college, I think it was mentioned she's 25, but she acts like she is frigging 12 years old, so I had a hard time rooting for her. The story starts with Alyssa being attacked and nearly raped by 2 guys, but luckily Lysander saves her, but it is too late for her to go to the hospital, so because Lysander is a ...more
Alexia Purdy
Sep 21, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If there was a book that portrayed the raw emotions and reactions that a freshly turned vampire goes through, Id say this is it. Alyssa is a college student who, after a vicious attack while she walks home from her favorite hang out leaves her near death, an unlikely rescue gives her a second chance at life, as a vampire.

I really enjoyed this book, it was different from other vampire novels in which the heroine takes a long time to adjust to her new life. Her rescuer Lysander is quite patient
Claudine
What happens when a vampire saves your life during a near brutal almost rape and turns you? How would you cope with needing, no, thirsting for blood all the time? Even if you don't want to kill another human being to obtain that blood?

This is what happens to Alyssa. She is stood up by her best friend late one night so decides to walk home alone. She is accosted by two unsavoury characters who nearly kill and rape her. Instead, they are killed and she is saved by an ancient vampire, Lysander.
Wise Louise
Apr 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because I loved Twilight but wanted a more adult read, and I got just what I asked for! It took me to a dark, gritty place within few flips of the pages and I was hooked.

Immortalis revolves around the main characters Lysander and Alyssa, after he turns Alyssa after a brutal attack that would have killed her had he not intervened. They are up against vampire hunters as well as a vampire queen. The character Alyssa was loveable and a little ditzy in places, and Lysander a
Kathy
Feb 24, 2013 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Man, I didn't really like this book because the main character was so annoying. I only finished it because I was hoping the author would pull a Joss Whedon and kill her off.

Alyssa is a self-pitying 25 year old when she's brutally attacked. Quite brutally. Her attackers are dispatched by the vampire, Lysander, who turns her to save her from dying from her injuries.

So, now we have an immortal vampire who's a self-pitying, whining, screw up. Here's the thing, when you've only been a vampire for a
Rie Conley
Mar 01, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Once I got into this book, I enjoyed the plotline especially the tales the Lysander tells Alyssa about the ancient times of being with the coven. As a history fanatic this was fascinating. I'd truly love to see his book.

Alyssa is not immediately likeable as I found her a bit weak and selfish, but she grew into her own as the story progressed. Her goodness shines through even when she does a horrendous act.

Lysander is very intriguing and could not resist his charms. He is strong silent and
texxie-PRUFreads.blogspot.com
This book is hard for me to rate. While I loved the initial idea of the book, at times, it felt as though it was'nt all coming together. Alyssa, the female lead is only likeable/tolerable at times. Other times, I find myself wanting to skip over her endless inner dialogue. Romance is present in this book but it was a hard sell for me. I felt the two leads lacked chemistry and their one on one interactions did'nt flow as well as I would have liked. The two steamy scenes in this book were nicely ...more
Denise Verrico
Apr 30, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review-Immortalis Carpe Noctem is a fast-paced read for those who enjoy a darker urban fantasy novel. These vampires have a bite and arent afraid to go for the jugular. Many of the old traditions of vampire lore are upheld but presented with a new twist. Author, Katie Salidas sets her story against the glittering backdrop of Las Vegas, (complete with a few hands of Texas Hold em) and creates a world were rival factions of vampires and a fanatical religious sect are engaged in a bloody war. ...more
Raven Carluk
Mar 15, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Immortalis Carpe Noctem by Katie Salidas was an enjoyable read. It takes place in Las Vegas, so I recognized places she was talking about. It made the book a little more intimate for me. Since she's also a native, it meant she wasn't fudging it. Nothing like someone using your locale, and botching things. Her vampires were required to kill, but they weren't ravening monsters. They had powers and weaknesses, and were well-balanced. Just enough romance to be a love-story, just enough action to ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
$0.99 Sale at Amazon. 1 9 Aug 16, 2011 09:56PM

• Dissension (Chronicles of the Uprising, #1)
  • Realm of Beasts (Legend of the Nameless One, #1)
  • The Titan's Treasure (Olympus Academy, #1)
  • Inspirational Habits of the Wealthy: The secret behaviours that distinguish the rich and successful from the masses
  • Walk of Shame (G-Man #6)
  • A Spinster at the Highland Court (The Highland Ladies Book One)
  • In Search of Love (Convenient Arrangements, #2)
  • Matthias's Miracle (The Quasar Lineage, #2)
  • Fierce Highlander's Bride
  • Beneath (Running from the Devil, #1)
  • Skies of Olympus: Books One, Two & Three (The Immortality Trials Book 1)
  • Breaking the Cowboy's Rules (Wildhorse Ranch Brothers #1)
  • Wired (The Solomon Brothers, #1)
  • Shade and the Pure-Blood Faeries (Shade Series, #4)
  • Ice Mermaid
  • The Final Enemy
  • Nanny for the Billionaire (Billionaires of Manhattan #2)
  • Mother of Darkness (Renegade Guardians, Prequel Novella)
Katie Salidas is a best-selling author known for her unique genre-blending style.

Host of the Indie Youtube Talkshow, Spilling Ink, nerd, Doctor Who fangirl, Las Vegas Native, and SuperMom to three awesome kids, Katie gives new meaning to the term sleep-deprived.

Since 2010 shes penned four bestselling book series: the Immortalis, Olde Town Pack, Little Werewolf, and the RONE award-winning

Immortalis (5 books)
  • Hunters & Prey (Immortalis, #2)
  • Pandora's Box (Immortalis, #3)
  • Soulstone (Immortalis, #4)
  • Dark Salvation (Immortalis, #5)