Start by marking “Colony Two Mars (Colony Mars, #2)” as Want to Read:
Colony Two Mars (Colony Mars, #2)

Colony Two Mars

(Colony Mars #2)

really liked it 4.00  ·  Rating details ·  1,442 ratings  ·  74 reviews
Alternate cover edition of ASIN B01K5WHSJI

The sole survivor of the ill-fated ISA mission is now stranded on Mars. Having been designated a bio-hazard by Earth, any hope of returning home is all but gone. She is alone, isolated, and abandoned.

That is, until another human shows up in the main colony airlock. However, he's barely alive and soon dies without regaining consci
Published August 9th 2016 by GMK

To ask other readers questions about Colony Two Mars, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Colony Two Mars

really liked it Average rating 4.00  ·

Start your review of Colony Two Mars (Colony Mars, #2)
Duane
The book blurb probably tells you more than it should about this 2nd of four books in this Mars Colony series. This one wasn’t as good as the first, but I’m hooked well enough to finish the series.

3.5 Stars
Cheryl
Jul 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these Colony Mars books, always a good read, nothing amazing, it won’t win prizes but it’s good fun, plenty of action with never a dull moment and an easy read too. I’ve not been rushing through these books but I reckon someone could do the whole trilogy over a quiet long weekend.

This, like the first one is scary but for a different reason, and when I say scary I don’t mean it kept me up at night in horror but nonetheless it’s not happy Mars-ing (can we make Mars-ing a word?)

Thi
Sara
Apr 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Even softer sci-fi

Sci-fi is very soft in this installment. Good story line makes it possible to suspend reality for awhile. Good enough that I'm going to finish the trilogy.
Caroline
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
It’s self-published? Actually explains a lot.
Welsh Reader
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: adult, space-sci-fi
What a disappointment.

Despite the first book being kind of middle of the road it left me curious about what happened next. Once again this book had an intriguing premise but uninspired execution. At least the first book had an element of horror interwoven into it. This one had the beginnings of showing how horrible humans can truly be ... but then took a u-turn into something else.

Jann became unbearably oblivious. "I can't believe I was so stupid!" she said at least 3 times throughout the text w
Kelly
Oct 29, 2020 rated it really liked it
After having read about the original lost colony in the 1600s (Roanoke, North Carolina), then a science article about how many people it would take to make a viable colony on mars (about 100), I was surprised to run across the 'Colony Mars series' from Gerald Kilby. Book #1 was a reasonable read so it drew me here to Book #2. It was a fairly well-written novel. The plot was pretty straightforward and predictable. But I quite liked the main character, Dr. Jann Malbec. Perhaps a strong female prot ...more
Sue
Dec 30, 2018 rated it liked it
This series of books is a rip-roaring sci-fi adventure that would make a great "young adult" film, but the books lack the depth and sophistication required for novels.

I quite enjoyed the first book in the series but found the second to be very plot-driven with little characterisation, poor dialogue and glossed-over scientific explanations. There was action (fighting and explosions), a semi-sentient robot and some cookie-cutter evil genius baddies with very strange motivations. The ending felt r
Debora Dowda
Sep 23, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mars Colony clones uprising

The fast pace continues as the story unfolds. Our heroine Jann, gets stronger and slowly smarter. Hurry Jann, we are going to need you even more in the next episode.
Franquie
Apr 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved the first three books in these series. The fourth one ruined it for me. However, with that said, the first three books were so enjoyable that I'd recommend them anyway. ...more
goei.shimon
Dec 17, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Humans were designed for Earth, it was their planet, home.

“Well, Earth thinks we hold the key to immortality, that we possess the elixir of life and they all want it now. The people that come will be non-state, well funded and probably well armed. Any so-called Outer Space Treaty laws that exist will be torn up and burned. They will fight each other for this knowledge, they will fight us for it and if we don’t, or can’t, give it to them they will simply experiment on us until they find it—or we’
Joao Nogueira
Jan 30, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2020, sci-fi
Following the story of "Colony One Mars" right when it finishes (if you haven't read the first installment you should really do it before picking this one!) we join our heroine Jann and her loyal robot friend Gizmo, now living peacefully alone at Mars, for more than a year since the fatidic events that lead to the death of Nills and all the ISA crew. But are they really alone? Of course not!... Remember that mine on the other side of Jezero crater? Well, it's a colony too (well, Colony Two to be ...more
Leanna M Cole
May 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
The romp continues...

Steve Cole, Leanna's husband and fan of all things Mars, wrote this.

As a space romp it is a fun read. If you try to compare it to THE MARTIAN or DUNE this book will fall way short, but like I said, it is a fun space romp.

Jann, the survivor of book one, travels to the mining station to find a functional colony with 190 people and the secret of youth and perpetual life in a 25 year old body. But as is always the case, what seems like Utopia is a brutal dictatorship by a ruling
Ralph
Jan 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The adventure continues as Dr. Jan Malbec, the sole surviving human of Colony One, lives in isolation with a small robot as the only other entity on the planet. Then, one day something enters the main airlock, a human who quickly dies. When she looks into his identity, she finds that he had already died years ago. Jann decides that the only way to solve the mystery is to make an expedition to the other side of Jezero Crater to the derelict Colony Two. What she discovers there is astounding and p ...more
Peggy
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Liked it

I had some quibbles with a few things, but this story flows well, and I wanted to get to the end to find out what happened. That is why I read books, so I can't complain too much! There is not much about Mars in the story....actually it could be set anywhere and would hold up just fine, which is one of my quibbles. It doesn't even need the designation of scifi, it could fittingly be described as a mystery/suspense novel. Some people would like that, but others, like me, would like more s
Enzo
Nov 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Second book in the series and really enjoyable. The thing with them is that they got great build up. It really makes you look forward to the next one.
Dr. Jann Malbec the sole survivor of the ISA mission is stuck in Mars. Due to her contagion she can't go back to Earth. Jann goes a bit feral and starts living exclusively in the BioDome, until an unexpected visitor arrives at Colony One. A clone of one of the original Colony members dies after trekking from Colony Two. Jann and Gizmo decide that i
Alistair Ravie
Jun 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part two of the Colony Mars series

Following on from Part one. Jann Malbec is visited by a colonist who strangely is already dead in the mausoleum. She heads off to the mining base to investigate and finds a colony of clones ruled by a group of the original colonists. Seems they were practicing cloning.

A struggle starts between the clones and some of the original colonists who are using the clones as little more than disposable tools. Jann sides with the clones as the leader of the colonists trie
Noodle The Naughty Night Owl
6/10: Good light-weight read, well done.

In the end, there is no more terrifying a place than your own mind.

Another quick read. This was entertaining enough to get me to the end, but I won't be reading on. As much as I loved Gizmo, I don't feel compelled to find out what happens next for the rest of the colony on Mars.

It did fill a couple of days nicely though, so thank you.

I'll leave you with a little Gizmo...

“Well now, Jann,” it said to itself. “You do seem to be in a spot of bother.”
Marva
Feb 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Pretty good follow-up to Colony One Mars. The story continues with Jann and Nills leading the beta clones in an uprising against the usual greedy corporatists.

While not totally original, it's a decent read--much better than a lot of schlock called SciFi, but are just romances set in a futuristic time/place.

I got a great deal on the series, so will most likely read the rest since it's on my Kindle. I am going to take a break and read another author next just to mix it up.
Ian Barnett
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Wild west on Mars. . Anything goes

Dolly the sheep was not enough. . International waters did it for gambling. . The inner planets make it fair game for the remaining taboos. Good characters and a light but solid plot. Looking forward to hearing more about the Earth pirates sure to come.
J.   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Dec 08, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own

I liked this one better than the first for whatever reason.

(view spoiler)

Narration was still really well done.
Christina Marioneaux
Good...not great

This was a fun read and I stayed up to finish it, but...not great. I found myself wanting to skip paragraphs. The concept is cool and it is easy to read, but the plot is a little unfocused. It wasn’t the POW of the first book. I stopped here and didn’t buy the third.
Sharon
Jul 21, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked it! Fascinating. I ordinarily do not like science fiction, but the Mars Colony books really are holding my interest and would recommend the first two ... onto Three.

Loved the books so far and would recommend them even if you don’t like scene fiction. Looking forward to Book Three.
Marshall Clowers
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Well done.

Quite a bit of time has passed since the events of Colony One and Jann is surprised by a visitor to her airlock door. As it turns out, Jann isn't as alone as she thought she was.
A very entertaining story, and I'd like to hear more.
Ben Lovejoy
Apr 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent sequel

I very much enjoyed book 1, and this was an excellent sequel. I particularly like the way each book feels like a self-contained story while also serving as a kick-off point for the next - which I will be reading shortly.
Karl Hakimian
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: abandoned
The first one was interesting enough for me to try to read this one. Unfortunately, the writing was poor enough to keep distracting me and the premise in this one did not manage to overcome it.

I ended up giving up a few chapters in.
Stephen Wells
Feb 03, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A really fast read that I am really enjoying. Despite minor gripes about typos/missing words, I like the storyline and characters. And while there are five books in this series, the author does tie a decent little bow around each book at its conclusion.
Laura Calvo
Nov 15, 2016 rated it did not like it
After book 1 I decided to give the writer a second chance. Don't make the same mistake. It only gets worst.
Jim Melanson
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a great follow-up to the first book. It went someplace I hadn't even considered. The story kept moving and again, great characters. I recommend it without hesitation. ...more
Steven Kennedy
Mar 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Good follow up 2nd book

Better 2nd book than the first book, a good insight into Jann's character. And a good line up for the 3rd book.

Douglas
Apr 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good story line and characters. Looking forwards to rest of series.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Mars Nation 2 (Mars Trilogy, #2)
  • Mars Nation 1 (Mars Trilogy #1)
  • The Titan Probe: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 2)
  • Return to Enceladus: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 4)
  • Waves on Mars (The Artifact Series Book 2)
  • Proxima Rising (Proxima Trilogy, #1)
  • Mars Nation 3
  • The Hole: Hard Science Fiction
  • The Coming Storm (Artifact #3)
  • The Rift: Hard Science Fiction
  • The Enceladus Mission: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 1)
  • Proxima Dying: Hard Science Fiction (Proxima Trilogy Book 2)
  • The Io Encounter: Hard Science Fiction (Ice Moon Book 3)
  • Losing Mars
  • Artifact (The Artifact Series Book 1)
  • Silent Sun: Hard Science Fiction
  • Mission One
  • Proxima Dreaming: Hard Science Fiction (Proxima Trilogy Book 3)

Colony Mars (5 books)
  • Colony One Mars (Colony Mars #1)
  • Colony Three Mars (Colony Mars #3)
  • Jezero City (Colony Mars #4)
  • Surface Tension (Colony Mars #5)

News & Interviews