Start by marking “Sunny Side Up (A Deadline Cozy Mystery #1)” as Want to Read:
Sunny Side Up (A Deadline Cozy Mystery #1)

Sunny Side Up

(Deadline Cozy Mystery #1)

“He deserves to be murdered.”
“Who said that?”
“Apparently, you did.”

With her bitter divorce behind her, Eve Lloyd wants to relax and think about her next step. Paying her aunt, Mira Lloyd, a.k.a. Elizabeth Lloyd, renown historical romance author, a long overdue visit, she plans to spend a month on Rock-Maine Island lounging around and plotting the launch of her new life
Published August 9th 2016

To ask other readers questions about Sunny Side Up, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunny Side Up

Start your review of Sunny Side Up (A Deadline Cozy Mystery #1)
James
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
3 stars to Sonia Parin's Sunny Side Up, the first issue in her "Deadline" Cozy Mystery series. I stumbled upon this free e-book last fall and thought it might be a fun read. As I was cleaning up my Kindle Reader on my iPad today, I re-found it and decided to give it a chance, since it was under 100 pages. Cute read, a bit simple, but has potential as a series.

Story
Eve Lloyd sold her NY restaurant and divorced her useless ex-husband, rented out her apartment on a six-month lease and took a tr
Kathy Davie
Another cute story ruined by the writing. Eve Lloyd is so unbelievable as a sleuth. I think Parin needs to read more mysteries.

Sure this was cozy, but...omigod. She leaps to stupid conclusions faster than an ice cube melts in a hot frying pan. As for all the accusations she throws around... No. It just made her character interactions and Eve look and feel stupid.

As an example of how not to write. How to recognize a book still in draft form...this is your baby.
JoAn
Apr 26, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: cozy-mystery
A short cozy mystery that was a light mystery with a few twists. I enjoy Ms. Parin's writing but the main character, Eve Lloyd, I just didn't connect with throughout the story. She's stressed out, unpredictable, jumping to conclusions and has a tendency to just say whatever she's thinking to whoever she's with at the moment. Too much drama for me. ...more
Joann Herley
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Sunny Side Up is a mystery with humor and suspense that keeps you guessing. A getaway after a divorce to visit her aunt finds Eve in the middle of a murder investigation, and she is a suspect. This is a fun read and appropriate for everyone.
Cheryl
Jul 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was a surprisingly good read discovered as a freebie through Kindle Australia to introduce you to the series.
A quickly paced cosy read that had you thinking as much as Eve was surmising who the killer was. I loved the humorous back and forth between Eve and her new found friend Jill, and the suspense was certainly ratcheted right up as the killer closed in. A highly recommended cosy mystery and one that I will read more of in the series.
Marcia-Lee Finocchio
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Sunny side up

What a wonderful read, I enjoyed the story line and the characters were fantastic, Jill and Eve were so humorous with their chattering back and forth. Definitely a must read for Cozy readers!!
Doreen
Oct 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute Cozy Mystery!

Eve has come to visit her aunt on a small Maine island after a devastating betrayal and divorce. Aunt Mira is unexpectedly gone and Eve is suspected of the murder of her ex- husband, whose body is found in the kitchen of her aunt's house. Eve feels she must search for the murderer to exonerate herself. Lots of chases, snooping, suspects and suspicion until the finale outcome explains everything. Very Entertaining read
Marti
Apr 23, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable, light mystery. I especially like the dry humor!
Barb
Aug 21, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Susan
Aug 20, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
This was a fun cozy mystery I read over my lunch breaks at work. It was a nice escape.
Michele Roosa
Oct 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Good fast read

Great for a good fast mystery read! I will certainly look for more from Sonia Parin. A B
C D
Linda Hastings
Dec 01, 2020 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I liked the interplay among the characters. Interesting book with a murder to solve. A handsome detective to help with the case. A divorced main character with a missing Aunt. A female just meet to become a new friend.
Beth
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it
A fun quick read.
SANDYE
Jun 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining. Enjoyable. Quick mystery read.

Eve goes to visit her aunt Mira, and becomes a suspect when her ex-husband is found dead in Mira 's kitchen. Disregarding the warning from the lead Detective on the case, Mira and her new friend Jill, continuously theorize about who the murderer could be. They also continuously find themselves in less than favorable situations.
This cozy mystery is entertaining, quick to read, and holds your interest from beginning to end!!
Catherine Childs
Oct 04, 2019 rated it really liked it
Very enjoyable dialogue.

I found the brisk pace of the story and the dialogue very refreshing. I'll have to watch for more of the author's books.
Sandy Digger
Nov 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Sunny side up

This was a really enjoyable book. It starts with Eve, a chef, who is divorced, recently sold her restaurant and has decided to relax at her aunt Mira’s house on the coast. Her aunt lives on an island right on the beach and Eve spent many summers with her so it feels like home. She tries to reach her aunt who is a romance writer, but her aunt isn’t answering her phone. When Eve arrives her aunt isn’t home but she has her own key so she makes herself at home. She finds out from the tr
Brenda H
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I had high hopes for this book. The premise was interesting – Eve Lloyd, a newly divorced woman, decides to visit her aunt for a month-long visit while contemplating the next phase of her life. However, upon arriving at her aunt’s home on Rock-Maine Island, she finds that her aunt has gone missing and that there is a murderer on the loose.

Being the outsider on the island, Eve is regarded with suspicion and people want her gone. Though Detective Jack Bradford has things well in hand, Eve is unwil
Wayne D
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Just what a Cozy Mystery should be...

I needed a book to 'cleanse my palate' after a very intense, and, sorry to say, boring read. This book did the trick. The mystery was interesting, the characters were well developed and I really enjoyed the humor. Plan to read more of Sonia Parin's books.
Brenda
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant and engrossing.

Like my favorite potato chips, one just can't read just one of these mysteries. I'm on my 9th and I know once I finish I'll want more of Eve and Rock-Maine Island. Sonia does a fantastic job of making her cast of characters belivable and, for the most part , likable. Yes, one simply can't go wrong picking up anything written by Ms Parin!
Krystyna
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The ex who tried to do the right thing

Loved the main character - spunky, divorcee who doesn't take things lying down. A murder (her ex) has her viewing everyone with distrust. Can she solve the murder before another death? A great easy read cozy with a hint of romance.
Myra LeBendig
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A welcome read

Smart, likable, interesting characters. Enjoyable conversation with plot not easily predictable. Interested in reading more in this series- developing Jack and Mira’s relationship.
Jean Taylor
Jun 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great. Short story

This rates a 5 star rating, but the darn thing didn't cooperate. Looking forward to more books from this author
Claudia Wright
Jun 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A little romance, a good dose of suspense

I like Sonia Parin's writing style. Likeable characters in a setting that is easy to visualize. Looking forward to the next book.
kathy may
Jul 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Nice

I enjoyed this story . It was the first time I read a book by this author and I like the way she told the story.
Jan
A nice interesting cozy set in a semi rural area not all that far from NYC. Great characters and creative sleuthing with an interesting bunch of red herrings. Very enjoyable!
Susan Harner
Dec 05, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Sunny Side Up was a cute story. I will continue on with this series.
Kitten  Peters
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Cute cozy

I like this book, quick to read and a page turner. Eva has gone to the island to see her aunt who has apparently gone missing. Next comes a murder and a cute detective!
Sandi
Aug 31, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Enjoyed this one! Fast paced, light and funny. Just right of you want quick relaxing enjoyable read.
Beth
Oct 22, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fun quick read.
Anita Hopkins
Apr 09, 2020 rated it did not like it
This story so completely telegraphed and cliche that i lost brain cells reading it. Hated it!
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Vanilla Vengeance (Cupcake Crimes, #1)
  • Murder Most Thorny (Myrtle Grove Garden Club Mystery Book 2)
  • Publishable By Death (St. Marin's Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Death in Dalkinchie (Dalkinchie Mysteries Book 1)
  • True Confections (An Amish Cupcake Cozy Mystery #1)
  • Stiff in the Sand (Cape Hope Mysteries Book 1)
  • Murder and Rock 'n Roll (Rosa Reed, #5)
  • Bells, Tails & Murder: A Cozy English Animal Mystery (A Dickens & Christie Mystery #1)
  • Murder Between the Lines (Rooftop Garden Cozy Mysteries, #1)
  • Final Notice (Damaged Goods, #1)
  • Condos and Corpses (Sapphire Beach Cozy Mystery Series Book 1)
  • Flea Market Fatal (Missy DeMeanor #1)
  • Christmas Cupcakes and a Caper (Death by Cupcake #4)
  • Small Town Murder (Asheville Meadows #1)
  • Murder at the Races (Rosa Reed #6)
  • Murder & the Rock Star (Myrtle Grove Garden Club Mystery Book 6)
  • Deadly Traffic: A Florida Thriller (Will Harper Mystery Series Book 5)
  • The Xanders Case (A Markham Sisters Cozy Mystery Book 24)
I write Cozy Mysteries: humorous historical (1920s), contemporary and paranormal.

All my books provide a 'clean' read - no swearing and no graphic violence.

These fun cozy mysteries are intended to provide lighthearted entertainment for those who enjoy quirky characters and humorous tales.

Deadline Cozy Mystery (9 books)
  • Snuffed Out (Deadline Cozy Mystery #2)
  • All Tied Up (Deadline Cozy Mystery #3)
  • The Last Bite (Deadline Cozy Mystery #4)
  • Final Cut (Deadline Cozy Mystery #5)
  • Sleeping With the Fishes (Deadline Cozy Mystery #6)
  • A Kink in the Road (Deadline Cozy Mystery #7)
  • The Merry Widow (Deadline Cozy Mystery #8)
  • Dying Trade (Deadline Cozy Mystery, #9)

News & Interviews

“She trudged along the side path. It all looked tidy enough. Kicking off the sand on her shoes, she looked down at the ground. And that’s when she saw the footprints. Several of them and two different sizes. Her own and another set... Much larger. Twice her size. And” 0 likes
“She shifted slightly. “Sorry to get you out here so late. I hope I didn’t interrupt anything.” The words spilled out before she could think better and hold them back. “I was at the precinct doing some paper work.” “Oh. You keep very long hours.” Did that mean he didn’t have someone to go home to? “It’s very comforting to know you’re on the job.” He stood up. “Try and get some rest and stay indoors.” 0 likes