Start by marking “The Way Home in the Night” as Want to Read:

3.81  ·  Rating details ·  546 Ratings  ·  162 Reviews
A mother rabbit and her young bunny are on their way home in the dark night. "My mother carries me through the quiet streets," the bunny explains. "Most of our neighbors are already home." The bunny can see their lights in the windows, and hear and smell what they might be doing: talking on the phone, pulling a pie out of the oven, having a party, saying goodbye. When they ...more
Published April 4th 2017 by Kids Can Press

To ask other readers questions about The Way Home in the Night, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Way Home in the Night

Kris - My Novelesque Life
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(I received an ARC from the EDELWEISS)

RATING: 5 STARS

(Review Not on Blog)

One night a little Bunny is being carried home by his mother and imagines what people around him are doing. He knows one thing though, everyone goes home to sleep. This is a great book for bedtime...with or without the kiddies ;)
Sue
Jan 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Anyone who enjoys children's books or giving books to children
This is a gentle story of a mother carrying her young bunny home after dark. What the young one sees, hears and senses during this night time walk. There are lights into people's homes or shops, hints at others' experiences. Those lozenges of light bring warmth to the street. And when the little one gets home and to bed, there is the reliving of the walk, imagining how everything turned out for those in the small interludes he saw: the party under way, the pie out of the oven, etc. So much to th ...more
Ivonne Rovira
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ivonne by: NetGalley
Akiko Miyakoshi’s The Way Home in the Night portrays a little bunny being taken home by her mother late at night, when the city becomes very different. But rather than being frightening, it’s a speculative city where the bunny wonders about the neighborhood residents she glimpses through their lit windows. Where do the restauranteur and bookseller go after they close? What about the party at the neighbor’s? That great smelling pie, who will eat that?

The little bunny undertakes the type of wonde
Jul 13, 2017 rated it really liked it

“Some nights are ordinary,
and other nights are special.

But every night, we all go home to bed.”

The Way Home in the Night is the story of a young bunny being carried home in the arms of Mom. Readers see the world through the eyes and wonder of the bunny as they slowly walk through the pockets of light and shadows. As the noises and smells of the night pass by, bunny begins to wonder and dream about the neighbors and places around them. Whose phone is ringing? What does the bookseller do when he g
Eve
Dec 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: childrens, read-2017
fullsizeoutput_823
"Some nights are ordinary, and other nights are special. But every night, we all go home to bed."

This is my second Miyakoshi book, and her artwork never ceases to amaze me. In this book, a boy's parents carry him home at night at the end of the day. Through lit windows he observes the goings-on of his neighbors and imagines how their nights might end. So lovely! Sparse and richly illustrated.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Aug 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautiful story about a mother walking home with her child as evening falls...very touching.
Karen Witzler
Dec 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-s-books
This is my other favorite of 2017's New York Times Best Illustrated Children's Books. A little bunny is carried home in the dark through city streets. From the safe vantage point of their mother's arms they catch Edward Hopperesque glimpses of the lives of the other residents of their street. These residents are also animals but are so delicately and humanly rendered that one quickly overlooks this and begins to wonder along with Little Bunny about the details of their lives. Beautiful illustrat ...more
Danielle
Nov 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
This is a very special book. It makes the world slow down, which is my favorite thing picture books can do. Each scene is rendered simply, yet has so much resonance. Each character, each evening, in that tender, liminal time of night before going to bed. Miyakoshi's work is infused with stillness, curiosity, connection, and a little bit of magic.
paula
I would very much like someone to read me this book as I was falling asleep every night.
Jessica ☕
Nov 08, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kids-storybooks
A thoughtful book that will encourage young children to consider the shared humanity of the strangers they see from day to day. The illustrations are a bit dark, but that's to expected from a story that takes place exclusively at night.

Recommended for reading to older pre-readers and early readers at bedtime, when children can imagine the unique lives of all the people they met that day.

I received this book via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Amanda
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Have loved everything that I have read by this author, very unique voice and beautiful, subdued illustrations. This one especially reminded me what it was like to be a small child; loved how the viewpoint kept shifting and moving around so that you were looking from another's eyes. Good thing to do every so often.
Stina Fernholm
Jun 27, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2018
Vilken vacker liten pärla till bilderbok. Så fina bilder, och en mysig berättelse.
K.J. Mecklenfeld
Jul 14, 2017 rated it liked it
Nice illustrations, story so-so.
Aolund
Aug 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
Strikes the rare balance between mysterious and comforting. Miyakoshi's darkly-shaded pictures in fact highlight points of familiarity and community as seen by the young rabbit being walked home by their mother. Somewhere between a story and a meditation on belonging/community and observing/imagination, there is one page in the book that could serve as a useful jumping-off point for discussions about homelessness and our human responsibility to care for our neighbors-- "But every night, we all g ...more
Erik Delgadillo
Dec 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Las ilustraciones son preciosas y me hicieron tranquilizarme muchísimo. Verdaderamente bello.
Cat
Jan 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
beautiful bedtime story! Lovely illustrations!
Jen Woo
Jul 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
Miyakoshi makes the ordinary task of a mother carrying her sleepy child home through the dark city streets a bit extraordinary. The child rabbit is sleepy and drifting off but doesn't fail to notice the goings on of passing businesses and homes, as her mother rabbit wanders home. As for his neighbors, they are different species of animals that share a commonality of night time routines and traditions.
Pammycats
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
By: Akiko Miyakoshi

I received an e-ARC from NetGalley and Kids Can Press in exchange for my honest review.

This author/ illustrator has a true gift for evoking emotion with sparse language and life-filled pictures.

Storyline:
Bunny and mom are walking home. As they pass buildings, Bunny can see the scenes within. After Bunny is in bed for the night he/ she (gender is not specified so from now on I will default to "he") remembers each glimpsed scene and fills in the story fo
Storywraps
Nov 18, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This charming, heartwarming book takes you inside the mind of an adorable young rabbit who is being carried home one night in the arms of her mommy. The streets, although empty, are framed by a variety of buildings with illuminated windows that show the day-end activities of normal folks getting ready to close shop, enjoy family time, and put their feet up and relax after a hard day's work.

The book appeals to the little rabbit's senses: things seen - such as flickering lights as someone is watch
Gratia
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
Exceptional illustrations by author illustrator Miyakoshi who lives in Tokyo. I'll just add to earlier comments by saying it's all about skill in understanding the rules of perspective, draftsmanship, and viewpoint. By drawing with charcoal, pencil and acrylic gouache on what might be the lovely textured Canson Paper, Miyakoshi emphasizes the idea just as there are many bunnies (behaving like people) in the world, all doing different and unique things at the same moment, comfort and security rem ...more
Samantha
Jun 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A young bunny and his mother are making their way home at the end of the day. The windows are all lit up and the people inside are spending their evenings in various ways, which the young bunny observes and thinks about as he settles down for sleep.

Pencil, charcoal, and acrylic gouache artwork gives so much life to this quiet story. The effect is that the reader feels like they are walking home with the characters in the book and soaking up all the wonderful people watching as they pass their ne
Tanja
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I've become a real fan of Akiko Miyakoshi's picture books. The illustrations are simply stunning. With a few colors, she achieves the most amazing effects. This latest book reminded me how much I have always loved walking through the streets of our town at night, seeing the lights in the windows, smelling dinners being cooked, wondering and imagining what is happening in the houses and apartments I am passing. She captures the special magic of a nighttime stroll beautifully.
Linda
Who hasn’t taken an evening walk and peeked into lit windows and imagined what’s happening inside the houses? This young bunny tells of this journey on his way home, carried by his mother and doing that very thing. On the way, father joins them, and eventually, they arrive home, and bunny goes to bed, then to sleep. Illustrations are gorgeous, soft charcoal sketches with some bits of color. Remember The 'Tea Party In The Woods', also by Akiko Myakoshi, which has a similar effect.
Natasha
Everything contributes to the sweet, sleepy, contemplative feel of this book, from the slightly faded look of the illustrations to the dozy, train-of-thought dialogue as the child sleepily thinks about their walk home through the city.

Excellent as a bedtime for for encouraging some gentle conversation before nodding off.
Jeimy
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Cute story of a family walking home at night, what they see through lit windows, and the lives the young child imagines for each inhabitant.
Lola
Feb 05, 2018 added it
Shelves: picture-books
This story took me literally one minute to read. There is barely any writing—the illustrations are doing most of the talking.

But that’s okay. I didn’t mind that at all. Actually, even if the story is less developed in this one, I enjoyed it more than the previous Akiko Miyakoshi picture book I read, because I agree with the message the author is trying to convey.

While it’s not true that *everyone* goes home to their beds at night—some people don’t have them or are working nightshifts—I appreciat
Gemma
Nov 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book reflects my childhood wondering about people, cars, I'd see on the road - what is their story, where are they going? What would it be like to be that person, on whatever route they are to whichever destination?

The soft illustrations and velvety dark colours create a gentle atmosphere that compliments the simple text. I especially love how the author/illustrator uses angled perspectives, such as a view of the night sky through the bedroom window and a slanted view looking up at the apar
Jisel
Jul 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Good bedtime story for young children, interesting charcoal drawings, but not particularly memorable for me. However, I can see myself reading this book to my child in the future, as I think it does a good job of letting kids know that other people do things too. I think that when I was a very young child, the idea that other people go home and go to bed just like me would have been fascinating. And the fact that it's a bunny family makes it more interesting for kids.
Rachel
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: kids, netgalley
In the night, being carried by Mom a young bunny observes his neighbors. He considers what each one is doing when he sees them. Tucked into bed, he finds himself wondering if everyone's daily activities have ceased for the day. Is everyone else settling down for the night?

A sweet picture book that captures the wonders a child has. I loved the illustrations. Each animal is carefully drawn to be realistic looking.

Thanks to Netgalley and Kids Can Press for the e-ARC

K
Dec 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kid-lit
It's so beautiful and simple, and so deep and lovely.
Akiko Miyakoshi (1982–) was born in Saitama Prefecture, and graduated from the Department of Visual Communication Design at Musashino Art University. Her picture book Taifū ga kuru (Typhoon Comes) won the Nissan Children’s Storybook and Picture Book Grand Prix in 2009, and her Mori no oku no ochakai e (The Tea Party in the Woods) garnered the Japan Picture Book Awards Grand Prize in 2011. Her othe ...more