Start by marking “The Takedown” as Want to Read:
The Takedown

The Takedown

It would have been funny, if it just wasn’t.

Kyla Cheng doesn’t expect you to like her. For the record, she doesn’t need you to. On track to be valedictorian, she’s president of her community club and a debate team champ, plus the yummy Mackenzie Rodriguez has firmly attached himself to her hip. She and her three high-powered best friends don’t just own their senior year at
Published April 11th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about The Takedown, please sign up.
Veeda The whole book is based on one explicit video and one of the supporting characters does do something that is basically illegal. This book is VERY expl…moreThe whole book is based on one explicit video and one of the supporting characters does do something that is basically illegal. This book is VERY explicit so keep that in mind.(less)
Basia Ii agree. Yes. There was nothing touchy, even. But worthwhile lessons!

Start your review of The Takedown
Maureen
Apr 25, 2017 marked it as dnf-did-not-finish
DNFing for now (maybe forever?) because I really can't get into it. I can't.
It's sad because I was really intrigued and I LOVED the video I made based around it, but the book is just not capturing my attention.
Cesar
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
4 stars

With the rise of the internet and social media in the last decade, many books focus on the lives people have online. Whether they're an Instagram star, a YouTuber, or some random person on twitter, their lives are interconnected to all forms of media from the internet. So imagine one day when something scandalous is leaked online of a person doing something bad. What would happen to them? Most people practically live on the internet and when something bad happens to them and is leaked onl
Aj the Ravenous Reader
“No one would ever escape high school unscathed.”

I suppose the line above is mostly true although I honestly couldn’t be more indifferent about my entire high school experience. I even opted out of our Facebook group. Yep, my high school class, ‘Class 2002’ has a Facebook group. Lol. But this story indeed paints an intense image of how high school relationships and experiences could shape a person.

Set in a not so far future, The Takedown, is a story of a girl whose perfect life upended whe
Dianne
Mar 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley, arc-read, own
What happens when you step on one too many sets of toes? One of the IT girls at school, the brilliant and beautiful Kyla has it all and she knows it. Set many years into the future, Corrie Wang’s THE TAKEDOWN proves that high school won’t change too much through the years. Electronic gadgets are far superior, and no life is complete without a plethora was ways to communicate without actually dealing with too much face to face human contact. People talk in “computereeze.” Text short-cuts have bec ...more
Jen Ryland
A quick but compelling read -- reminded me of a futuristic Pretty Little Liars with a sharp, witty feel. The main characters were all pretty unlikeable mean girls, which is a risk, but I think the book pulled it off by at least helping me understand the characters even if I couldn't relate to them or like them. I was very amused by the text-slang and creative swearing.

The story did feel primarily plot driven, but did have interesting takes on female friendship, love, feminism, slut shaming, and
Ryan Graudin
Oct 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Takedown is electric and sharp, a layered look at the firewalls we place around our image, both on and off social media. Wang’s storytelling is as stylish as the future she portrays. If smart, savvy girls and edge-of-the-seat suspense is your thing, don’t let this book pass you by!
Shenwei
Apr 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Although the premise was attention-grabbing, I went into this one feeling cautious because it's not #ownvoices (the author is white and married to a Chinese American), and I DNF'd a few chapters in because of all the red flags. I posted excerpts+commentary here. ...more
Basia
Apr 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
4.5/5
Corrie Wang got me with the image on the cover, initially. But then, as soon as I started reading the book, I was stunned that she told the readers immediately that we wouldn't like the protagonist. That kept me reading ....

And yeah. Ms Wang is correct. Kyla is THAT girl in her high school. Men want her; women want to BE her. But then something truly horrific happens to her. Something shameful and public--for anyone with wifi access to see. And life takes a sharp and twisty turn. The sudden
Shaila
Sep 20, 2016 rated it it was amazing
(I was given an ARC for an honest review.)

This book was incredible.

Imagine yourself 50-ish years from now as a teenager. What would Facebook be like? What would Google be like? How much do you think technology would change the way we speak? How would it affect our obsession with fame and the famous? Our tolerance for a lack of privacy?

Imagine five different things you do everyday with your phones and social media. Now imagine each one of those things evolving and becoming its own monster.

Yeah.

Bu
i.
Jun 03, 2017 rated it liked it
What I liked:

Amazing ideas about what life will be like in a not so distant future. Highly recommended for fans of Instagram and Facebook; it makes you think twice before posting anything. I also liked the language mix used by the author. I believe this is the kind of English/Spanish/Chinese/Japanese/French..... most people will be using soon .

What I didn't like so much:

I deeply disliked not only the main character but also her friends.Besides, all the technological jargon makes it sometimes dif
A.V. Geiger
Oct 07, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I was lucky enough to read an ARC, and I can't say enough good things about this book. I loved it, and I'm still thinking about it a week after I put it down. The Takedown offers an edge-of-your-seat plot in a world you haven't read about before, populated by complicated characters and relationships. Mean-girl narrator Kyla Cheng warns you from the first line that you aren't going to like her, but don't believe her. No one in this book is exactly what they seem on the surface, and that's what ma ...more
Sadie Hillier
Dec 25, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: work-reads, ya
This book was absolutely unputdownable. I read it in its entirety between Christmas Eve and Christmas day because I couldn't bear to part with it. The story kept me guessing throughout and had several twists and turns along the way that were totally unexpected to me. In a lot of ways, this book reads like an episode of Black Mirror (and in a few ways, this book makes me want to totally Ron Swanson myself and go completely off the grid). It's set in a future that feels just close enough to touch ...more
Chelsea
May 13, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
I just can't get in to this book, so many things just don't seem right or appropriate
Michelle (Pink Polka Dot Books)
May 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
ALL THE STARS!!!! This is a “me” book!! I loved the mystery mixed in with allllll the drama. I loved the future world and technology— and even the made-up lingo that the characters speak. Love, love, love this book.

You know how every now and again you start reading a book, and right from the start you can tell it is a "you" book?? Those reading moments are so special, and if you're anything like me, they only come along once in a while. This book was a breath of fresh air for me. Sure, I've read
Nancy The book junkie
Review to come!
Lauren
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a very obnoxious book. I couldn't make it past page 31. The text slang, abbreviations, and made up words for technology not explained was very hard to deal with. I got annoyed within a few pages and couldn't STAND the shallow nature of the characters. Even if they got better, it wouldn't be worth dealing with the writing.

I can see how some readers could like it; it's just not for me. When I pick up a book, I want proper English used.
Shaeley Santiago
From the opening lines where the narrator warns us that she's an unlikeable character, I was hooked on this story. It is packed with action, suspense, and serves as a cautionary tale about digital citizenship.

Kyle Cheng is part of a group of four popular senior girls attending a prep school in Brooklyn, New York. According to her, "... I did always say there were only two ways to emerge from high school. Scarred or Worshipped." Although the story begins with her in the "worshipped" category, it
Kate
Feb 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Full review to come later but here's my first impressions:

It's a super fast read. I was so into uncovering who was behind Kyle's take down that I hated that real life got in the way of my reading. I liked that Kyle was flawed in realistic ways. I liked that all the characters were complicated, and that friendships and relationships were portrayed for the crazy mess they can be. I liked that while it was set in the near-ish future and full of technology, it wasn't unrecognizable.

Here's what kep
Betsy Aldredge
Feb 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is the perfect mix of Gossip Girl and "Feed" by MT Anderson, with a great thriller and romance mixed in.

I have a feeling that in a few years a lot of the tech the author dreamed up will be all too true. It's so well done that I often forgot it was set in the near future.

While I don't often enjoy unsympathetic narrators, I loved how the author sets the stage and then gets us to like her main character more and more as the character grows and becomes more humble.

I think the friendships
Amanda Searcy
Oct 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This is one of my favorite books that I have read in a long time. I absolutely loved it. The voice is fantastic, and the world building is amazing. The author imagines a near future that is startlingly plausible. And (even though she didn't think I would) I loved the main character Kyle. Highly recommended.
Rachel (borntoberustic)
Apr 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery, young-adult
Goodreads synopsis:

"Kyla Cheng doesn't expect you to like her. For the record, she doesn't need you to. On track to be valedictorian, she's president of her community club, a debate team champ, plus the yummy Mackenzie Rodriguez has firmly attached himself to her hip. She and her three high-powered best friends don't just own their senior year at their exclusive Park Slope, Brooklyn high school, they practically define the hated species Popular. Kyla's even managed to make it through high school
Michelle
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Takedown is the debut novel of author Corrie Wang. The Takedown is a young adult contemporary novel that had kind of a Pretty Little Liars/mean girls vibe to it. I really enjoyed this book. I love that FreeForm now has a line of young adult titles. The books are a lot like their tv shows- fast paced, addictive, dramatic, and totally engaging. The Takedown feels like something that could happen in real life, as sc
Gianna
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
3.75 stars.

I received an ebook for review from Netgalley.

I quite enjoyed this book, especially seeing Corrie Wang's take on technology in the future, showing us what life might be like once we are completely dependent on technology for anything and everything. It also shows us how public everyone's lives most likely will become, considering where we are today.

Wow, I think this is the first book with a Chinese-American main character since I read The Great Wall of Lucy Wu back in middle school (t
Mar 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thank to you NetGalley and Freeform for an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

"The thing about high school was it all felt so personal. Every slight felt specifically, solely crafted for you. And the only thing worse than your 'unique' agony was the belief that no one else had to deal with anything as bad."

There is much to like *and* think about in this fast-paced book. Whip-smart dialogue and characters a la Mean Girls, interesting technology set in the near future (and
Marcella
Mar 02, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Really liked this YA read!!

Popular girl, Kyla, gets basically cyberbullied by a posted fake video of her. From there her life spirals down down down. Do you really know who your friends really are? Do they tell you everything? Did one of them post the video?

Kind of reminded me of the friendships I had when I was in highschool. Being close one year, then the next drifting apart, making new friends ,just like in this read.
Christina
Overall, I liked this book. There were things I liked, and things I didn't, but overall it's solid.
The Good: At its core, The Takedown is a futuristic novel about modern feminism. A cyber terrorist creates a video using Kyla's image allegedly having sex with her teacher. To read more of this review, and to see an unboxing by Elizziebooks click here.
Lindsay
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Cynthia
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ya-dystopian
Arc provided by netgalley for an honest review

I personally didn't connect to this book, the storyline and the author's writing style did not work for me. The author uses text messages throughout her story and so many different tech terms that are very hard to grasp and understand. While I'm not normally really picky, on things like this, but in this story not fully explaining the terms hurts the plot. The storyline is hard to follow and the character development that I like to see in books is la
Lyn *GLITTER VIKING*
ARG.

I there were so many things I love about this book: the non-labeled romance, how complicated female friendships can become when you are trying to find out who you are, how every one of us can be the bully, how sexual allegations have more than one victim, bondings with parents, social constrains towards female sexuality, social media and user rights - there were so many complex issues happening here, and I loved that they were embraced and discussed in the novel.

But I cannot overlook a book
Rosa
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
Reader Review

Kyla Cheng, aka Kyle, a biracial Chinese and French high school senior, has got it good. She's at the top of her class, super pretty, and has the hottest guy at school wrapped around her finger. She and her equally formidable girl squad members run the school. It's like mean girls, but Kyle's not actually mean. She is, however, super loaded and attends a swanky prep school.

The book is set in futuristic Brooklyn where technology has been integrated to every aspect of society. Kyle us

• Rebel Seoul (Rebel Seoul, #1)
  • The Last to Die
  • Eat, and Love Yourself
  • You Bring the Distant Near
  • Live in Infamy
  • The Unlikelies
  • Perfect Ten
  • I Know You Remember
  • Inexcusable
  • Why We Love Serial Killers: The Curious Appeal of the World's Most Savage Murderers
  • L.A. Rex
  • #notreadytodie
  • The Only Child
  • Scarlett Fever (Scarlett, #2)
  • M or F?
  • Manhattan Is My Beat (Rune, #1)
  • Black and White
  • American Panda
Corrie Wang owns and operates Jackrabbit Filly, a friendly neighborhood restaurant in Charleston, South Carolina. She is passionate about libraries, recycling, and eating all the food everywhere. Her debut novel, The Takedown, received much love from the New York Public Library and YALSA.

She and her husband, Shuai, live in a cozy yellow house with their pups, Moose and Olive. You can find out ver