Start by marking “Be Quiet!” as Want to Read:
Be Quiet!

Be Quiet!

All Rupert the mouse wants is to star in a beautiful, wordless picturebook. One that's visually stimulating! With scenic pictures! And style! He has plenty of ideas about what makes a great book, but his friends just WON'T. STOP. TALKING.

Children and adults alike will chuckle at this comedic take on bookmaking from acclaimed author-illustrator Ryan T. Higgins.
Published April 4th 2017 by Disney-Hyperion

To ask other readers questions about Be Quiet!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Be Quiet!

Start your review of Be Quiet!
Dave Schaafsma
Nov 15, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: picturebooks
Each year my family reads all the Goodreads-award-nominated picture books, and we have been doing this for years. Everyone rates each book and adds a comment and it may (or may not) affect my overall rating. This is book #13 of 2017.

Tara: 4 stars. Cute.

Harry (12): 3.5 stars. I like the silent superhero thing--that's a good idea.

Hank (11): 2.2 stars. The same subject the whole time.

Lyra (10): 4 stars. He wanted the other mice to be quiet; when they weren't, he blabbered on about how they should b
Jane
In this third book in the Mother Bruce series, the focus is on the mice we met in book two. Rupert (the sort of brainy mouse) has decided he'd like this book to be a wordless picture book. His two friends (brothers?) try to assist him with making this book, but they can't keep their mouths shut, so they're ruining the effect of the wordless book.

This book downright annoyed me. It definitely didn't help that I already thought the mice were kind of jerks from the second book in this series. What w
Apr 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing

Ryan T. Higgins is climbing my favorite picture book author list in a hurry. He’s taking giant strides and two steps at a time with a smile on his face!

Be Quiet! made me smile at page one. And I mean smile after a grumpy, rough & tumble kind of day. These adorable little mice—Rupert, Thistle and Nibbs—will cause giggles galore in readers of all ages. The faces!!! The faces they pull with wide eyes and big grins are hilarious and sweet and so vivid. Mr. Higgins captures his characters on the page
Ivonne Rovira
Oct 27, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ivonne by: Lizzie Dierfeldt
I absolutely adore Ryan T. Higgins’s We Don't Eat Our Classmates, and the writer and illustrator’s Be Quiet! proves nearly as delightful. Poor Rupert the mouse envisions a wordless picture book of poetic grandeur. But his pals simply cannot — cannot! — shut up! Hilarious for kids and their parents and grandparents, as well.

Cheryl
Oct 14, 2017 rated it it was ok
Spin-off of Mother Bruce with those annoying mice. Best part imo is the cameo by Bruce. Second best is the artwork & design. But this 'meta' trope has been done before, and getting to know the mice better just makes them even more annoying. To me.

Plenty of ppl love this book, though, and they are right to give it four or five stars. It is a great book. For them.
La Coccinelle
Nov 20, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children
This is the third picture book by Ryan T. Higgins that I've read. While it isn't my favourite, it's still really good.

Rupert the mouse decides he wants to make a wordless picture book because they're "very artistic". Unfortunately, his two friends have other ideas. They mean well, but while they're trying to help, they just keep talking. The result is that there are words on every page of this "wordless" picture book.

The illustrations are as charming as ever, with great facial expressions on Rup
B.A. Wilson
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
I've read 104 picture books with a 2017 copyright date in the last month, and this is my favorite so far. It actually made me chuckle, which says a lot, as I'm a hard sell these days. I sit on a committee that reads about 150-175 picture books a year, and as a result, I've read a lot of current picture books in the past 3 years and have a lot of opinions at this point. It becomes harder and harder to wow me each year.

This concept is adorable, and the story is really funny. The illustrations are
Kazia
Shelves: picturebooks
I have no idea if kids will like it but as someone who's grad school program was obsessed with wordless picture books this is legitimately the funniest thing I have ever read ...more
Elizabeth☮
This is hilarious! The premise is Rupert wants to write a wordless book, but his two friends keep talking about what should go in the book.

This has nice illustrations along with great vocabulary. I am going to buy this as soon as I can.
Colleen
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Colin says 'This book is so funny I have to read it over and over and over.' ...more
Casandria
Hilarious! Best for older kids--they would appreciate the "artistic" aspect and the jokes :)
Books
Quiet
DJ
Oct 07, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books, 2018
This is one of the cutest books I've ever read. Read it if you like feeling happy. ...more
David Cluett
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Very clever and witty! Brilliant read
Liam O'Callaghan
Oct 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a humourous read about Rupert the Mouse trying to keep everyone quiet throughout the book. The title says it all and I highly recommend it, using onomatopoeia during the book. A wonderful class read making the class laugh throughout. Ryan T.Higgins makes this an enjoyable read, go and check it out yourself
Kate
Jun 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a really cute, fun, and quirky children’s book. One mouse wants to write a sophisticated book that is wordless and depicts the story solely through evocative imagery. Two of his friends appear and want to be involved in the writing process and keep on messing it up by speaking.
D'Iberville Library
Jun 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: picture-books
These mice were introduced in Hotel Bruce and now they get their own little story.

Rupert wants to write a book without words. However, this is a very difficult task when his buddies cannot stop talking. They give each other suggestions and have a hard time understanding what "visually stimulating" means. This is a laugh out loud book.

Highly recommended.
Lesley Burnap
Apr 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book may not be as visually stimulating (or as quiet) as Rupert would like, but it IS hysterically funny! Well done, Mr. RT Higgins!
Chance Lee
Jan 16, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: picture-it
In Be Quiet! a mouse wants to make a wordless book but his friends won't stop talking.

I feel like this book is mostly adult jokes, but maybe kids will like it? I'm not sure I'm personally brave enough to read it at storytime because I'm not good at voices. Maybe if I had a cast of characters to help me.

I love the physical design of this book. The jacket, the cover, the end papers, everything is packed with colorful detail.
Emily
Oct 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: zoo-animals
A very amusing book! A picture book that is supposed to be 'wordless' but the characters just keep talking! This book is a picture book that is aimed at older children. With the use of terminology, such as 'onomatopoeia' it offers challenges to the readers despite it being a picture book. ...more
Liesl
Sep 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
My son got a big kick out of the onomatopoeia/Ima-gonna-pee-a exchange. Rare achievement unlocked: laughter-induced hiccups.
Angela
Nov 11, 2017 rated it really liked it
Very funny. And love that Bruce has a cameo. And during the second reading I spotted one of Bruce's goslings. ...more
Viviane Elbee
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Kids laughed a lot while I read this book.
Abigail
Nov 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Mother Bruce Fans / Anyone Looking for Good Meta-Fictional Children's Stories
When Rupert, one of the mice from author/artist Ryan T. Higgins' Hotel Bruce , decides to create a wordless picture-book, he finds that it is more difficult than he imagined. Two other mice, Nibbs and Thistle, are just as enthusiastic at the prospect of creating such a book - loudly and vocally enthusiastic! - and Rupert can't seem to shut them up. What's a mouse to do...?

In this hilarious meta-fictional follow-up to Mother Bruce and Hotel Bruce , Higgins once again pairs an entertaini
Kristin Nelson
May 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I read this one before I found the Bruce books and it made me laugh. The attempt to write a wordless picture book is foiled by the main character's pals. It reminded me of several books, like The Monster at the End of this Book and We are in a Book! and The Three Pigsand others where the reader is involved in the writing process. So much fun! Then when I read the Bruce books immediately after, I liked this book even more because he uses elements from those books in this one. Plus Ryan T. Higgins ...more
Martha
Jun 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The mouse friends from Mother Bruce are back in their third hilariously entertaining picture book. When the mice fail in the hotel business, Hotel Bruce, Nibbs comes up with a new career path for himself, becoming an author of wordless picture books. Buddies Rupert and Thistle love the idea, and beg to be included in the story. They have one problem, their exuberance leads to lots of speech bubbles on Nibbs' supposedly wordless picture book. When furious Nibbs tells them "no onomatopoeia" they m ...more
melhara
I quickly downloaded this from Overdrive the moment I finished We Don't Eat Our Classmates because I loved Ryan T. Higgins’ story and artwork. While We Don't Eat Our Classmates is definitely suitable for little kids, I'm not sure I can say the same about Be Quiet!. Be Quiet! contains beautiful illustrations that kids will surely enjoy, but I doubt they would understand some of the vocabulary or most of the jokes.

Be Quiet! is about Rupert the mouse who wants to star in an artistic and 'visually
Becky
First sentence: Finally! I get my very own book to star in. This is going to be great! I'm going to make it a wordless book. They are very artistic. This book will have NO WORDS at all. Starting....NOW.

Premise/plot: Rupert the Mouse is in the process of creating/writing/starring-in a WORDLESS picture book. Or is he?! When Thistle and Nibbs interrupt this work-in-progress, it seems doomed to fail. Neither mouse seems to understand the meaning of the word QUIET. Though both seem super-excited at
Julie
Absolutely funny and adorable; breaks the fourth wall. Rupert the mouse wants to create a "visually stimulating wordless picture book," but his friends Nibbs and Thistle keep adding words: lots and lots of words that Rupert doesn't want, because they are just too talkative for his plans! Creative, humorous wordplay and amusing illustrations that are, indeed, visually stimulating, created using scans of treated clayboard for textures, graphite, ink, and Photoshop. Written and illustrated by the a ...more
The Library Lady
Nov 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Funny stuff that your 2 or 3 year old will NOT GET!

On the other hand, perfect for lovers of Melanie Watt's Chester, and other books in the "Duck Amok" tradition. And speaking of cartoons, the artwork here makes the mice look a great deal like Stich from: "Lilo and Stich," but it's fun art.

P.S. A warning for those who have issues with such: there is a pee joke here. One more reason your older preschoolers or early elementary age boy will roar over this one.
Megan
Shelves: picture-books
This book is outrageous in the same way that I Want My Hat Back and Snappsy the Alligator are as fun (if not more fun) for the grown-up reader, too! ...more

• XO, OX: A Love Story
  • Shawn Loves Sharks
  • The Legend of Rock Paper Scissors
  • After the Fall: How Humpty Dumpty Got Back up Again
  • The Donkey Egg
  • 7 Ate 9: The Untold Story
  • Bob, Not Bob!
  • Nerdy Birdy (Nerdy Birdy, #1)
  • Giraffe Problems
  • The Good Egg (The Bad Seed, #2)
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation
  • The Very Impatient Caterpillar
  • Creepy Pair of Underwear!
  • I Am Not a Chair!
  • Bear Came Along
  • The Good Egg Presents: The Great Eggscape!
  • Tyrannosaurus Rex vs. Edna, The Very First Chicken