Start by marking “Into Everywhere” as Want to Read:
Into Everywhere

Into Everywhere

(The Choice #2)

4.04  ·  Rating details ·  351 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
The Jackaroo, those enigmatic aliens who claim to have come to help, gave humanity access to worlds littered with ruins and scraps of technology left by long-dead client races. But although people have found new uses for alien technology, that technology may have found its own uses for people.

The dissolute scion of a powerful merchant family, and a woman living in seclusio
Published April 11th 2017 by Gollancz (first published March 17th 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Into Everywhere, please sign up.
Mark Stackpole No. Although "Into Everywhere" appears to be a standalone, about halfway through the events and characters of "Something Coming Through" start to…moreNo. Although "Into Everywhere" appears to be a standalone, about halfway through the events and characters of "Something Coming Through" start to drive the plot. The climax won't nearly have its punch without familiarity with the first book.(less)

Tudor Ciocarlie
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2016-my-best-of
Most of the alien contact novels are about human beings looking into a mirror and about how we deal with something different. Into Everywhere is about humans looking into the abyss, into something that is totally alien and truly unknowable. And painting the unknowable is not a easy feat to pull of. It was a really pleasure to read McAuleay's latest and a privilege for my mind to be engage by it.
William
Apr 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A terrific, fast paced continuation of the Jackaroo novel "Somethings Coming Through"

Note: Short Jackaroo series novella "Crimes and Glory" complete and online now at

We find two new protagonists, with chapter-intereleaved stories 100 years apart. This confused me at first, as I had not realised the huge time displacement between the two.

Both stories come together in the last 1/4 of the book or so, a wonderfully complex plot which took some effort to keep s
Jorg
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: science-fiction
A new McAuley is always welcome, and more so when it is a McAuley working in the hard space opera mode. This is the second novel set in the Jackaroo universe (which, apparently, contains some short stories I have not had a chance to track down yet) and is a classic example of both the strengths and the flaws of the author. Strengths outnumber the flaws greatly, however!

The good: awesomely intelligent, packed with ideas to the density few have ever been capable of (Banks and Stross come to mind)
Panagiotis Karatasios
Wow! I expected this book (sequel to Something's coming through) to be a good book but McAuley has greatly surpassed my expectations. This is the work of a writer who is at the high point of his carreer and right now he is the best science fiction writer in the UK and not only.
Usually the first contact stories put humanity in front of a mirror of itself but here McAuley puts humanity in front of the abyss.: in a universe really alien where humanity is just the later arrival and not a very import
Peter Tillman
Very successful novel, as was its 2015 predecessor, “Something Coming Through”. This one is even better. More penetration into the strange Jackaroo universe; the first close look at the chatty !Cha aliens, more eidolon weirdness…. Loads of good stuff, including innumerable internal references to previous SF classics, a touch that will warm a long-time fan’s heart (mine anyway). Plus, exploding spaceships! Best SF novel of the year for me, I think.

The Jackaroo are among the most enigmatic of sfna
Jamie Rich
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Into Everywhere (Paperback) by Paul McAuley

Follows Something Coming Through, but from a more distant timescale. You can, however, easily read this as a stand alone book. The action is fast paced, and the characters are driven. Sometimes they are driven by their own ambitions and sense of purpose, sometimes they are driven by other, more alien ghosts in the machine.
The author does a wonderful job of continuing the universe he started in the first book, and asks some cogent questions along the wa
Damien G
Feb 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A brilliant follow up to the previous book of the series. A science fiction book which challenges you and makes you think. It is cleverly written, and has links to the previous novel. The cleverness of the novel is in it's characterisation. Tony and Lisa are damaged people, finding themselves in a situation not of their making. Guided and directed by outsiders they will eventually meet up. What I like are the clever references to Earth, and how brands(Starbucks) made it out to the new planets. L ...more
Peter Dunn
Dec 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The book follows much the same structure as its predecessor, ‘Something Coming Through’, covering two different time periods/protagonists in alternating chapters until both viewpoints unsurprisingly come together towards the end of the book.

This sequel does the job that sorely needed to be done, which was to complete and deliver on the slightly lacklustre ending of the previous book and does this pretty well – but the job I think is now done. Please, please don’t make this a trilogy. More Jackar
db
May 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Heard about this author snd book on the Coode Street Podcast, a podcast that talks about sci fi.

The story puts forward very interesting science and tech concepts. The human characters carry the story with humor and humanity, and the other non humsn characters grow into fantastical beings that kept me thinking after I put the book down.

Imaginative, clever, entertaining
Steve
Feb 24, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked both books and the second kept me guessing right to the last pages. Even without revealing the true nature of the Jackeroo it was still a most satisfying novel and I look forward to the next novel, whatever that will be.
Kay Smillie
Mar 31, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good book, sequel to Something Coming Through, written in the same style as this first where two different stories collide in some style at the end. It answers the questions about the Jackaroo and it was not what I expected but it does pave the way for more in the series.

Ray Smillie
H. C.
Jul 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Clever world building.

A pleasure to read. Good story telling and ideas a-plenty. Recommended for lovers of the Iain Banks universe and such.
John Day
Mar 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A wonderful sequel to "Something Coming Through" is one of the best SF books I've read in a long time.
Rochelle
Mar 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: have
This a complex hardcore Sci-Fi story with lots of intrigue and twists and even though I must admit to being intimidated at first by the terminology and concepts which went over my head, I stuck with it and really enjoyed it after all.
I really like the way two storylines converge in the end while at first seeming totally unconnected. The different factions all think they know what the aliens want but they are all wrong.
This is a well-thought out, intelligent space-opera and I loved the world and
Charles
I started this after reading and liking Something Coming Through. ( My review of Something Coming Through.)

While this series is not as good as his The Quiet War series, its better than most of the serial space-operas out there.

McAuley is a very proficient author. All prose is top-notch.

In this story, like in Something Coming Through, he uses a split POV, essentially Tony and Lisa. Also like in the previous story, I thought the female character to be much better wrought then the male. I particu
Ken Richards
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The sequel to last year's 'Something Coming Through' continues the the story of humans seeking the answers to the motivations of their 'helpers', the enigmatic and inscrutable Jackaroo. The futuristic Gold rush continues, scrabbling through the mysterious leavings of the 'Elder Cultures', sometimes finding riches, and sometimes madness or death. Lurking in the background are busineswoman Ada Morange and policeman Adam Nevers who have irreconcilable differences about the wisdom of using alien tec ...more
Bee Wyeth
Jun 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi
Brilliant, fully immersive experience. I love the way you can fall into his narrative and it just takes you away through time and space. Great, gritty characters and a fascinating set up. In every book you learn a little more but it opens up many more questions. I hope there is a lot more to come in this series.
Richard Whale
Jun 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I found this was a really well written book. I enjoyed the way the story takes you through time and space. Well developed and plausible characters. Look forward to more in the series.

Adam
Mar 21, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meh.
Keith Stevenson
Paul McAuley is a British speculative fiction author, best known for his Arthur C Clarke award-winning science fiction novel Fairyland, which has just been re-released twenty years after its initial publication under the Gollancz ‘SF Masterworks’ imprint. His Quiet War series of books chart a Solar System-spanning war between Earth-born humans and the ‘differently evolved’ descendents of early settlers on the asteroids and moons of the outer planets. It’s a richly detailed work that combines big ...more
Nigel
Sep 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction
Having been gifted fifteen worlds and the limited means of getting there by the enigmatic alien Jackaroo, as of the end of the previous book, humanity had stumbled across a fleet of ships left behind by a long-vanished race. In fact, the remains of long-vanished races are everywhere, that's pretty much the main theme of the book. The ruins of ancient civilsations and their technologies are scattered across space and a network of wormholes that allow humans to travel and dig up trouble and make o ...more
Alastair Hudson
Apr 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
I received this as a promotion freebie and didn't hold much hope as to it's quality.
Three other books that cam in the bundle we quickly discarded but this I kept.
And now I've finished reading it. And it was good.
The story follows two threads that join up towards the end. The settings are varied (as required in adventure Sci-Fi tales) and nicely described without it turning into the sort of travel guide approach that Iain M Banks and others enjoy. There's also constant revelations as different pa
Derrick
I enjoyed the book, but I found it got far too mystical for my liking. I liked the way that he ran the two story streams - although it took me a while to catch on. A bit less of the "eidolons" in every other sentence would have probably been enough to fix this for me. I very much liked the honesty of the characters - almost too honest; I winced in sympathy on more than one occasion!

Definitely worth a read.
Gerhard
Oct 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017, favorites
McAuley has officially out-2001ed Arthur C. Clarke with That Ending. I'm still scratching my head about it though. And sniffling about the dog. This is also officially McAuley's Stephen King SF magnum opus: it has everything in it. What a fun set of novels ... I get the feeling we haven't heard the last from Unlikely Worlds.
Jason
May 18, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2018
5 Stars

Into Everywhere is a fabulous read. I was already a fan of McAuley and this one didn't disappoint.

Highly recommended
BeefSupreme
Oct 06, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was cool but I would have wanted an ending that explained more.
Bryan
Jun 17, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Meanders and meanders, but even by the end this book never really gets to the point. A lot of potential, but disappointing execution.
Brad Holt
Oct 30, 2016
Mike Walker
Jun 10, 2017
Kelly
Sep 23, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
  • The Colonists (Movement Trilogy, #2)
  • The Apocalypse Ocean (Xenowealth #4)
  • Non-Electric Boogaloo (Pennsylvania #2)
  • Crossroads (Contamination #2)
  • Free Draw (Jake Samson, #2)
  • Alt.History 101 (The Future Chronicles)
  • Melt Down (Breakers, #2)
  • The Return of the Discontinued Man (Burton & Swinburne, #5)
  • Wizard's Moon
  • Second You Sin (Kevin Connor Mystery #2)
  • Hoarfrost (Whyborne & Griffin, #6)
  • Zypheria's call (Tanyth Fairport, #2)
  • The Fall: Tales from the Apocalypse
  • The Hidden Doors (Explorer, #3)
  • Ōoku: The Inner Chambers, Volume 3 (Ōoku: The Inner Chambers / 大奥, #3)
Since about 2000, book jackets have given his name as just Paul McAuley.

A biologist by training, UK science fiction author McAuley writes mostly hard science fiction, dealing with themes such as biotechnology, alternate history/alternate reality, and space travel.

McAuley has also used biotechnology and nanotechnology themes in near-future settings.

Since 2001, he has produced several SF-based tech

The Choice (2 books)
  • Something Coming Through

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• World After (Penryn & the End of Days, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Fortune's Rising (Outer Bounds #1)
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • End of Days (Penryn & the End of Days, #3)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • The Beginning of the End (Apocalypse Z, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Going Wild (Going Wild #1)
  • Renegade: The Lost Books, Book 3
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Awakening (The Vampire Diaries, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Making History
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Godsgrave (The Nevernight Chronicle, #2)
    $10.99 $2.99
  • Carve the Mark (Carve the Mark, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
    $12.99 $3.99
  • Enchantress (Evermen Saga, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Glass Magician (The Paper Magician Trilogy, #2)
  • Let the Right One In: A Novel
  • Come Out Tonight
    $3.99 $0.99
  • The Iron Trial (Magisterium #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1)
  • Fawkes
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Sticks & Stones (Upside-Down Magic #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Hidden Relic (Evermen Saga, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Soul of the Fire (Sword of Truth #5)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2)
  • The Witch's Vacuum Cleaner and Other Stories
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Last Namsara (Iskari #1)
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Rift Uprising (The Rift Uprising Trilogy #1)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Girl from Everywhere (The Girl From Everywhere, #1)
  • A Game of Thrones: The Graphic Novel: Volume One
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Temple of the Winds (Sword of Truth Book 4)
    $9.99 $2.49
  • The Witch's Daughter (The Witch's Daughter, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Winter King: A Novel of Arthur (Warlord Chronicles)
  • Journey to the Center of the Earth
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Midnight Riot (Peter Grant, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Venom in the Veins (Elemental Assassin, #17)
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The City of Brass (The Daevabad Trilogy, #1)
    $11.99 $1.99
  • I, Robot
    $7.99 $2.99
  • Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1)
    $8.99 $2.49
  • Running with the Demon (Word & Void #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Infomocracy (The Centenal Cycle, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • The Atopia Chronicles (Atopia, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Stone of Tears (Sword of Truth Book 2)
    $9.99 $2.49
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Broken Pride (Bravelands, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Quicksilver (The Baroque Cycle, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Sweep in Peace (Innkeeper Chronicles, #2)
    $4.99 $1.49
  • Immortal: Love Stories with Bite
    $8.99 $1.99
  • The Book of the Unnamed Midwife (The Road to Nowhere, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Witch's Reign (Desert Cursed, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
“Even the straightest path has two directions.” 1 likes
“They were sitting outside the big Starbucks that anchored the western end of Pioneer Square. Lisa was drinking iced tea sweetened with half a dozen packets of sugar, Bria a flat white, Pete sprawled under the table with a dish of water. All around, people sat at café tables in the late afternoon sunlight, perched on broad steps that dropped to the well where a gout of water pulsed and plashed. Smart little yellow trams ran along one side of the square, which was bordered by office buildings and the plate-glass windows of high-end shops. A sliver of Earth jammed into this alien world, where a dozen or more Elder Cultures had lived and died out or ascended to some unfathomable stage of consciousness, leaving behind ruins and artefacts, scraps of technology, algorithms and eidolons. A perfectly ordinary scene…” 0 likes