Start by marking “Back in the Game (Champion Valley, #2)” as Want to Read:
Back in the Game (Champion Valley, #2)

Back in the Game

(Champion Valley #2)

WHEN YOU PLAY FOR LOVE, YOU PLAY FOR KEEPS
Stella Davenport wasn't made for small-town life. Sure, teaching ballet in Blanco Valley, Colorado, is great, but she longs for the chance to perform in a big city. Stella swore she'd never let anything get in the way of her dream--until sexy, broad-shouldered Brandon West walks back into her life. Stella is determined to resist hi
Mass Market Paperback, 318 pages
Published October 31st 2017 by Forever

To ask other readers questions about Back in the Game, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Back in the Game

Amy
This one really surprised me! It wasn’t so much a sexy book as a true exploration of a relationship. I kind of liked that after a lot of racy romances recently. It was nice to focus on the relationship instead of the physical stuff. I really liked Stella and Brandon. They had great chemistry and the dialog between the two was fantastic! They both have baggage and history. Most of the book involves exploring that baggage and trying to move through it and into what they want for themselves. And it ...more
Kimmy (Sinfully Snarky Reviews)
4 Back in the Game Stars!

Back in the Game was the first book I've read by Erin Kern and I really enjoyed this book. The chemistry and banter between Stella and Brandon was amazing.

Stella is a former ballet dancer who had to give up dancing due to a knee injury. She now teaches ballet in Blanco Valley to younger dancer and help out the local football players with foot coordination.

Brandon is a local single father who had to give up his dreams of football and college to raise his son, Matt. Aft
Jessica
Nov 04, 2017 rated it liked it
I am a sucker for a good contemporary romance and this one looked too adorable to pass up. I was so excited to read a single dad romance with a dance teacher in their small town.

Stella Davenport had grand dreams of being a professional ballerina in Chicago. She was living the dream, until an accident left her unable to dance professionally. Stella powered through, though, and dreamed of choreographing back in the big city instead. She let her chance go for a guy once and promised herself never
Lisa (Remarkablylisa)
I received a copy from the publisher in exchange for an honest review.

Okay, so after reading Champion Valley book # 1 and book # 3, I really wanted to finish the series with this one but honestly, what? This book was so similar to book # 1, it left a huge bad after taste in my mouth that made me DNF this before 30% mark. I'm disappointed because I thought Brandon would be an easy one and actually just go for the girl (Stella) and no drama. Just sweet and fluffy times but nope. Brandon and Stella
Heather andrews
Aug 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brandon is always finding ways and excuses to argue with Stella, "his pupils filled his coffee-colored eyes. “Didn’t say I had a problem with it. But you slap a pair of spandex on legs like that, and men will take notice.” Brandon is always willing to give his girl some new experiences, “now that we’ve got that straight.” He started walking with her hanging on to him. “Let’s go find a tree I can back you up against.” I really enjoyed this book, I loved the relationship Brandon and his son had.
Jenny Prose
Oct 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Review for:

Back In The Game

By Erin Kern

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐

Friends tormented by their pasts learning to find their way to each other and realizing that they loved each other from the start.

Review by Jen M.
Janet Robel
Oct 31, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great page-turning contemporary romance. The main characters pull you in immediately, and you feel like you really know them. I really enjoyed this.
Bec

Stella Davenport has dreamt of returning to her life as a ballerina performing in a big city, but with her injury, it's not likely she'll ever get the chance. However, when an opportunity arises and she's offered her dream job, Stella decides that nothing and no-one is going to stop her from accepting it. Yet, the more time she spends with Brendon West, the more Stella finds it hard to stay away. But with both their pasts leaving it hard for them to put their full trust in someone of the opposit
Misty (Reds Romance Reviews)
Sep 26, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Single dad Brandon West likes the simple and peaceful life he has created for him and his son, but when beautiful ballerina Stella Davenport breezes into their quiet world, everything starts to take on a lively approach. She is energetic, full of big dreams, sassy, and she pushed his buttons every chance she gets, and as much as he hates to admit it, he thoroughly enjoys every minute of it. And just when things start to go well between them, and head into heated and oh so sexy territory, she ann ...more
Romancing the Book
Reviewed by JoAnne
Book provided by Netgalley
Review originally posted at Romancing the Book

Kern is a new to me author and I don’t know how I’ve missed reading any of her books before now. Back in the Game is the second book in the Champion Valley series and I need to read Winner Takes All the first book and book 3, Changing the Rules when it’s released next March.

High School football is a major part of the story along with ballet and lost and second chances. Stella and Brandon have chemistry that
books are love
Oct 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Erin Kern followed up the first book in the Champion Valley series with a bang.

Brandon is the sexiest guy and that beard yummy. He is also a awesome dad. You see that he loves his son and will sacrifice anything for him but is afraid of his son making the same mistakes he did at his age. Sometimes his fear makes him overprotective but it is understandable. His ex really left him with some trust issues and with the help of his friends and Stella.

Stella is sweet and feisty. She, like Brandon, hav
Kathy
3.5 stars.

Back in the Game by Erin Kern is a somewhat angsty romance between two protagonists who are both carrying A LOT of baggage. This second installment in the Champion Valley series can be read as a standalone but the failed date between the couple in this outing occurred in the first book in the series.

Respective events from both Stella Davenport and Brandon West's pasts continue to affect them well into adulthood. Stella's childhood with her flighty and inattentive mother and a traumatic
Melody  May (What I'm Reading)
Posted on What I'm Reading

When I started Back In The Game I wasn't sure what to expect. From the blurb it sounded super cute and the cover was cute too, so I figure I would take a shot at reading this story. The story was an all right read. Stella and Brandon have an interesting relationship. Brandon doesn't want to get close to Stella, because he's fearful that she would break his heart. Stella has some personal issues. She would fall into a category a fictional character who would benefit from
Romantic Reads and Such
Oct 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Brandon and Stella are so absolutely adorable together. They have the steam and the sass and all the feels that you could want!

Brandon found himself a single dad at way too young and while he is a fabulous dad his past has left him with some trust issues when it comes to women. He can’t handle being left again and with Stella’s plans to go to Chicago that’s exactly what will happen if he lets himself get involved. Unfortunately (or fortunately) the two can’t fight their attraction and he starts
Eva
the champion valley series continues with back in the game, and has single dad brandon figuring out his slow burn romance with ballet dancer stella. after their disastrous first date where stella ended up throwing up all over brandon's shoes, they'd spent most of their time avoiding each other.

but when brandon's son matt learns that taking some ballet lessons might help him with his footwork on the football field, stella finds that she can't help herself from running interference. i'm still kind
Deanna
Nov 01, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Stella Davenport gave up her dream job as a dance instructor once before , but she’s determined to never make that mistake again. Brandon West knows better than to expect a woman like Stella to stick around a small town when she has dreams to chase and big cities to live in. Neither Brandon nor Stella are ready for the attraction that flairs between them and yet, it doesn’t seem to be going anywhere.

Back in the Game is a wonderful second chance romance story with two strong, compelling character
Lynn Brooks
Nov 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Chemistry abounds between two unlikely people! A sassy connection between a single dad and the local ballet teacher makes for a really fun read! They bounce witty comebacks off each other every chance they get, and when they finally decide to give in to the attraction they feel, sparks ignite! The characters are easy to like, and although the romance is slow to happen, it's a nice build up throughout. I enjoyed their story!

Stella Davenport never expected to find herself teaching ballet in a smal
Jackie Wright
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
Erin Kern is a new author to me but after reading Back in the Game I will be looking at her other books especially book 1 in the Champion Valley Series of which this story is book 2.
Second chance romance and single dads are everything I love in a book at the moment and this book did not disappoint.
Single dad Brandon West is happy with his life, he is not looking for a relationship, he likes the life he has built for him and his son Matt. Stella Davenport is happy teaching ballet in Blanco Valle
Becca
Dec 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I really loved this book a lot. I loved the vulnerability of Stella and Brandon.

Stella had gone on a date with Brandon once before... and it ended in disaster. Now she finds Brandon back in her life and she can't help but think WHAT IF? Brandon has always had a thing for Stella, who cares if their date didn't go perfectly, she still had that something that he was drawn to. The thing is, he knows she's not in their small little town to stay or is she?

The two fight against their attractions, know
Minx
When you read the synopsis for Back in the Game you may think that this is a second chance romance because of this part “walks back into her life” but you would be mistaken, as I was. Stella and Brandon had previously gone on a date which ended in disaster and since then they have kept as much distance from each other as possible. Which works fine for both of them because they both have had grievously bad relationship experiences and are not looking for anything serious or otherwise.

It wasn’t un
Mellena
Nov 01, 2017 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. It was all about the romance and though it had its heated moments it was a pretty clean read. This book focused on getting Brandon who has some serious abandonment issues and Stella who has major trust issues plus some together. I really liked that we were more focused on these two working things through and dealing with their problems. The tension is off the charts and the sexual tension was through the roof. Brandon knows how to make things difficult for himself and Stella i ...more
A Book Lover's Emporium Book Blog
Erin Kern did an amazing job writing this story; it is the first book I have read from her but I think I will be reading more.

Is it a good idea for a dance teacher to teach a football player ballet, when she's attracted to his Dad? Well that is what happened when Matt walked into Stella Davenport's studio.

I liked how Matt thought he could sign up for ballet lessons without his dad's permission. Brandon West didn't understand why his son needed them and I loved how Stella cornered Brandon to ta
Melinda
Oct 31, 2017 rated it liked it
I received a free copy through Goodreads
---
Stella and Brandon are so sweet together. I like how the author takes the time to really develop the two of them and their relationships, without rushing into anything. It demonstrates the growth that both of them went through before coming to the conclusion....that they are totally meant for each other and are perfect together.

Their chemistry is off the charts and both of them work through their baggages together without being pushed too much in the wr
Regan
Oct 24, 2017 rated it really liked it

Writing two people who have been hurt in the past and unable to let go and trust again could have fallen into a morose story. While both Matt and Stella do ruminate about their pasts, Kern blends happy times and gives them both a sense of humor as they battle their inner demons. She tells a really fun story.
Liz
Jan 09, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a nice, clean romance that is a comfortable evening's read. I'd read the first in this series and it was a pleasure seeing these same characters again. And, I anticipate, they'll all show up in the upcoming book too. The plot is fairly predictable but the dialogue and mood of the story makes it a worthwhile story.
I won a copy of this book in a Goodreads giveaway for this honest review.
Catherine  Wright (Cat's Guilty Pleasure)
I enjoyed this heartwarming and very well written book. It was complete with lots of banter between the two. The characters were just amazing and very lovable. I look forward to reading more from this author.
Meaghan
Nov 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley
Stella and Brandon had a great chemistry and watching them navigate an actual relationship, dealing with real life issues, was very refreshing. I enjoyed this one very much.
Noreen Fredriksen
Nov 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book. I read it in one day.
The Book Lover
Aug 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I was not impressed by this book at all..
wRb
May 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love the story, the funny dialogues and situations, the hilarious side characters. Love it!

• Totally His (Opposites Attract #3)
  • Hot Pursuit
  • Breathless (Yoga in the City #1)
  • One Kiss More (U.S. Marshals, #2)
  • Crushing Misery
  • The Decoy Date (The Wedding Date #4)
  • Hard To Stay (Hard #2)
  • Storming the Castle
  • Must Love Babies (Must Love Babies #1)
  • Intercepting the Chef (How to Score, #1)
  • America's Sweetheart (Real Love, #5)
  • The Rules of Half
  • Suddenly Mine (Montgomery Brothers, #8)
  • The Breakup (The Jordan Brothers)
  • The Unprotected
  • Best of Luck (Lucky #3)
  • Don't Call Me Sweetheart (Something Borrowed #1)
  • Close to the Skin (Skin Quartet #2)
I started writing back in 2004 and six years later self-published the third book I wrote. Two years after that I landed a contract with Grand Central Publishing.

Now I'm just chugging along, spitting out books faster than my kids can turn my living room into a disaster zone...

Actually, that's not entirely true. I only wish it were true.

But in all seriousness, I write sassy and sexy contemporary rom

Champion Valley (3 books)
  • Winner Takes All (Champion Valley, #1)
  • Changing the Rules (Champion Valley, #3)