Start by marking “This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World” as Want to Read:
This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World

This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World

Follow one day in the real lives of seven kids from around the world—Italy, Japan, Iran, India, Peru, Uganda, and Russia!

In Japan, Kei plays Freeze Tag, while in Uganda, Daphine likes to jump rope. While the way they play may differ, the shared rhythm of their days—and this one world we all share—unites them.

This genuine exchange provides a window into traditions that may
Published May 2nd 2017 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about This Is How We Do It, please sign up.
Elizabeth Peacock Loved the illustrations, but 100% of the families have a mom and dad? That just is not reality. Over 1/3 of families in the US are single parent. Late…moreLoved the illustrations, but 100% of the families have a mom and dad? That just is not reality. Over 1/3 of families in the US are single parent. Latest data from Russia, I believe are about 20%, same in Uganda. Not to mention LGBT families. My daughters known that 'most' families have a Dad, but I'm always pointing out to them the diversity of family structure in their school. This book doesn't represent statistics.(less)

Start your review of This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World
Sheri
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! I loved this look into children's lives in different parts of the world. My favorites were how I spell my name and how we eat dinner. I found the differences in when people eat dinner to be interesting and it made me wonder about bedtime and waketime, neither of which was shown unfortunately.

I can see this book leading to many discussions about how people live and why. The book is a good opening to conversations about our similarities and differences no matter where we li
Caroline
This is How We Do It is a nonfiction look into the lives of seven real children living in seven very different places: Russia, Uganda, Italy, Peru, Japan, Iran, and India. Among other things, author Matt LaMothe showed their homes, their school clothes, their lunches, and their dinners (including what was most interesting to me: when they eat dinner). Like the other things, dinner time varies considerably, but I wasn't expecting just how much. For instance, the Russian boy profiled eats dinner a ...more
Kate
Perfect for pre-K and Kindergarten and emergent readers.

I love everything about this book except for the fact that the families shown are all two-heterosexual-parent families with 2-3 kids. Celebrating all the different types of nuclear families that exist in the world is not the point of the book, but it misses a real opportunity to at least show that multiple generations living under the same roof is common in many parts of the world.
paula
I have spent years recommending What the World Eats and Material World to families for their irresistible peek into the everyday lives of families around the world. This spectacular picture book offers the same engrossing level of detail, but with an illustrator's eye. So good. Put one in every classroom.

GIANT IRRESISTIBLE BONUS: photographs of all of the REAL families profiled in the book at the back. Seeing is believing.
La Coccinelle
Nov 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children, non-fiction
Before I opened this book, I saw some reviews that complained about the lack of diversity in the makeup of the families (they all have a mom and a dad). I would argue that that argument somewhat misses the point. This isn't a book where kids are supposed to see themselves reflected in what they're reading; this is a book that aims to show kids about different lives and experiences that they might not have any previous knowledge of. I didn't expect to see a lot of gay couples raising kids (especi ...more
Allison
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Really cool book. I could see kids spending hours poring over the details. I love that the author included photos of the real families in the back. I didn't love that all the families were structured so similarly - 2 parent households with a mom, dad, and kids. A missed opportunity to include different types of families in an otherwise diverse book.
Kathryn
Jun 15, 2020 rated it really liked it
A lovely, deceptively simple book. It shows how one child from each country goes about his/her day, so you will see the differences in housing, socio-economic background, the foods they eat, what school is like etc. It is presented without a "lesson" attached but is such a beautiful way to foster a respect for different cultures while showing that fundamentally children are so much the same in their basic needs for nourishment and shelter, love, education, and play.
Shari
Dec 12, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrensbooks
This is a book that you can go back to again and again. Put it a text set with ALL IN A DAY by Mitsumasa Anno and THIS IS THE WAY WE GO TO SCHOOL by Edith Baer. A wonderful resource for writing and social studies.
Gary Anderson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I thought This Is How We Do It was going to be a little too busy and confusing. Silly me. It comes together smoothly as author Matt Lamothe charmingly shows how kids from Italy, Japan, Peru, Uganda, Russia, India, and Iran do pretty much the same things American kids do, although some of the details are different. Each activity—breakfast, going to school, playing, etc.—is shown in action from other the countries, with a space on the page for American kids to reflect on their own version ...more
Olga Thompson
Apr 12, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I never thought I could learn so much from a children’s book! My son and I especially loved looking through pictures of all the different foods people eat around the world. This book encourages a lot of discussion and inspiration. It inspired me to cook more Russian food for my family.
Erin Buhr
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Follow seven kids from around the world through their day in this beautiful and diverse book. It features; Ribaldo from Peru, Romeo from Italy, Oleg from Russia, Daphine from Uganda, Kian from Iran, Ananya from India and Kei from Japan. From where they live and what they were to school to how they spell their name (my favorite page) and where they go to bed this story is simple but magical. It perfectly illustrates the fascinating differences of life around the world, but also the interesting wa ...more
Aliza Werner
I loved pouring over the illustrations of this book and learning about cultures all over the world through the eyes of children. My one criticism is that every family represented includes both a mother and a father. I would have liked to see some diversity in the make up of each family, including a family with a single parent, a same-sex couple, an only child, or multigenerational families. That was a huge missed opportunity.
Katie Dicesare
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will have my kids captivated and asking lots of questions. I read it with a hopefulness that it was based on the lives of real children and families and I loved seeing the photographs depicting theses families at the end. Awesome look into how we are all the same but different.
Anna
Oct 16, 2018 rated it liked it
The premise of the book is great- exploring and celebrating differences. Except that from seven families, every single one includes a set of straight, cis-parents. I could have used some more diversity, but overall the kids loved it.
Bethany
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, wndb
7 kids from around the world talk about who they are, where they live, what they eat, how they get to school, what they do at school, and what they do in their free time. The illustrations have so much for kids to pore over, and the text succinctly describes their daily lives.

While reading, I wondered how the authors chose these kinds of lives to write about. How much is typical? How much is stereotypical? Why choose these particular types of homes and lives? And then, right at the end, the answ
Lisa
Jun 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children, 2020
This book is amazing, honestly. We read it just a few pages a day and the whole family was fascinated by it. It’s based on the lives of kids from 7 different real families—one each in Italy, Japan, Peru, Uganda, Russia, India, and Iran. My kids especially loved the pages showing what they would typically eat for each meal. It also shows where they go to school, what they do for fun, what they wear, and how they sleep. Wonderful book with lots of colorful illustrations and a great way to introduc ...more
Michele Knott
A book that celebrates our differences and shares our similarities!
Rachel Watkins
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matt Lamothe’s THIS IS HOW WE DO IT is my new favorite picture book. Lamothe takes us through a day in the life of 7 children in 7 different countries examining details like what they wear to school, what they eat, and where they sleep. Use this book to highlight similarities and differences between cultures as well as launching discussions about human beings as citizens of planet Earth.
Steph
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-in-2018
I really liked this book. I think it's important for children to grow up understanding how different everyone can be, yet how similar at the same time. It's a very informative book that gets the point across in a way that young children can understand. It would definitely help raise children that arr respectful of different cultures . 5/5
Immy
Aug 24, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
I absolutely loved this book.
Beautifully illustrated, Lamothe takes you through a 'day in the life' of seven real children from around the world, from Italy to Uganda we see through brief quotes from these children and the gorgeous drawings how each child's life differs. From what they eat for breakfast, through to their bedrooms, Lamothe exemplifies the ways that different cultures live. To add to the beauty of this book, Lamothe has shown how each child sleeps under the same night sky. Remind
Sandy Brehl
Compare Mirror (by Jeannie Baker) and this very recent release by author/illustrator Matt Lamothe, THIS IS HOW WE DO IT. Rather than explore only two families and cultures, Lamothe selects seven families from around the world to portray and label the intricacies of similarities and differences through the course of a day-in-the-life in various cultures.
He doesn't attempt to weave a storyline throughout their lives. In fact, he chose to shift the positioning of each character/culture instead of
Earl
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure I read this and reviewed it so I don't know why it wasn't rated on Goodreads and mentioned on my blog.

A great book for young readers to glimpse how other kids in other countries live their lives and how they go about it. And, in the differences, they also see the similarities.

I enjoy pairing this with Chloe Perkin's Living In series.
Jamila
I enjoyed reading this book. It is beautiful and thought-provoking.

It is problematic that all of the children selected have the same parent structure: two, seemingly, cisgendered heterosexual adults. It would have been better to have at least one family with a different type of parenting structure. Diversity in family structure is important for children to understand and develop empathy around.
Nadine
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book and it's beautifully illustrated and it fits in perfectly with many units of inquiry and the whole global thing. The author is at pains to say that they are 7 families and are not representative of everyone in that country. However I did feel that it would have been nice to have at least one of the families not to be a nuclear family but to show the way that many families around the world are multi-generational. I was surprised to see that both the Italian and Indian family ...more
Gayathiri Rajendran
Jun 06, 2020 rated it really liked it
This Is How We Do It is an excellent book which shows the daily lives of seven children who live in different countries across the world.

The author shows the activities of the children in a typical day.We get an insight into the family,foood,culture,education,recreation etc.The illustrations are pleasant to look at and my favorite part of the book was the food and various games the children played.

The end of the book has photographs of the real families this book is based on.That was a nice touc
Karen
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love so many aspects of this beautiful book. It’s a window into seven real children’s lives: Romeo (Italy), Kei (Japan), Daphine (Uganda), Oleg (Russia), Ananya (India), Ribaldo (Peru), and Kian (Iran). In the realistic illustrations we see where they live and go to school, their family composition, what food they eat, how they play, help, and spell their name, and more. It’s fascinating to see the differences and what we all have in common.
Barbara
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and informative peak into the lives of seven children from around the world. Transportation, schooling, home life, family members and food are all discussed in a charming and accessible way. A real treat is to see photographs of the children and their families at the end of the book. What a terrific way to expose children to other cultures.
Piyali
Aug 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a great way to expose young readers to the world of children living in countries around the world. It goes without saying Ananya's everyday life matched my own childhood where both carrom and the game 'rumal chor' with friends featured almost every day. :)
Nathan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-kids
Great illustrated book showcasing the lives of children in 7 different countries. My kids enjoyed learning, comparing and finding similarities with their own lives.
Victoria
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read picture books, and if I do I don't add them to good reads. But this book was so fun and so interesting to read, I just had to add it, also so I wouldn't forget about it, cause that's what goodreads is good for.

• The Boring Book
  • Sofia Valdez, Future Prez
  • If Sharks Disappeared
  • The Brilliant Deep: Rebuilding the World's Coral Reefs: The Story of Ken Nedimyer and the Coral Restoration Foundation
  • A Stone Sat Still
  • Here We Are: Notes for Living on Planet Earth
  • Islandborn
  • Pete the Cat: Firefighter Pete
  • Windows
  • What Can a Crane Pick Up?
  • I Didn't Do My Homework Because...
  • Fry Bread: A Native American Family Story