Start by marking “This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World” as Want to Read:
This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World

This Is How We Do It: One Day in the Lives of Seven Kids from around the World

4.42  ·  Rating details ·  639 Ratings  ·  179 Reviews
Follow one day in the real lives of seven kids from around the world—Italy, Japan, Iran, India, Peru, Uganda, and Russia!

In Japan, Kei plays Freeze Tag, while in Uganda, Daphine likes to jump rope. While the way they play may differ, the shared rhythm of their days—and this one world we all share—unites them.

This genuine exchange provides a window into traditions that may
Published May 2nd 2017 by Chronicle Books

Sheri
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
What a fantastic book! I loved this look into children's lives in different parts of the world. My favorites were how I spell my name and how we eat dinner. I found the differences in when people eat dinner to be interesting and it made me wonder about bedtime and waketime, neither of which was shown unfortunately.

I can see this book leading to many discussions about how people live and why. The book is a good opening to conversations about our similarities and differences no matter where we li
Kate
Perfect for pre-K and Kindergarten and emergent readers.

I love everything about this book except for the fact that the families shown are all two-heterosexual-parent families with 2-3 kids. Celebrating all the different types of nuclear families that exist in the world is not the point of the book, but it misses a real opportunity to at least show that multiple generations living under the same roof is common in many parts of the world.
paula
I have spent years recommending What the World Eats and Material World to families for their irresistible peek into the everyday lives of families around the world. This spectacular picture book offers the same engrossing level of detail, but with an illustrator's eye. So good. Put one in every classroom.

GIANT IRRESISTIBLE BONUS: photographs of all of the REAL families profiled in the book at the back. Seeing is believing.
Allison
Jun 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s
Really cool book. I could see kids spending hours poring over the details. I love that the author included photos of the real families in the back. I didn't love that all the families were structured so similarly - 2 parent households with a mom, dad, and kids. A missed opportunity to include different types of families in an otherwise diverse book.
Gary Anderson
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
At first I thought This Is How We Do It was going to be a little too busy and confusing. Silly me. It comes together smoothly as author Matt Lamothe charmingly shows how kids from Italy, Japan, Peru, Uganda, Russia, India, and Iran do pretty much the same things American kids do, although some of the details are different. Each activity—breakfast, going to school, playing, etc.—is shown in action from other the countries, with a space on the page for American kids to reflect on their own version ...more
Aliza Werner
I loved pouring over the illustrations of this book and learning about cultures all over the world through the eyes of children. My one criticism is that every family represented includes both a mother and a father. I would have liked to see some diversity in the make up of each family, including a family with a single parent, a same-sex couple, an only child, or multigenerational families. That was a huge missed opportunity.
Katie Dicesare
Jun 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book will have my kids captivated and asking lots of questions. I read it with a hopefulness that it was based on the lives of real children and families and I loved seeing the photographs depicting theses families at the end. Awesome look into how we are all the same but different.
Bethany
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, wndb
7 kids from around the world talk about who they are, where they live, what they eat, how they get to school, what they do at school, and what they do in their free time. The illustrations have so much for kids to pore over, and the text succinctly describes their daily lives.

While reading, I wondered how the authors chose these kinds of lives to write about. How much is typical? How much is stereotypical? Why choose these particular types of homes and lives? And then, right at the end, the answ
Michele Knott
A book that celebrates our differences and shares our similarities!
Rachel Watkins
Mar 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Matt Lamothe’s THIS IS HOW WE DO IT is my new favorite picture book. Lamothe takes us through a day in the life of 7 children in 7 different countries examining details like what they wear to school, what they eat, and where they sleep. Use this book to highlight similarities and differences between cultures as well as launching discussions about human beings as citizens of planet Earth.
Erin Buhr
May 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Follow seven kids from around the world through their day in this beautiful and diverse book. It features; Ribaldo from Peru, Romeo from Italy, Oleg from Russia, Daphine from Uganda, Kian from Iran, Ananya from India and Kei from Japan. From where they live and what they were to school to how they spell their name (my favorite page) and where they go to bed this story is simple but magical. It perfectly illustrates the fascinating differences of life around the world, but also the interesting wa ...more
Sandy Brehl
Compare Mirror (by Jeannie Baker) and this very recent release by author/illustrator Matt Lamothe, THIS IS HOW WE DO IT. Rather than explore only two families and cultures, Lamothe selects seven families from around the world to portray and label the intricacies of similarities and differences through the course of a day-in-the-life in various cultures.
He doesn't attempt to weave a storyline throughout their lives. In fact, he chose to shift the positioning of each character/culture instead of
Nadine
Jan 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a great book and it's beautifully illustrated and it fits in perfectly with many units of inquiry and the whole global thing. The author is at pains to say that they are 7 families and are not representative of everyone in that country. However I did feel that it would have been nice to have at least one of the families not to be a nuclear family but to show the way that many families around the world are multi-generational. I was surprised to see that both the Italian and Indian family ...more
Karen
Sep 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I love so many aspects of this beautiful book. It’s a window into seven real children’s lives: Romeo (Italy), Kei (Japan), Daphine (Uganda), Oleg (Russia), Ananya (India), Ribaldo (Peru), and Kian (Iran). In the realistic illustrations we see where they live and go to school, their family composition, what food they eat, how they play, help, and spell their name, and more. It’s fascinating to see the differences and what we all have in common.
Earl
Nov 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'm pretty sure I read this and reviewed it so I don't know why it wasn't rated on Goodreads and mentioned on my blog.

A great book for young readers to glimpse how other kids in other countries live their lives and how they go about it. And, in the differences, they also see the similarities.

I enjoy pairing this with Chloe Perkin's Living In series.
Barbara
Aug 16, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A wonderful and informative peak into the lives of seven children from around the world. Transportation, schooling, home life, family members and food are all discussed in a charming and accessible way. A real treat is to see photographs of the children and their families at the end of the book. What a terrific way to expose children to other cultures.
Nathan
Jun 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great illustrated book showcasing the lives of children in 7 different countries. My kids enjoyed learning, comparing and finding similarities with their own lives.
Heather
Jan 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017-nerdies
Love the illustrations-take your time to explore them to learn so many similarities and differences between cultures.
Jennifer Mangler
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This is the kind of book you need to read more than once to fully absorb. It would be a great way to spark a discussion of cultural comparison. And I LOVE the last page of the story.
Yapha
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great comparative look at the families, schools, and home lives of seven children from around the world. Based on real families, and includes their photographs at the end, as well as a glossary of potentially unfamiliar words.
Victoria
Jul 31, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I don't usually read picture books, and if I do I don't add them to good reads. But this book was so fun and so interesting to read, I just had to add it, also so I wouldn't forget about it, cause that's what goodreads is good for.
H
Sep 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommend that parents read the glossary at the back first. Cute read, but do wish there was representation of families other than nuclear/heterosexual/2 or more kids.
Marcia
A terrific book that looks at the day in the live of seven kids from around the world. The illustrations are based on actual families, who we meet on the last page. A wonderful book, to show we are different, but alike in so, so many ways.
Vicki
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: kindergarten, picture
A great way show children how other children work, eat, play and go school.
Barbara
Many youngsters are interested in learning about the lives of other children their age who live in countries far away from their own. Thus, this book satisfies that curiosity by featuring seven different children from Japan, Peru, Iran, Russia, India, Italy, and Uganda. What makes the book extraordinarily appealing is the fact that these are real kids with real families and actual scenes from their lives being depicted in the text and digital illustrations. Ranging in age from seven to eleven, t ...more
Dena
May 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Beautifully illustrated and accessible book that demonstrates how children and their families all over the world "do" things, such as eating breakfast, getting to school, playing, etc. The clear message throughout is how much alike we all are.
Kate
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: k-3rd grade
Great look at similarities and differences of seven children's lives from around the world, from houses to school to foods to play. I loved that the author included photos of the real kids and their families at the end. The glossary is also helpful so you can learn what some foods, games, and other words mean without an interruption to the short text blocks for each child on each two-page spread. A map with end papers shows each child and their country.

As another reviewer noted, I am disappointe
Jamila
I enjoyed reading this book. It is beautiful and thought-provoking.

It is problematic that all of the children selected have the same parent structure: two, seemingly, cisgendered heterosexual adults. It would have been better to have at least one family with a different type of parenting structure. Diversity in family structure is important for children to understand and develop empathy around.
Claire
Jun 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
As an adult I loved this book, especially the beautiful illustrations and seeing the photographs of the real families depicted at the end. It was a bit crowded for younger readers, and as other reviewers have noted, only two-parent heterosexual families with siblings were depicted. Bonus points for not including a requisite "Western world" family...there's a lot more out there than the U.S.!
Amy
Jun 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the idea of this book and even though I have a few things I wish were different, this books is still a beginning "eye-opener" for young children. I do wish that there would have been at least one family with a single parent, blended family, etc., but the idea is great and a start, I guess.

Nonfiction Deals

$7.99 $1.99
    $27.99 $2.99
  • Waiter Rant: Thanks for the Tip-Confessions of a Cynical Waiter
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Dakota: A Spiritual Geography (Dakotas)
    $13.99 $1.99
    $10.74 $1.99
  • The Beauty Myth: How Images of Beauty Are Used Against Women
    $14.99 $2.99
    $18.99 $1.99
  • The God Particle: If the Universe Is the Answer, What Is the Question?
  • The Wright Brothers