Start by marking “Dove and Sword: A Novel of Joan of Arc” as Want to Read:
Dove and Sword: A Novel of Joan of Arc

Dove and Sword: A Novel of Joan of Arc

This is a story of the Hundred Years' War and its great heroine, Joan of Arc. When Joan sets out to lead an army against the British, her friend Gabrielle stays loyally by her side until the wrenching finish.
Published June 1st 1997 by Scholastic (first published 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Dove and Sword, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dove and Sword

Maren
Apr 27, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childhood-reads
I've lost count of how many times that I have read this book over the years. Growing up it was one of my absolute favorites which you can tell by looking at my well worn paperback copy.
Emily
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
This young adult novel is the tale of Gabrielle de Domremy who is a childhood friend of Joan of Arc. Gabrielle learns healing and midwifery from her mother, and follows Joan's army as a medic. She dresses as a boy, loves (chastely, of course) a soldier, and even follows Joan after she is captured and imprisoned until her death at the stake. Gabrielle is a courageous young woman, but a lover of peace and is the 'dove' to Joan's 'sword.'
As a person whose official education of history encompassed o
Dale
Jul 20, 2012 rated it liked it
I am always in a quest to find a sizable number of historical fiction titles to use in my class. I bought this book in the hope of adding it to my classroom collection, and I will do just that. However, I also was hoping to be able to enthusiastically recommend it, as I have been able to do for many other titles. That I cannot do.

I have no problem with the historical details of the book. Rather, I was unimpressed with the writing. It tended to drag and be a bit repetitive. Reluctant readers wil
Eric
May 07, 2009 rated it liked it
I found this historical fiction to be more "fiction" than "history", but it is still a good read and a fairly gentle introduction to Joan of Arc, and certainly an interesting peek into that period of history.

I think this is a pretty appropriate book for teenagers. There is no actual sex in the book, but the heroine talks euphemistically about an inner conflict of desiring sex/marriage with someone she loves with a desire to be chaste. Various topics of war, including rape and plunder, are also
Autumn
Jun 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Joan of Arc is one of my favorite historical figures and so I really loved this book!
Nataly Martinez
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This book introduced me to the wonderful world of historical fiction. At first it didn't quite draw my attention until I began to understand the characters further on. The author is able to convey Gabrielle's innocence and bravery throughout the book which made me want to keep reading. I was also introduced to Joan of Arc which I knew nothing about, but as a result of this book she is my favorite heroine.
Bonnie Lambourn
Sep 06, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Amazing fascinating!
A novel - using another female in disguise as a male as the main character to narrate her story - and written for middle grades /young adults.
I met the author years ago in Maine, and she did an incredible amount of research with first hand documents that nobody else had been given prior access to in France, and she retraced the battle routes. A rousing riveting read.
Kathy
Apr 18, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: ya
Compelling look at medieval life and one woman’s heroic life dedicated to God. It reminds me of another famous woman, Margery Kempe, whose desire to simply read the Bible is an act that could have her declared a heretic and killed.
Jim
Dec 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Was she mad? or was she chosen by "voices" to save her country? I have always felt that the story of the peasant girl Joan who led the French armies to victory was one of the most incredible stories of history. This Young Adult book by Nancy Garden brings the Middles Ages to life, its village life and the brutal warfare of the time. The story does not center on Joan, but on her friend, Gabrielle, who leaves her village to follow Joan. It seems to me that Ms. Garden has done some incredible rese ...more
Oct 21, 2018 rated it liked it
I found this story very interesting, especially as I only had the tiniest knowledge of the story of Joan of Arc. This book helped to fill in a lot of details for me, without reading like a textbook.
Adele
Jun 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: not-finished
Boring. Very predictable romantic side story and not enough St. Joan of Arc. Didn't finish it.
Shrek
Apr 03, 2019 rated it did not like it
this book god awful no cap😹get rid of the random french plz lol. battle scenes i had no idea what was going on. everything seemed so random and confusing and forgetful. did the author take a writing class i wanna know😹i would read entire chapters and have no idea what happened cuz it was too boring and confusing to remember. no engaging characters at all
Diane
Dec 24, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: historical
Gabrielle lives in the village of Domremy with her family. She assists her mother in midwifery and the art of healing. Her friends are mostly boys, such as Pierre, and they often played war as they grew up. One day, she and Pierre see Jeannette (his sister) talking to someone who isn't there and they know that she is either mad or very holy. Jeannette decides she must leave Domremy and lead the French forces against the English. Gabrielle and Isabella (Jeannette's mother) make a pilgrimage to se ...more
Annika
Nov 14, 2016 rated it liked it
I didn't like this book much in the beginning, but as I continued reading it I liked it a lot more. The story doesn't surround Joan, (Who is called Jeanne or Jeanette in the book) but her friend Gabrielle. I felt sad when Louis died. She thought that they would marry and have children, which she said herself was incredible, because she didn't want kids. Just because she was a midwife doesn't mean she wants kids.
But my favorite quote from the book is from pages 328 and 329:
"It was as if they h
Tiffany Lynn Kramer
Apr 01, 2014 rated it liked it
Despite loving fantasy and things set in the past I've always had a hard time getting into historical fiction. I don't know why but they always come across as forced to some degree and that ruins what enjoyment I might have otherwise found. Dove and Sword isn't bad. Since learning about her I've had a fascination with Joan of Arc and as a young girl at the time I appreciated the perspective but I wasn't blown away by anything either.
Nicole K
Jun 09, 2013 rated it liked it
It has been so long since a I read this book but I remember truly enjoying it and reading it more than once. I haven't ever really been into historical fiction but I found that this was a great book when I was in middle school and high school.
Megan
Story of Joan of Arc told by her village friend. I enjoyed the history but couldn't care much about Joan, and some of the story seemed farfetched (no idea if those parts were true or not).
Sammy
Nov 16, 2008 rated it it was amazing
i have read this book several times, and it still somehow gets me every time. this is definitely one of my all time historical fiction books.
Emily
Aug 26, 2011 rated it liked it
The Sword is Joan of Arc, waging war for France. The Dove is fictional Gabrielle, a follower of Joan's army, skilled as a healer of wounds.
Ceci Rodriguez
Nov 02, 2013 rated it did not like it
:( couldn't get past the first 10 pages.
Liana
This 'Novel of Joan of Arc' is not really about Joan at all, it's about 'Gabrielle de Domremy'. :P A little misleading, but oh well. It was a bit difficult to get into. :'(
Marisela Chavez
Sep 06, 2009 rated it liked it
same author as Annie on My Mind--fun and researched account of Joan of Arc told by a fictional friend of the saint. Quick and fun.
Heather
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book was interesting, but had themes I wouldn't want my teenager reading.
LaDawn
Oct 19, 2011 rated it liked it
It was a little too easy to put down. I think kids would never finish it because there wasn't enough action.
Teen Reviewers
Sex = none
Violence = rape and plunder mentioned
Angela
You'll love this ...: Sept 2012 - Dove and Sword 2 45 Sep 26, 2012 01:15PM

• The Pirate's Son
  • The King's Swift Rider: A Novel on Robert the Bruce
  • I Rode a Horse of Milk White Jade
  • The Rogues (Stuart Quartet, #4)
  • The Princess in the Tower (Beneath the Crown, #2)
  • There Will Be Wolves
  • The Convicts (Curse of the Jolly Stone, #1)
  • The Ramsay Scallop
  • Bloodline (Bloodline, #1)
  • Escape from Egypt
  • Kipling's Choice
  • Black Ice
  • Avaryan Rising  (Avaryan Rising, #1-3)
  • Constance: A Story of Early Plymouth
  • The Road to Damietta
  • Leonardo's Shadow: Or, My Astonishing Life as Leonardo Da Vinci's Servant
  • Devil on My Back (Arc One, #1)
  • Down the Yukon
A versatile writer, Nancy Garden has published books for children as well as for teens, nonfiction as well as fiction. But her novel Annie on My Mind, the story of two high school girls who fall in love with each other, has brought her more attention than she wanted when it was burned in front of the Kansas City School Board building in 1993 and banned from school library shelves in Olathe, Kansas ...more