Start by marking “Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)” as Want to Read:
Defy the Stars (Constellation, #1)

Defy the Stars (Constellation #1)

4.03  ·  Rating details ·  5,551 Ratings  ·  1,297 Reviews
She's a soldier - Noemi Vidal is willing to risk anything to protect her planet, Genesis, including her own life. To their enemies on Earth, she's a rebel.

He's a machine - Abandoned in space for years, utterly alone, Abel's advanced programming has begun to evolve. He wants only to protect his creator, and to be free. To the people of Genesis, he's an abomination.

Noemi and
Published April 4th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Defy the Stars, please sign up.
Lillian In this interview with the author, she stated there are two books planned but more could come from the world.
Ashley (BooksViaAshley) This is everything Empress of a Thousand Skies was not (I was disappointed by EofTS too). Defy the Stars is really a great book! I don't think you'll…moreThis is everything Empress of a Thousand Skies was not (I was disappointed by EofTS too). Defy the Stars is really a great book! I don't think you'll be disappointed!(less)

Melissa ♥ Dog/Wolf Lover ♥ Martin
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own, sci-fi
UPDATE: This awesome book is $2.99 on Kindle US today 8-17-17

Well I loved it and I'm glad I did because I'm tired of some of those pretty book covers pulling me in, but that is neither here nor there.

I love space books =) It's like my new thing that - uh - started last year. So, it's not THAT new but who cares.

In this book it would seem that Earth is a big ole arse hole. I mean they have set stuff loose on the galaxy and other things.

They are fighting with Genesis that is another planet that
Khurram
May 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
A great story from Claudia Grey, I saw on the front cover it said for fans of Divergent. As such a fan how did not like the ending or Carve the Mark, this is a space story in the divergent style done right. The book is told from 2 perspectives Noemi and Able. I like the was Grey differentiates between the perspectives and the character development is great.

I really prefer Greys style of story telling that the characters do not simply fall in love at first site each character has their moment to
Elise (TheBookishActress)
I know many of you may be ignoring this one because it looks like a typical scifi romance drama. Don't. Yes, there is a romantic element, but it's definitely not the whole book. The main characters have a very slow buildup to romance, and it never overtook the book. I'm not much of a romance fan myself, but this book was so much more than that. Give it a try even if you're worried.

This book is inevitably going to be compared to every sci-fi book published in the past five years. So here, I did
Simona Bartolotta
*I received this copy from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review*

“And as always, she wishes her most secret, most selfish wish:
If only I could explore it all.

•I obviously believe this book to be deliciously written, skilfully paced, blessed with two leads that are absolutely beyond compelling, but I also think I loved as unconditionally as I did because of past conditioning (I think there's a pun here), meaning: are you familiar with Isaac Asimov? If you're not, again, wh
C.G. Drews
Aug 31, 2016 rated it liked it
Sci-Fi and I generally get on as well as a blackhole eating a hole in your skull in space. Which is to say...not well. Which is to say ONE OF MY BIGGEST LIFE DISAPPOINTMENTS BECAUSE I WANT TO LOVE IT SO BAD. I just get 500% confused when people start bopping about the galaxy and starting wars with stars and existing on packaged protein bars. Like how can you even. I thought fresh cake was the only reason humankind still functions. But regardless -- I did enjoy the characters and the writing in D ...more
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
REVIEW TO COME TOMORROW

THE REVIEW IS POSTED NOW

My Opinion

I'm a fan of science fiction so when I saw this book in the bookstore, I immediately bought a copy because this book had been in my " want to read " list for over a month and I also loved the cover. but I'm a little bit disappointed in reading this book because I'm a slow reader so it always takes me 5 - 10 days to finish a book and I felt like I kind of wasted my time in reading this book. all those nights I spent reading this book was
Sana

I was here for Kady and Aidan and I got that.

Please read my wife's amazing review asap bc she sums up everything I felt perfectly.

ALSO:
"'We could practice if you want,' he smiles as he starts to expalin, 'Remember what i told you in Genesis? I'm programmed with a wide array of techniques for providing physical pleasure via every activity from kissing to the more arcane positions for sexual intercourse. Although I've never performed them before I'm confident I could do very skillfully.
Caitlin
"We were both looking for each other the whole time."

This is my most anticipated first book in the series release of 2017. I've been so excited to read this book ever since I found out about it in November last year. Getting an advanced copy of this book basically made my life and I don't think I've stopped screaming in excitement since I picked it up.

description

I'm complete trash for this author, and honestly she never disappoints. Let's be real, it would have taken a lot for me to give this book any le
 ⚔ Sh3lly - Cranky Crone of Rabid Hedgehogs and Fire Breathing Kittens ⚔
Update August 17, 2017: $2.99 on Us Amazon. This was really good and totally worth $3. :)

Just to clear things up, the robot does not look like a robot, but a young, attractive human. He's the most sophisticated artificial intelligence ever created. Made to evolve, dream, feel, intuit, and even bleed and cry. His name is Abel. His creator is Professor Burton Mansfield. His only purpose is to obey and serve his maker. Until he meets Noemi Vidal.

Noemi is of Chilean descent and lives on Genesis, th
Lola
I am not surprised about the fact that I could not stand this book, seeing that science fiction and I absolutely do not go hand in hand.

But then again, I read Empress of a Thousand Skies—a space adventure also—recently and that one was a pleasant surprise.

So what’s so wrong about this story that I was able to give it a one-star-rating and feel no remorse whatsoever?

Firstly, the writing style. From the very beginning, I couldn’t shake the feeling that there is something that is not quite right ab
Maggie
Apr 26, 2017 marked it as dnf
UPDATE: realized this was a br fail and i haven't touched the book ever since i put it on hold so im just marking it as a dnf

UPDATE: I HAVENT READ ANYTHING FROM THIS BOOK THIS BR FAILS ITS ON HOLD BC I LOWKEY WANNA FINISH IT BUT NOT NOW BYE

THIS IS NOW A BR WITH SOME FAVORITES:
the kind one, elise
the traitor who wants me to join the dark side
the rude bitch who gives me ugly reminders even when she knows i hate them

excited to read this with them! hopefully solomon doesn't ditch us and hopefully thi
Cait • A Page with a View
This was a hard one to rate because it reminded me of some books I truly love, like Illuminae, Empress of a Thousand Skies, and Starflight!

Abel is a prototype mech who's been abandoned for thirty years when Noemi finds him. His programming means he's now bound to protect her, so they set off together on space adventures. Abel's creator is trying to get him back and it's clear he was designed for a purpose since he's almost human. But Abel is attached to Noemi now and she realizes he's actually c
Feb 01, 2016 rated it liked it
A space opera involving robots, a girl willing to sacrifice her life for her planet, and an interstellar war that has been going on for 30 years.

Earth is the enemy. They've used up all their resources and have ruined their own planet through pollution among other things. Their solution is to colonize other planets. Genesis is very careful about not ruining their planet. They won't make anything new when something old still functions. Because of this..their environment is pristine. Earth
Brittney ~ Reverie and Ink

Hi hi hi just a reminder I'm doing a giveaway on my blog for this!! (Book/earcuff/earings as pictured below) Be sure to enter! One week left!
Here's a link!
Lia Bonnibel  (pidgey)
First of all I'd like to thank the apfelstrudel of my heart for this awesome buddy/dude read. See you in another 50 pages 🖤

"I've never been less lonely than I am now. With you."

ACTUAL RATINGS 3.5/5

{RTC ^_^}
Mogsy (MMOGC)
4 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/04/29/...

I first discovered and became a fan of Claudia Gray through her Star Wars novels. Having loved Lost Stars, I next went on to read and enjoy Bloodline, but even then I was aware that media tie-ins cannot give me the full measure of an author. And so I’d hoped to try one of her Young Adult books for quite some time now, which eventually led me to Defy the Stars.

The book first introduces readers to Noemi Vidal, a seventeen ye
Suzanne
Apr 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I need the sequel now! This series is pretty addicting already. The dialogue has a good share of funny dialogues between the characters, the characters are so likeable, and readers will love the connection that establishes between Abel and Noemi.

This was my first Claudia Gray book (I know, I know, shocker and hiding under a rock) but will NOT be my last. I have to get my hands on her other books sooner rather than later.
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
“Where there’s no free will, there’s no sin.”

I don't even know what to say: This book was such a pleasant surprise and I did not, at all, expect to love it as much as I did!
Defy the Stars is by far the best book yet written by Claudia Grey. (Also, this is the first time her book doesn't have a love-triangle. Yay!) This is the kind of science fiction I was waiting for. I loved the characters, the slow burn enemies-to-friends-to-lovers romance (which actually didn't appear through most of the
Cindy ✩☽ Savage Queen ♔
“Where there’s no free will, there’s no sin.”

This book is truly a wonderful piece of work. It makes one truly reflect on what it means to be human, to exist. It brings to the forefront the value of life, friendship, family and love. And it makes us question the rather backward notion that some lives are more worth saving.

“We are this world. Its next generation. If you’re not trying to save us, then what exactly are you trying to save?”

Because it is such a common notion in the world of pol
Jodi Meadows
Aug 21, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I ended up liking this a lot more than I was expecting. Outer space, hate to love romances, and questions about what it means to be human -- I'm into it.
i.
Jul 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Claudia Gray has written a beautiful novel about what means to be human and to have a soul. It may seem an ordinary sci-fi/romance YA novel but it's much more.

What makes this novel special, in my opinion, is the development of the characters, a human and a robot and their growth and evolution in the book. They question their beliefs and are able to make tough decisions.

Sci-fi fans will like the futuristic society described by the author and romance fans are bound to love the idea of a budding re
Nicole
Mar 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017, kickass-females, ya

RTC. Maybe.
Kaisu
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
S O M U C H L O V E F O R T H I S B O O K !

Although, if I'm being completely honest with myself, I guess I was kind of bound to fall in love with this book because my heart and soul literally squeal whenever I see the words space, planet or interstellar war. Add a beautiful, colourful cover and that's it, you've won me over. Publishers, you now know exactly what to put in your blurbs and how to design your covers. Don't thank me.

description

The characters in this book are incredible. Both Noemi and A
Ishmeen
Mar 22, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
Finally a good book to kill my slump!!!! Pumped for book two which just happens to release on my birthday yaaaas👏🏻 😊
(I received an advance copy of this book for free. Thanks to Bonnier Zaffre and NetGalley.)

“These are the ships of the enemy, the planet determined to conquer Genesis and take their lands and resources for its own forever: Earth.”

This was a YA sci-fi story, about a girl whose planet was being taken over by the people of Earth.

Noemi was quite a brave girl, and she wasn’t afraid to do what needed to be done for the greater good, even if it meant sacrificing her own life to save her planet.

The
Fables&Wren
Dec 06, 2016 rated it it was ok
WrensReads Review:

So I kind of thought this book was boring.

And it might have been the narrators. The gentlemen, bless his heart, who did Abel's voice talked like a robot since Able was a robot. When anyone else talked, it was normal and you could tell that he was great at narrating. But my word.. when you talk like a robot for half a book, my brains want to melt away from you.

When I look back at all the things that happened, I realize that the book probably could have been a solid four star, m
Stacee
Feb 06, 2018 rated it really liked it
I was super excited for this book when I requested it and somehow never got around to it. And then every time I would look at it, I wasn’t prepared to sit down with a 500+ page book.

I really liked Noemi and Abel. They’re so similar and yet so different and it was interesting to see how they learned about and from each other. There are loads of other characters, but the story is focused on these two. Although, I will say I need more Virginia.

Plot wise, it was so very dense. There are several pl
Fafa's Book Corner
Review posted on Fafa's Book Corner!

Beware spoilers ahead!

Trigger warning: War and death. Dystopian society.

Part of Defy the Stars was read during #rimpysreadsathon.

Defy the Stars was recommended to me by my dear GR friend Elise ! Click on her name to read her review. When I heard that Claudia Gray was releasing a new book I didn't particularly care. I've never read any of her books nor did I care too. Then I came across Elise's review and was instantly captivated! Listening to the audiobook
leni
Oct 30, 2017 rated it really liked it

holy baby jesus on a stick. full review to come once i get my feelings under control again.

a big thank you to my flour babe for dude reading this one with me!
☙ percy ❧
"Even ordinary things gain great power when we have been without them for too long."

first book i cried legit tears over since Heir of Fire. anyone who thinks YA is shallow and superficial need to read this book because honestly... it was absolutely incredible.

i had one singular criticism of this book, and that was the ending. however, i have since discovered it is a duology (i did not notice before, on account of the fact that i am an idiot). my criticism of the ending was based on the assumpt
  • Empress of a Thousand Skies (Empress of a Thousand Skies, #1)
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
  • Unearthed (Unearthed, #1)
  • Pitch Dark
  • Shimmer and Burn (Shimmer and Burn, #1)
  • Before She Ignites (Fallen Isles, #1)
  • Even the Darkest Stars (Even the Darkest Stars #1)
  • Heart of Thorns (Heart of Thorns, #1)
  • Reign the Earth (The Elementae, #1)
  • These Rebel Waves (Stream Raiders, #1)
  • untitled (Andromeda Cycle, #1)
  • Given to the Sea (Given Duet, #1)
  • Shadow Run (Kaitan Chronicles, #1)
  • Beast: A Tale of Love and Revenge
  • The Evaporation of Sofi Snow (The Evaporation of Sofi Snow, #1)
  • Wicked Like a Wildfire (Hibiscus Daughter, #1)
  • Untitled (Stolen Crowns, #1)
  • Long May She Reign
Claudia Gray is not my real name. I didn't choose a pseudonym because my real name is unpleasant (it isn't), because I'd always dreamed of calling myself this (I haven't) or even because I'm hiding from the remnants of that international diamond-smuggling cartel I smashed in 2003 (Interpol has taken care of them). In short, I took a pseudonym for no real reason whatsoever. Sometimes this is actual ...more
More about Claudia Gray

Constellation (3 books)
  • Defy the Worlds (Constellation, #2)
  • Untitled (Constellation, #3)

Fantasy & Science Fiction Deals

• Bright Smoke, Cold Fire (Bright Smoke, Cold Fire, #1)
  • The Gold-Son
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Trail of Dead (Scarlett Bernard, #2)
  • The Regulars
  • Childhood's End
  • The Mirror
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Nyxia (The Nyxia Triad, #1)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • The Voyage to Magical North (The Accidental Pirates)
    $5.67 $2.99
  • Raven's Peak (World on Fire, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Swords and Deviltry (Lankhmar, 1)
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Rebel Wing (Rebel Wing #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Snow Like Ashes (Snow Like Ashes, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Garden of Stones (Echoes of Empire, #1)
  • Dracula [Kindle in Motion]
    $1.99 $0.99
  • The Autumn Republic (Powder Mage #3)
  • The Thickety: A Path Begins
    $6.24 $1.99
  • Stinger
  • Lost Voices
    $5.99 $2.99
  • The Blade Itself (The First Law, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Extracted (Extracted Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • This Savage Song (Monsters of Verity, #1)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Haven (Rain Wild Chronicles, #2)
  • Isle of Blood and Stone
  • Spirit Hunters
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Haven (War of the Princes, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus (Cirque des Immortels, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Brilliance (Brilliance Saga, #1)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Act Two (Cirque des Immortels, #2)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • A Better World (Brilliance Saga, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Written in Fire (Brilliance Saga, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Immortal Circus: Final Act (Cirque des Immortels, #3)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Secret of the Sirens (The Companions Quartet, #1)
  • The Siren
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Dorothy Must Die (Dorothy Must Die #1)
  • Ocean of Storms
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Sword of Shannara Trilogy (Shannara, #1-3)
    $19.99 $2.99
  • Artful
  • Till We Have Faces: A Myth Retold
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Beautiful Darkness (Caster Chronicles, #2)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Chains of Command (Frontlines, #4)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Angles of Attack (Frontlines, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Lines of Departure (Frontlines, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Now I Rise (The Conqueror's Saga #2)
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Into the Dim
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Terms of Enlistment (Frontlines #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Altered Carbon (Takeshi Kovacs, #1)
    $11.99 $2.99
  • Perdido Street Station (New Crobuzon, #1)
  • Kull: Exile of Atlantis
    $8.99 $2.99
  • Fury (Blur Trilogy #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Oryx and Crake (MaddAddam, #1)
  • Gears of War  Aspho Fields
  • City
    $7.99 $1.99
  • You Suck (A Love Story, #2)
  • The Chocolate Touch
  • Storm (Elemental, #1)
    $6.99 $1.99
  • A Perfect Blood (The Hollows, #10)
  • Mama Day
    $17.99 $1.99
  • Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Imitation (Clone Chronicles #1)
  • Infinite
    $5.99 $2.49
  • Boundary Lines (Boundary Magic, #2)
  • The Mermaid's Sister
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Space Between Heartbeats (Betwixt #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Boundary Crossed (Boundary Magic, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Boundary Born (Boundary Magic, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Warded Man (Demon Cycle, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Kissed by Darkness (Sunwalker Saga, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Dragon Marked (Supernatural Prison, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Blood Kissed (Lizzie Grace, #1)
    $3.99 $1.49
  • A Glimmer of Hope (The Avalon Chronicles #1)
  • Celia and the Fairies
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Best Served Cold (First Law World, #4)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Valor (The Faithful and the Fallen, #2)
  • The Last One
  • Genesis
    $11.99 $1.99
  • To Honor You Call Us (Man of War, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Hunter's Trail (Scarlett Bernard, #3)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Abyss Beyond Dreams (Commonwealth: Chronicle of the Fallers, #1)
  • Wool: The Graphic Novel
    $7.99 $2.99
  • And I Darken (The Conqueror's Saga, #1)
  • Ticker
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Barsk: The Elephants' Graveyard (Barsk, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dead Spots (Scarlett Bernard #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Concealed (Lakewood, #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
“The opposite of faith isn’t doubt. The opposite of faith is certainty.” 23 likes
“Where there’s no free will, there’s no sin.” 14 likes