Start by marking “Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World” as Want to Read:
Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World

Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life...And Maybe the World

3.96  ·  Rating details ·  39,012 ratings  ·  3,002 reviews
Listening Length: 1 hour and 53 minutes

If you want to change the world, start off by making your bed.

On May 17, 2014, Admiral William H. McRaven addressed the graduating class of the University of Texas at Austin on their Commencement day. Taking inspiration from the university's slogan, "What starts here changes the world," he shared the ten principles he learned during N
Audiobook, 2 pages
Published April 4th 2017 by Grand Central Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Make Your Bed, please sign up.
Evan Kristiansen It took me about an hour and a half. It's only 90 ish pages long, and about 10 of those pages are whitespace between chapters. It's also written very…moreIt took me about an hour and a half. It's only 90 ish pages long, and about 10 of those pages are whitespace between chapters. It's also written very simply, so you can just barrel through it. (less)

·  39,012 ratings  ·  3,002 reviews

Judith
Jul 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Don't get me wrong, the author is an American hero and he deserves to make a buck with his advice and anecdotes, all wrapped up in time for graduation gift giving. I don't doubt for a second that this advice is good for anyone who anticipates a military career. You should learn how to make your bed with military precision, and you should appreciate teamwork, get over yourself and accept that life is not fair, and never give up, etc.,etc.

The obvious problem with this type of one-size-fits-all ad
Sheri
Jun 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017, self-help
Fast, fun and motivational read filled with life lessons. Written in a friendly conversational style, the practical advice can be applied by anyone. Highly recommended!
Kenny
Aug 18, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: transformational
bed

Starjustin
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: motivational
5 well earned stars for this motivational story of Admiral William H. McRavens journey to becoming a navy seal. This book was written and narrated in 2017 by the Admiral himself. The book also includes his famous commencement speech, which took place on May 21st, 2014, for the graduating class of the University of Texas at Austin.
Admiral McRaven speaks of 10 steps to follow "if you want to change your life or maybe the world."
I won't list the steps here however, I will say that I was very 'taken
Mildred
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Straight talk from a former Navy SEAL

There are many "self-help" books on the market that contain solid information. However, General McRaven's Make Your Bed comes across as refreshingly different from those books by well known self-help gurus like Dr. Phil or Tony Robbins mainly because the anecdotes he uses to illustrate his ten key points are gleaned from his experiences as a Navy SEAL. I read this little book in one sitting and plan to buy copies for my children. In a nutshell, McRaven says t
Victoria
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Simple things change a life.

While the rules are simple, the more critical among us say too simple, listening to the captivating stories Admiral McRaven shares, anecdotes from his Navy SEAL training, should leave you in awe. He shares the fundamental life lessons he acquired through harrowing circumstances that are simple truths which anyone can apply to face the challenges of life. And don’t we all make life way more complicated than it already is?

McRaven spent 37 years as a Navy SEAL, became
Cheese
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
This is very Team America in parts with some mixed blessings.

He means well, but saying at the start "God bless all the american citizens who died in 9/11", but erm what about all the other people who died who weren't american citizens ay?

Make your bed dammit!
Lisa
Feb 18, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018, audible
MAKE YOUR BED is a thoughtful meditation of an American hero’s collective experiences.

SUMMARYOn May 17, 2014, Admiral William H. McRaven addressed the graduating class of the University of Texas at Austin on their commencement day taking inspiration from the University slogan “what starts here changes the world,” He shared ten principles he learned during his Navy seal training that helped him overcome challenges not only in his training and long naval career but also throughout his life.

“If yo
7jane
Sep 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to 7jane by: Kenny
(I use this kindle cover, because the hardback doesn't have the picture, which is the same as this.)

This book is made out of the speech the author gave in 2014 - 10 principles learned during Navy SEAL training. The principles are given as help to overcome challenges in training, career, and life, useful for all to change themselves and the world for the better.

Each principle (including the one found in the book title) is followed by real-life Navy SEAL training story example and how each can be
Cody
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Remember...start each day with a task completed. Find someone to help you through life. Respect everyone. Know that life is fair and you will fail often. But if you take some risks, step up when times are toughest, face down bullies, lift up the downtrodden, and never, ever, give up - if you do these things, then you can change your life for the better...and maybe the world!" (103-104)

It was in an op-ed written in the Washington Post that introduced a man to the forefront of attention, who, thr
Bianca
Jul 14, 2019 rated it it was ok
I don't know why I requested this book, I thought maybe it'll inspire me to make my bed or inspire me to accomplish stuff.

I should have checked the blurb and the author. Thank goodness it was a very short book. The author is an admiral, former SEAL, etc - I would like to say that these accolades impress me, but that would be a lie. After reading the preface, I remembered seeing his commencement speech given at some American university. While it makes sense to make your bed if anything to start y
Judy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
One of those "inspirational" or self-help books that come out from time to time. I heard the author interviewed, and wanted to read his book. It's a quick read. Each chapter has advise for life, starting out with: "Make your bed." Because when you start out accomplishing something at the start of every day, you are more likely to do more. I had to get the book back to the library or I would have made a succinct list, but other are: "Embrace your failures, because every life has them." "Life isn' ...more
Truman32
Admiral William H. McRaven’s book, Make Your Bed- Little Things That Can Change Your Life… And Maybe The World is another one of those really small self-help books that you can stack on a really small shelf, maybe in your really small tiny-house right between Maria Shriver’s Just Who Will You Be? And Randy Pausch’s The Last Lecture.

The retired Admiral’s book of levelheaded insights was originally a commencement speech to the graduating class of the University of Texas in 2014. These common sens
Wesley
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
My Rating: 4 Sugar cookies
Great motivational essay by retired Admiral and Navy SEAL William McRaven.
I recommend the audio version that is read by the author, but the book is fine if you prefer the written word. Several life lessons and principals of how to live your life.
Mehrsa
Feb 01, 2018 rated it liked it
Sure. It's good advice if you want to be SEAL or if you're just graduating college. But there isn't really nuance. Make your bed. Saddam Hussein didn't. Never quit. Really?
Deanna
Make Your Bed is an incredible gem packaged tightly into a small book that lends itself well to an easy and quick read. This book offers tidbits that are simplistic yet powerful. Each chapter highlights a little thing that can make great change in one’s life which then can change the world.

The statement “change the world” may seem pompous and easily blown off as unrealistic, but really, each of us do indeed make decisions on a daily basis that can affect others. The question is do we want to ma
David
Apr 29, 2017 rated it really liked it
4.25 This book will be perfect for so many students and particularly reluctant readers who need inspiration :) Personally I wish it had a little more meat to it, but it had some great advice and I am sure I will refer back to it again.
Rowan
Sep 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If you haven’t already seen Admiral William McRaven’s 2014 speech to the graduating class of the University of Texas – check it out. It definitely had a profoundly positive effect on me when I first saw it. I wish I had received a speech like that when I graduated! But luckily now, we have a book by this man instead!

Make Your Bed is a small-sized book that is big in heart. It’s a quick read, yet an inspirational one too. I kept imagining McRaven narrating the book to me like in his University of
C. Hollis Crossman
Jun 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I mean, it's good encouragement. Admiral McRaven (awesome name) boils down ten character items he learned in Navy SEAL training, and applies them to everyday life for the uniformed and un-uniformed alike. He tells stories about his experiences in training and as an active-duty SEAL and an officer to illustrate how these character traits served him during a distinguished career. One story in particular is almost make-you-stop-reading the book horrific (it involves a torn pelvis), but it makes the ...more
Shiloah
This book was inspirational on many levels. Every page contains wisdom and inspiration. Powerful. This is one I’ll be reading again.
Abbie
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 5-star, nonfiction
THIS BOOK IS AMAZING AND WILL MAKE YOU WANT TO GO CHANGE THE WORLD!!!
Mike
May 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: src18spr
I had read portions of Admiral McRaven's University of Texas Commencement speech on the internet, and had known a handful of SEALs in my life. This is a great little collections of life lessons learned learning and doing one of the most amazing training in the world.
Started on audio in the dentist's chair yesterday, finished in hardcover today, as I couldn't put it down. (Not to mention, it counts as work-reading).

Worst-case SRC Spring 2018: Task 5.3 (all letters in BAD ART). Might fit non-ficti
Siqahiqa
Dec 27, 2018 rated it liked it
Randomly picked this book yesterday and I finished read in one sitting. 10 motivational stories with related life lessons that the author learned in Navy SEAL training. I like the life lessons, only not so much for the story.
Kimball
Back in 2014 William gave his famous talk at UT in Austin (which is in this book). I had read the transcript and really enjoyed it. In fact, this part here was what inspired me:

If you make your bed every morning you will have accomplished the first task of the day. It will give you a small sense of pride, and it will encourage you to do another task and another and another. By the end of the day, that one task completed will have turned into many tasks completed. Making your bed will also reinfo
Jun 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
This was one of those books that (if you have read the blurb) is exactly what you expect it to be. The book is based on a speech that Admiral McRaven made for the graduating class at The University of Texas at Austin in 2014. The speech is included at the end of the book, which I initially thought was kind of redundant, but it is actually way shorter and less detailed than I anticipated after having read the book - which is like a fleshed out, in depth version.

The book is structured as 10 things
Ryan Lackey
Feb 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a short, well presented set of standard life advice, but it is a great example of why some advice is always repeated — because it is correct and largely optimal. McRaven uses examples from his military career, and frequently from SEAL BUD/S training, to illustrate otherwise generic advice. I’m not sure if I prefer the “long” 90 minute version presented in the book or the delivered 14 minute commencement speech which was the inspiration for the book (and included in the book).

Audiobook re
Susan
Feb 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018
great points. Interesting that the Admiral believes that starting with something -- like making your bed -- helps propel you thru the day into doing other tasks until you can bite off something big and meaningful. I think he is onto something here.
John of Canada
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I got this after seeing Admiral McRaven interviewed.After reading it I viewed his commencement speech at The U of Texas,and several other videos and stories.Fabulous man,smart encouraging book.
Zhong En
Apr 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
“sometimes the simple act of making your bed can give you the lift you need to start your day and provide you the satisfaction to end it right.”

A short read, packs with ideas and life lessons
Christina/ The Blog for Teachers, Readers, & Life!
Make Your Bed: Little Things That Can Change Your Life…And Maybe the World
By: Admiral William H. McRaven (U.S. Navy Retired)
Publisher: Grand Central Publishing
Date: April 2017
Nonfiction, Life Skills, Inspirational, Navy

Plus(es): Admiral McRaven (Retired) Gives concrete examples of life skills lessons, Short chapters move the book along at a good pace, Great reading for High School Students and reluctant readers

Make Your Bed: Little Things that can Change Your Life … and Maybe the World clearly
Creme de la Creme: Make Your Bed/ Tiende Tu Cama 1 3 Mar 15, 2019 05:58PM
Make Your Bed - Book Post 3 54 Oct 20, 2018 01:18AM

• When Fish Fly: Lessons for Creating a Vital and Energized Workplace from the World Famous Pike Place Fish Market
  • 20,000 Days and Counting: The Crash Course For Mastering Your Life Right Now
  • Rowing the Atlantic: Lessons Learned on the Open Ocean
  • The Uses of Adversity
  • Weakness Is Not Sin: The Liberating Distinction That Awakens Our Strengths
  • Living with a SEAL: 31 Days Training with the Toughest Man on the Planet
  • Succeeding When You're Supposed to Fail: The 6 Enduring Principles of High Achievement
  • The Leader's Bookshelf
  • Attitude 101: What Every Leader Needs to Know
  • The Responsibility of Intellectuals
  • Talking with God: Divine Conversations That Transform Daily Life
  • Money Management Skills
Admiral William H. McRaven (U.S. Navy Retired) served with great distinction in the Navy. In his thirty-seven years as a Navy SEAL, he commanded at every level. As a Four-Star Admiral, his final assignment was as Commander of all U.S. Special Operations Forces. He is now Chancellor of the University of Texas System.
“It is easy to blame your lot in life on some outside force, to stop trying because you believe fate is against you. It is easy to think that where you were raised, how your parents treated you, or what school you went to is all that determines your future. Nothing could be further from the truth. The common people and the great men and women are all defined by how they deal with life’s unfairness: Helen Keller, Nelson Mandela, Stephen Hawking, Malala Yousafzai, and—Moki Martin. Sometimes no matter how hard you try, no matter how good you are, you still end up as a sugar cookie. Don’t complain. Don’t blame it on your misfortune. Stand tall, look to the future, and drive on!” 32 likes
“None of us are immune from life’s tragic moments. Like the small rubber boat we had in basic SEAL training, it takes a team of good people to get you to your destination in life. You cannot paddle the boat alone. Find someone to share your life with. Make as many friends as possible, and never forget that your success depends on others.” 18 likes