Start by marking “Zodiac” as Want to Read:
Zodiac

Zodiac

A starting new thriller with one of the most original concepts in years, where the line between a life of luxury and an existence of poverty can be determined by the stroke of midnight.

In San Celeste, a series of uniquely brutal murders targets victims from totally different walks of life. In a society divided according to Zodiac signs, those differences are cast at birth
Published February 7th 2017 by Pegasus Books (first published 2016)

To ask other readers questions about Zodiac, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Zodiac

Linda Strong

The author has created a world that plagues society, much like what we experience here and now ... except people are judged not by their color, race, religion, nor even gender.... but by their birth signs, date and time of birth.

The 12 zodiac signs are representative of different neighborhoods, different schools, different job markets. Capricorns are the elite. Aries are at the bottom of the pack. This is where you will find the thugs, criminal elements. They are profiled, strip searched, and m
Liz Barnsley
Jun 22, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Zodiac is a clever and very intriguing book – the world Sam Wilson creates here is fascinating and allows for some allegorical social study and honestly, its a banging good thriller too. It works so well because the author presents this world as fact, doesnt over explain and by a couple of chapters in you would almost imagine this IS our world and you are reading a reality based crime story rather than what it is – a beautiful mix of speculative fiction and (sort of) serial killer thriller. That ...more
Abby Slater- Fairbrother
This is such a unique novel. One that I don’t think you can fully grasp from the description, but it simply demands to be read. It’s such an impressive concept, I felt completely in awe of the writing. I only hope I can do it justice with a review!
Set in San Celeste, a city divided not by gender, race or religion, but by zodiac sign. Aries are the cities underclass, the violent and uncontrollable. Aquarius, Sagittarius and Gemini are the professional and creative types etc. Each sign has their o
Joanna Park
Review can also be found at: https://overtherainbowbookblog.wordpr...
In Zodiac, Sam Wilson has created the most amazingly realistic and frightening world. It was scary to imagine a world were something like star signs could determine your whole life. Especially if you are an Aries, like me, so would be one of the criminal underclass in this world. The author does a great job in describing the world and the reader quickly gets immersed into it. I liked that the author had even created unique wor
Zuky the BookBum
Also find my review here: http://bookbum.weebly.com/book-review...

Firstly I'd like to thank Netgalley and Penguin UK - Michael Joseph for giving me the opportunity to read this book in an exchange for a review.

"How much worse would the world be if everyone was colour-coded? If people thought they could tell someone's essence at a glance, and discrimination became purely thoughtless? … Maybe people wouldn't spend so much time making sure they acted, sounded and thought the same as their neighbou
Feb 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites
I loved this book. It did start out a little off (writing) but it quickly found its groove. There was a natural flow to the book that grabbed your eyes from the beginning and held them hostage until the end. Incorporating zodiac signs as an integral part of the story could have gone either way, but it worked out beautifully. For a debut novel... I can't wait to see what Wilson writes next!
Ingstje
I really wanted to read this novel when I saw the stunning cover with that caption line. Those who know me won’t be surprised though if I tell that I really never read dystopian books. The first and last one I read was years ago and didn’t really appeal to me in the end. So it might be even more suprising if I say that I actually enjoyed Zodiac.

A lot of it of course is the merit of this really interesting concept of a society based on different signs and the idea that you can’t treat people of d
Matthew Gair
Mar 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was totally enthralled and entertained by this book and found it to be a very clever commentary on society as a whole. I would recommend this for anyone looking for a page turning thriller that will also get you thinking. I expect it's going to be a very divisive novel and would recommend going in with an open mind, definitely free up a few hours when you start because if you're like me you won't put it down!
Stargazer
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, astrology
I love astrological fiction and found this unique and fascinating. Not only a good plot with good characters, but accurate astrology in it, the guy obviously has studied astrology or done some very good research. i don't think you'd need to understand astrology but it's a bonus if you do. I just hope it's first of a series of many and that he writes them fast. Loved it.
Fall-Out-Book-Nerd
Sep 16, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
Yeah I really didn't like this book.

I think the only reason I managed to finish this book was the extremely short chapters which is probably the only good point I can make...
Bookread2day
A very clever crime thriller idea. A society divided by Zodiac signs. Status is cast at birth binding for ever. Fresh and different. A series of uniquely brutal murders target victims from totally different star signs.
Shaye
Feb 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Review originally posted at A Reading Brit.

I started this book out of boredom, to be honest with you. I’d been scrolling through Twitter all day, watched a couple episodes of Bones and wanted something else to do. Reading seemed like the obvious thing. This was one of the books I picked up from the library, and I’m hoping to return them on Tuesday, so I had to get a move on with reading them.

This book was different. In a good way. As I said, I was watching Bones earlier. I’ve watched NCIS, CSI,
Chava
Apr 24, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish this book. It was horrible.
Jez
Might change this later
Paula -
I got bored reading this. It just seemed to drag so bad. Which was a shame because it could have been really great if it was condensed.
Saoirse
I just couldn't take the incessant references to astrological charts, zodiac profiling and aries uprising one more time. Just fucking no.
Teresa in ohio
Mar 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2017-read
I grabbed this book because the title begins with Z and the cover art is the zodiac. This fits great for the ABC challenges. Sadly that is all that is great about this book. It is an orginial concept that your life, your children, your job is all determined by your zodiac sign. After reading for a while I couldn't help compare to how Hunger games were divided in units. The murder kept my interest but then we have a father searching for his daughter that has nothing to do with the orginial story. ...more
Zuné Pallister
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I feel like I need to thank Sam Wilson for this incredible book as it brought my love for reading back to life with a huge bang! I absolutely loved every page & by the end of the book I was wishing for more pages. To me it was just something totally unique & I would recommend it to anyone!
Berenike
The alignment of the cosmos at the time of his birth gave him particular qualities that other people lacked, and those qualities were what brought him his wealth and power, not his father’s money or the education it had afforded him, or the thousands of small opportunities he was given by a society that assumed that male Capricorns were the default humans and everyone else was somehow less.

3.5 ☆

This could be a typical murder mystery/crime thiller, except that it’s set in a weird alternative univ
Laura (b00k-witch)
Zodiac is a book due to be released 26th August and I was lucky to receive an advanced readers proof via Goodreads Giveaway for an unbiased review.

A crime/thriller novel, set in a world where class structure is determined by Zodiac signs, and you can be at the top of the hierarchy with the Capricorns or the lowest with the Aries and everyone else in between. You are judged by your behaviour and placed in a group in almost every social interaction.

At the start of the novel we jump around a litt
Elisa
Jan 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
What an inventive novel. I don't believe in horoscopes, but it must be possible for the stars and planets to influence our personalities. After all, they control the tides and we're mostly made of water. As random ways to segregate society go, our astrological sign can't be any different than the color of our skin our the class we belong to. This is the way San Celestia is organized and, as with any other form of discrimination, it's just a bomb waiting to go off. A series of murders apparently ...more
Daphne Sharpe
I initially thought the premise of this story sounded different enough to be interesting, but I was wrong, hence a rating of two stars. The story concerns a series of murders directed at victims from different walks of life. The only connection concerns the astrological sign of each person as society is governed by your zodiac sign, which affects your job, status, education of your children, where you are allowed to live and where some zodiac signs are prized above all others. Births are sometim ...more
Lorna
Apr 14, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A crime thriller set in a society divided according to astrological signs, Zodiac keeps you guessing as you follow Detective Burton's progress as he tries to solve murders with the help of an astrological consultant. I found this an exciting read, I loved the original concept of the signs being such an important and influential part of society. Towards the end I nearly neglected my children as I HAD to find out how all the pieces fitted together.
Alan
Jun 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: first-reads
I was so pleased to have been one of the lucky winners of this book in a Goodreads First Reads giveaway.

This was an excellent thriller, with plenty of twists and turns. I seldom write what a story is about for fear of spoiling for others, but I do recommend. It is not often that my daughter reads many of the books I have amongst my collection, but she did express a wish to read the Zodiac as soon as I had finished.
Michael Morris
Jun 18, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a clever crime thriller about a serial killer inhabiting a society organised along the lines of astrological signs. There's a fast-paced plot with interesting characters and fun twists and turns. A recommended read.
Matthew Brown
Apr 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I loved Zodiac.
I hoped for a fun thriller with an edge and I got that and more from this first time author.

It makes for a good holiday read and it would make a great film too.
Treesh
Sep 14, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
My bad, I thought this was about the Zodiac killer. It's not.
Amanda

So, astrology is fundamentally dumb. The idea that your personality is dictated but the time of year you're born/ celestial movements or whatever is utter bullshit. I cannot tolerate it and whenever someone unironically ascribes personality traits (their own or someone else's) to being a "typical Gemini" or whatever I feel actual physical torment.

It's dumb, is what I'm saying.

Did you know, in Japan they believe that your personality is dictated by your blood type? That you're either a Type A, B
Melike
I bought this book with a big excitement because it required astrology. At first I only read 30 pages of it and I quit. 6-7 months go by, I decide to seriously get into reading so I started reading this 3 days ago and now I am about to finish it with no interest at all.
If you are looking forward to read this book, read it while you are travelling for long hours. Be patient, story catches on at around page 100.
Now, at first I thought this would bash zodiac signs but as story went on, it started
Dale
Mar 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This makes “Hey, baby, what’s your sign?” take on a whole new meaning…

My thanks to my contacts at Pegasus Books, Iris Blasi, Katie McGuire, and Maia Larson, for my advance reading copy of this book! Rock on!

In this masterful novel, Sam Wilson explores the evils that plague society from a different viewpoint. In this world, race, sex, sexual preference, religion—do not matter. The world is still a divided mess, but this time it is under which astrological sign that one is born…

Nothing else seems
« previous 1 3 4 next »
South African Boo...: Zodiac (No Spoilers) 1 6 Jan 30, 2017 04:44AM
South African Boo...: Zodiac (Spoilers) 1 9 Jan 30, 2017 04:44AM

• Rag and Bone
  • Brand New Cherry Flavor: A Novel of the Occult
  • Where
  • Julius Katz Mysteries
  • London Broil (Wendy Darlin Tomb Raider #2)
  • Powers (The Bladesmith, #1)
  • All's Fair in Vanity's War (Deadly Fairy Tales, #2)
  • Furies
  • Eat, Fast, Slim: The Life-Changing Intermittent Fasting Diet for Amazing Weight Loss and Optimum Health
  • Death Angel
  • The Vengeful Dead (Jackie Rutledge #2)
  • Pegasi and Prefects (Scholars and Sorcery, #1)
  • The Last Dream Keeper (The Witches of Echo Park, #2)
  • The Fortress in Orion
  • The Nimble Man (The Menagerie, #1)
  • King Maker (Knights of Breton Court #1)
  • Mind Storm (Strykers Syndicate, #1)
  • Wolf's Empire: Gladiator
Sam Wilson is a writer and TV director working in Cape Town.