Start by marking “My friend Muriel” as Want to Read:
My friend Muriel

My friend Muriel

Janet Sandison made her bow in My Friends the Miss Boyds, Jane Duncan's sparkling first novel.

Here she is again, now a determined young woman of twenty with a University degree. Taking a job with a cranky Pen-Friend organization, she meets Muriel. Muriel is uncompromisingly plain, but clings like ivy.

As the lively narrative unfolds, Muriel's story and Janet's diverge and

Published August 2015 (first published 1959)

To ask other readers questions about My friend Muriel, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My friend Muriel

Cera
Sep 26, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I just reread this for the first time, and while it definitely suffers some first-novel [1] problems (especially towards the beginning) I still really enjoyed it. All of Duncan's 'My Friends' books are written in conversational first person by Janet Sandison [2], and they read as very funny fictionalised memoir [3]. I have no idea how much Duncan was like Sandison in real life, but Sandison is an immensely strong personality, highly opinionated about everything and delighted to share her opinion ...more
Cassandra
Jul 29, 2013 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: middlebrow
Such a strange book; it reads so much as true memoir, not just the first person narrator but the style of it, digressive and apologetic and smug and ashamed by turns. It creates a very strong illusion that one is in contact with a real person, rather than a book, and I admire the art of that. The story itself... interesting for the historical moment, I think, and because however much it is art, I cannot escape from the sense that I know a little of the inside of someone who was born in 1910, and ...more
Joy
Oct 17, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Newly graduated into the Great Depression job market, Janet drifts easily from employer to employer. She fetches up in an office with Muriel, who, for a non-entity, has an inordinately strong impact on Janet's life. What path, Janet muses in the first of many laugh-out-loud meditations, would her life have taken if she had not met Muriel? And all this time, Janet has been trying to help Muriel take control of her own life.
Susan
Oct 08, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
The first part of this book can be a bit hard going with too many asides from the main story. But once the story gets going it is an engrossing tale of how Janet meets Twice. As usual, there are many interesting, charming, and/or irritating characters that she meets along the way.
Alexis Lloyd
Aug 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love these books although they were written a long time ago! Jane Duncan a Scot, who lived in the Caribbean,for many years, wrote her books in the linen cupboard because her husband didn't approve. These are funny gentle books that lift your spirit. Duncan also writes as Janet Sandison.
Mary Ronan Drew
Nov 05, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The second of Jane Duncan's "My Friend ..." books. Quirky. Based on the life of Elizabeth Jane Cameron (aka Janet Sandison.) I'm on to the next book in the series.
Kate
Dec 06, 2014
Catherine  Mustread
May 31, 2018
« previous 1 3 next »
Jane Duncan was the pseudonym of Scottish writer Elizabeth Jane Cameron, best-known for her My Friends series of semi-autobiographical novels. She also wrote four novels under the name of her principal heroine Janet Sandison, and some children's books. She was born in Renton, West Dunbartonshire and brought up in the Scottish Lowlands where her father was a police officer, but much of her childhoo ...more