Start by marking “The Curse of the Blue Scarab” as Want to Read:
The Curse of the Blue Scarab

The Curse of the Blue Scarab

Who or what is responsible for the gruesome deaths of members of the secret society known as the Order of Osiris?

Dr. Armiston, an irascible, confirmed bachelor who believes in medicine not mysticism, is certain the deaths are only tragic accidents.

The members of the Order of Osiris suspect something more sinister is at work. They profess to believe an ancient curse has bee
Published December 9th 2016 by Josh Lanyon

To ask other readers questions about The Curse of the Blue Scarab, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Curse of the Blue Scarab

Ms. Smartarse
Short version: NO.

The slightly longer version:
Good for you for trying a new genre and writing style, but still no.

Shaking head in denial

And finally, the regular version:

I really like Josh Lanyon's writing style, and I'm also quite fond of mysteries featuring the curse of ancient Egyptian mummies. So in theory combining these two, should've made for an awesome experience.

Alas, a change in genre also brought with it a change in writing style... and that kind of sealed the fate of this book. In place of a story with few
Martin
Dec 20, 2016 rated it it was ok
I really regret giving my favorite author such a low rating.

I'm not sure if it was the unusual genre (and the 'Regency romance language' used here) or the plot, but this novel didn't satisfy me.

First of all (big spoiler): There was (view spoiler)

The plot, I frankly didn't fully understand.

Maundeville, a professor of Egyptology, brought a mummy case (with
Trio
Dec 08, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great story! Fast paced, clever dialogue and a mysterious mummy’s curse.

Dr. Quentin Armiston gets roped in to helping members of the Order of Osiris club after two of them are found dead. The deaths both occurred while the men had the mummy case in their possession. The more Armiston finds out about the whole affair the more intrigued he becomes, and he wants to prove there is no curse.

Armiston forms very interesting friendships throughout the book and the author really develops them. Cap
Ami
2.75 stars rounded up

A different 'read' coming from Josh Lanyon. This story takes place on the yesteryear (I think around 1910's?) and I felt that Lanyon adapted writing style of that era. I remember reading a lot of Agatha Christie's books with this style. I couldn't exactly explain it, I could only say that it felt "old" and made me feel detached with the characters throughout the story.

The mystery was good, though. I did guess the villain the exact time Quentin did. Which was why I thought th
Juli
Aug 02, 2019 rated it really liked it
I am a fan of literary mash-ups ever since I read Pride and Predjudice....and Zombies. When I saw this book by Josh Lanyon and realized it was a mashup of The Mummy by Riccardo Stephens....I just had to read it! I'm a HUGE fan of classic monster stories...and I haven't read anything by Josh Lanyon. A classic mashup....and discovering a new-to-me author! Woot!

Not only am I new to Josh Lanyon's writing....but this is the first time I've read a book with M/M romance. Lanyon has written more than 6
Donna
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, mystery, historical
I loved the mystery part. The romance wasn't that strong. There was no wooing, really. I'm okay with there being no sex scenes, but I would have loved seeing the two men spending more time together, especially since one of the two spent most of the book being sick. The story had some parts that were boring and felt dragging, if those moments had instead been spent having the two MCs getting to know each other (the knowing each other better parts were all off page and told, rather than shown), th ...more
Ije the Devourer of Books
Dec 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A secret society,

A series of untimely deaths,

An Egyptian mummy and a curse,

and an intrepid doctor who is determined to get to the bottom of things!

This is a good story but rather different to many of the other stories by this author. It is similar in style to Sherlock Holmes, or Agatha Christie and it has a frisson of Raiders of the Lost Ark!

And this shadowy mystery also involves a slow romance, hidden love and polite early 20th century society.

This is a kind of re-telling of the 1912 story 'The
Ulysses Dietz
Feb 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Curse of the Blue Scarab (A Monster Mash-Up)
By Josh Lanyon
By the author, 2016
Cover by K.B. Smith, artwork by Svetlana Rib
Four stars

I withheld one star from my rating for this book purely because, as Ms. Lanyon makes clear, this book is a mash-up along the lines of “Pride and Prejudice and Zombies.” I think she has done a brilliant job, but she has not done it entirely by herself. For inspiration, Lanyon took the fairly obscure 1912 mystery by Riccardo Stephens, “The Mummy” and used it as the
LenaRibka
It is a while already since I finished this book, and I have to admit, I’m still is in two minds about it.

Considering the writing quality and the fact how the style and language harmonized with that period and with a created historical atmosphere The Curse of the Blue Scarab is a nice piece of fiction.

However, judging by my personal enjoyment, I cannot give this book more than 3 stars, and I am generous here.

Had the author published it under another name, I would have never guessed that it came
KC
Dec 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: m-m, josh-lanyon
Loved it! The atmosphere, the mysteriousness and thrilling sense of adventure, the characters, and the humor permeating the story. And Bird. But perhaps most of all, i loved the poignant, emotional, breathtaking scenes between Armiston and Maxwell.
Melissa
A complementary copy was provided in exchange for an honest review.

I didn't find this exciting. This story is missing the usual JL snark and banter and clever comebacks. It does has a light dosing of those things but the wit isn't the same. The pace was too slow for me and I sadly found myself bored and skipping sections.

I give JL lots of props because this story looks like she did a lot of research to get the dialogue correct and the style of life and how the world worked at the time.

The tone o
Chris Apolant
Dec 11, 2016 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF @35%

I began reading this without realizing what a "mash-up" was, until, that is, I became suddenly struck with an odd sense of deja-vu. Undoubtedly, that is because I had read this before, under its original title, 'The Mummy' by Riccardo Stephens, from which title a slew of complete sentences have been purloined throughout this entire work. Call me backwards thinking, but plagiarism still holds true whether or not there are legal repercussions due to expired copyrights - stealing the work o
♣ Irish Smurfétté ♣
Review on Prism Book Alliance®

Everything about this novel felt reserved or restrained, held back. This worked regarding some aspects for the story and not so much in others.

One of the best things about this story is Armiston, arguably the main character since he’s one among many, who is comfortably inside the range of middle age. Well, comfortable in terms of the number but not so much in how he views himself when in the company of younger people. This is particularly true regarding Captain Maxw
Jax
Dec 15, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: historical, 3-star
This took me nearly a week to read, which is unusually slow for me. It's well written, as you'd expect from Lanyon, but the story just didn't interest me much and the romance is a very minor component of the tale. But if you're a fan of the period or the original The Mummy, you should enjoy this.
Jan
Dec 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Perfect. Josh has perfectly captured the spirit of the classic early 20th century mystery. The characters, language, mannerisms and manners of the period and the locations are fully drawn.
Wandering Reader
Another wonderful story from this author.

Dr. Quentin Armiston is a physician known best by his West End neighbors for his practical, stoic and unflappable nature. Attended to by his manservant and confidant, Bird, Dr. Armiston’s days are predictable and regimented until he is called in to consult on the unusual and premature death of an affluent young man. The circumstances of this death and, as they mystery deepens, additional deaths of other members of a secret society known as the Order of O
Erika
Jun 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Thanks to Netgalley for a complimentary copy in exchange for an honest review. This monster mash-up story was very entertaining. I enjoyed the mystery and at times expected the Mummy to be turning the corner.

The cast of characters were well fleshed out and I enjoyed all their different personalities and quirks. The mystery and main characters' relationship had a little of the Watson/Holmes vibe and I ate it up. The romance was cute too. I can see why this author is so popular.
Johanna
Dec 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I enjoyed the slow build up of this story — the pace felt very true to its era. I've never read a mash-up book before so I was curious to get my hands on this one. Well, it didn't disappoint! Lanyon's voice blends well with Riccardo Stephens' who wrote the original book that inspired Lanyon to write hers. In fact, I was hooked from the line "Drip. Hiss. Drip. Hiss." on the very first page. A sure sign of a Lanyon book: always making me committed and intrigued with the first lines of the story.

I
Lee Rey
Dec 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
*I voluntarily reviewed an advance copy of this book*
A great mystery of a mummy with a curse. Dr. Armiston is brought into give his expertise on a death that brings him to cross paths with many new people and one in particular named Maxwell. Throughout the story Armiston tries to solve if the deaths are paranormal or murders. He also grows close to Maxwell, who is dealing with a disease that Armiston offers to help cure. Armiston ends up playing a deadly game and begins being corrupted by the mu
Lala
2.5 stars.

I haven't read The Mummy, and I didn't realize that mash-up meant literally taking whole sentences from other books and creating a story with a slightly different plot. Guess this is why it didn't feel like reading a Lanyon story at all....I have read ALL of her books, and be it historical, contemporary or fantasy - Josh Lanyon has a unique, distinctive style of writing, and here I didn't feel more than a barest hint of it. This was a dragged out, boring affair, the writing was awkward
Anna
Josh Lanyon is my absolute favourite author, so to be giving one of her books 1 star is so unlike me. But I just didn't like anything in this book. I forced myself to finish it just because it was by Josh Lanyon, and because I kept a spark of hope until the end that something would make me like it even a little more. But no--I was just bored throughout the whole book. I guess even Josh Lanyon cannot make me love historicals.
Chris, the Dalek King
Well...that didn't get any better on the reread. On the other hand, it probably didn't get any worse either. Just stayed firmly planted on "rather boring book, with a bad ending."

I normally love this author's work, but here it just fell flat near the end. I just really hate the reasoning behind what ultimately happens.

I'd honestly say, skip it, unless you are a Josh Lanyon completest.

Nerea
Aug 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful mystery novel ♥ !!

I must say I havent read the original mummy book in which this book is based, but reading this as an independent book I totally love the mystery, the characters and the developement!

I have a huge rank of emotions reading this from sadness to a supperfluffly happiness. ALso can put it down these days until I finally knew the TRUTH!

About the relationship, It starts angsty, it gets on my nerves a bit until you start to know more about the characters and their r
Liz (Bugetta)
This was really good. It felt a bit like reading an Agatha Christie novel. This was definitely a mystery first and a romance second, which is often the case with JL's books but the mystery and all the players made for compelling reading. And I liked the romance too -- it was slow burn, like glacially slow, but I never felt annoyed by it because the rest of the story was so good. I would definitely read another mystery with Dr. Armiston, Captain Maxwell and Armiston's faithful servant, Bird. What ...more
Sahar
Nov 01, 2017 rated it liked it
It wasn't as good as I hoped it would. It was like a pale imitation of a sherlock holmes story.
Nonetheless, it was easy to read.
Lori
Mar 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2017
This was a gift from a Christmas elf - THANK YOU secret unicorn elf!

4.5

Thoroughly enjoyable and I want to read more like it.
Haldis
Dec 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
What a great mash up!
Jennifer Slusher
Dec 09, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Worth It!

The flowery language of the book is a little confusing at times. I had to re-read certain passages more than once but it's a good, suspenseful story.
Susana
May 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Finnegan
I was completely baffled by this book, as it is very unlike Josh Lanyon's other books (except the romance, that was on par with her other books, although the lack of heat left me frustrated!) and then I read in the notes it was a mash-up of a 1912 novel - The Mummy - with some of Josh's original writing thrown in - almost like Pride ans Prejudice and Zombies . Or when authors do fanfiction.

Whatever it was, it didn't work for me. The story was illogical, maudlin, depressing and not even a good m
« previous 1 3 4 next »
The Backlot Gay B...: Curse of the Blue Scarab, by Josh Lanyon 4 26 Jul 22, 2017 07:01AM

• Black Cat Ink (Bellingham Mysteries, #3)
  • The Psychic and the Sleuth
  • Lessons in Trust (Cambridge Fellows, #7)
  • Death by Misfortune (Bill Turner, #2)
  • Dead in the Desert (L.A. Paranormal, #3)
  • The Master of Seacliff
  • Eleventh Hour (The Carstairs Affairs, #1)
  • Rag and Bone (Henry Rios Mystery, #7)
  • The Affair of the Porcelain Dog (Ira Adler #1)
  • Three More Nick Nowak Mysteries (Boystown #2)
  • The Dead Past (Puddledown Mysteries, #1)
  • The Secret Casebook of Simon Feximal
  • The Amethyst Cat Caper (A Tea House Tale, #1)
  • Bitter Legacy (Bitter Legacy, #1)
  • Blessed Isle
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f