Start by marking “Bang” as Want to Read:
Bang

Bang

One shot ruined his life. Another one could end it.

Sebastian Cody did something horrible, something no one—not even Sebastian himself—can forgive. At the age of four, he accidentally shot and killed his infant sister with his father’s gun.

Now, ten years later, Sebastian has lived with the guilt and horror for his entire life. With his best friend away for the summer, Sebas
Published April 18th 2017 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers

To ask other readers questions about Bang, please sign up.
Sam Flynn I think that all the curse words were kept to a minimum, and that all the cursing was needed to show how gun violence was affected people in the book.

Start your review of Bang
Dec 27, 2016 rated it it was ok
This just didn't have the effect it should have on me. I didn't cry, I wasn't emotionally invested. I couldn't truly connect to the characters. I appreciated the diversity. The lessons throughout. I can even appreciate how important the subject matter is: gun violence, suicide, Islamophobia.

Sebastian as the narrator allows for a unique POV. He shot his four month old baby sister point blank with his father's gun when he was four years old. He doesn't remember doing it. It's ten years later and i
C.G. Drews
This was such a dark and emotional book. I just...it was GOOD but it was really brutal. It's about a boy who shoots his little baby sister when he's only 4 years old. And like just the ruin of that. It's a HUGE topic to unpack and I can only say I think the book did it absolutely excellently. It's heavy, but it has hope smudged in the corners.

+ So be ye prepared for heavy topics.
Sebastian doesn't remember killing his baby sister, but it's 10 years later and it just hangs over him like the blacke
Sabaa Tahir
May 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Grabbed this off my shelf at like 11 p.m. one night recently when I couldn't sleep and finished it in one sitting. Sobbed through last 30 pages or so. So yeah...it got me.
Carole (Carole's Random Life in Books)
This review can also be found at Carole's Random Life in Books.

What a powerful book this turned out to be! I am not someone who cries over books. I have done it before but it may happen only one time every couple of years. I almost couldn't figure out why the page was suddenly blurry but then I realized that my eyes were filled with tears which were making it hard to continue reading. This book melted my little heart of ice just a bit because it completely got to me. I am so glad that I had the
Tala
Consider me very, very impressed with the way BANG was written, the issues it addressed, and the messages it delivered.

In a word: impressive

To be completely honest, I went into Barry Lyga's newest novel with pretty high expectations. I mean, seriously. Look at that synopsis. Look at who the author is. Need I say more?

And yet? BANG surprised me with its thoughtfulness, it's masterfully handled themes, it well-developed, three-dimensional characters.

Allow me to paint you a picture:: BANG, hearin
Rida Imran
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: audio, read-2018
This book was powerful. It was gripping and dark. It wrecked me emotionally.

The book follows fourteen year old Sebastian. When Sebastian was four he did something terrible he shot his four month old baby sister accidently. He's been having to live with his horrible past and guilt for the last ten years. But he has a plan to end it all with a bullet. After all the gun started everything it should end too, he thinks. My heart aches for him and his family. He was just four, a four year old is not
Reading_ Tam_ Ishly
Sep 21, 2019 rated it it was ok
Here's the review (unbiased & personal view) :

A teen struggles with his past over an incident which ended up killing his 4 months old sister by accident when he was four years old.
The book describes about his day to day reflections and reactions & how he acts with others/just anything & everything based on this incident. Ultimately he overcomes/makes peace with it at the end of the book.
There was no plot or twist anywhere in the storyline. The language is simple but the lines are dull. So many
Sara (sarabara081)
Apr 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: alamw17
Wow. For such a short book the story really packed a punch of emotions and depth. Very well done with a topic as tragic as it is.

-------------

Boy, 4, Shoots, Kills Infant Sister

For ten years that headline plagued Sebastian. You see, he was that young boy who accidentally killed his sister all those years ago. Time may have passed and he had grown up but that moment in time will profoundly affect the rest of his life. A life he has decided needs to come to an end, and soon.

The subject matter for
Morris
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it
I really wanted to like “Bang”. It seems that I’m in the minority in not feeling it. Unfortunately, the book just did not resonate with me.

It isn’t that there is not good writing or that the characters aren’t well-developed. Both were good. The problem for me, I believe, is that so many issues were packed into one book that it didn’t have time to focus on any of them enough. Gun control, Islamophobia, mental illness of several types, and the income gap are a few of the things covered.

I can’t rec
Skip
May 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as his "I Hunt Killers" series, this book is about a family damaged by a four-year old boy accidentally shooting his four-month old sister to death. Sebastian Cody is now a teenager, but all he can think about is his guilt and suicide until a Muslim girl moves in at the end of the school year that doesn't know his personal history. They become fast friends, in part because his wealthy best friend goes off to camp. Meanwhile, Aneesa and Sebastian start a YouTube series featuring Sebas ...more
Caitlin Christensen
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
I wasn't really sure what to expect when I started reading this one, and it hit me like a punch to the gut basically on page one. Sebastian Cody accidentally killed his baby sister when he was four-years-old. He hasn’t been able to live with himself since. The accident tore apart his family and left him racked with guilt over something he can’t even remember. Because of his, he knows that one day (he’s not sure when) he’s going to end his own life. It’s the only way he knows how to atone for his ...more
Kelly
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Hours after finishing Bang, I'm still having trouble putting my thoughts into words. What I loved the most about Bang is that it examines a different type of gun violence I haven't seen in young adult fiction. Bang examines that aftermath of tragedy for Sebastian and his family in a way that is unflinching and real. It shows the complexity of reconciling something Sebastian did as a four year old with who he is know. Bang shows how Sebastian sees himself and how others see him, and how that's co ...more
Mississippi Library Commission
WARNING: Do not read Bang on an empty stomach. You will crave pizza. ALL the pizza. You have been warned.

Teens will fly through this hard-hitting book about guilt, loss, and redemption. Lyga manages to keep his book from wallowing in a pit of despair: there is redemption and friendship here that will leave you with that warm, fuzzy feeling deep inside.
Suzanne
Heartbreaking story. I know it's fiction but things like this actually happen. I've never liked guns. I think there are way too many of them in this country and the vast majority of them don't need to be in the hands of whom they are in. And I don't just mean criminals and gangsters. I especially hate hand guns. Shot one once in a gun range. It was one of the most terrifying and horrid experiences of my life. I would never do it again. I seriously don't understand Americans fascination with them ...more
Beagle Lover (Avid Reader)
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Child murders, suicide, guilt, hidden secrets
Recommended to Beagle Lover (Avid Reader) by: the author
Steven R. McEvoy
I read this book a few weeks ago. I picked up the eBook on the day of release and had finished it in a few days. But to be honest the book was such a shock, and had me thinking so much I waited to write my review after reflecting on the book a bit. I have read many of Lyga's books more than once, especially the Brookdale High books. There was just a brief reference in this book that made me go back and double check the name of the teacher from Boy Toy, not being sure if this book took place befo ...more
♥Booklish Reviews♥
Mar 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: physical-arc
First off, I want to say that I love books that put your mind in a compromising position. (The ones that make you question your morals, ect...)

Bang is emotionally gripping and will leave your gut in a tangle. The plot was masterful. The characters well-developed, which is to be expected given the author.
With everything going on right now (specifically, gun violence) this is a must read.

I felt so bad for Sebastian and his family. Literally, I was in tears over the littlest things. And not be
Erica Locke
This book emotionally destroyed me. So, excuse me for a moment while i process my thoughts...
....
....
This book is about a boy who shot and killed his 4 month old sister when he was 4 years of age. 10 years later, he still suffers from the loss and blames himself for what he did. All the while contemplating suicide, he meets and befriends the new girl in town, Aneesa and starts a pizza making show on YouTube. All seems to be going well until some asshole comments on his live stream
Praiz Sophyronja
Jan 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: memorable
I've read over a thousand books so I find it very odd when one manages to surprise me. Very impressive. There is a lot of pain and honesty in this beautiful story. Give it a chance.
Jesse Nicholas
Apr 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
reviewsBang by Barry Lyga
Published by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers on April 18th 2017
Genres: Young Adult, Contemporary
Pages: 304
Format: ARC
LINKS: Good Reads | Amazon | Indigo | Book Depository

Bang by Barry Lyga is a contemporary YA about a boy who shot and killed his baby sister by accident when he was just 4 years old. Now as a teenager, he still carries around the guilt of it all every time he looks at his broken parents, his friends and teachers, and even the new girl who moves into hi

Lekeisha The Booknerd
Apr 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-for-review
RTC!
PinkAmy loves books, cats and naps
Grade: B-

Sebastian is that kid, the kid who shot his baby sister ten years ago at age four. Everybody knows what he did, everyone except Aneesa, the new girl on his block. Sebastian had planned to commit suicide, until he he bonded with her. Once she discovers what he did, Sebastian is certain they'll no longer be friends, or more.

Barry Lyga has an almost poetic style of writing. Had the format been different, BANG could have been verse. For the most part, Sebastian's malaise-filled voi
Liam S.
Apr 08, 2020 rated it really liked it
This book was really good. A tragic story to be honest. In the book, the narrator and main character, Sebastian, shot and killed his infant sister at four years old. He deals with suicide throughout the book because he has nobody to talk to about it, not even his own mother. The book shows countless struggles, not just Sebastians.
Shane
Whoa! Never saw that ending coming!

This was a pretty good story. Too often I hear news about children accidentally shooting a sibling or adult and it makes me shake my head and wonder, how did they get their hands on the gun to begin with? Why wasn't the safety on? Why weren't these kids being watched? Where were the parents?" It's easy to place blame but at the end of the day, accidents happen and we just have to be more aware.

Sebastian has kept this guilt in his heart for 10 years. Understand
Amy
Apr 17, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: yalsa17
on my 13 Reasons Why readalike list

Do I get a splitter vote on this one?

I'd rank it highly if I'm reading for YALSA's Quick Picks list. The topicsis fresh, fast-paced, and relevant, and the uber-short chapters help this under-300 page book fly by.

I'd rank it less highly on treatment of sensitive topics (namely: suicidal ideation and Islamophobia) and for an ending that I don't think the story earned.
Maggie Carr
Apr 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-in-2018
"We need to quit pigeonholing ourselves."

As I continue working through an extensive list of teen books dealing with real life social issues, I expected to become numb to the eating disorders, rape, suicide, drug, racism, bullying... I was wrong. Each touches a part of my soul and makes me thankful for the few years that displace myself from teens today. I am grateful to have had less social media during school and pretend to live in my bubble. I am even more grateful for eye opening reads.
Megan
Jun 12, 2017 rated it really liked it
Definitely read this one at home, alone, and with a box of tissues so you can ugly cry.

Sara (A Gingerly Review)
I don't know what I missed in this story. I liked it, sure, but it didn't hit me as hard as it did everyone else based on reviews. I loved Lyga's other books so I was excited when I was able to borrow from the library. To me, this story felt a little scattered and odd. I wanted to like it more but I just couldn't. I'll write my review soon.

---

Full review on blog can be found here: https://agingerlyreview.wordpress.com...

After reading and loving Lyga’s other books, I had high expectations for his
Nicole M. Hewitt
Jul 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
This review and many more can be found on my blog: Feed Your Fiction Addiction

The concept of this book is incredibly heartbreaking, but I’ll confess that it didn’t really tug at my heartstrings the way I expected it to—at least not at first. Which isn’t to say that I didn’t like it, but for some reason I just wasn’t blown away or wrecked like I’d expect with this sort of book. The first three-quarters of the book were almost … cute. The possibility of budding romance between Sebastian and Aneesa
Feb 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This book is about Sebastian, and his guilt of killing his baby sister when he was just 4 years old. This actually had the perfect combination of having interesting characters and a great plot! I've read a lot of contemporary books, but this book suprised me!

The characters were very real and raw. You can feel that you actually know them, even the side characters. You don't only get a glimpse of what they're going through, especially Sebastian, but you'll feel as of you're actually there with the
Mock Printz 2021: June Selection: Bang 10 137 Aug 28, 2017 08:03AM

• The Pain Eater
  • Devils Within
  • Goodbye Days
  • Dreamland Burning
  • Kindness for Weakness
  • Allegedly
  • Monday's Not Coming
  • Who Killed Christopher Goodman?
  • We'll Fly Away
  • The 57 Bus: A True Story of Two Teenagers and the Crime That Changed Their Lives
  • The Revenge
  • After
  • Long Way Down
  • All in Pieces
  • All That I Can Fix
  • Dry
  • Far from the Tree
  • Internment
Barry Lyga is a recovering comic book geek. According to Kirkus, he's also a "YA rebel-author." Somehow, the two just don't seem to go together to him.

When he was a kid, everyone told him that comic books were garbage and would rot his brain, but he had the last laugh. Raised on a steady diet of comics, he worked in the comic book industry for ten years, but now writes full-time because, well, wou

News & Interviews

Summer reading season is in full swing, which means many of the year's biggest and best releases are coming out of the gates. And although your Ju...
“People can wonder and ponder and imagine all they want. But their curiosity does not entitle them to enter my world.” 5 likes
“Nice is the white bread of the English language adjective breadbox. It’s tasteless, bland, and forgettable.” 4 likes