Start by marking “Joan of Arc” as Want to Read:
Joan of Arc

Joan of Arc

3.74  ·  Rating details ·  92 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
A biography of the 15th-century peasant girl who led a French army to victory against the English, witnessed the crowning of King Charles VII, and was later burned at the stake for witchcraft.
Published August 9th 2005 by Knopf Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Joan of Arc, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Joan of Arc

Cynthia Egbert
May 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-and-read
This is a nice retelling of her life story and I even learned a new fact that I hadn't understood before. A great book to introduce kids and adults both to Saint Joan.
Kaylee
Nov 10, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2016-reads
This is a good short story of Joan of Arc
I really enjoyed it and can't wait to read more about her!
Ethan
Feb 04, 2018 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book has beautiful illustrations and tells a clear story of saintly heroism and villainy. However, it fails to address the subtleties of a very complicated story and presents the life of Joan without the complexities of real life.
Cherie
Feb 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Good for the entire library.
Amanda
Nov 17, 2016 rated it did not like it
dumb. thats all i have to say
Tra-Kay
Feb 20, 2017 rated it liked it
Although I don't believe in God, I appreciate the believer's tone of this picture book. I guess it could have ended in a comforting way without reference to Heaven and saints, but religion always has a special beauty.

I read it for Angela Barrett, whose illustrations are best in her Beauty and the Beast but still have their lovely moments here.
Louise (A Strong Belief in Wicker)
Mar 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: paris
I have a growing fascination with Joan of Arc, and find most books about her life really interesting, so I'm perhaps not very discerning. Each book of course is different in it's own way, and I learn new things. I was actually put off a bit by the cover of this one, as I don't really like the illustration, it seems drab and dull, although I guess it's the action that is commonly thought of for Joan. It is one of the illustrations inside, but there it is borne by the story and fits in better. Any ...more
Richard Duncan
Oct 16, 2015 rated it liked it
I picked this up as a little book that might interest and inspire my grandsons.

I enjoyed it. I thought the illustrations were well done.

The story about this young girl of great faith and courage was told in a solid way. But the writing style seemed, at least to me, to lack creativity, imagination, and inspiration.

I was moved to desire to spend time with God in a more intimate and personal way so that I can hear His voice giving my direction for my life.

I will wait until my oldest grandson is
Catherine Mayo
Jun 08, 2013 rated it liked it
This is an account of Joan’s life written for 7-9 year olds, in simple but dignified prose and with frequent full page illustrations.

The myths around the events of her life are treated as facts, and the wicked English are as wicked as ever. The French king is kept as a neutral figure to the extent he isn’t even named, so his treachery to Joan is easily glossed over. Her execution is simply told, without any graphic detail. The only person named, other than Joan, is Cauchon, the Bishop of Beauva
Linda Lipko
An American Library Association notable children's book, the illustrations are magnificent! It tells to tale of Joan of Arc, a plain country woman who heard voices compelling her to go to battle against England who were seizing Orleans France, making the French King very vulnerable. The voices told her to free Orleans and accompany the King to Rheins where he would be crowned.

Listening to the voices would cost her life.
Sam Grace
I don't know enough about the story to be able to critique the facts of this retelling, but this book seems like a very good children's book to own. It's non-fiction with gorgeous paintings and (key for me) the text isn't too small or long to make this a bedtime book. Hooray for teaching our children about important women!
Leila
I was so impressed by Poole's retelling of Joan of Arc. She explains Joan's voices by saying that they were what she believed they were: voices from Heaven itself. How refreshing! Beautiful illustrations.
Shelli
Feb 22, 2015 rated it really liked it
This is a beautifully illustrated picture book biography on Joan of Arc, an unlikely and tragic hero of the Middle Ages. I felt the narrative was a bit wordy at parts and some younger children may have a harder time following along. Intended more for 4th-8th grade.

Amy
Mar 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Joan of Arc is my dearest heroine. This book is a great introduction for children. Lovely illustrations.
Mas5thgrade2011
Oct 21, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 5b, sparkles
She was a really cool person. She was also veeeeeery brave!
Teri
Nov 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: middle-ages
Always nice to have a good picture book biography.
sage
I adore Angela Barrett's art to pieces. I wish there was a bit more to the text in this one, but the art mostly makes up for it.
Holly Wood
I realized while reading this out loud how really bizarrely this story is received by a child raised without religious beliefs.
Tara Garner
Biography. Slightly boring but one who enjoys biographies or this period of time would enjoy it.
Jen
Dec 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
lovely illustrations. too long for story time. great ending. very complete in that it describes Joan's whole life. definitely a girl empowerment book.
Ayesha  Varshney
Nov 17, 2016
Suburban Homeschooler
Mar 23, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: children
Four stars for illustrations; three stars for unimaginative text.
Wendee
Mar 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is a great narrative of Joan of Arc with pictures. Great for children.
Adrienne
rated it did not like it
Mar 09, 2010
Ariell
Jan 08, 2014
Katrina
Jan 03, 2012
LydiaMae
Oct 13, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Josephine Poole is the renowned author of several books for children and young adults. Her first book was published in 1961, and she has also written extensively for television. She lives in Somerset.

More about Josephine Poole