Start by marking “L Is for Lollygag: Quirky Words for a Clever Tongue” as Want to Read:
L Is for Lollygag: Quirky Words for a Clever Tongue

L Is for Lollygag: Quirky Words for a Clever Tongue

A is for apple? B is for ball? Humbug! Forget about that hackneyed hogwash. In this extravaganza of linguistic delights A is for alley-oop, B is for brouhaha, and L is for, well, lollygag!

Packed with oodles of tongue-tickling words and a hodgepodge of curious illustrations, fun trivia, and lists within lists, L Is for Lollygag is one humdinger of a dictionary. Huzzah!
Published March 26th 2008 by Chronicle Books

To ask other readers questions about L Is for Lollygag, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about L Is for Lollygag

Start your review of L Is for Lollygag: Quirky Words for a Clever Tongue
Megan
Jul 27, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: language
A cute, quirky little book that's easy to read and enjoyable to look at. The design is lovely, and I really enjoyed the illustrations. I doubt I'll be throwing around these words very often, but I love learning new words, and the definitions were amusingly worded. Also, a few days later my dad told me not to lollygag, and I had to laugh a little.
Lynnette
May 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For the quick-witted or anyone who gets a kick out of lesser known words, this light-hearted reference will tickle your quirky preferences. I've owned it for years and continue to reach for it again and again. I like to read the words to my kids and challenge them to put the words into circulation.
Stephanie
Jun 29, 2009 rated it really liked it
Cute and fun book. I expected it it be more illustrated with one or two words per alphabet letter, but there were a handful of quirky words for each letter, with a pronunciation clue and a brief, playful/witty definition of each word. While there are some fun graphics throughout, there isn't an "illustration" for each word. Seems like the perfect book for one of those brainy 8- to 10-year-olds who would appreciate learning a few choice words to add to their vocabulary.
Laela
May 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, children
Reading this while eating lunch will make you feel like a nerd. If you choose this route you can start using strange and interesting words to bedevil your friends. It might even go so far as to irk them. But; Fear Not! Once you have explained what your new words mean everything will be back to kilter. I recommend giving this book a quick look-see.
mindi
Feb 03, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2009
a very fun little book. the illustrations were wonderful, and i even learned a new word or two. ;)

it's more fun than structured, though. there wasn't a good (dictionary-type) example of exactly how to pronounce the words, and several of them needed a sentence as an example of how to use the word.

it was fun to read some of the words aloud, over and over in the pick up lane at school.
Edy Gies
Jul 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
What a fun book! Many of these words are quickly leaving the dictionaries or at least the vocabulary of the average individual. I would love to hear my students using words like shenanigans or corns-waggle. I will be purchasing this book for my classroom collection.
I will refrain from rating this one since I didn't read it. I was expecting a story and was disappointed to discover it's just a mini dictionary of so-called "quirky words" with a wannabe vintage cover.
Natalie
Apr 29, 2013 rated it really liked it
Super fun.
Rokabear Decker
Jan 29, 2010 rated it really liked it
I picked this book up to help inspire me for improv. I like to play the Alphabet Game.....the book helped to fill my bag of tricks!
Lupine
Perfect book for the word nerd in your life...of any age really. Not enough history on where the words come from for my taste but otherwise, a really fun book!
Lisa
Aug 28, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: kim
Great way to introduce new vocab. Middleschoolers would enjoy this and it would also be useful to those studying for the SAT.
Stephanie  Harchar
Jul 21, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Being a lover of books and crosswords, this book called to me right from the jump. I loved it! It will be added to my own personal collection.
Deborah
A fun book for word lovers. If you like this book, I have to recommend OUNCE, DICE, TRICE by Alastair Reid (illustrated by Ben Shahn and sadly o.p.), which takes wordplay to the next degree.
Gabrielle
Dec 30, 2012 rated it it was amazing
THIS IS NOW MY FAVORITE BOOK! IT IS A MUST-READ!
Craig Houston
Oct 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great little book of wonderfully fun words. The whole family has enjoyed sharing words they have been tickled by in this book.
Condor

• The House Without a Christmas Tree
  • The Portrait
  • Here Lies the Librarian
  • Log Cabin in the Woods: A True Story About a Pioneer Boy
  • An Irish Country Girl (Irish Country #4)
  • The Bookshop
  • Brooklyn
  • May Bird and the Ever After (May Bird, #1)
  • How They Croaked
  • Howl's Moving Castle (Howl's Moving Castle, #1)
  • Mac