Start by marking “Off Rock” as Want to Read:
Off Rock

Off Rock

In the year 2778, Jimmy Vik is feeling dissatisfied.

After busting his ass for assorted interstellar mining outfits for close to two decades, downsizing is in the wind, his ex-girlfriend/supervisor is climbing up his back, and daily Jimmy wonders if he’s played his last good hand.

So when Jimmy stumbles upon a significant gold pocket during a routine procedure on Kardashev
Mass Market Paperback, 331 pages
Published March 2018 by Titan Books. a division of Titan Publishing Group (first published April 18th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Off Rock, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Off Rock

Start your review of Off Rock
Kevin Kelsey
Jun 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2017
Posted at Heradas Review

I read this novel almost entirely from a hammock in my backyard, and I’d recommend taking that approach. It’s good and pulpy, a light summer Science Fiction read. A blue collar crime caper set during the closing days of a mobile mining station on an asteroid. Seedy characters, none particularly too bright, almost all involved in some sort of side action, fumbling their way through life with the limited choices left to them. Blackmail, vices, bribes, and lost causes are
Bob
Apr 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
A quirky sci-fi heist tale, Off Rock by Kieran Shea manages to cram a lot of action and drama into its efficient packaging. Kind of like a spaceship, in fact, or a deep space mining shaft. It has a bit of a Red Dwarf feel to it, crossed with The Stainless Steel Rat, with a touch of Office Space . . . in space.

Jimmy Vik isn't a bad guy, but he lacks ambition, isn't good with relationships, and has a tenuous grasp on morality. When he stumbles across a vein of gold while planting charges for a
Benoit Lelièvre
Mar 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
Not quite your every day science fiction.

I'll be honest, OFF ROCK almost was a transcendent read for me. It didn't QUITE get there but it was one wild, fun, energetic and oddly cerebral novel. The only thing I can compare it from it the Coen brothers' underrated spy movie BURN AFTER READING. Sure, OFF ROCK happens in space, but it's a satire of corporate reality and its maze of existential dead end. There's ALSO an heist plot, which I thought was the least interesting aspect of it. Heist plots
Josh
Apr 04, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: kindle, own, read_2019, sci-fi
A fun sci-fi heist-like novel set far into the future where mankind has conquered the stars.

When Jimmy Vik, an off-world mining grunt, stumbles upon, what he presumes to be a vast gold depository, the temptation proves irresistible; a chance to change his life (and potentially end it if caught) beckons.

Hindering his plans for wealth, is the fact that the discovery of any mineral of value is owned by a big bad greedy corporation aka Jimmy’s employer, so taking this windfall for himself is a bad
Brendan
Aug 07, 2018 rated it really liked it
3.5

The book is fun, pulpy and harmless but if you're looking in depth sci fi, this won't be the book for you. I had just come off reading One Way by S.j. Morden and that was a huge underwhelming book, it had promised some genre fun but that wasn't to be the case. This book had a quote that referred it to Firefly, for the people living under a rock, that was a cult classic TV show by Joss Whedon. This book was not Firefly but it was a campy heist book that was sluggish for the first section but
Shelli
May 11, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Fans of Futurama, Douglas Adams, and/or heist capers
Recommended to Shelli by: Goodreads Giveaways
At first blush, the rabble-rousing fun and ludicrous details of Off Rock, by Kieran Shea, reminded me a bit of Douglas Adams' Hitchhiker's Guide trilogy (all four parts), as well as the long-running TV show "Futurama" (Off Rock even has a character named Leela as well!). But don't be fooled into thinking that this is just a slapstick heist saga in outer space. There may be Code Zulu klaxons sounding throughout the Azoick Surface Operational Command Center on the Cyclopean-Class moon Kardashev ...more
Thomas
Jimmy Vik works for an outer space mining company, drilling what needs drilling out of asteroids and such. His ex-girlfriend is his boss, which complicates things when he finds a vein of gold in his mining shaft, and comes up with the grand idea to smuggle it off the rock to live high on the hog. The problem is, smuggling something off the rock is a lot more complicated than it looks, and as every potential smuggler already knows, it never goes as planned.

Off Rock is a heist novel, and pretty
John
May 21, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sf-fantasy
DNF. Not terrible (in fact, has earmarks of a decent caper), but I just couldn't get into it. May give it another try sometime.
Geonn Cannon
Apr 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Nothing particularly bad, nothing exactly standout. I hyped this one too much in my head before its release, I think.
James Murphy
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you read enough science fiction, you soon discover writers who like to do a little genre mixing. One such writer is Kieran Shea, who has mixed his sci-fi with the caper genre and come up with "Off Rock." The story revolves around one Jimmy Vik, a mining technician working in deep space. In the course of his daily grind on a small planetary object, Jimmy discovers a pocket of gold. Jimmy, after getting over being amazed, realizes that finding gold is one thing; getting it off the small ...more
Seregil of Rhiminee
Jul 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Originally published at Risingshadow.

Kieran Shea's Off Rock is, pardon my language, one hell of a good, pulpy and deliciously quirky science fiction novel for adults, because it's pure escapism from start to finish. When I started reading it, I found myself thoroughly engaged by the story and its many twists and turns. It's been a while since I've read as enjoyable and entertaining a science fiction novel as this one, because it was a lot of fun.

Because I'm fond of good heist stories, I was
Michelle
Jun 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
Well. This was not perfect. Minuses: kind of an obnoxious writing style, which bothered me most at the beginning and at the end. The sentences describing inner thoughts of characters were pretty awkward. Not so great character development--the main character makes a very sudden unexplained change that bothered me. So. No 5 star here.
Pluses: Wow. VERY fun and fast-paced story in the middle that made me completely forget about the writing awkwardness for a large part of the book.
Verdict: Fun,
Wayne
Apr 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyed it tremendously. The characters immediately jump off the page, fully-fleshed and ready to go. Fast-paced, brisk and always engaging.
Trike
May 07, 2017 rated it liked it
This is a quick action piece, half heist story, half film noir, with all of the extraneous bits cut out so we can get down to the action. It's an action movie in book form, and if you go in with that mindset it's a lot of fun.

It's a bit similar to classic Westerns like High Noon, with the focus on a main guy and his less-than-perfect life colliding with serious criminal badasses, but if Gary Cooper were a ne'er-do-well who lacks motivation until he sees an opportunity to get rich via a small
Marc
Dec 29, 2017 rated it liked it
It's not an extremely long or particularly thought provoking read, but I did enjoy it. I don't wanna give away any spoilers but it essentially follows a guy named Jimmy whose not really down on his luck, but isn't doing so great either. He happens to stumble across some gold and lays a plan to steal it from his employer and bring it home so he can get out of the mining business.

One of this novels strengths is that it manages to have a cast of criminal characters without being too cheesey and
Steve Horwatt
Mar 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
I took a chance on this book because I saw some positive reviews touting it as a "bank heist in space." First, it's not exactly that. It's more like "inventory shrinkage in space." Second, I didn't really care for the writing (the author seems to have a "word a day" calendar, and I got tired of hearing darkness described as "tenebrous" rather than "shadowy" and there's also a point where a character senses a "liminal slipstream" between himself and another character). Third, while the plot was ...more
Thomas
Jun 09, 2018 rated it it was ok

Shea, Kieran. Off Rock. Kindle, 2017.
I picked up Off Rock because I remember liking the first novel in the Koko series. But this one needed a few more drafts at the very least. Our hero is a disgruntled minor somewhere in interstellar space. He wants to smuggle gold back to earth so he can retire. So far so good. But the characters are all clichés that one might find in a pulp western. Very little attention has been paid to world building. Why is gold more valuable than, say, rare earths? The
Denise
Aug 02, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: sci-fi
3.5.

This book was good, and had the potential to be great. This is a fluffy fast paced science fiction heist novel with just the right amount of wry humor for me. I enjoyed jimmy and Leela most of the time - the only problem being that I never really understood their relationship.

I wanted there to be more to this book, but that may be a personal issue- really very little is wrong with the book. If you're looking for a light and fun sf summer read, this will work.
Kend
Dec 27, 2017 rated it did not like it
I'm afraid that when I see the expression "lickety-split" in the middle of a sex scene, my brain automatically shuts down. A friend has coined a new term for this book ("machismoronic") and we have both decided that it is hella racist and sexist as well. So basically, nothing I want to touch with a ten-foot pole. There aren't enough hand spatulas in the world to scrape my brain pan clean of the mess this book made in there.
Curtis Frantz
May 22, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
I kept hoping this would get better, but it never did. None of the characters' motivations made sense throughout the entire book, and the entire setting was a bit poorly imagined. There were good 'space caper' seeds planted in the first few chapters but they were never fully realized. Everything ended up seeming far too convenient and unlikely.
D.f. Nightshade
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was my first time reading a book from Kieran Shea and I definitely can't wait to read more. The book was well paced with an interesting plot that was executed by a small three dimensional group of characters. My only gripe with the book was the use of a lot of terminology that was never explained or explained more.
Todd
Nov 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2017
2.5 stars. I was really disappointed overall. This should have been much better. There were moments of greatness within and I think if the author spent more time focusing on the better aspects of his writing, this could have been really good. Instead, it read more like a YA novel with some bad words sprinkled in to keep it off the YA lists.
Daniel Kukwa
May 16, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: other-sf-fantasy
I'm not a caper fan, so the story didn't do much for me in the interest and originality department. But what kept me going was the snappy, punchy, occasionally raunchy writing style (the dialogue is first rate), and a solid, extremely likable couple in protagonists Jimmy & Leela. This might not have ticked all my boxes, but I think I'll read another Kieran Shea novel in the future.
Kirk Ingram
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A quick and easy read, a well written and fun romp in space with pretty well fleshed out main characters considering the book's brevity. Thoroughly enjoyed it and will look out for more from Kieran Shea.
Edward Kinney
Jul 18, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Off Rock. Smart. Intelligent. A great robbery story for the future. A fast paced novel that pours action and all the elements of a good heist story. The grunt world set in the future gives great insight to how future mining companies could very well operate. Read this book. Have fun with it.
Chris
Dec 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
Pulpy sci-fi goodness! This story could easily be made into a summer release movie. I don't think it would be a box office smash, but with the right script and actors it could make a lot of money.
Andy Crane
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Solid story, but the ending felt like a cop out and kinda ruined the book for me. Probably wouldn't read again, but it was a light, fun read.
MacRae  Forrest
Jul 13, 2017 rated it liked it
Super pulpy I loved it
Laurie
Oct 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Fun, fast read. If you're into pure sci-fi that's rough and dirty, this is for you!
Scott Shjefte
Apr 25, 2019 rated it really liked it
Action adventure yarn on a corporate controlled economic mining town in Space.

• Dark Run (Keiko, #1)
  • Dark Deeds (Keiko, #3)
  • Dark Sky (Keiko, #2)
  • Daybreak
  • The Thief (The Gameshouse, #2)
  • The Master (The Gameshouse, #3)
  • The Serpent (The Gameshouse, #1)
  • Terminal Alliance (Janitors of the Post-Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Tangled Lands
  • The Boys Vol. 3 Digital Omnibus
  • The Boys Vol. 2: Digital Omnibus
  • Endurance: The Complete Series
  • The Delirium Brief (Laundry Files, #8)
  • Barbary Station (Shieldrunner Pirates, #1)
  • All Those Explosions Were Someone Else's Fault
  • Caspian's Fortune (Infinity's End #1)
  • Tempest Rising