Start by marking “Down the Dirt Roads” as Want to Read:
Down the Dirt Roads

Down the Dirt Roads

'For me, being in a paddock means anything is possible . . .'

Country girl and bestselling novelist Rachael Treasure seemed to have it all, a long-dreamed-of lifestyle on her own patch of dirt in Tasmania's rugged and beautiful wilderness. But through the breakdown of her marriage, Rachael lost her family farm and, in her words, lost her way in life.

Discovering an all-new c
Published October 31st 2016 by Penguin Books Australia

To ask other readers questions about Down the Dirt Roads, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Down the Dirt Roads

Sharon
Growing up on her parents' farm, Rachael Treasure knew from a young age this was going to be her life. She loved everything about farming life and when she married and had children of her own the desire to stick around on the land was still with her, but it all changed when her marriage broke down. She lost everything and suddenly she was faced with nowhere to live and she had two children and her dogs to support, Racheal felt her world was falling apart.

Rachael’s life as she once knew it had b
Brenda
Rachael Treasure had soil in her blood – she still does. For as long as she could remember she had wanted to work on a farm; be a farmer. And it seemed her dreams were coming true – living and working on her parents' farm in rural Tasmania alongside her father; working the dogs, crutching sheep, getting her hands dirty. This was her dream come true. But when her seven year marriage shattered, her shock was compounded by having to leave the family farm. Rachael’s father favoured her husband over ...more
Judy
This is a book for women. For women to really look at their life and how they fit into society. Do you plod on like her mum, quietly rebellious but not disturbing the status quo. Do you come up against an unfair and immovable male blockade like the author. Do you live as a idealistic young thing not willing to look at the truth until you can no longer avoid it?
My mum told me when I was very young, "a women must always have a secret bank account for an emergency". That was her way of saying "mak
Reannon Bowen
Feb 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was such an interesting read. I'm no farmer but the way Rachael writes about the land & soil & how we connect to it has me thinking long & hard. I really felt her sadness & anger at losing her land, how bloody hard that must of been for her! The only thing I didn't like about the book was it felt a little scattered, jumping from topic to topic, but maybe that's just the headspace she was in? I look forward to the follow up of this book.
Antoinette
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Having actively avoided the author’s fiction genre, I am now going to give them a go.

This is part memoir part manifesto that embraces the femaleness of growing and nurturing without being simpering or in anyway “girly”. She talks about the femaleness of farming not about Mother Nature. I am also going to buy a hard copy of this to refer to again.
Victoria
Jun 15, 2018 rated it liked it
I agree with much Rachael Treasure has written, I feel like there are some circuitous moments in the read. The most interesting parts were the natural farming techniques and interactions with those souls who are at the forefront of change.
The memoir had a difficult time line to follow and I felt a tad confused.
Alan
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was ok
I love autobiographies but just didn’t relate to this one, I found it jumped around a lot and didn’t keep my interest. Rachael grew up with farming in her blood and copes with a marriage breakup and the the loss of her farm.
Lorraine Wilson
Great short stories.
Dianne Gary
May 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Loved this - short stories about the author struggling in a conventional farming system to transition to more holistic and organic at the same time as struggling through seperate and family breakdown
Alison
Jan 15, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
So much of this book looked like it was up my alley. The book combines sustainable farming - a topic of great interest to me and about which I know nothing - with personal memoir and a discussion of gender. In reading it however I found my approach to the world and Rachael Treasure's so different that the book became a constant source of irritation

The book is mostly memoir and it is as memoir that it mostly succeeds . Covering the six years following the disintegration of her marriage, the book
Denita
Nov 26, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Brilliant! Brilliant! Brilliant! Now Im no farmer but I can see how Rachael is talking sense when she explains how our land is dead and the old practices are still being done when there are ways to replenish the land. All this is hurting the foodchain. If only ALL farmers were willing to try. I say 'Good on you, Rachael". You are a voice that needs to be heard.

Not only does she educate the reader in how changing farming ways can heal the land she also gives us a look into her very personal jour
Jennifer Rolfe
Feb 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Rachael Treasure has been on my 'to read' list for a while and I am glad this memoirs my introduction to her writing. She wove her ideas on sustainable farming with her personal journey really well.
Bev Maybury
Jan 31, 2017 rated it liked it
Interesting background to this novelist's life - sometimes family leaves a lot to be desired.
Dorothy McCorkelle
Nov 06, 2016
chris buchwalder
Jun 05, 2017
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Rachael Treasure lives in southern rural Tasmania with her two young children. She is passionate about encouraging non-readers to read, inspiring farmers to consider regenerative agricultural practices and animal handlers to better understand their dogs and livestock. She is a graduate of Orange Agricultural College and has a Bachelor of Arts (Communication) from Charles Sturt University, Bathurst ...more