Start by marking “Shogun Tome I ” as Want to Read:
Shogun Tome I

Shogun Tome I (Shogun #1)

4.54  ·  Rating details ·  4,571 Ratings  ·  141 Reviews
Dans les années 1600, John Blackthorne, un navigateur anglais qui a rêvé d'accomplir le tour du monde, aborde aux côtes du Japon. Et pour lui l'aventure commence dans ce pays inconnu, mystérieux, en proie à de sauvages divisions féodales tandis que s'accomplit l'irrésistible ascension de Toranaga - qui deviendra Shôgun, c'est-à-dire le dictateur, le maître du Japon. D'une ...more
Mass Market Paperback, 540 pages
Published November 30th 1983 by Librairie générale française (first published 1975)

To ask other readers questions about Shogun Tome I, please sign up.

Tara It's the first in the series. I read "Noble House" and enjoyed it enough to read the entire series.

James McAllister
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
The Shogun novels were written by James Clavell who had been a prisoner of war in a Japanese prison camp (Changi- Singapore). His experiences there led him to find out what kind of people the Japanese were and how they could be so cruel to their prisoners. To some extent his books answer his question in a way that I thought would have surprised him - the Code of Bushido has no place for prisoners but there was honour and duty and 'a code' in the Japanese Army.

The book itself is excellent and bu
Luke Presley
Jun 16, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shogun is a great read that provides insight into Japanese culture and politics but it isn't great literature.

On a recent episode of This American Life, Stephanie Foo tells the story of a Japanese man, Nasubi, who endured 15 months of starvation, deprivation and isolation for a reality TV show. He could have walked out, called his friends, gone home, got dressed and eaten meat but he stayed with it simply because he had verbally committed to do so. The psychological impact was so severe that he
Paul Gaya Ochieng Simeon Juma
I remember when I was still in school; there was a question which was occasionally being asked in our exams-

Who colonized Kenya?
A. Britain B. Portugal
C. Spain D. France

Yes, the British colonized Kenya. First they arrived like Missionaries. Their aim, to spread the word of God. They found our religion, if we had one, apathetic. They wanted to shine the light into our dark hearts, clean us of our cultural filth.

Salesmen will tell you that, all they need is to get a foot inside the door and they wi
Matthew Shoe
Nov 30, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like a good adventure story, I also like a good solid novel with engaging characters and a unique narrative: this novel is both. The main character is John Blackthorne, an English pilot of a dutch ship who is shipwrecked and stranded in late sixteenth century Japan. Blackthorne learns Japanese customs and language to survive. Through his heroism he is made Samurai and becomes a valuable asset to lord Toranaga, a major overlord vying for domination of Japan. As Blackthorne gains an understandin ...more
Niya
I thought I will never find something like Shantaram again but I somehow did find it in Shogun although both have their differences as well as similarities. Another thing that I really liked in the book was that it gave a very good insight at what has actually been happening during the colonization, not only in Japan but all over the world.
I was a bit bored in the beginning of the book but everything fell into place the moment Mariko came in the picture! :D The plot is complex and very political
Susan
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Audible had a sale a while ago, so I picked up Shogun to read because I remember just loving it when I was young. Wow! I have been thinking that editors have been getting worse as time goes by, but I'm not sure there was an editor for this book. There is lots that just doesn't make sense. For instance, at one time the Anjisan is captured in the enemy's castle. There is a fight, which the Angisan loses, and then all of a sudden he is walking out with a priest with no explanation of why he has bee ...more
Colin Lamont
This was abandoned, not finished.

I was initially thrilled and excited about this book. The storm tossed seas, the salt of adventure, the sight of Japan after ten thousand miles of travel, the culture shock of a hyper-advanced, death obsessed society. Surely this will be a rollicking good time!

But it rollicked on and on and on, violence and death and the same episodic pattern of conflict and intrigue and boring politics. 200 pages. 400 pages. 600 pages. Nope. The characters were static, or else c
Marcus Hutchens
There might be a story worth reading somewhere in here, but there was way too much unimportant and dull dialogue for me to continue. I made it about 10% through and gave up - I would have loved more focus on progressing the story, though I did enjoy the parts about Japanese culture, but there was a serious lack of editing that killed my interest. Based on the plot synopsis I read, I think I'd enjoy a 300-400 page version instead of this 1000+ page version.
Snejina
Mar 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Страхотен разказ за войните за власт във феодална Япония.. Интересно,динамично,напрегнато написана книга,която те кара да се интересуваш и да търсиш още и още... Такива машинации,изкусно оплетени схеми, интриги и подмолност...изглежда Клавел е сложил Мартин в малкия си джоб още през седемдесетте.. И все още съм само до средата! Завиждам си!!
Sara Dickerman
This book said a lot more about late 20th century America than Imperial Japan at the dawn of the 17th century, but its plot was compelling enough and it gave me enough Richard CHamberlain flashbacks for me to finish.
Velin
Feb 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Incredible insight into the Japanese culture before the European invasion.
Andra Constantin
Jan 03, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2014
Captivating even for someone not interested in Asia.
Stan Angelov
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really consuming book and original script, James Clavell is really gifted writer, I learned alot from the book about the traditions of Japan.
Iustina
Sep 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Mentalitatea japoneză m-a lăsat cu "gura căscată". Şi mi-a plăcut că abia la sfârşit se menţionează legătura titlului cu toată acţiunea.
Douglas O'laughlin
Magnificent.
Yona
Jul 28, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: classics
I'm loving it, I'm starting the second volume right now.
Joy Williams
Jul 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read this many years ago, but I remember it as a really, really good book. I like historical novels, but only if they really describe the times -- in this case the time in Japanese history when the country was ruled by various warlords. I learned a great deal about Japan before Admiral Perry dragged them out of their isolation and into the modern world. It's a very well-written and informative book. Highly recommended for history novel buffs.
Vanessa Jones
Jun 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I started on volume 2 (accidentally) and got a quarter of the way through before I realized it. I went back and read volume 1 and it is making a bit more sense now :) The details are incredible and I read that James Clavell had been a POW-- which makes sense on the intricate knowledge he has of the culture. A stunning portrayal of how different cultures can be-- and what is normal to our culture can be absolutely crazy to another culture.
Ami Toben
Jun 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An absolute masterpiece. One of the best books ever written!
Russell Berg
Giant epic of renaissance Japan. A good story if not great literature.
Ellen
Jul 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this ages ago - re read it this summer and found it wonderful.
Di Hooson
Jun 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this book many, many years ago and thought it amazing. A Kindle edition was too good to miss and so I'll be reading this classic again very soon
Tayway
Aug 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Such an excellent book. Came into it having no clue what to expect. If you like historical fiction, or if you want to learn more about feudal Japan, this book is a great read.
Ed Pero
Jun 04, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a nice read. I really enjoyed the setting of the Japanese culture and how it differs from the west.
Makesi
May 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
excellent writing! Clavell paints pictures with words and intriguing story line to match
Ross
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
didn't age particularly well in terms of some presentation issues but still very entertaining.
Nikola M
Mar 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Уникално четиво!
Jerry
Feb 15, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
One of the worst books I have ever read. Had absolutely the worst ending ever. If there were a zero I would give it a zero. A bunch of words that led you in the direction of telling you many things from the evil wrought on Japan and many other countries by the Catholic Church to how fanatical the Japanese were and land grabbing other countries were. Did a lousy job of filling any of these promises. Made me feel I could write a better book in a weekend!
Carla
May 28, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: not-own, portuguese, 2010
Seguimos a história de Blackthorne, o primeiro piloto inglês a colocar pé no Japão (na verdade a história ficcionada é baseada em William Adams) após passar pelo Estreito de Magalhães com um portulano português (supostamente roubado). Aí chegado, a integração parece difícil, não só pela diferença linguística mas também por aí se encontrarem padres jesuítas, que o consideram herege por ser protestante, mercadores portugueses, que o consideram pirata e vêem-no como uma ameaça à sua exclusividade n ...more
Chrys Minter
very good beginning of story, anticipating volume 2. Interesting facts wrapped up in fiction within this volume
  • The Complete Novels of Jane Austen, Vol 1: Sense & Sensibility/Pride & Prejudice/Mansfield Park
  • Understanding Earth
  • Tunc
  • The Idiot & The Possessed
  • It All Adds Up: From the Dim Past to the Uncertain Future
  • The Heyday of the Insensitive Bastards
  • Six Tales of the Jazz Age (and Other Stories)
  • Marshall Brain's How Stuff Works
  • The Pillow Book of Lady Wisteria (Sano Ichiro, #7)
  • Answer as a Man
  • The Legend of the Glorious Adventures of Tyl Ulenspiegel in the Land of Flanders & Elsewhere
  • Bluebeard
  • The History of the United States (Great Courses, #8500)
  • Oh What a Paradise It Seems
  • Време разделно
  • A Piece of My Heart
  • Deep Water Passage: A Spiritual Journey at Midlife
  • Astronomy Today
James Clavell, born Charles Edmund Dumaresq Clavell was a British novelist, screenwriter, director and World War II veteran and POW. Clavell is best known for his epic Asian Saga series of novels and their televised adaptations, along with such films as The Great Escape, The Fly and To Sir, with Love.

--------------------------

James Clavell. (2007, November 10). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia.
More about James Clavell...

Shogun (2 books)
  • Shogun Volume 2

“Like dew I was born
Like dew I vanish
..and all that I have ever done
Is but a dream