Start by marking “Don't Call Me Bear!” as Want to Read:
Don't Call Me Bear!

Don't Call Me Bear!

Published August 1st 2016 by Scholastic Australia

To ask other readers questions about Don't Call Me Bear!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Don't Call Me Bear!

Start your review of Don't Call Me Bear!
Abigail
Oct 17, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Young Animal Lovers / Aaron Blabey Fans
Warren the koala objects strongly to being described as a bear in this entertaining picture-book from Down Under, setting out the history of how his species came to be so erroneously named. The rhyming text follows his complaints, and concludes with a scenario in which his fellow Aussie animals label him a bear regardless...

Like so many of author/artist Aaron Blabey's picture-books, Don't Call Me Bear! pairs an entertaining tale told in rhyme with bright, colorful artwork that perfectly captures
Beth
Oct 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This book is my pet peeve! I loved it! On the back it says ‘This is a book about a koala bear’ (and bear is scratched out). The story is in rhyme, which is cute. It tells why koalas were first called bears. It also gives great points about other animals looking like other animals but we don’t screw up their names. It is a koala. A marsupial. No need to add bear.
Melanie Dulaney
Aaron Blabey creates another sassy animal character, this time, a koala who is tired of being mistaken for a bear. His artwork is engaging and so is the rhythm and rhyme of the text. The youngest preschool reader will have no idea what the whole bear vs. marsupial debate is all about, but from age 2-8 will enjoy the koala's attitude and will laugh at something on every page. Libraries with a readership of Blabey's Pig the Pug or Thelma books will definitely want this one.
Barbara
Warren, a feisty koala, sets things straight about his identity and gives a brief history of how his species came to be called koalas. Using a chart and simple text, he points out that koalas are marsupials. Despite his sound arguments, he isn't able to convince the other animals who still see him as an adorable bear. He concludes the book just as annoyed as he begins it. Readers may or may not be convinced to drop that bear when they talk about koalas, but they will surely be amused by the ...more
Kerrikoala
Oct 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Seriously, people. Stop it. This koala is very upset.
DaNae
Nov 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 19-new, picture-books
The narrative is a bit of a mess.
Amanda
Dec 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cbmr-reviewed
Warren the Koala would like the whole world to know that he is not a bear. He is a marsupial, like kangaroos and possums. He doesn’t eat fish or frighten hikers. He doesn’t even live where bears do. He lives in Australia. There are no wild bears in Australia. Using diagrams and examples to demonstrate, Warren explains politely and eventually screams loudly in protest, but no matter what he tries, everyone still calls him bear.

Warren may not sway readers to stop calling him a bear, but he’ll put
C Exley Books (Cassandra)
I just read this with my four and a half year old son.

With the amount of people mistakenly calling Koalas, Koala Bears, it was a really clever idea to use that concept for a picture book. Cute book reinforcing the fact that a koala is not part of the bear family. Colourful illustrations. Good on Scholastic for providing it at only $2 in their latest book club offering!

All questions answered by my son (Nicholas).

Do you like this book?

What's your favourite part of the book?
the part when he
Amanda
Oct 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Honestly, I don't usually enjoy Blabey's books so I wasn't looking forward to anything when I opened this up. Imagine my surprise when I found myself reading this in my head in a (very bad imitation) Australian accent--I do that--for this Koala's story. The rhymes snuck up on me, and they weren't annoying.

Heads up: some grownups might not appreciate the mention of Rum in the history of Captain Cook.

Altogether funny, and I laughed throughout. P.S. How did I miss in school that Koalas are
Ellon
Nov 18, 2019 rated it liked it
I'm not sure I totally get Blabey's humor. In the few books of his I've read, it starts off great and then ends up being kind of 'meh." I think this book had potential to teach about koalas but then the koala just yells at everyone and stalks off. Also, although most kids won't read it, in the page from the "History of a Koala Bear' book that Warren is reading, it says " Captain Cook replied, 'Yeah, yeah, whatevs,' and went off in search of a flagon of rum." Not sure I feel okay with that being ...more
Mary Bilbrey
Jan 08, 2020 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love, love, love the book "Don't call me BEAR!," by Aaron Blabey. The book takes place in Australia, and the Koala (bear) is enraged because EVERYONE thinks he is a bear when he is not "in any way" a bear-he is a marsupials. The Koala goes to great lengths to explain why you should not call him a bear, and you will have to read the book to see if he is able to convince his fellow Australians that he has been wronged. This would be a fantastic read aloud for an introduction to ...more
Lara Samuels
Overall highly readable and appealing. I was sad that Blabey chose to include Captain Cook “went off in a search of a flagon of rum.” This was a crucial moment in the book that went one step too far making it hard to use with students. Disappointing because otherwise this would have been a clever book to inspire STEM learning. Eight words make this an library purchase that kids will in general will have to find themselves instead of being a featured book.
Abby Johnson
In bouncy rhyming text, a grumpy koala bemoans the fact that so many people call him a bear when, in fact, he is NOT a bear. This would be a super cute readaloud (can you do an Australian accent?) for a storytime about bears, animals, or Australia.
Erin *wcsibooks*
Jan 03, 2020 rated it really liked it
Eva (age 7) - **Giggle.** I thought that one was funny. The author makes really funny books. Example. Pig the Pug and Thelma the Unicorn.

Me - Great Rhyming cadence to it. Funny characters made even more funny by the complete truth in Koala's being called bears =)
Becky
Oct 03, 2019 rated it it was ok
I love Blabey's illustration style and a screaming koala is hilarious... but this was just ok. The rhyming didn't woo me, so maybe that's what held it back? If you haven't purchased it for your library yet and no one's clamoring for it, then I'd say pass.
Pam
Aug 23, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Koala attempts to explain that he is not a bear but a marsupial. His expressions show the gamut of emotions. Elementary readers will enjoy the humor and the ending where they continue to call him a bear.
Alison
Nov 24, 2019 rated it it was ok
I like how Warren is very passionate about being called the correct name. The book teaches children that koalas are marsupials and NOT bears. However, the end of the book suggests it does not matter that koalas are not bears, we will call them that anyway. I think this is misleading to children.
Panda Incognito
I really hoped that this koala "bear" would meet up with a panda "bear" at the end of this book, but he did not. Oh, well. This is still really cute, and the rhyming text is unusually good, conveying strong feelings, sass, and scientific information about marsupials without missing a beat.
Air
Nov 05, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was wonderful! Little-Me would get so mad when people called a Koala a bear, because they aren't! This book made me giggle, was a quick paced, fun read, with amazing artwork. Moral of the story = marsupials are not bears, lol! I can't wait to see more!
Shane Harcombe
Feb 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Cute book reinforcing the fact that a koala is not part of the bear family. Has the little ones in stitches throughout. Good on Scholastic for providing it at only $2 in their latest book club offering!
Roben
Nov 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poor koala! Everyone thinks koalas are bears -- and he is here to let everyone know that he is a marsupial. A cute marsupial who might just look a little bit like a bear... but definitely NOT one. Underwear adds to the silliness -- but it also lets kids know that koalas are not bears.
Brenda Kahn
Cute story in rhyme attempting to set the record straight about koalas not being bears.
Sue
Jul 05, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kidlit, 2019
This guy is really funny - we love his Bad Guys books. In our house. This is not as funny as I’d hoped, but it’s a great idea for a kid’s storybook and the illustrations are hysterical.
Andrea Damic
Jul 27, 2018 rated it it was amazing
"Don't Call Me Bear" by Aaron Blabey.

Great, funny and educational book. My 4 year old is probably the only one in her preschool to know that Koalas are Marsupials:-)))

Love it!
Tiziana
Jan 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Koalas are NOT bears! Really cute and funny book. Colourful illustrations. This book also helps to teach children about different kinds of animals.
Megan
Dec 04, 2019 rated it liked it
6 year old: “It was funny and fun and cool. I learned to not call a Koala a bear.”
Perry
Sep 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Another hilarious book by Aaron Blabey. This one teaches you a thing or two about Koalas as well which is plus.
AMY
Sep 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: Grades K-2
Silly story about a Koala who doesn’t like everyone calling it a BEAR! Shows lots of frustration and silly scenes. Kids will probably like it. Recommended for Grades K-2.
Samantha
May 16, 2019 rated it really liked it
This was a really cute and quick read that reinforces the fact that koalas aren't part of the bear family. The humour used in the book is spot-on with Aaron Blabey's other works.
Kate Stead
Jul 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I think my kids know this off by heart. They finish all the rhyme, snorting with laughter as they do so
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Proudest Blue
  • The Pigeon Has to Go to School
  • Bad Dog
  • Spencer's New Pet
Aaron is an Australian author of children's books and artist who until the mid-2000s was also an actor. His award winning picture books include Pearl Barley and Charlie Parsley, The Ghost of Miss Annabel Spoon and the best-selling Pig the Pug.

In the field of acting, he is probably best known for his lead roles in two television dramedies, 1994's The Damnation of Harvey McHugh, for which he won an