Start by marking “Stealing Candy” as Want to Read:
Stealing Candy

Stealing Candy

Candy hates boarding school. As a junior, graduation is still eons away, and making films is the only way to survive the boredom. Until she is kidnapped.

Candy panics. Along Came a Spider, Ransom, Taken, Cellular… Candy knows how these movies end. The only reason anyone would abduct her is to get a payout from her rock star father. Except Candy and her father are estranged.
Published May 2nd 2017 by Sourcebooks Fire

To ask other readers questions about Stealing Candy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Stealing Candy

Start your review of Stealing Candy
Kaylin (The Re-Read Queen)
DNF @ 19%

I CAN'T DO IT. IM SORRY

The writing is exceptionally juvenile, the main character annoying as hell and the story overall unbelievable. I'm not attached to anyone enough to care even remotely.

The MC gives everyone's elaborate nicknames that she thinks are quirky... but it's really just annoying? And she's actually kidnapped and doesn't seem to care?

She thinks someone is special for having seen the Godfather and quoting one of the most popular lines??

Everyone is "a-hole" or "Cancer-Stick
Nicay (dearnicay)
description

“…the road really is a chance. A chance for what? I don’t know. But something is better than nothing, and the fact that tomorrow is a blank canvas on which could be painted is both scary and thrilling.”

You just want to go home to find some peace and space by yourself, and unexpectedly some people abducted you, what will you do?

Candy was living a normal life, going to school, editing her videos, went home to her grandmother and so on. Candy hates her father, who was a lead vocalis
jordan!
Jul 01, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nope
There are many things I want to say about this book. The first: what the fuck.

80% of this book was some of the creepiest shit I've ever read. Essentially: two guys kidnap rich and ~not like other girls~ Candy from her elite boarding school. Which she hates. So she's grateful to be kidnapped! Awesome.

While she's kidnapped, she's abused by the one she refers to as Cancer Stick. We'll talk about the racist development of this later. So while that's going on, she's floored and falling for the ever
Scrill
Apr 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: ya, arc, romance, contemporary
Received an ARC from SOURCEBOOKS Fire via Netgalley for a fair review.

I should be freaking out. Crying or shaking like before, or screaming for help. I’m being kidnapped. The wild thing is, my heart is not only pounding with fear, but also with a twisted freedom.

To say this book was awful would be an overstatement. To say it was good would, again, be an overstatement. As a YA contemporary with coming of age & romantic themes it falls into the I can read this easily in a day or two category.
Katja (Life and Other Disasters)
**I was provided with an eARC from the publisher via NetGalley in exchange for an honest review!**

When I first read the blurb, I was quite excited about the sound of Stealing Candy but unfortunately it didn’t hold up to my expectations. Candy is quite the self-centered person. From the first page on, I got a vibe from her like she thought she was better than everyone else and also that she didn’t appreciate what and who she had in her life. All she wanted was to get away from everything, but whe
Miranda
Apr 26, 2017 rated it it was ok
This book seemed like it was going to be a lot of fun to read, so I am really bummed that I didn't like it.

The plot of this story seemed like a fun and crazy adventure, but it sort of came off as just completely unbelievable. What was so unbelievable was how okay Candy was with getting kidnapped. She seemed to accept it and be totally fine so quickly! I expected more fear, anxiety, and danger. I couldn't believe how chill Candy was about the situation. The first half of the book was very frustr
Ley
Feb 11, 2017 rated it did not like it
DNF
I barely made it through a couple chapters of this. It honestly reads like a bad fanfiction. The dialogue is a joke. The MC literally calls people Max the Goth or the Borings. I just can't deal with that level of "I'm not like the other girls."
Deniz
May 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc-17
3.5 Stars

Stealing Candy is in many ways right up my alley. There is a road trip involved after all....

Lewis has written a witty and interesting book. I love his sense of humor and like his writing style. Stealing Candy is the first of his novels I have read, I plan to read more.

The story line unfolds beautifully, the pacing is done extremely well. I got a couple of issues with the plot: The first is that the kidnapping is a wee bit too much played down-( Hello Stockholm syndrome!)
The second th
Neko Gawr
Rating of 5/5 ONLY because this book has an INSANE amount of Goodread Trolls that hate on anything for no reason at all. DO NOT LISTEN TO THE IDIOTIC TROLL REVIEWS, this book was amazing, it turns a kidnapping story around in a similar fashion to like Girl,Stolen where it has a "what if" scenario of falling in love with your kidnapper of the same age. I loved it and would read more of her style books if its similar to that. The Goodread trolls just need to go away and leave Goodreads to serious ...more
Nikki
Jul 02, 2018 rated it did not like it
If this hadn’t been a remarkably quick and easy read I’d have DNFd it, to be honest. There’s no complexity to it, and candy is an idiot - there’s not really a time when she’s properly scared and she’s only scared of the “bad” kidnapper when it wasn’t even his plan! Argh.

I do get some of the motivations of it all but it’s just so poorly done - none of the people she sees or talks to react appropriately!

1.5 stars.
Kirsten
Aug 19, 2017 marked it as did-not-finish
DNF at 6%

This book is just not for me. I feel like it is trying to do a fun road trip story, but the setup is more along the lines of the movie Taken. It is a weird combination that was not helped by Candy being not very likable. I think it is better for me to not read this book instead of forcing myself to read it and possibly give it a low rating.

I received this book from Sourcebooks Fire via Netgalley in exchange for an honest review.
Sue Holmes
Apr 27, 2018 rated it it was ok
*Review copy received from publisher

With an exceptionally self-centred narrator and a truckload of angst I didn't like the story. I think a duel POV would have worked better.

The ending, however, was well done!
Savannah
Jun 12, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley
This review was originally posted on my new blog, Sav Scribbles.

*I recieved a copy of STEALING CANDY from NetGalley in exchange of an honest review.

Immediate reaction upon finishing this book: what the HECK did I just read.
Like, really. This book.... oh boy. I can't. I just can't. So, let's get into it!

C H A R A C T E R S
Candy. Oh dear. Let me start out by saying that I have never really disliked the protagonist of a book before, but there's a first time for everything! She is DEFINITELY one to
Stephannie Tolitsky- Swoonworthybooks/EnticingJourney
Candy dad sends her away to boarding school. She hates it there and finds herself board until she is kidnapped.

Candy knows how all the movies involving kidnapping end and she is freaking out! panics. Its laughable that her kidnappers think they are going to get her rock star father to pay anything for her safe return. She sent her away and hasn't seen her in years.

Candy starts to enjoy her "kidnapping road trip" with the hot Levon. She connects with him and wants to help him get his revenge and
Forever
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Candy Rex, teenaged daughter of rock star, Wade Rex (who she hasn't seen in years), is living in a boarding school where she doesn't connect with anyone except the janitor. Then, she's kidnapped, and what begins as a terrifying revenge mission against her father quickly turns into a road trip in which she is falling for her kidnapper, Levon.

Let's get one thing straight to start: I didn't think this book was *bad*. And no matter what I say beyond this point, it was a book I enjoyed reading. It wa
Sanjana
Feb 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
Courtney
Jul 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: netgalley, teens
If you can get past the complete unbelievability of this whole adventure and look at is a road trip adventure, it's not so bad. The whole kidnapping thing was a little riduculous, but the desperation of a son I can buy. A lot of this story is completely fantastical, but there is some character growth and even a bit of a sweet romance. The one part I could not get past was a scene when Candy and Levon are playing a movie game. Candy names a movie (When Harry Met Sally) and Levon is supposed to an ...more
B Pastore
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was ok
I won this good through a goodreads giveaway.

On the one hand it was a fast read and I enjoyed the quick pace of the story. The wondering what was going to happen next... disappointment on how it ended. On the other hand I was concerned that this young girl had few ties and connection to people in her life ... and too easily found her kidnapping to be an adventure of getting even with her father and thinking she was falling in love with her kidnapper and not wanting the experience to end. I wonde
Dominique Laura
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
I could not get into this book. I wanted to give it a try because the blurb had really intrigued me, but I'm going to be honest, after the first few chapters I couldn't read any more.

From page one, I immediately didn't connect to the main character, which is a red flag for me because usually, even when I don't like a character, I relate to them on some level almost immediately.

Unfortunately, this was DNF for me, but maybe one day I'll come back and give it another chance.

**NOTE: I RECEIVED AN
Jasmine Zhang
Jun 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
I started reading this book at the bookstore because it looked interesting. I had only read up to where Candy and one of the kidnappers stay at the hotel. Honestly, this book is for people who enjoy reading books about torture and rape. So just not my type. 😂
Selkie
Jun 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Although the story may not very believable, this is a good book for a quick, summer read, and would be of interest to the targeted audience of teens.
Sarah (booksargram)
highly unrealistic but hard to put down. guilty pleasure.
Alexsis Latoski
Jul 29, 2017 rated it did not like it
The writing is juvenile. The main character is awful. I didn't even get halfway through. But, it made a nice addition to my Roy G. Biv themed bookshelf. ...more
Dani ZoomBook
Jun 21, 2018 rated it liked it
This was a cute book, but towards the end candy just got desperate, at least that’s my opinion.
Kiersten
Mar 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017-read
I received a copy of this book from NetGalley in exchange for my review.

Candy's personality is a little hard to swallow at first, I mean, whose happy about getting kidnapped? But over time I grew to love her sarcastic way of handling things, and realized that she was pretty good at getting herself out of rough situations. It was fun to see all the characters actually develop in an easier way, and I know the ending will piss off many younger fans; I found it to be quite realistic.
A-man-duh
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Bri
Apr 08, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: read-in-2017
Jessie Seymour
Feb 09, 2017 rated it liked it
I gave this book 2.5 stars. It took me a few months to finally write this review because I couldn't really gather my thoughts on it up until now. I can finally figure out how I felt about it.

This book, while having a very interesting premise, fell a bit flat to me. I was so excited going into it, but I ended up dragging my feet, often ditching this to read something else more to my taste. Even after I finally started reading large chunks of this at a time I doing a bit of skim reading, which isn
CeeMarie
Jan 10, 2017 rated it did not like it
Space Howler
Jan 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Obviously, I can't go into my detail as this book is not out yet. I think it comes out on my birthday. Cool.

Anyway, I was tempted to give this book 3 stars in the beginning.
Edit: never mind. I don't like this story. I just fell in love with One character. This book was written poorly.
Summary:

Candy hasn't had the best life in the world. Growing up on a tour bus to not having someone there for you sucks.

One day Candy is kidnapped. She talks like normal and names movies off like its no big deal. A

• Symptoms of Being Human
  • I, Coriander
  • Bleeding Earth
  • Love Songs & Other Lies
  • Coming Up for Air
  • Follow Me Back (Follow Me Back, #1)