Start by marking “A Rambling Fancy: In the Footsteps of Jane Austen” as Want to Read:
A Rambling Fancy: In the Footsteps of Jane Austen

A Rambling Fancy: In the Footsteps of Jane Austen

In 'A Rambling Fancy', Caroline Sanderson seeks out Jane Austen's England - the churches, great houses, coaching inns, rectories and seaside lodgings - to see what still remains today.
Published December 1st 2006 by Cadogan Guides (first published September 29th 2006)

To ask other readers questions about A Rambling Fancy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Rambling Fancy

Start your review of A Rambling Fancy: In the Footsteps of Jane Austen
Kirk
Mar 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Charming!
QNPoohBear
Jul 31, 2013 rated it liked it

This unusual travel narrative does not provide directions to Jane Austen's homes and haunts, but rather chronicles one woman's thoughts as she travels in the footsteps of Jane Austen. The author claims her purpose is to portray Jane Austen as a contemporary- someone who is still relevant in the modern world. I'm not sure she quite achieves her purpose. She rambles a lot, as the title suggests, about Jane Austen's life, sometimes making controversial statements and provoking purposely. This is la
Laura Bang
As the title suggests, this is a rambling account of the author's musings as she visits the places where Jane Austen lived and stayed. A nice read for Austen fans.
Amy
Mar 26, 2020 rated it liked it
I give a book until page 50 to impress me and want to read more. I'm sorry to say I didn't finish this. I made it to page 62 though, and then looked ahead and read another chapter and then finally quit. It doesn't hold my interest at all and the author is guessing at Ms. Austen's intentions for her life, and speculation rarely holds my interest, so I'm cutting and running.

I DO think she has talent as a writer, but this specific book was not for me. Also, for being a travel book about someone as
Debbie Young
Sep 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
An engaging and whimsical jaunt in the footsteps of the great author, which has left me wanting to visit many of these places myself, and to reread Jane Austen's works. I'm also wanting to read her letters now, too, and am glad that this book has alerted me to them.
bookinglibrarian
Jul 24, 2008 rated it really liked it
An personal and informative account of the author's journey through the places where Austen lived or which appeared in her books.
Karen Stensgaard
Sep 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
Fascinating to hear about where she lived and the places she used in her novels. Sad she died at such a young age. Look forward to visiting some of the sites when in England and have the time.
Tailsmo
Jun 12, 2014 rated it liked it
A lovely journey around the places Jane and I know so well. It did surprise me though that the author visited Jane Austen's house in Chawton on a bank holiday Monday and then complained that it was so busy she couldn't imagine what it would have been like in Jane's time. Always go to Chawton out of season.
Justine Olawsky
Lynne Robson
Mar 28, 2009
Deborah Burt
Jan 21, 2019

• Keepers of the Covenant (The Restoration Chronicles, #2)
  • Meet Me at the Museum
  • What a Lord Wants (Capturing the Carlisles, #5)
  • A Beautiful, Terrible Thing: A Memoir of Marriage and Betrayal
  • Amos Fortune, Free Man
  • The Magic Misfits (The Magic Misfits, #1)
  • Les Fiancés de l'Hiver (La Passe-Miroir, #1)
  • Home to Big Stone Gap (Big Stone Gap, #4)
  • Shine!
  • Other Words for Home
  • An Irish Country Village (Irish Country #2)
  • Property of the Rebel Librarian
  • Margot
  • The Making of a Highlander (Midnight in Scotland, #1)
  • The Book of Delights
  • The Memory of Her Kiss (Highlander Heroes Book 2)
  • Merry Hall