Start by marking “Out of the Shadows (Broken Gears #1)” as Want to Read:
Out of the Shadows (Broken Gears #1)

Read Book* *Different edition

Out of the Shadows

(Broken Gears #1)

The New Age The darkness of the Old World is gone. No more deadly creatures or magic to keep the people subjugated in fear. The world today is rife with opportunities for progress. The technologies of the Old World can be rediscovered and built upon, cities are maintained, people have the freedom to forge their own paths, and order is kept by the Enforcers. The light of th ...more
Published October 28th 2016 by CreateSpace

To ask other readers questions about Out of the Shadows, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Out of the Shadows

Start your review of Out of the Shadows (Broken Gears #1)
Julia Blake
May 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I was initially drawn to this book, I must admit, by the steampunk cover. Interested in the whole steampunk genre, I thought it might be worth a look, and boy was I right. A long book, the story starts with Lenore, street rat, surviving on her wits and little else, forced to hide and steal after the arrest of her parents, and their subsequent vanishing into the Enforcers headquarters, never to be seen again. An unfortunate encounter with one of the said enforcers, catapults her into the custody ...more
Beverley Lee
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A firm 4.5 out of 5!

I went into this book blind, only knowing that it had a steampunk element, but it's so much more than that. Yes, there is steampunk, but there's also a criminal underworld, the supernatural, and a healthy dose of girl power thrown in to the bones of a post apocalyptic world.

Lenore Crowley is a thief on the streets, but a chance encounter one evening turns her life upside down, when she is given the chance to become someone else. But she never loses who
Michael Chrobak
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What an amazing read this was! I absolutely LOVED every part of it. The characters were real and complex and relatable. The setting was imaginative and thoroughly enjoyable. The underlying mystery and intrigue and sub-plots were extremely well crafted and introduced. Wow. Wow. Wow.
Well done Dana Fraedrich. Well done indeed!
T. Giachetti
Mar 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fantastically riveting

Old World or New World? Fantasy, steampunk style, underground gangsters, magic, vampires, and travel.This is a page turning adventure of epic proportions!
C.E. Clayton
I had heard a bunch of good things about “Out of the Shadows” by fellow authors, so when the books popped up as a bundle sale I immediately bought all three in one go… and then let them sit on my kindle forever because I suck. But I did it! I finally read the first book! “Out of the Shadows” follows Lenore as she tries to hide from the sins of her parents, rejected by society and forced to steal for a living in a world where such crimes could land you in prison and tortured for the rest of your ...more
Faith Rivens
Aug 05, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-of-2017
I am always on the lookout for steampunk novels, but I really don't read enough of them. I have Carriger and Priest at home, but haven't touched them yet. Reading this makes me excited to try them - that's a compliment, in case you didn't know ;)

Lenore is a girl of the streets. She's taught herself to survive, but every day brings new dangers, and when she' offered a new life, a safer one, she accepts. It's a choice that leads her to discover new skills, new friends, and dangerous se
Ellen Read
Sep 01, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Shadows by Dana Fraedrich
(Broken Gears #1)

My review…
Although I knew a little about steampunk, I’d not actually read a steampunk book. Out of the Shadows was a pleasant surprise.

Besides the steampunk elements, there is mystery, danger, subterfuge, vampires and a strong, feisty female ready to fight for her survival in her post-apocalyptic world.

Since the disappearance of her parents, Lenore Crowley is a homeless orphan. She lives by
Alex (PaperbackPiano)
The length of time it took me to read this book is by no means a reflection of its quality! Just wanted to put that out there before jumping into my review :)

I had been looking for more steampunk to read as it is a genre I'm very interested in but am also slightly intimidated by. So when Dana Fraedrich approached me and asked if I would be interested in reading her book, I jumped at the chance!

Out of the Shadows is a very enjoyable read and provides the perfect entrance into the world of s
Caroline Noe
Jun 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lenore is a thief, constantly on the run from the brutal Enforcers who imprisoned her parents and still subject them to torture. Fleeing one encounter, she is catapulted into the lives of the upper class Allens and thus begins a life of intrigue, romance, engineering and danger.

Fraedrich has created an extraordinary world with elements of steampunk Victoriana, fantasy and romance. The characters are well rounded and entertaining, particularly the bad boy whose oath physically binds h
Mandy Burkhead
Jul 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Out of the Shadows by Dana Fraedrich really scratched the steampunk itch I’ve been having lately. I especially enjoyed that the book was set in a unique steampunk world, rather than Victorian England. In fact, the unique world that it is set in means that one could also classify it as magicpunk.

The book takes place in Springhaven, a London-esque city in the small country of Invarnis. While Springhaven appears idyllic and tranquil on the surface, in reality, it is a dystopian society run by Enforcers w
K.J. Chapman
Sep 30, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I rate this book 4.5/5.

Steampunk is not usually my genre of choice, but after reading Jay Kristoff’s Stormdancer, I jumped at the chance to read Dana Fraedrich’s Out of the Shadows. Fraedrich’s worldbuilding is extensive. The world of enforcers, thieves, magic, oaths, the old world- new world dynamic, and the society, is carefully woven together to bring a strong visual and emotional element to the reader.

The characters were well-rounded and distinctive. Rook was the char
Sarina Langer
Jul 03, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an interesting experience for me. I read Book 3 first because I'm editing it, so I loved seeing how everything started in Out of the Shadows! It was a little like reading a prequel for me, and I do love those!

Don't let me give you the wrong idea though. This is the start of a fantastic steampunk trilogy in every way!

Dana's world-building is strong, but it's her characters that will make you turn the pages. They're relatable, realistic, and super likable (especial
Megan
Jul 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is such a cool world. It’s a bit of a mix of fantasy/steampunk/paranormal set in a rule-heavy time period like regency or Victorian. There isn’t much “steam” power in the steampunk, but it’s definitely heavy on technology and engineering, which I found really interesting. I loved the idea of them trying to reverse-engineer machines they had found. I also loved the discussions of women in traditionally men’s fields.

The characters were all unique and intriguing. I like all the grey area betw
Jessica
Mar 29, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Took me long enough...

Out of the Shadows was a book I didn't know too much about going into it. I'm not gonna lie, it took me awhile to get into it (I think it's partially because I had so many other books happening at the same time, and the small font killed me at first). So I was able to get back to it and focus on just on this book. I did start over, so that it would have a fair opinion of it. I'm so glad I did!

This was a genre bending book. Equal parts steampunk, fant
Andrea
Apr 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been some time since I have had the pleasure of reading a book that I couldn't bear to put down! The author masterfully eased this reader into the world of steampunk with such vivid imagery and attention to detail that I found myself unwittingly immersed, feeling quite at home in this new-to-me genre. I adore Lenore; she's the kind of protagonist that allows others to shine at times - a true reflection of her strength, and some seriously brilliant writing. I imagine this is why all of the ...more
Sharman Badgett-Young
Uppity women unite!

Set in a time of set roles and manners, this is a story of women who refused to be held in thrall by tbe prejudices of their times. With the addition of supernatural and criminal elements and a touch of steampunk, this is a story full of rewards for the reader. Well-edited and professionally laid-out, there is nothing to disturb the reader during this engrossing tale.
Julia
Sep 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: indie-gold
I was intrigued by the blurb for this book and thought it would be fun to read a steampunk fantasy. The story pulled me in right away with great characters, a fascinating setting, and an intriguing premise. As the story unfolded, though, I became TOTALLY HOOKED! I'm normally a slow reader, but I couldn't put this book down. I loved all the characters so much, I kinda just wanted to jump into the story!
Angeline Burton
Nov 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: own
I wanted to like this book and it started off very well. I enjoyed the steampunk and the world building but as it progressed it became more about the relationship between the teenage girl and the slightly older street wise kid who is secretly protecting her. There was just too much game playing among the characters and who was going to date who. The writing was good, just not my type of book.
Joanne
Aug 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Why, though?

I have incredibly strong, yet mixed, feelings about this book.

The story is excellent and very well told. Tthe characters are wonderful, and the world building is great. The central character is vivacious and intelligent, and her position as someone who is highly individual in a world where conformity is prized is highly relatable for many in this day and age. Through the characters and events of the story, the reader is challenged to consider the complexities of life, loyalty, over
Jo-ann Wong
Jun 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
[Originating from my tumblr/book review site fromthelibrarycatalog.tumblr.com]

I was at BookCon in NYC at the beginning of the month, and I happened across author Dana Fraedrich’s booth. Noted as being similar to “Pride and Prejudice,” but with a steampunk twist, I was immediately intrigued. Upon reading the first few pages, I was drawn into the Broken Gears world, and proceeded to return the next day, in order to buy the rest of the titles that she was selling.

Set in the
Anna Harpe
Aug 23, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book after meeting the lovely author at a convention. I am not generally a fan of female lead fiction, especially ya, but I was intrigued by the world design enough to give it a shot.

Off the bat, I was not disappointed by the world design. It is different and designed well enough it holds up under basic scrutiny. I hope more details will be revealed as the series continues, such as just what happened with the War and how the Enforcers came to such power.

The writing
Therése Åström
Aug 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book. I found myself wanting to be in this world, thinking about it when I was doing other things. I feel like the author has so much to tell and that there’s joy in her storytelling, which pulls me into the story so quickly! I did think it was odd in the beginning, why Lenore got to the Allens in the first place, and that’s the part of the story that for me didn’t quite make sense, but other than that, very excited to continue on with the series!
Kristina Trawick
Love some fine steam punk

Wonderfully woven story of a young woman making her way in a world dominated by men, with bright ideas and a lion's heart. The whole concept of a world with gadgets not the same as, but close to our modern machinery, makes me wish this book was illustrated. 😊
Misty
Aug 08, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a fantastic story, I love Lenore! She is sweet, funny and full of wonder. She retains her innocence throughout the book, despite the sad circumstances that she has to deal with. Dana did an amazing job of adding butterflies-in-the-tummy romance. The plot is well developed with deep suspense that really tied me in emotionally. AMAZING book, I cannot wait for the next installment!
Selah Pike
3.5 stars — I enjoy most of the characters and the world building is great, but there is just so much going on in the book, that I found it difficult to keep track of all the sub plots. I read an interview where Dana said that she took reviewers comments about pacing into consideration when writing the other books in the series, so hopefully I won’t have the same problem with Into the Fire.
Alan T
Dec 23, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lanore, Camille, Mina, Neal,

Lahore is a thief, and is unexpectedly aided to evade capture by Mina and Neal. Later she brings a wounded Enforcer to Mina, who is a doctor. Mina and Neal offer her a chance to escape the streets.

Excellent characterization and plotting.
Mary Beth
Jan 14, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beautifully written.... I just loved following Lenore’s journey and can’t wait to read the next book!
Sabina Tokbergenova
Couldn't finish. So sad. I expected so much from this book.
Jack Graham
Full disclosure: I received a free copy of this book through Goodreads giveaway.

Another genre bending world. This story takes place in an urban setting of a post apocalyptic world where magic might now exist. I do not know what the apocalypse was, but it seems to have been quite some time ago. And as for magic, I haven't seen any spells being cast, but there is a vampire, and there are some hints.

I keep imagining 'Thundar the Barbarian' roaming the frontier badlands while these urba
Dana Fraedrich
Oct 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
What's funny about this book is that I started writing it on a lark. I had a dream one night involving some characters from the Ketty Jay series by Chris Wooding. The settings were very Victorian/back alley/cobblestone streets type of thing. Also in the dream, there was a woman I didn't recognise who'd gotten her had cut off. That was where the inspiration for Gadget in Out of the Shadows. The next day, the dream really stuck with me, so I decided to see if I could write a steampunk novel. I'd h ...more

• Mouse Guard: Legends of the Guard, Vol. 3
  • The Fire King (Alterra Histories, #1)
  • The Kind Folk
  • Mystify (Mystyx, #2)
  • Sisters of the Fire (Blood and Gold, #2)
  • Ghost in the H.A.T.B.O.X. (Hatter Madigan, #1)
  • That Burning Summer
  • The Great Iron War (Books 1 - 3)
  • The Book of Renfield: A Gospel of Dracula
  • The Strain, Book One
  • Dracula's Heir (Interactive Mysteries)
  • In a Time of Treason (Tales of Durand, #2)
  • The Illustrious (The Sublime Electricity, #1)
  • The Red Hourglass (Slaves of the New World #1)
  • Monster High: My Monster Life
  • Return to Fairyopolis (Flower Fairies)
  • Steampunk: The Art of Victorian Futurism
  • Lord of Bones (BloodAngel, #2)
Dana Fraedrich is a dog lover, self-professed geek, and author of the steampunk fantasy series Broken Gears, which includes the Amazon bestseller, Out of the Shadows. Dana's books are full of secrets and colorful characters that examine the many shades of grey that paint the world. When she isn't busy writing or attending book shows and author conferences, she can be found playing video games and ...more

Broken Gears (3 books)
  • Across the Ice (Broken Gears #3)
  • Into the Fire (Broken Gears #2)