Start by marking “If You Lived 100 Years Ago” as Want to Read:
If You Lived 100 Years Ago

If You Lived 100 Years Ago (...If You)

3.92  ·  Rating details ·  112 Ratings  ·  18 Reviews
Readers travel back in time to explore life in New York City 100 years ago, where there's not a television or computer in sight! This illustrated guide reveals how people both rich and poor dressed, traveled, dined, and entertained themselves.
Published September 1st 1999 by Scholastic Paperbacks

To ask other readers questions about If You Lived 100 Years Ago, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about If You Lived 100 Years Ago

Jodotha
This was a pretty good little overview for the younger set. Loved the illustrations. It did, at times, seem a bit biased in favor of pitying the poor and vilifying the wealthy (though under the conditions of the era, I can understand that inclination). I would have preferred the author vary her terminology for the upper class rather than refer to them as "rich people" throughout. However, if the goal is to show kids today how good they have it in comparison to late 19th century era NYC, this sho ...more
Applsd
Dec 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read, a nice long picture book about life in 1900's New York. What I learned corresponds very nicely with the setting of the old public domain books I'm hooked on.
And don't get me started on the illustrations! <3
I'm a sucker for illustrations.
Abby Clark
Feb 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
Shelves: social-studies
This is a great book for children to read to learn about how the people of our country lived in the past. Things were so much different than they were now, so it is definitely an eye opener for children. It is a little bit lengthy, but each section is very interesting to read. Each section has a question like; Who watched the kids? or Where did people shop? This is a good book for any age to learn about how our country has changed over the years.
Lauren Briggs
Feb 10, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: february
I think this is a great book for children to read. Sometimes I don’t think children understand how much things have changed in a hundred years. New technologies have made the living situation much better. I like how they explained that sports were just being invented a hundred years ago and the rich and the poor traveled in very different ways.
Jeremiah
Apr 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-books
A very cool book that teaches a ton of fun facts about the past in a Q & A-style format that makes learning history fun, fun, fun! I started reading this book to my son, and after a while realized that I was engrossed in it and he wasn't even paying attention.
Caroline Dougherty
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! I could spend hours reading this book and digging deeper. It is so cute and I know students would love learning about the life styles of people from 100 years ago and that is what the book focuses on.
Sherri
Dec 19, 2015 rated it really liked it
100 years ago was my grandparents' generation, and some of the things in this book were a part of my own childhood. It's good to know life from not-so-long ago was passed down to me in family traditions and games, recipes, and life-style.
Breanna
Oct 14, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-lit
I found this book extremely interesting. People of all ages can learn something from this book. It would be an excellent book to use when teaching about all of the immigrants that traveled to America.
Kayla Skeans
Feb 28, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: feb
Reading this book was fun, where the book showed what you would have been doing if you were high class or lower class. It also showed that the lower class had less but were humble.
Allison
I support independent bookstores. You can use this link to find one near you: http://www.indiebound.org
Samantha Penrose
Jan 01, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I plan to read many more of these "if you" books with the kids.
Great illustrations, and the information is presented in a fun way.
Jill
May 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved this book. The illustrations will help younger children enjoy the book and really fun and interesting facts are shared. This would be a great book to help children fall in love with history.
Alistair Kessel
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it
Not so good. Because it gave me nightmares.
Jim
Oct 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
v. nice book, lots of pictures and illos. new york at the turn of the century. compares living conditions, food, wages, sports, books etc.
Lettersetc
  • Eleanor
  • Samuel Eaton's Day: A Day in the Life of a Pilgrim Boy
  • A River Ran Wild: An Environmental History
  • A Picture Book of Anne Frank
  • Lives of the Presidents: Fame, Shame (and What the Neighbors Thought)
  • Helen Keller: From Tragedy to Triumph (Childhood of Famous Americans)
  • Annie and the Wild Animals
  • Just a Few Words, Mr. Lincoln
  • Down in New Orleans: Reflections from a Drowned City
  • If You Were At The First Thanksgiving

...If You (1 - 10 of 23 books)
  • If You Sailed On The Mayflower
  • If You Were There When They Signed The Constitution
  • If You Lived In Colonial Times
  • If You Lived In Williamsburg in Colonial Days
  • If You Lived With The Cherokee (...If You)
  • If You Lived With The Sioux Indians