Start by marking “The Big Book of Dashboards: Visualizing Your Data Using Real-World Business Scenarios” as Want to Read:

The definitive reference book with real-world solutions you won't find anywhere else The Big Book of Dashboards presents a comprehensive reference for those tasked with building or overseeing the development of business dashboards.

Comprising dozens of examples that address different industries and departments (healthcare, transportation, finance, human resources, marketing
Published April 24th 2017 by Wiley

To ask other readers questions about The Big Book of Dashboards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Big Book of Dashboards

Start your review of The Big Book of Dashboards: Visualizing Your Data Using Real-World Business Scenarios
Dominiek Leenknecht
Jan 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
Zeer inspirerend boek over hoe je data gebruiks- en leesvriendelijker kunt voorstellen in de vorm van dashboards. Ik had wel last van een "brain explosion"... Te veel creativiteit, te veel ideeën. Eigenlijk moet dit boek gewoon in de buurt liggen van mensen die company dashboards maken, zodat die een uurtje kunnen doorbladeren om ideeën op te doen telkens voor ze concreet aan de slag gaan...
Felix
When on a mission to build a dashboard that either summarizes your data, shows progress towards a goal or even displays KPIs, where do you start? Do you just combine a couple of charts together and call it a dashboard? What is the best practice? These are some of the challenges that the authors of The Big Book of Dashboards: Visualizing Your Data Using Real-World Business Scenarios set to address. Here is a book on real world dashboard examples and an in-depth analysis on why they succeed.

Thoug
Nick
Jan 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: presentations
It had great examples, but I was looking for more theory and explanation on the purpose of dashboards and what they should try to convey to an audience. Storytelling with Data was a stronger book in that regard.
Tung
Oct 16, 2017 rated it really liked it
I look at numbers for a living. Part of my job is creating visual dashboards of data and looking at other organizations’ dashboards. What I’ve learned over twenty years of doing this is that there are clear differences between good dashboards and bad ones. This book does a tremendous job of discussing this very fact. The authors are Tableau experts who create dashboards professionally. In the first part of their book, they walk through same basic dos and don’ts of data visualization (e.g. pie gr ...more
Aprisa
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: informatics, data, design
The book is written with friendly language and daily examples, not for an advanced dashboard or data visualization developer/designer. Easy to understand even if you are a beginner in data visualization and analysis. As a data person, I read this book to confirm my apprehension of data visualization and dashboard, as well as to give structure to my current (and messy) experience-acquired understanding on dashboard and data visualization. Though I don't get the structure I thought I would (becaus ...more
Joe
Nov 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Repetitive, but also pretty definitive. It's nice that it even has a section at the end for "what if my boss insists upon using pie charts?"

You only need three books on data visualization, and this is one of them. It explains recurring data visualization best (you should only build dashboards for questions that need to be monitored, not for questions that only need to be answered once). The other two are Visualize This (for exploratory analysis that only needs to be answered once) and Storytelli
Laurie Shook
Apr 28, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Excellent book. I regret letting it set on my shelf for two years before reading. There are so many examples of various dashboards of all types, in all kinds of industries. The authors explain reasons why the examples work, and alternate approaches to the charts. I learned a lot, and am now well-armed to ask intelligent questions to develop intelligent designs when someone asks for “cool dashboards.” Many biggest takeaways: 1) What is the problem the user is trying to solve? 2) How sophisticated ...more
Songhua
Aug 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Ok wow this is indeed a BIG book, with 600+ pages of content. I am impressed that there is a huge variety of examples covered across different industries - sales, energy, healthcare, hospitality, media, telecommunications, sports etc., so there is a pretty good chance something relevant to your industry is covered. Overall, it's easy to understand, and a good resource to sharpen the basics of data visualisation. However, I took 1 star away as the book focused on telling you what you should or sh ...more
Sakib
Nov 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
If you need a book that will give you ideas for how to build appealing dashboards (and you like Tableau), then this is a great book for you. It has lots of useful examples of good dashboards that may be used in a variety of circumstances. Quite good for dashboard-building professionals.

I found the introduction a little sparse in visual analytics theory: the stuff that was covered very much like a Stephen Few book. But for the target audience, a great read nonetheless.
Kyle Soule
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is filled with interesting ideas and thoughtful analysis of variance dashboards. I felt a few of the presentations were changed for the sake of change and a few were not even improvements. Overall, Wexler gave me plenty to think about when designing my next dashboard and I'm happy I spent time with this book.
Sweemeng Ng
Sep 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Very good reference on dashboard design, it covers example dashboard and how it can be used. It also covers why a technique work, and doesn't work. It doesn't cover step by step, but it does cover some fundamentals. very nice
Michael Olesen
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Not only did this book give me some ideas on how to represent data more effectively, but it was a very interesting read. If you need to provide audiences with data in a way that they can understand the key pieces of information, this is well worth your time.
Vivian Nguyen
Aug 10, 2017 rated it really liked it
I think the first part of the book is excellent because it gives readers a foundation to build upon. The book would have been better if the actual files to the dashboards are downloadable.
Clayton Perkins
Aug 04, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This should be on the shelf of any data visualization specialist.
Amy
Jul 14, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: abandoned
It was a good book to think about how to use visual dashboards, and how to set them up. A good book for the right person that needs it.
Craig Rice
Mar 10, 2019 rated it really liked it
Skimmed large parts, but a great overview and discussion of data visualization dashboards.
Benjamin
May 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Relevant real examples

Great resource on best practices and example dashboards. Also enjoyed guidance that dashboards must be a living document. Highly recommended
Danny Huffman

• Storytelling with Data: A Data Visualization Guide for Business Professionals
  • Information Dashboard Design: The Effective Visual Communication of Data
  • Naked Statistics: Stripping the Dread from the Data
  • Effective Data Visualization: The Right Chart for the Right Data
  • Good Charts: The HBR Guide to Making Smarter, More Persuasive Data Visualizations
  • The Visual Display of Quantitative Information
  • Python for Data Analysis
  • Practical Statistics for Data Scientists: 50 Essential Concepts
  • The Data Visualization Sketchbook
  • Dear Data
  • #MakeoverMonday: Improving How We Visualize and Analyze Data, One Chart at a Time
  • Data Science for Business: What you need to know about data mining and data-analytic thinking
  • Practical Tableau: 100 Tips, Tutorials, and Strategies from a Tableau Zen Master
  • Information is Beautiful
  • Hands-On Machine Learning with Scikit-Learn and TensorFlow
  • The Wall Street Journal Guide to Information Graphics: The Dos and Don'ts of Presenting Data, Facts, and Figures
  • The Weather Machine: A Journey Inside the Forecast
  • Eleanor and Hick: The Love Affair That Shaped a First Lady

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »