Start by marking “Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)” as Want to Read:
Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist, #2)

Smoke in the Sun (Flame in the Mist #2)

3.91  ·  Rating details ·  3,626 Ratings  ·  677 Reviews
After Okami is captured in the Jukai forest, Mariko has no choice--to rescue him, she must return to Inako and face the dangers that have been waiting for her in the Heian Castle. She tricks her brother, Kenshin, and betrothed, Raiden, into thinking she was being held by the Black Clan against her will, playing the part of the dutiful bride-to-be to infiltrate the emperor' ...more
Published June 5th 2018 by G.P. Putnam's Sons Books for Young Readers

War Storm by Victoria AveyardThe Cruel Prince by Holly BlackA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa TahirQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareObsidio by Amie Kaufman
YA Novels of 2018
971 books — 4,503 voters
Kingdom of Ash by Sarah J. MaasA Court of Frost and Starlight by Sarah J. MaasQueen of Air and Darkness by Cassandra ClareWar Storm by Victoria AveyardA Reaper at the Gates by Sabaa Tahir
Can't Wait Books of 2018
1,125 books — 4,334 voters

More lists with this book...

Emily May
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult, fantasy, arc, 2018
It was a night for magic. A night swirling with mystery, an unknowable energy pulsing in its depths.

Okay, I'm going to be honest about something: I remember enjoying the arc I read of Flame in the Mist last year but, before reading this book, I couldn't remember anything that happened. In fact, I wasn't sure I was going to continue with the duology. When I was lucky enough to get an arc of this sequel, I figured I'd just give it a shot.

And it all came flooding back to me in a stream of drama,
Lola
Who invented duologies?

No, but really, since when is it okay for a series with such unique content and loveable characters to end so soon?

Yes, I am in mourning. I should be celebrating, because that ending is priceless, the author wrapped things up very nicely, but instead I am suffering from Flame in the Mist withdrawal. Just when you start caring for the protagonists so much… they are stolen away from you.

Hatred for duologies aside, I have to admit I admire Renée Ahdieh for knowing when to s
Warda
May 25, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
“She would not turn back on what defined her…”

It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t the best it could’ve been for me. I felt like it almost lulled into a false sense of security, because the beginning was that good.

Firstly, this book had quite a few typos. Editors, what the hell?!
Secondly, it started off great. I was so excited to be back in this world again as I loved Flame in the Mist.

At the beginning of the story, we were re-introduced to the characters again (and others), their struggles, and their
destini mia
Jun 18, 2017 marked it as to-read
that feeling when you finished book 1 and realize book 2 probably won't be out for another year at least and that you've played yourself

why would i do myself like this
jessica
Jul 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
renee ahdieh is the queen of duologies. she has mastered the art of giving just enough of the story to satisfy the reader - not too much, and not too little; just the right amount.

it felt like this was the yin to the ‘flame in the mist’ yang. where the first book was very fast paced and daring, this was more calm and calculating. so neat how one whole story can come together with two completely different halves.

and whilst i am more than satisfied with the conclusion of this story, i cant help
Reynita Maharani ★ The Night Reader ★
THE REVIEW IS POSTED

Flame in the Mist : ★★★★ my review
Smoke in the Sun : ★★★

3,7 STARS

"I would rather die for
love than stand by and watch my love perish."

My Opinion Time!

To be honest, I still can't believe that I have finished reading this book because I remember reading the first book months ago and I loved it and after I finished reading the first book, I felt like there was something missing inside of me and the sequel would fill this missing piece in me. So I was really excited and ha
April
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do wish this series was a trilogy though.
destiny ☠ howling libraries
I love this cover, and I love the fact that it's got this gorgeous woman of color on it, and I love that Renee herself had a hand in ensuring that the color scheme still complimented the US hardback of the first book just so people wouldn't feel like their covers mismatched. <3 Precious.
Alyssa
Update (October 2017): I'm pretty sure this book's publication date is now June 5, 2018 (not May 1st) and now I'm sad. 😭😭😭😭 Need need need need neeeeeeedddddd.

Update (August 2017): THE TITLE IS SMOKE IN THE SUN OMG!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

Update (April 2017): I'VE READ THE FIRST BOOK AND YUP THAT ENDING THAT BOOK THAT ROMANCE THAT OKAMI I NEED EVERYTHING TO BE OKAYYYYYYYYYYYY. *grabby hands*

August 2016:

HAVEN'T EVEN READ THE FIRST BOOK BUT WANT THIS SO BADLY!!!!!!!

Sara
Apr 27, 2018 rated it really liked it
I received a copy of this book in exchange for an honest review.

A wonderful conclusion to a duology that’s built upon its predecessor to create a magical world with colourful characters set against the backdrop of Feudal Japan. The story follows almost immediately after the conclusion of Flame in the Mist, with little time to catch your breath before the action begins. We find Mariko being transported to the Emperors palace to meet her future husband, the emperor’s eldest illegitimate son Raide
Elena May
Jan 27, 2018 marked it as to-read
I don't normally comment on book covers, but am I the only one who thinks the colors don't work together?

I see they were going for a red heart, but yellow dragons would look much better against the purple background, in my opinion. Or maybe light pink dragons?
Beth
Thank you to NetGally for providing an arc in exchange for an honest review.

4 Stars!

“She would not turn her back on what defined her, even if others perceived it as a weakness."

I originally didn’t know what to think going into this, I thought Flame in the Mist was okay, and had no idea where the journey would take us, but this was SO good! I have to admit I had hit a bit of a reading slump part way through this for a number of reasons, I wasn’t as engaged as what I would of liked. There’s a lot
Suzanne
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This one was more political than Flame in the Mist. However, like Flame in the Mist it had some really awesome moments throughout the book. I really enjoyed this duology more than I thought I would when Flame in the Mist first came out. In my opinion, the characters had a lot more depth and detail to them than in the first book. I did have a couple moments when it was a bit blah for me but there were way more awesome moments that make those blah moments worth it. Those last few chapters were com ...more
Beatrice (beatriceinbookland)
"This was what it meant to be truly free. To be herself and no one else.
To be loved as she was."

1) Flame in the mist ★★★★★

4.5

First things first: why didn't I five Smoke in the sun five full stars?
Well, there's only one thing Renee Ahdieh needs to work on: how to write endings. Seriously, she has written two amazing duologues but both of them had incredibly rushed endings. Plus, the epilogues are always too short. For example, here we don't know what happened to Yumi or Kenshin, two very importan
Manisha
Actual review: 4.5

““Everything in life began with an idea.”

What an idea this book was. Smoke in the Sun is the second and final book in the Flame in the Mist duology, a tale inspired by the story of Mulan.

I found this book to be an entertaining, somewhat complex, and a feminist portrayal of character study that surpassed my expectations. I can’t help but state the one compliment that is hard to bestow onto YA books in general:

I did not see this coming.The story surprised me. The characters, th
Dannii Elle
Actual rating 3.75/5 stars.

Smoke in the Sun is the second book in the Flame in the Mist duology. This final instalment continues to follow Mariko, fiercely independent in a world that expects its females to be anything but. This fantasy, inspired by Feudal Japan, focuses on both the shifting allegiances and political intrigue of the Emperor's court, as well as the wider tribulations, troubling the kingdom.

Before beginning this book I only had the vaguest recollection of the first one. I could re
may ❀
description
me trying to figure out where this book went wrong

basic log of how it went:
first 100 pages: i am confusion
page 101 to 300: i sTaN
page 301 to 380: wait what???!!??
page 381 till the end: how bloody effing convenient

i have nothing else to say besides, where were there so many characters and why did i remember none?

♠️ Tabi = 타비 ♠️
description

Update: 8/12/17

*screeches like an excited pterodactyl*

HOUSTON, WE HAVE A TITLE AND A BLURB!!!!

Update: 1/13/18

Ok so I hope this is just a temp cover because, yeah I guess it's kinda pretty, but guys I AM NOT HAPPY WITH THIS send help.

Angelica
Real Rating: 2.75

Last year I read the first book in this duology, Flame in the Mist. I liked it. It was alright. I gave it three stars. I also had so many questions in terms of worldbuilding and the magic system. I also had some problems with the oh, so intelligent main character, Mariko. Still, I was interested enough to read this book and see how it all ended.

Now, I must say, I'm only slightly more a fan of Mariko, and I still have so many questions about worldbuilding and the magic system. He
Cora ☕ Tea Party Princess
5 Words: Family, loyalty, attraction, betrayal, power.

THIS is how you write a second book. It was wonderful and I enjoyed it so much more than the first.

As I started this book I was like "help, what happened in the first one?" and I searched for recaps. Because you have to have read the first book to read this one, it picks back up only days after the first and there is very little reflection on what happened previously.

I really feel that Mariko grew and changed so much in this book, even more t
Lu
Jan 04, 2018 marked it as to-read
Shelves: not-out-yet
Please tell me this is just the UK cover and they will come out with another to match US/hardback-Flame in the Mist please
Please tell me this is not a cover change
Please it's 2o18 dammit,
I thought we were freaking done with cover changing

Please?
Sepani
The world building was great where I felt that I was consumed by the authors writing skills.

The book is really good except the fact that I got confused with the names….
Amelia Oswald
Jun 09, 2017 marked it as to-read
06/01/2018 : Eh I don't know about the cover though... There didn't have a face in book 1 why added it in book 2 huh ?
Sophie Elaina
This was a glorious part two to a wonderful duology!

The characters were by far my favourite aspect of this book. The protagonist Mariko is clever and strong willed, making for a powerful character to read about.
So often 'strong women' in literature are portrayed quite literally with actual strong physical skill and strength and that's great but you can be strong in other ways than physically! I can't relate as much to that as to a character that is strong mentally or intellectually or even emoti
-S♡
Jun 07, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
★4 Stars! Smoke In The Sun...
“Ingenuity could be a weapon, in all its forms. Her mind could be a sword. Her voice could be an axe. Her fury could ignite a fire.”

description

My favorite quotes from this book:

1. “It had taken her losing everything she knew to finally understand. Feeling pain and sorrow was not at all a sign of weakness.
It was a sign of love.”

2. “As swift as the wind, as silent as the forest, as fierce as the fire, as unshakable as the mountain.”

3. “A thing of beauty
A love stronger than fear a
Joshua Gabriel (조수아)
Ingenuity could be a weapon, in all its forms. Her mind could be a sword. Her voice could be an axe. Her anger could ignite a fire.

RTC
Maggie ☘ (Reader in Wonderland)
Do you know this one deep quote which tries so hard to be dramatically meaningful but fails miserably. Ends up being pretentious and so full of itself it can't even see the light of day anymore?

(Hello to John Green's books btw!)

This duology start to finish is just like that one dreadful quote.

Meh. I probably shouldn't have expected anything better than book one which I also gave 2 stars to. This one was actually weaker than the first book in terms of the plot. I way disinterested in both the c
Sarah Ann
Jul 30, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A stunning sequel to Flame in the Mist and a great conclusion to the duology! The world building was well done, the writing is still as gorgeous as in the first book and the characters had a lot more depth which allowed the reader to get to know them more. This was slightly different from the first, there was a lot more politics, betrayal, plotting and slightly less action but I still felt that it was really refreshing.

I was really surprised that I ended up liking Raiden a lot more than I did at
Adah Udechukwu
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Smoke in the Sun was well written. It was a spectacular sequel.
Read with Tessa: June BOTM Giveaway 10 53 Jun 11, 2018 01:21AM
The Fandom: Smoke in the Sun Discussion 1 8 Jun 10, 2018 06:17PM
Read with Tessa: Smoke in the Sun by Renee Ahdieh 1 15 Jun 06, 2018 06:00PM
THE WRATH & THE DAWN and its sequel THE ROSE & THE DAGGER are available wherever books are sold.

FLAME IN THE MIST will be released on 5.16.17.

** Please note that requests for Advanced Reader Copies should be made through Penguin, and all other requests should be submitted through the author's website. **
More about Renee Ahdieh

Flame in the Mist (2 books)
  • Flame in the Mist (Flame in the Mist, #1)
“Everything in life began with an idea.” 8 likes