Start by marking “He Said/She Said” as Want to Read:
He Said/She Said

He Said/She Said

3.84  ·  Rating details ·  27,854 ratings  ·  2,940 reviews
In the summer of 1999, Kit and Laura travel to a festival in Cornwall to see a total eclipse of the sun. Kit is an eclipse chaser; Laura has never seen one before. Young and in love, they are certain this will be the first of many they’ll share.

But in the hushed moments after the shadow passes, Laura interrupts a man and a woman. She knows that she saw something terrible.
Published April 20th 2017 by Hodder & Stoughton

To ask other readers questions about He Said/She Said, please sign up.
jendlo Writing this for anyone viewing your question, because I figure you already finished/abandoned it.
It’s twisty throughout the last quarter of the book …more
It’s twisty throughout the last quarter of the book (from the Third Contact section on). If one fast-forwards to Chapter 45, one might catch on to what one missed in between. But the whole point of reading a story like this, with alternating POV (hence the book title!), is to experience the slow build to the twists and turns — not to plow through it to get to one at the end. ;)(less)
Adam Cook Out of curiosity, why would profanity be an issue? I can't imagine a pre-comprehensive school age child would pick it up.

·  27,854 ratings  ·  2,940 reviews

Start your review of He Said/She Said
Chelsea Humphrey
Jan 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Chelsea by: Minotaur Books
Shelves: from-publisher
This was the last piece of book mail that I received before we made the big move to Virginia in February, and I’m ashamed that it has taken me so long to dust it off my shelf and read it. I had seen numerous raving reviews featuring He Said/She Said, especially early on from my UK friends as they tend to get all the best books across the pond first, but I still wasn’t entirely sure what to expect based on the very brief blurb and cryptic reviews I scoured on Goodreads. I’m entirely grateful for ...more
Elyse  Walters
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was ok
MORE thanks to the public library.....
It's over 100 degrees this weekend in San Jose, California...making it impossible for me to sleep any longer. I was asleep by 8:15pm last night -- so luckily I got almost 7 hours of sleep.....

I picked up my Kindle next to my bed to begin reading one of the ebook library books I recently checked out.

I USUALLY DON'T bother to write reviews for books I don't finish --but I'm making an exception tonight -at 2:30am.

And this is why I'm discovering HOW MUCH I'm e
Larry H
May 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
I'd rate this 4.5 stars.

Now that's the way you do a thriller.

Kit and Laura are young and newly in love in the summer of 1999. Kit, who has been chasing solar eclipses since his childhood, convinces Laura to join him on a trek to Cornwall for a festival, during which they're expected to see a total eclipse of the sun. While the weather doesn't quite cooperate to give them the full eclipse experience, it still wows Laura, as she truly understands why Kit finds these events so mesmerizing, and lov
Always Pouting
Jul 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
So I don't think there's any way I can talk about this book without spoiling it so uh just don't read anything if you don't want to know. Like I'm going to candidly mention the twist so just heads up.

Laura and Kit are married and have been in hiding for years. After witnessing a crime during an eclipse festival they went to together, things change for them as a new person enter their life, driving the two closer together as they bond over their shared trauma. Can I just say that I did enjoy this
Deanna
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
My reviews can also be seen at: https://deesradreadsandreviews.wordpr...

4.5 Stars!

When I read the description for He Said/She Said sometime last year, I knew it was a book that I had to read. I was positive I was going to like it. However, with all of the hype I started to worry that I was expecting too much. Over a year later I finally had my hands on it and was excited to start reading.

The book opens with two women standing in a restroom, side by side at the sinks in front of the mirror. They
Paromjit
Feb 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a dark, murky and atmospheric psychological thriller, it is a tale of Laura and her boyfriend, Kit, chasing an eclipse in Cornwall where Laura happens to see a violent attack being carrried out on Beth by Jamie. Laura insists on calling the police. A traumatic and brutal court case ensues with Jamie on trial for rape. Laura is the only eye witness. Jamie's family are there to support him and the defence run Beth ragged, it becoming a case of he said, she said. Jamie finally ends up being ...more
Matt
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Matt by: Laura Rash
Shelves: audiobook
In a book that has garnered much attention on Goodreads, Erin Kelly treats the reader to a unique spin on an oft presented scenario. Splitting the story between an evolving past narrative and one set in 2015, Kelly leaves the reader unsure where to focus much of their attention. A complete solar eclipse is days away, which has Kit making all the last-minute preparations for an event he has marvelled seeing since 1991. Less excited is his wife, Laura, who is six months pregnant with twins. Their ...more
Maxine (Booklover Catlady)
Freaking fantastic! Those twists! I'm reeling from how good this book was. Seriously awesome stuff. This one is escapism gold!

I am almost speechless from the ending.

This is a well executed book that lacks nothing. The plot is clever, intricate and sucks you in bit by bit. You will feel so many different feelings reading this book. At least I hope you do - I did.

Kit and Laura. A young couple in love. Kit is an eclipse chaser - travelling around to the best world vantage points to see a solar ecl
Norma
It was definitely a rewarding experience for me to have gone into this book totally blind!

HE SAID/SHE SAID by ERIN KELLY is a slow-building, dark, and twisted psychological thriller that is cleverly formatted into parts that conforms to the five stages of a total eclipse of the sun. With each phase of the eclipse more details are revealed to us.

This book started off a little bit slow and tedious for me as the information and details that were given regarding eclipses didn’t really hold my inte
Carol
...."Something and someone is always in the dark."

....The beginning....defines the five stages of a total eclipse....the next one being August 21, 2017 by the way, and we just happen to be right in the path of totality at its thickest....so cool.

....Anyway, Kit and Laura are a match made in heaven....the real deal....and they happen to be eclipse freaks. (especially Kit) Even with limited funds, they travel around for the amazing experience of it all....so fun....until the incident....until thei

Meredith
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
He Said/She Said is a slow building psychological thriller filled with crazy characters and some surprising twists and turns.

The narrative is divided up into parts that correlate to the stages of a total eclipse of the sun.
In 1999, college sweethearts Kit and Laura attend an eclipse festival in Cornwall where they interrupt a rape. Laura befriends the victim, Beth. After testifying at Beth’s trial, Laura and Kit think that they are though with this horrible event. However, Beth inserts herself
Jennifer Masterson
Jun 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2017, audio
I'm done. I can't go any further. This is just toooo slow for me. DNF at 35%. The writing is good and so is the narration. This is the audio version. I'm wondering if it is better in hardcopy.
Kaceey
Apr 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: netgalley
Just as there are different phases in an eclipse, so are there different phases to this book!

Eclipse chasers Kit and Laura are set to experience their first eclipse together at one of many festivals held around the world. For the couple this will be the adventure of a lifetime, special memories to be shared between them both. Perhaps even some day with their children. (If they make it that far). Instead, what they witness will change their lives forever.

Told from both Kit and Laura's p.o.v, th
Susanne  Strong
Jun 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: netgalley
3.25 Stars* (rounded down)

Has there ever been one single event that shaped the course of your life thereafter? One event that you couldn't erase or hide from no matter how hard you tried? One where you thought to yourself, if only I'd gone left instead of right? .. but alas, we do not get to have do overs, and neither do Kit and Laura, who were faced with such an event in 1999, and as of 2015, they have yet to escape its aftermath.

As of 2015, Kit and Laura are a married couple, who, after being
L A i N E Y
But at the base-rock level of morality, I felt no guilt. My lie was a route to the truth: therefore, truth it was.

This book had done such weird shit on me - not until the very the last sentence did I ever imagine, for all the 400 pages of it, that (view spoiler) would be the one character who I recoiled from the most. It’s inexplicable. Even to myself. Considering other obvious bullshit, fucked up mess going on in the story. But there you go.

The sharp writing, r
Sarah Joint
Jun 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Five stars. This book is spell-binding. The characters are memorable, the twists are well-executed, and the whole story is just completely absorbing and clever. Do not spoil this book for yourself! You'll regret it if you do. The timelines and perspectives jump back and forth, but the author actually managed to accomplish that in a way that never confused me. Very impressive.

Kit and Laura are young and in love. Seemingly made for each other, in a way that would make others envious. Not long aft
Melisa
May 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I am going to go there and say it: this is the best book of 2017 thus far, in my humble opinion.

The story is told in alternating pov’s and timelines from the two main characters, which is necessary and effective in the case of this story. Briefly, there are two witnesses to the aftermath of a sexual assault, and this is the story of how it affects the lives of all involved. This is strong subject matter, and the words within this book are powerful - the writing is great, the character developmen
Diane S ☔
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
3.5 Laura and Kit share a love of eclipses, travel all over to find the best spot to witness them, it is where they meet and fall in love. When Laura witnesses something horrible at one of the eclipse festivals she is unprepared for all the changes her life will take as a direct result of this.

I have read all but one of the books written by this author and found them all very readable, suspenseful, love how she tackles different themes in each. In this one there are the moral questions of when
Zoeytron
Jun 06, 2017 rated it really liked it
Copy furnished by Net Galley for the price of a review.

A story of obsession, lies, and crippling paranoia. Someone is dancing dangerously close to the edge of madness. This one is made for those who prefer their psychological disquiet to slowly simmer before it breaks into a rolling boil. The title is right on the money.

Eclipses are cool, and this story is stellar.
karen
May 15, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
fulfilling my 2019 goal to read (at least) one book each month that i bought in hardcover and put off reading long enough that it is now in paperback.

this is a slight deviation from the goal, because it was a present, not one i bought myself. the lesson i'm trying to teach myself with this project is DON'T SPEND MONEY FOR NO REASON, DUMMY! WAIT FOR PAPERBACK! LEARN RESTRAINT!

but it is equally shitty a character trait to not read books when they are prezzies.

my composition = 20% bone and skin ma
leslie
Feb 03, 2020 rated it liked it
A riveting beginning which collapsed at the end. I was engrossed thinking I had found a winner only to struggle to finish the ridiculous and implausible ending. Could have been a five star without the "twist". Stay on plot authors!
Perhaps I am too tough, as the beginning two thirds were wonderful, the ending was a disappointment. I commend the author but it wasn't my favorite. Apologies.
Malia
Aug 06, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery-suspense
Hm... I really wanted to love this the way most readers here seem to, but something about it fell flat for me. I listened to the audiobook, and though the narrators were fine, maybe that had something to do with my disconnect to the story. Or maybe it simply wasn't for me. That being said, it was not bad, and the writing was genuinely good. Still, while I could feel sympathy for their troubles, the characters felt whiny and not very likable. For me, it also felt fairly slow-paced, which I was no ...more
Richard
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it
Shelves: thrillers-uk
The story begins at a music festival on the Lizard, Cornwall in 1999. An event celebrating the total eclipse of the sun.
I remember this occasion well ........
I managed a roadside restaurant in Devon at the time and it felt like the entire population had traveled down to the West Country to witness the event (the best place in the U.K. to see the eclipse)
I can still see the cloudy skies, the darkness that eerily engulfed us and the strange silence that followed as everything came to a standstill.
Jennifer ~ TarHeelReader
May 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: arcs
He Said/She Said has been touted as THE psychological thriller of the summer, and it is receiving a huge amount of positive publicity. I am excited to say that, for me, this book completely lived up to its reputation. The tension hooked me early on, built quickly, and was steady throughout. It had everything I love in a thriller- the perfect pacing, fleshed out characters, mounting tension, great writing, an original plot, a twist I did not see coming; it really was the perfect read. The plot wa ...more
Brenda - Traveling Sisters Book Reviews
He Said/She Said is a gripping, intriguing, and a slow-paced tangled story of lies, secrets, and deceit that had me turning the pages as fast as I could and I finished reading this story in 24 hours.

Erin Kelly gives the story the right balance of layers needed to drive this plot using clues instead of motives. Creating believable characters that allowed me to piece together the twist to this story and leaving me feeling quite clever. This doesn’t happen very often.

The story alternates from the
Liz Barnsley
Out of all the 2017 books I’ve read so far, with a fair few sitting on my shelf still, I think He Said She Said by Erin Kelly probably has had the biggest emotional impact. Not in a loud and sudden way that disappears almost immediately (although there is a moment in this book where that happens too) but in the way my mind has quietly wandered back to contemplate the nuances, to think about consequences and to wonder at life.

He Said She Said is beautifully atmospheric, the backdrop of eclipse ch
Elle (TheBookishActress)
Listen. I really really liked this book. But I also cannot say that much about it. I cannot. It would not be safe. So this review will be short and sweet! I hope.

This book follows a couple who are hiding their identities. You know nothing about why, you know nothing about what happened - you just know they’re on the run. And you can feel the fear.

This is an incredibly slow-burn thriller that plays primarily with character dynamics and fear over who we can trust, and listen, I get it, that’s not
Peter
Feb 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: thriller
Accusation
The story starts with an 'alleged' sexual attack on Beth by Jamie, a guy from a well-off and influential family. The incident is partially witnessed by Laura and close behind by her boyfriend Kit. That is the essence of the book - was it rape or consensual sex - he said consensual, she said rape. The saga then unfolders, over two time periods - 15 years apart, between these 4 characters, and their ever-changing relationships and fears. Who is the one with the obsessive behaviour and
❄️BooksofRadiance❄️
4.5⭐️

If I could sum up this book in one sentence it’d be - a misdirection at its absolute finest.

What the actual fuck. Those twists, even for me were too messed up to foresee. I thought I knew all. I knew shit. Literally nothing!

High intrigue. Weird AF twists. Good pacing. I went into this prepared for a 3-star read. At best. But all in all, better than what I’d expected. So much better.
Holly  B

Strange things happen during an eclipse... and this book is all about eclipses.

Laura and her boyfriend Kit are attending an eclipse festival. The paths of their lives are forever changed when Laura becomes a witness to an attack that night and asks Kit to go after the accused attacker.

The police are called and after charges are filed and arrest and trial take place. The prosecutor questions the defendant, Jamie. "You have a history of pursuing what you feel entitled to, regardless of
Keto Power Slim 1 3 Oct 06, 2019 05:37AM
https://www.herculessecret.com/reddit-keto-diet/ 1 9 Oct 04, 2018 05:20AM
2020 Reading Chal...: This topic has been closed to new comments. He Said/She Said 8 198 Jul 12, 2018 01:41AM
He said She said 7 139 May 28, 2018 01:50AM
Goodreads Librari...: Please Upload Cover 2 27 Jan 19, 2017 08:27PM

• Blood Orange
  • Friend Request
  • Let Me Lie
  • Close to Home (DI Adam Fawley, #1)
  • Together
  • Our House
  • The Hunting Party
  • The Child (Kate Waters, #2)
  • The Holiday
  • The Girlfriend
  • Snap
  • Anatomy of a Scandal
  • Watching You
Erin Kelly was born in London in 1976 and grew up in Essex. She read English at Warwick University and has been working as a journalist since 1998.

She has written for newspapers including the The Sunday Times, The Sunday Telegraph, the Daily Mail and the Express and magazines including Red, Psychologies, Marie Claire, Elle and Cosmopolitan.