Start by marking “This Hostile Land” as Want to Read:
This Hostile Land

This Hostile Land

3.82  ·  Rating details ·  11 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
“It's here, Dan, and we've got to face it. We can't run from it—not like your Pa. We've got to stick things out, no matter how hard it gets, no matter how much they take.” Reese leaned forward, moving his calloused hands over the boy's. “For your Ma's sake, if for nothing else.”

Reese Davern finds himself back in Wyoming, summoned by a desperate letter from his sister. But
Published August 8th 2016 by KDP

To ask other readers questions about This Hostile Land, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about This Hostile Land

Faith
Miss Willowy's stories never fail to amaze me and cause my heart to race! This Hostile Land was no exception. It was, quite literally, the perfect western short-story.

Not that I consider myself an expert on westerns, but this is superb. Gunfights, nasty villains, danger, thrill, and excitement! All written in such a vivid, depictive style. Ahhh, I loved this story. <3

Reese was my favorite (of course). He's somewhat like the typical hero-cowboy, but he doesn't drink, cuss, and carouse. Instea
J.C.
Aug 09, 2016 rated it liked it
Quite an interesting new read from Willowy Whisper! This story displayed great lengths of talent and true skill from the author. From an objective point of view this story was done very well, very realistic, very well plotted and pulled together well.

However, for me personally I did not enjoy this as much as the author’s other works simply because the violence level was more than I am accustomed to reading and a bit much for me. Make no mistake, it was done extremely realistic, and it was not re
Kellyn Roth

Awesome short story in every way except the end. I was confused by it, and I still don't quite understand what was going to happen or how it was going to happen. It was too sudden for me, I guess. Other than that, would have gotten five stars!

Find the full review here!

~Kellyn Roth, Reveries Reviews
Willowy Whisper
Aug 09, 2016 added it  ·  (Review from the author)
This Hostile Land is a 5,441 word short story, and takes place in Wyoming, 1911. It is a fictional western, bringing to life the hostile struggle between cattlemen and sheepherders. No romance, no profanity, and no sexual content; intended for ages twelve and up, although there is a lot of violence.
Ivy Rose
Oct 06, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Willowy Whisper is a powerful writer, no doubt about it. The strength of her writing sucks you in and forces you to think, breathe, and feel the character. This story is no different. Though it was a little shorter than I would have liked (personal opinion!), I enjoyed it while it lasted. :)
Jesseca Wheaton
Aug 09, 2016 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this short story. The way Willowy writes never fails to draw you into the world of the book. I have to say, I enjoyed this short story even more because of the fact that there was no romance. It was a nice, serious story,. right when I needed to read one. The characters were very well done, as was the setting. I only wish it would have been a bit longer, since it seemed to end abruptly. Other then that, I really enjoyed this story, and I can't wait to read more stories like it b ...more
Sarah Grace
Jan 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Ages 14+ for violence
Rating: 3

Hmm. That was interesting. I enjoyed the first part of this book, the suspense was good, and kept me reading. Being a short story, there wasn't a lot of set up, but it wasn't hard to get into the story. The characters were quite good; I especially liked Dan. It is a rather tragic story, that I felt could have ended on a happier note. The ending felt rather sudden, like I was missing a page or two.

CONTENT NOTE: There is a decent amount of violence, (view spoiler)
Emily
Apr 16, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction
{4.5}

The author has a way of writing that really draws you in and makes the story come alive with descriptions and details that paint the story in your mind. Her writing style is just beautiful!
This Hostile Land is a western short. It's well-written but includes quite a bit of violence and tension for readers under 12 or so. The ending is also a bit abrupt, but overall was a good quick read.
I hope to read more from this author soon!
Bethany
Aug 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
This unusual Wild West story far surpassed my expectations of it. I was pleasantly surprised at the interesting plot and different characters. The ending was what I had hoped would happen, although it did seem a little too sudden, and the events seemed to move a bit too quickly; however, the descriptions and dialogue were very good and well-written, and added a certain suspense to this book, which I thought was brilliant. It was also really nice to read a story that had absolutely no romance in ...more
Dee Farrell
Lulu D.
Mar 03, 2018
Ruby Mae O'Dell
Mar 20, 2018
Willowy Whisper is a young Christian fiction author. She lives somewhere in the middle of nowhere, smack-dab in the country hills of West Virginia. She is the author of nine novels, eight of which are published, and numerous short stories. She is also a born-again believer in Jesus Christ, an incurable romantic, and a passionate dreamer. To follow her, visit her blog at www.willowywhisper.com.
More about Willowy Whisper
“Reese sucked in a breath and played faster, hurling the anger through his fingers until it spun all his
fear, all his rage, into the gentle voice of music.”
58 likes
“The silence was worse than the gunshots. The wait worse than the confusion. The forebode worse
than any danger.”