Start by marking “The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth” as Want to Read:
The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth

The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth

Tackling relationships, career, and family issues, John Kim, LMFT, thinks of himself as a life-style designer, not a therapist. His radical new approach, that he sometimes calls self-help in a shot glass is easy, real, and to the point. He helps people make changes to their lives so that personal growth happens organically, just by living.
Let s face it, therapy is a luxur
Published April 18th 2017 by Parallax Press

To ask other readers questions about The Angry Therapist, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Angry Therapist

Start your review of The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth
Michelle
Apr 17, 2017 rated it really liked it
With the negativity associated with anger, a question remained: can an angry therapist really help anyone at all? “The Angry Therapist: A No BS Guide to Finding and Living Your Own Truth” is written by John Kim, a licensed marriage and family therapist in Los Angeles, CA. In the introduction Kim compared self-help books to bacon: they were fat, slippery, greasy, and easy to forget. He hopes readers will find his book a positive informative change from the self-help genre often represented.

In hi
Toyin A
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
The description of this book appealed to me a lot - “A no BS guide to finding and living your own truth”. There is nothing else for me to add to that description. This book is all that and more.

While reading the book, the major thing that endeared me to John was his transparency and openness about his story. It is weird but I felt safe considering how to implement his self-help strategies. I reckon it is because he gives a lot of examples from his life that are relatable.

At the end of each chapt
GONZA
Dec 02, 2016 rated it really liked it
An interesting new version of therapy and self-help book. I have never read the blog where this book originates, but I'm going to do it as soon as possible because as a psychotherapist myself, I think that there is no therapy that works for everybody without constant adjusting, so it's fine to get some new lines to handle stuff.

Una nuova versione della terapia e dei libri di auto aiuto. Non ho mai letto il blog da cui origina questo libro, ma lo faró quanto prima, anche perché come psicoterapeut
Jess Clayton
Aug 30, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I won this on a Goodreads giveaway and was amused by the concept. I wasn't familiar with John Kim prior to getting this book but found his approach to be refreshing after years of reading dry, ineffective self help books. He makes it sound like a memoir at times, as he includes his own journey through failed attempts at making peace with himself. I can buy in to his advice better knowing he is just like me. If he can do it then so can I.

I like the casual tone of the book. He has a bit of a love
Jon Kaplan
Jun 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A really good book, highly recommended
Petra
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
I liked the premise of this being a "No BS Guide", an innovative approach to the traditional style of therapy. It promised to be real, to the point and easy. It certainly delivered on those aspects.
Following his divorce, former screenwriter turned therapist John Kim started blogging as 'The Angry Therapist' reflecting on his "F***ng Feelings". His blog evolved into an online life coaching community. What makes Kim's methods stand out from the standard therapist's/psychologist's etc. is the fact
Vytas Ramanauskas
Dec 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I love the way John Kim writes. I used to read his blogs, his 'My Fucking feelings' and now, finally, I bought his book.
And it was no mistake - I love Angry's perspective and how he's tackling career and relationships. He's practical and has an outstanding common-sense. I don't like the extremes, and this is where I found some common ground - there are quite a lot of shitty things in life but you gotta find a way to deal with it, and build your strong 'container.' Kim advises on how to build it
Miri
May 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: self-help
Aside from some interesting metaphors, there wasn't really anything new here. (Caveat: I'm a therapist.) This might be a good book for someone who really hasn't done the whole introspection thing at all. Otherwise it's very basic stuff, dressed up in a vaguely CrossFit-ish jargon (not surprising, given that the author is a big fan). If you've been reading and thinking about mental health for at least a little bit already, I don't think you'll get much out of this.
Bryce
Aug 22, 2017 rated it liked it
I picked it up for its provocative title - and the unorthodox approach to therapy which it suggested - and was not disappointed. It was not particularly ground-breaking in its insights, but it didn't have to be; the value it offered was in its particular approach, which was raw, authentic, and engaging. It had more cursing than I like in my books, although that was clearly an essential element of its characteristic tone.
Christabel Sansone
May 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
This book is a masterpiece!! Honestly I wish it resonates with you as it did with me!! Highly recommend it to each person who is on the journey of self growth!! Thank you John Kim for providing us your knowledge!!
Adam Bush
Mar 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
He speaks the truth about living your truth

Been reading a lot of self help type stuff this year. This one really resonated with me. I thought the container thing would be weird but it makes sense.
Bill Zawrotny
Sep 21, 2017 rated it liked it
This was a really good book...eye-opening in many ways. But something about the presentation made it much more difficult to process and internalize compared to his previous books. Maybe because there was so much jammed into such a short book...
Oleg
Feb 27, 2019 rated it did not like it
Authentic. Too basic. Too verbose. Too much philosophy. Few practicalities. “Plan your game then play your game” advice is not really useful, is not it?
Rachel
Jan 21, 2019 rated it liked it
Too many sports analogies for me to care.
Dearwassily
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-help
Surprisingly helpful.
David
Apr 07, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: self-improvement
Not bad some useful nuggets.
Vicky
Jan 21, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good for venting, but the solutions are not concrete.
Rachel
May 26, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm of the opinion that in a perfect world, therapy would be treated like any other kind of health maintenance. Some of us only need to go once or twice a year to make sure everything is still functioning like it should, and others might need a little more frequent fine tuning. But until that magical time occurs, we Americans are pretty much on our own as far as mental health. While John Kim's book is by no means a replacement for a good counselor, it's a great little guidebook for the basics of ...more
Carin Clark
Mar 10, 2018
Kimberly Gobok
Apr 23, 2017
John Kim
Apr 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)
Shareefah Hamilton
Aug 18, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »

• I Used to Be a Miserable F*ck: An Everyman's Guide to a Meaningful Life
  • But I Know I Love You
  • Healing from Hidden Abuse: A Journey Through the Stages of Recovery from Psychological Abuse
  • Tell Me I'm Wrong
  • The China Study: The Most Comprehensive Study of Nutrition Ever Conducted and the Startling Implications for Diet, Weight Loss, and Long-term Health
  • Desperado Pikachu
  • You Gotta Want It
  • Scott Pilgrim the Complete Series (Scott Pilgrim, #1-6)
  • Jaco the Galactic Patrolman
  • Bone: The Complete Edition
  • Are You Listening?
  • My Lunches with Orson
  • The Story of Stuff: How Our Obsession with Stuff is Trashing the Planet, Our Communities, and our Health—and a Vision for Change
  • I Know You Know
  • Tweet Cute
  • Admit You Want Me (Lone Star Lovers, #1)
  • Hold Me Tight: Seven Conversations for a Lifetime of Love