Start by marking “The Wimbourne Twins (World of Kandar #1)” as Want to Read:
The Wimbourne Twins (World of Kandar #1)

The Wimbourne Twins (World of Kandar #1)

Sisters by birth, divided by magic.
Shannon and Maya are twin sisters who grew up in the mortal world. After years of trying to fit in with mortals the family decides to move back to the Faery town of Wimbourne. Moving back is great for Shannon, who was born with their magic. For Maya, born without magic, it’s a nightmare. The sisters couldn’t be more different. The only t
Published August 3rd 2016 by Paisley Publishing Corporation

To ask other readers questions about The Wimbourne Twins, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Wimbourne Twins

Lana Campbell
Jan 30, 2019 rated it really liked it
This is a story about twin sisters who couldn't be more different. Both are hybrid faeries. Shannon possesses the magic of her kind. Maya, Shannon's twin doesn't. Maya, Shannon and their parents live in the human world. The twins parents abandoned the fea world due to the fact it is embroiled in a vicious civil war. Shannon loathes her existence in a world where she can't be herself and openly practice magic. Maya on the other hand, being magicless, fits right in with humans. So when the twins p ...more
Kayla Krantz
This book takes sibling rivalry to a whole new level with Shannon and Maya. Shannon is gifted with magic and Maya is not. Neither of them can forget the difference and when they are forced to move back to their realm of Faeries, Maya isn’t happy. Shannon’s best friend, Jake, keeps her going and it’s not long until the entire group finds themselves lost in the middle of a war.

I loved the constant tension between Shannon and Maya, both the dynamic of magic and between both of them liking Jake, th
Sherry Biglin
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My grand-daughter recommended this book to me. We have read the Harry Potter series, The Unwanteds, and the Percy Jackson series.
N.C Paisley captures the magic and story telling of these books.
It was fun. Looking forward to the next books in the series because it left you wanting more.
Gramma
Rebecca Burgess
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, giveaways
Found the story intriguing. Loved the unique portals and characters throughout. The sisterly conflicts and bonding was a nice fit within the overall storyline.
Amy Proebstel
Sep 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun, Interesting, & Well-Executed

This story is told from two different perspectives, one with magic and the other without. The sisters each feel like they aren’t being heard or understood, but in reality, they just need to learn to communicate their feelings with one another better. The adventures and circumstances they find themselves in are written really well, drawing the reader into the story, easily seeing the scenery around them and feeling everything they feel. The adventures are fun,
BlueBayou
Feb 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Entertaining with magic, mystery and romance. Easily one can enter this mystical world with detailed descriptions of characters and scenery. Loved this first of a series and am eager to start book 2 - Return to Kandar!
Lucy Grimm
Apr 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book is tastefully written YA book. Jake, Shannon, and Maya stumble on a world connected to Earth. They meet Javon, a wizard, who is fleeing from his enemies. Magic spells and potions add an interesting twist to this story. The twins, Shannon and Maya, will be tested as they each find love for the first time. I would recommend this book to any teen.

Bread rolls sound yummy!
Patricia Knudslien
Jan 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Loved it

Harry Potter type read. Fun and interesting. Great characters and wonderful settings. The world of magic and intrigue has arrived once again. Can't wait to read second book.
Charmaine
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This was a fun read, not too heavy and dark which seems to be the norm these days.
Jan Anderegg
Sep 14, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A great story for teens with magic and romance!

This story is about two sisters, both fairies but one, Maya has no magic while her sister, Shannon does. When their parents move the family back to their magic-based community, Maya is upset, feeling she wont fit in. The two sisters are unexpectedly thrown into another world through a portal and are suddenly faced with many dangers and creatures who are determined to hunt them down.
There’s plenty of action and magic but the romantic interests of th
Avid Reader
Sep 21, 2018 rated it it was amazing
The Wimbourne Twins is a well written book by NC Paisley. She’s written a thoughtful, interesting story about twin sisters who both happen to be faeries. The dynamic between the two sisters is at the heart of the book. While it is obvious that they love and care about each other, at times they also struggle with feelings of resentment towards each other. The crux of the resentment comes from the fact that Shannon has a strong dose of Faery magic while Maya hasn’t developed any magical ability to ...more
Jessica
Mar 26, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
N.C. Paisley's The Wimbourne Twins is a young adult fantasy/adventure novel featuring a pair of twin sisters: Shannon, a faery with magic, and Maya, a faery born without any. After the twins move to the fae-community of Wimbourne, Shannon is ecstatic to be reunited with her best friend, Jake. Maya, feeling as if she won't be accepted, is unhappy.

Then the three of them accidentally fall through a portal into the world of Kandar, and after joining up with a wizard named Jevon, the quarter embark o
S.K. Wee
Nov 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This fantastic story centers on a set of twins, who couldn’t be more different. Shannon inherited a healthy dose of the family faery magic. Stuck in the mortal realm where she is the odd one, she struggles to change her father’s mind about moving to the faery land. She is a typical sixteen-year-old who is manipulative and self-absorbed. Her twin sister, Maya is the opposite. Because she doesn’t possess any magical talent, she has blended into the mortal school system and has many friends and eve ...more
E.M.G. Wixley
Jun 13, 2019 rated it really liked it
The bones of this story is the relationship between Shannon and Maya, twins and hybrid faeries and later the love triangle with Jake. Maya is perceived by Shannon as the pretty one, and she consoles herself with the knowledge that she has the magic. In the human world, Shannon is the outsider, but this role is reversed when they emerge from a portal into the Faery world of Kandar. This dimension is full of conflict and dangers. It’s insecure, and they don’t know who to trust. They join up with t ...more
SA
Aug 02, 2018 rated it it was amazing
What a delightful book that reminded me of Harry Potter. Maya and Shannon are twins, similar in so many ways, but divided by possession/absence of magic as well as their feelings for the same boy, Jake. As the two girls get ready to attend the school for faeries, their lives change dramatically. They find themselves in a different world, embroiled in the civil war in Kandar, expected to play important roles to bring King Enecal down. Jake and Jevon, a wizard boy are added to the midst and you ha ...more
Máire Brophy
Dec 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This was a really enjoyable read. Maya and Shannon are twins but they couldn’t be more different and they haven’t seen eye to eye since they were young children. Despite being from a magical family, Maya has no magic and feels like an outsider in the magical world, just as her sister feels in the mortal world. It feels like they don’t have anything in common, except for liking the same boy! Their parents try to do what’s best for both of them but it doesn’t take long before they get themselves i ...more
Joshua Grffith
Nov 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
An excellent story

What can I say, I was hooked from the first few chapters. The story revolves around Shannon and Maya, twin faery sisters one with magic and one without. After getting kicked out of school again, their family moves to Wimbourne, a magical community. The sisters meet up with Jake and take a trip into the forbidden , to see why it's off limits. Maya goes missing, so Jake and Shannon end up going through a portal to another realm and discover that there's plenty of secrets and trea
Matt Mememaro
May 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Great teen read with magic and romance.

This book was exactly what I was hoping for. An easy to read teen page turner that kept me flicking through the pages. The story centres on a set of twins, vastly different from each other that are engaged in a hot rivalry. A very fun and fast paced read that is easy to get into. The world has a wonderful setting behind it and the dynamic between the two sisters is one to one. Very well constructed family dynamic with a loaded love triangle thrown in.

I woul
Genevieve Raas
Dec 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome YA fantasy!

This book centers on two twin sisters who are fairies, except Maya who sadly does not possess magic. When they inadvertently find themselves in another land, danger becomes real.

The world building is exceptional and writing tight. The plot keeps moving, and is filled with action and romance. The characters are also likeable and realistic. I could not stop reading until I reached the end!

If you are in search for a new YA fantasy with some adventure AND romance, this is it! 5
Tom Simmons
Feb 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing
More suited to teenagers than an old(er!) fogie like me, I still really enjoyed the story. I found it ticks along at a healthy pace, with the author savouring the problems two very different twins face when their family up sticks and move to the fairy town of Wimbourne. Cue handsome love interest, Jake, to disrupt an already delicate relationship between the sisters, and throw in a helter-skelter race through a magical realm filled with delicious helpings of monsters and magic.

Really, really goo
Shade Rachea
Apr 01, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Beyond entertaining!

Wow! This book was so well written that I couldn’t stop reading! I loved the world this author created and all the adventure and craziness that happens in it. All the emotion and teenage problems the characters go through are relatable and realistic. I definitively love every character but I’m especially fond of Jake and Maya. I’m looking forward to seeing how their relationship progresses. Also, I don’t know if I should ship Shannon with Jevon or Peter. Ugh! Time to read the
J.M. Ralley
May 31, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
I enjoyed this book. The pace was kept going and strong. The story between the twins made you want to continuing reading.
Okay, I picked on on a few formatting problems but they didn't distract you from the story. I also felt there was a bit of repetition. However, this is one author I will be keeping an eye on. I want to know if Maya will ever get her magic.
POV's were clear throughout. Descriptions enough to make your mouth water for more.
This is a definite one for fantasy lovers.
Cindy Davis
Feb 14, 2019 rated it really liked it
Through a magical portal and into an unfamiliar world--can anyone be trusted?

The plot may seem a little predictable, but the twins Maya and Shannon are as different as apples and bananas--and yes, they also care for the same boy, Jake. Their journey through a world of magical creatures as they seek to return home is loaded with conflict and teen age troubles. The first of a much anticipated series. Nice job, Ms. Paisley
C.A. King
Oct 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
An exciting and magical coming of age story. I enjoyed the kissing advice scene - everyone should practice before kissing the one they love :). I loved all the action going on from the villain to the portals and the sister angles then sprinkle in a bit of love and jealousy for the finishing touches. A fun family read.

Christy Nicholas
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed the love triangle between Jake, Maya, and Shannon, with the added dimension of Faerie blood. The author captured the rivalry/love between twin siblings with great precision. While there are many characters in this book, some to help and some to hinder, I didn’t get too confused, as they all had strong personalities and descriptions.
Deborah
Apr 24, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways
Jordan Leger
May 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
What a great read indeed. These two sisters are twins, but yet different. while one has magic, the other does not. While this is a romance based read surrounding one guy they both want, it's filled with mystery, action and even a portal that leads to another realm.

Side note: If you're looking for a fun and exciting young read, this one might be for you.
Yvette Bostic
Jun 03, 2019 rated it really liked it
I'd recommend this for anyone who enjoys Teen & YA fantasy. The angst between the two sisters is very realistic and their crush on Jake fuels the fire.
When they accidentally tumble into the fae world, they have a challenging adventure getting back home. I was entertained and enjoyed the characters.
Dorothea Lynne
Nov 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story is an incredible fantasy based around a complex relationship between twin sisters who happen to be fairies. I became invested in the well written and fully developed characters. The romance was a wonderful touch to the fantasy story. I highly recommend this fun read.
Al_owl
Nov 25, 2016 rated it it was ok
Frequently Predictable

If teenage angst is your cup of tea and you do not mind typos every other page and predictable plot, then this is worth a read. Maybe the second one will be better, but I can't imagine why I finished the first.

• The Serpent's Eyes (The Crispin Trilogy #1)
  • Resist (Resistance #2)
  • Gauntlet Fall (The Gauntlet Book 1)
  • The Robespierre Conspiracy: Book One
  • From Africanus: The Roman Empire, The Nika Riots, and the Approaching Darkness (Legend of Africanus #1)
  • Cities of the Common Man
  • A Bane In Salem: A Tale of the Salem Witch Trials
  • gravity breaker
  • Moral Order: The Rise of Luca C. Mariner
  • A Change of Hate
  • Trail of Miracles
  • The Last Motley
  • The Flyer (The Flyer, #1)
  • Provenance of Bondage (Deadly Veils, #1)
  • Spell Breaker (Chronicles of Eledon #1)
  • Catch and Release (Fishing for Trouble, #3)
  • 10 Year Reunion - Class of '63
  • The Mansion's Twins
A mother of three boys, NC would love to be able to stay home writing and be there for her kids more. Working full time until she can realize her dream, she may not be able to write as much as she would like, but that doesn't stop her from trying!