Start by marking “Horizon, Vol. 1: Reprisal” as Want to Read:
Horizon, Vol. 1: Reprisal

Horizon, Vol. 1: Reprisal

(Horizon #1)

Zhia Malen thought she'd fought her very last war, until she learned her planet was targeted for occupation...by a desperate world called Earth.

The people of Earth will be told that her arrival on our planet means invasion. These are lies. This is retaliation.

Skybound's newest original series will show you that survival isn't just a human instinct...

Collects HORIZON #1-6.
Published January 24th 2017 by Image Comics (first published January 18th 2017)

To ask other readers questions about Horizon, Vol. 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Horizon, Vol. 1

Start your review of Horizon, Vol. 1: Reprisal
[Shai] Bibliophage
I had a hard time deciding on what should I rate this first volume of the Horizon comic series. I like the story because it sort of reminds me of the The Matrix, but there are certain parts that confused me. Therefore, I rated this 3 stars instead of 4 because I was left with several unanswered questions.

Thanks to Image Comics for the providing a copy of this graphic novel.

Skye Kilaen
Done with books 1 and 2, can't wait for book 3. Horizon uses a sci-fi plot I haven't seen before: a team of undercover agents from another planet is dispatched to prevent Earth from invading their home to escape environmental destruction. The first volume is full of timeline jumps to get you caught up on current events, so I had to read it twice to properly assemble everything in my brain, but I'm glad I did.

What I especially appreciated is that the team's actions against humans are only half
Crystal Starr Light
Bullet Review:

Meeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhh. I've certainly read worse, but damn, if this wasn't a confusing setup volume. Also, not sure how the story can proceed from here. I really wish the characters had been better developed - took me until nearly the end to realize that "Sherrie" was "Agent Davix"!

Between 2 and 3 stars. Cannot make my mind up about which one it should be.
Relstuart
Jan 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: image-comics
Interesting premise. Obviously a lot more going on than is revealed in these first issues. I'm a little torn about who I am supposed to be rooting for so far (probably not a bad thing). I'll check out the next volume. :)
Wade
Oct 05, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphic-novels
Loved the general story and premise of the book... but damn was it hard to follow in some parts. Id find myself having to reread several pages, and still not fully understanding what they were trying to get across. It was very frustrating, because I genuinely wanted to know what the hell was happening. ...more
Michael Norwitz
Aug 12, 2017 rated it did not like it
I quite liked the first issue: an sci-fi espionage tale of an alien coming to Earth to prevent an invason of her home planet. However, as the series continued, sociology and cultural satire and politics took a back seat to endless gunfights and explosions. After a promising opening sequence I found the book a chore to get through.
Chris Thompson
Dec 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Having read the first six issues of Horizon (I've been collecting the individual issues), I have to say I'm still uncertain how I feel about the series as a whole. What begins as an exciting and cool intro issue, turns muddled and confusing as new characters join the fray and the story keeps the reader out of the loop. Then, suddenly, something clicks and it makes sense, kind of.

This is a story where the humans of Earth are the bad guys, and aliens like Zhia Malen are invading the Earth in order
Jen
Jul 29, 2017 rated it it was ok
Man.... two stars, and actually I'm feeling kind of generous. We just jumped in and let out snippets of information as we were going along and it just did not work out for me. I learned more in the three sentence 'about' the book than I did in the actual pages. Sounds like it should be interesting so maybe it will be eventually?
Pierre Eklöf
Feb 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: seriezonen
What a mess.
J.D. DeHart
Sep 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I found Horizon, Volume 1 to have a very cinematic quality. It reminded me, in a nostalgic way, of Masters of the Universe and other stories from the 1980s. I am not sure if this was the intent of the author, but it was one of my takeaways.

The visual appeal of this book was worth the price of admission alone, and I found the story to be very enjoyable. Of course, being volume one, there is a continuation aspect that begs more. But the begging more is a positive feeling to come away with at the
Paul Allard
May 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Sci-fi comic collection about an alien come to Earth to prevent an invasion.

This collection involves an alien crew come to Earth to recover one of their race and to prevent Earthlings leaving the planet. A firefight takes up a lot of the central part of the story.

The illustrations in the digital edition are not always clear so it is quite difficult to differentiate between some of the characters. The plot is OK but also hard to follow at times. Not brilliant but reasonably good. I'm not enthused
Daniel McTaggart
Apr 06, 2018 rated it liked it
An interesting sci-fi take on alien invasions. Because the "good guys" in this story are the aliens. The art is kinetic and frantic, which served to increase my adrenalin as I progressed through the book. However, I think that may have caused me to lose track of the story somewhere. I had to struggle a tiny bit to get back into the fray. Still, I enjoyed it. And for $9.99, I got a lot of bang for my buck.
Seth Merlo
Aug 04, 2018 rated it it was ok
Interesting premise let down by terrible execution. Too many threads and characters are packed in with too little set up. About half of this book could have been pushed to subsequent volumes and the pages given to establishing the lead character.
Lenore
Jun 11, 2018 rated it liked it
The time jumps are slightly confusing and the art doesn't clear it up much. I normally understand things very well (I got Memento and Inception the first watch, so if I'm confused, it means something's messy).
Joseph
Jul 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
It's all right but I don't feel an urge to continue the series.
Keena
May 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
Looking forward to vol 2!
Henry Bemis
Jun 08, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2018-comics
Confusing as heck. Will re-read.🐭
Nick
Mar 03, 2017 rated it liked it
By the end of this volume, the story seems a little bit out of control, and I'm not sure I will continue to read it. The premise and the start of the volume were so intriguing, though, that I have to think about it. The artwork is nice, and the characters are intriguing, but there is no sense that the writer really knows where the story is going.
On the other hand, the story has so much potential that I am hoping that it gets back to the quality of the opening parts.
It's an alien invasion story
Matthew