Start by marking “The Bug Boys” as Want to Read:
The Bug Boys

Read Book

The Bug Boys

(The Bug Boys #1)

Who would have thought that eating a peanut butter sandwich and an apple would change your life? Let alone get you mixed up with an old alien research project, and transform you into the superheroes your village never needed.

For two young South Yorkshire lads, Alex Adams and Ian Harris, it was a geeky comic book dream come true, but it wasn't everything it was cracked up t
Published August 4th 2016 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Bug Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bug Boys

Start your review of The Bug Boys
Always Pouting
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alex and Ian eat a lunch at the coal mine that has been infected with nanobots from another planet that take over their body and transform that into any bug they ingest. The boys decide to use their new powers to do good but being superheros is much more complicated than they had anticipated. I enjoyed this book, though I don't think it was written with me in mind. I liked all the details about the Secti's home planet and the boy's were pretty hilarious. It was really cute and fun even though th ...more
Patricia Cifra
Jan 09, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book initially brought up images of young boys collecting bugs along with something psychedelic ( the front cover is so 60s!). Little did I know that this book would provide one of the most unexpected twists I’ve ever experienced.

The story starts as in a simple village with two simple young boys, Alex and Ian. These two boys face typical boy problems: going to school in the morning and beating the local bully, Darren. The boys also dream of their adventures as superheroes with the enthusia
Brittany
The Bug Boys by Stewart Hoffman

Alex and Ian get tied up with ancient aliens and a research project that has been dormant for a long time. What is the least likely place you would expect to find a portal to another planet? Alex and Ian get to find out.

This book would have been great as a young adult read if the concept was pushed into a more mature situation. I kept thinking all the way through how this concept that Stewart created could flow so great into some crazy story lines.

This book is fro
Ayoushe Natha
Feb 29, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Firstly I would just like to apologise about writing this review so late.

I got the book in exchange for an honest review. I initially started reading the book and though "oh-no what is this" because there is talk of toilet water, peeing and pooping, but the characters really do grow on you. Alex and Ian are written as typical boys growing up in an ordinary town in England. The story really starts when the boys gain super powers (gaining the ability of any bug they eat)and learn to navigate their
Corben
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a splendid read. “The Bug Boys” is aimed at a young audience but I’m certain it will have much broader appeal. The author doesn’t dumb down the story or writing style to suit younger readers and I think that makes the book all the more successful.
It’s a very imaginative and humorous story packed full of all the stuff that kids will love – superheroes, aliens, monster-bugs etc. But the author does something different, he introduces themes such as bullying and poverty which are handled sen
Bertha
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I was going to like this book because it's about bugs, nanobots and superheros but was I wrong. The more I read the more I was hooked.
I liked the way the author explained the different names and sayings,like spotted dick and British Bulldogs (the games not the animal) because the story is set in England.
Kids, especially boys, will like this book because it has a lot of farting in it.
A. Gustafson
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. It was well written and I found the concept completely unique which is a rarity. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys any kind of coming of age story mixed in with some sci fi.
Kate Burke
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DON'T SKIP THE FOOTNOTES!

If you are A) a boy, B) a fan of superheroes C) an Anglophile, D) a bugophile, E) a laughophile or F) you super appreciate good imagery, The Bug Boys is for you.

Stewart Hoffman's first novel is imaginative, well-thought through, and FUNNY. Long story short: a couple of English schoolboys discover themselves able to transform into human/bug symbionts, attaining the physical powers of the insects while maintaining their human brains. They decide to apply their new-found po
Glarvole
Mar 11, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Stewart was kind enough to give me a copy of The Bug Boys in exchange for an honest review. Sadly, I took a very long time to actually get this review done, sorry.

So, what to say about this book. Overall impressions are this book must have been a ton of fun to write. As well as a royal pain in the neck as things keep jumping out with new applications for the events of the novel. I don't really want to give away much of the book but it's really interesting to see just how human the boys are when
Kevin
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys is a fun book to read. As an adult I was able to enjoy it, but I wish I'd had the chance to read it when I was younger. This is Young Adult done right; it respects the audience. The fun, superhero sci-fi story gets a healthy dose of humour. Good humour at that. A wry, mature approach to comedy that I would've craved as a young teen. Yeah, this is a book for those kids who raced ahead of the class and were forced to choose between books they'd outgrown and adult books that, whilst th ...more
Anett Gergely
Nov 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Primarily I chose the book because of the superhero and comic topic, against the ’bug’ in the title, because I’m not a big fan of the bugs myself, but I was too curious about it. And in the end it happened to be a really great choice!
The novel is adventurous, funny Young Adult story about Alex and Ian, the two schoolboys, who lives their ordinary lives in their ordinary town, when suddenly they find themself to be able to transform superheroes. And the big question, what they will do next?

It’s r
Jenesis "Robyn" J.
Didn't your parents ever tell you to stop puting dirt in your mouth? You'll end up growing an additional set of limbs and a sick side-effect, like excessive farting or something.

Wait.

That's not true?

I was given the opportunity to read and review Stewart Hoffman's "The Bug Boys" through Booktasters and the author himself. Thank you so much for the opportunity, and I apologize for such a long wait!

The Bug Boys is about two boys - Alex and Ian - who gain superpowers after an eventful lunch, a bully
Alexandra
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kid-lit-exchange
*Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.*
Stewart Hoffman’s first novel is filled with humor, adventure, and a unique story about two boys who become heroes overnight. Blending the best parts of middle school humor, aliens, superheroes, and bugs, The Bug Boys is a delightful story. Two boys have their dreams come true after swallowing alien nanobots that allow them to temporarily adapt the abilities of any bugs they consume. As Alex and Ia
Hend A.Shaban
Jul 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Young boys, bugs, nanobots, superheros & a great adventure.. This novel combined all my teenage dreams. And..

Alex’s tiny bedroom was right next to the modest semi-detached home’s only toilet, so he was mindful to close his door before going to bed. The sound of wee splashing into the toilet water was bad enough, but it was nothing compared to what usually followed.
FART! And there it was. The morning’s release, ushering in the new day with an explosion of methane, built up by his dad’s intesti

Ashley Melonson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bug Boys is an entertaining tale about two friends and their journey into superherodom. The premise of how the boys develop their powers through obtaining the special traits of different insects provides a unique take on the typical supernatural crimefighter theme.

The author creates an inventive world, in particular with the lore of The Secti. I won’t offer too many spoilers here, but seeing the interactions between the Secti and the boys gave the book a nice intergalactic twist.

Hoffman vi
Angie Carrillo
Jan 08, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"You are what you eat" but never expected to think that while reading about two boys that become superheroes by eating bugs. And after all, this is all the children´s dream and Ian and Alex got it for real.
The story is just great; it combines humor, real situations, lovable characters, aliens, superheroes and insects. It is definitely a funny and very engaging story.

Two of the best things about this novel is the creativity the author had when creating a whole new world known as The Secti and th
Mark Schultz
Dec 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This creatively penned book has a deceptive appearance. The colorful cover is full of bugs! The Title is "The Bug Boys"! I thought it was going to be about bugs, like a field guide for kids. So not true!
This story is about two pre-teen boys in a small town in England. How they are tormented by a bully and what they do about it. Actually, there is a much larger cast of characters and they are all drawn out for us in a marvelous fashion. The author has captured the boys’ point of view so well, in
Munie  Moe
Jan 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Halecki
Sep 07, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A Fun Read

I read a lot. Clarke, Asimov, Heinlein; etc.; All the Greats. This book was not in that category. And yet... It was very enjoyable.
And unique. Hoffman 's mechanism for turning the boys into superheroes was clever (and disgusting). He did an excellent job of depicting the mindset of twelve year-old boys.
The story is short (a welcome change to the metabolic that get churned out these days with depressing regularity). Which is a good thing; Hoffman is not a polished writer. If it was a lo
Gilles
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a giveaway and wasn't sure what to expect from it and thought I'll give it a blast over the holidays.

I was highly surprised by how that book sucked me in. Also the story feels aimed at kids here and there, with some young mind jokes, but it is light and doesn't stop an adult from enjoying this well designed story.

Really promising debut from the author whom I will make sure to follow from now on. Truly enjoyed the book and passed it to my daughter as soon as I completed it.
W.H. Mitchell
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys tells the story of two best friends living in an English mining town and what happens when alien technology turns their normal lives into something extraordinary. Along the way, we see through the eyes of not just the boys themselves, but also many of the other characters inhabiting the little village as well as another planet! I think a younger audience, especially tweens and teens, would really enjoy the dialogue and interactions. Hoffman displays a lot of wit and imagination, tak ...more
Rimega Umbridge
Nov 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book made me laugh from the very start. I love how Mr. Hoffman explain all the details, bravo! The Bug Boys is really fun to read because it has unique storyline and splendid new wonderful adventurous site that a sci-fi reader would want! The main characters are two boys and you’ll probably enjoy as you read their adventure!
I read this book with my younger bro and The Bug Boys is the first book he finished.
susan murray
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Won from goodreads
The Bug Boys is brilliant book which will have all readers laughing and actually enjoy reading. The book is full of crazy misadventures with laughable characters,with fun and gross happenings. The two boys are the main characters who you will enjoy the way they get into many mishaps.
A.K. Hudson
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Bug Boys is funny and fresh. The writing style reminds me of Terry Pratchett, with humorous footnotes, and great British-isms. As a lover of comic books, super heroes, and laughing while reading, I found this book to be a page-turner; I couldn't wait to see what kind of trouble Alex and Ian would get into next. Great first book.
Richard
Apr 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
I read the book twice, finished the second reading 9 April. Well written book, not my cup of tea, I was amused by the premises but I think it would take a younger person to really relate to the story and enjoy the read.
thanks
van
Tony Hunter
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great tale which my son really enjoyed. Just the right amount of gross boy stuff mixed in with aliens, super heroes and evil-doers.
Well written and imagined, it kept his attention through out with the authors special brand of humor.
John
Apr 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Take a departure from reality, venture into a fantasy ripe with small robot aliens and bugs. Our heroes take on several challenges, with the assistance of aliens. It’s a fun story, and an interesting read.
Susan
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-read
I won this book through Goodreads. Loved it. Really funny with a great story . Likeable characters too.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book with really great lessons in it, can't wait for the next one!
Darla
Nov 03, 2017 added it
These brave boys take you on an investigation of their superhero powers they gain by eating...bugs? A fun read for kids!
Great Middle Grad...: The Bug Boys 2 13 Sep 25, 2017 03:45AM

• Guardian Outcast (Star Scavengers, #1)
  • Expedition Beyond
  • The Contingency (The Contingency War, #1)
  • The Tiger's Fate (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer, #3)
  • A Dark Foretoken (Tales of the Seventh #3)
  • The Troubadour's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #5)
  • The Tiger’s Wrath (Chronicles of An Imperial Legionary Officer #5)
  • The Tiger (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer, #2)
  • Fort Covenant (Tales of the Seventh #2)
  • The Tiger's Time (Chronicles of an Imperial Legionary Officer #4)
  • The Merchant's Tale (Oxford Medieval Mysteries, #4)
  • Stiger (Tales of the Seventh #1)
  • The War Stage (The War Planners #2)
  • The Goldberg Variations: The Rites of Passage
  • The Contingency War Boxed Set: The Complete Four Book Series
  • Ginjuh
  • Just a Dumb Surfer Dude (Just a Dumb Surfer Dude, #1)
  • Echoes of Starlight (Wings of Earth #1)
Stewart Hoffman was born in Doncaster, England, and his interests have always gravitated towards the creative arts.

A fan of science fiction and fantasy, Stewart’s favorite authors are Douglas Adams, Terry Pratchett, Harry Harrison, Michael Poore, and John Scalzi.

Those creative influencers and Stewart’s experiences growing up in England inspired him to write his first two novels, The Bug Boys, and

The Bug Boys (2 books)