Start by marking “The Bug Boys” as Want to Read:
The Bug Boys

Read Book

The Bug Boys (The Bug Boys #1)

4.31  ·  Rating details ·  45 Ratings  ·  34 Reviews
Who would have thought that eating a peanut butter sandwich and an apple would change your life? Let alone get you mixed up with an old alien research project, and transform you into the superheroes your village never needed.

For two young South Yorkshire lads, Alex Adams and Ian Harris, it was a geeky comic book dream come true, but it wasn't everything it was cracked up t
Published August 4th 2016 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Bug Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bug Boys

Pouting Always
Apr 19, 2017 rated it really liked it
Alex and Ian eat a lunch at the coal mine that has been infected with nanobots from another planet that take over their body and transform that into any bug they ingest. The boys decide to use their new powers to do good but being superheros is much more complicated than they had anticipated. I enjoyed this book, though I don't think it was written with me in mind. I liked all the details about the Secti's home planet and the boy's were pretty hilarious. It was really cute and fun even though th ...more
Corben
Jun 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is a splendid read. “The Bug Boys” is aimed at a young audience but I’m certain it will have much broader appeal. The author doesn’t dumb down the story or writing style to suit younger readers and I think that makes the book all the more successful.
It’s a very imaginative and humorous story packed full of all the stuff that kids will love – superheroes, aliens, monster-bugs etc. But the author does something different, he introduces themes such as bullying and poverty which are handled sen
Bertha
Mar 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I didn't think I was going to like this book because it's about bugs, nanobots and superheros but was I wrong. The more I read the more I was hooked.
I liked the way the author explained the different names and sayings,like spotted dick and British Bulldogs (the games not the animal) because the story is set in England.
Kids, especially boys, will like this book because it has a lot of farting in it.
A. Gustafson
Dec 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. It was well written and I found the concept completely unique which is a rarity. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys any kind of coming of age story mixed in with some sci fi.
Kate Burke
Mar 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DON'T SKIP THE FOOTNOTES!

If you are A) a boy, B) a fan of superheroes C) an Anglophile, D) a bugophile, E) a laughophile or F) you super appreciate good imagery, The Bug Boys is for you.

Stewart Hoffman's first novel is imaginative, well-thought through, and FUNNY. Long story short: a couple of English schoolboys discover themselves able to transform into human/bug symbionts, attaining the physical powers of the insects while maintaining their human brains. They decide to apply their new-found po
Kevin
Apr 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys is a fun book to read. As an adult I was able to enjoy it, but I wish I'd had the chance to read it when I was younger. This is Young Adult done right; it respects the audience. The fun, superhero sci-fi story gets a healthy dose of humour. Good humour at that. A wry, mature approach to comedy that I would've craved as a young teen. Yeah, this is a book for those kids who raced ahead of the class and were forced to choose between books they'd outgrown and adult books that, whilst th ...more
Alexandra
Sep 14, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: arc, kid-lit-exchange
*Thanks to the @kidlitexchange network for the review copy of this book - all opinions are my own.*
Stewart Hoffman’s first novel is filled with humor, adventure, and a unique story about two boys who become heroes overnight. Blending the best parts of middle school humor, aliens, superheroes, and bugs, The Bug Boys is a delightful story. Two boys have their dreams come true after swallowing alien nanobots that allow them to temporarily adapt the abilities of any bugs they consume. As Alex and Ia
Ashley Melonson
Sep 04, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Bug Boys is an entertaining tale about two friends and their journey into superherodom. The premise of how the boys develop their powers through obtaining the special traits of different insects provides a unique take on the typical supernatural crimefighter theme.

The author creates an inventive world, in particular with the lore of The Secti. I won’t offer too many spoilers here, but seeing the interactions between the Secti and the boys gave the book a nice intergalactic twist.

Hoffman vi
W.H. Mitchell
Apr 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys tells the story of two best friends living in an English mining town and what happens when alien technology turns their normal lives into something extraordinary. Along the way, we see through the eyes of not just the boys themselves, but also many of the other characters inhabiting the little village as well as another planet! I think a younger audience, especially tweens and teens, would really enjoy the dialogue and interactions. Hoffman displays a lot of wit and imagination, tak ...more
Gilles
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I won this book as a giveaway and wasn't sure what to expect from it and thought I'll give it a blast over the holidays.

I was highly surprised by how that book sucked me in. Also the story feels aimed at kids here and there, with some young mind jokes, but it is light and doesn't stop an adult from enjoying this well designed story.

Really promising debut from the author whom I will make sure to follow from now on. Truly enjoyed the book and passed it to my daughter as soon as I completed it.
susan murray
Apr 13, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Won from goodreads
The Bug Boys is brilliant book which will have all readers laughing and actually enjoy reading. The book is full of crazy misadventures with laughable characters,with fun and gross happenings. The two boys are the main characters who you will enjoy the way they get into many mishaps.
A.K. Hudson
Oct 06, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The Bug Boys is funny and fresh. The writing style reminds me of Terry Pratchett, with humorous footnotes, and great British-isms. As a lover of comic books, super heroes, and laughing while reading, I found this book to be a page-turner; I couldn't wait to see what kind of trouble Alex and Ian would get into next. Great first book.
Richard
Apr 11, 2017 marked it as to-read
I read the book twice, finished the second reading 9 April. Well written book, not my cup of tea, I was amused by the premises but I think it would take a younger person to really relate to the story and enjoy the read.
thanks
van
Tony Hunter
Aug 18, 2017 rated it it was amazing
A great tale which my son really enjoyed. Just the right amount of gross boy stuff mixed in with aliens, super heroes and evil-doers.
Well written and imagined, it kept his attention through out with the authors special brand of humor.
Laurie
Nov 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
An enjoyable read. The right sort of kid at the right age would find this story empowering and interesting. Bugs have a lot of admirable qualities.
Susan
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: misc-read
I won this book through Goodreads. Loved it. Really funny with a great story . Likeable characters too.
Sep 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Great book with really great lessons in it, can't wait for the next one!
Darla
Nov 03, 2017 added it
These brave boys take you on an investigation of their superhero powers they gain by eating...bugs? A fun read for kids!
NormaCenva
It was a light read and quite humorous. Despite the fact that it was really not my usual preference, I really enjoyed it!
Lilyn G. | Sci-Fi & Scary
The Bug Boys is a super-powered romp with some super-smelly side effects. Alex and Ian are two average twelve-year-olds that discover they can suddenly do something awesome. But with great power comes in limited bursts and a piper to pay at the end of the line. Thankfully young boys and disgusting sounds and smells go together like PB & J, so these kids make it work. And Hoffman gets points for finding so many unique ways to describe butt blasts.

I liked that Stewart Hoffman quickly institute
Ruth Brown
Dec 16, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Bug Boys is one of those rare gems of a story that engages you on all senses. It’s also one of the few books I’ve enjoyed so much that I read it again straight away after finishing.

Set in a small English coal-mining town, Alex and Ian are two normal teenagers living a regular life until they eat food that has been contaminated by nanobots from another time & place.

An incident with the school bully reveals the boys can have temporary superpowers. Initially this makes their lives fun and
Matt
Apr 04, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways

I received a free copy of this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway, so I just want to quickly thank Stewart for running the giveaway :)

This story is set in the Yorkshire mining town of Rossolington, where two schoolkids, Alex and Ian, eat lunch given to them by Alex's dad... with complementary nanobots too... Overnight, they become indestructible, lose weight, become athletic and brainboxes. They also discover that when they swallow insects, they gain their characteristics. A bug/human
Jacqui
Sep 10, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys follows two entirely normal South Yorkshire lads who eat the wrong food at the wrong time and end up absorbing super powers that make them anything but normal. While predictably, they first use these amazing powers to fight the school bullies, they quickly realize there must be bigger and better goals that will energize what had been fairly ordinary lives.

Hoffman's The Bug Boys is nothing like the iconic Franz Kafka Metamorphosis about a man who turns into an ant. In fact, Stewart t
Cindy Jewkes
Aug 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I loved The Bug Boys! When Alex and Ian start exhibiting supernatural powers, they naturally decide to use their new abilities to fight local school bullies. Except, their attempts to restore social justice don't always go according to plan.

The Bug Boys is a soft science fiction novel mixed with a healthy dose of humor, the kind of sci fi that doesn't leave you scratching your head at the science-y parts. The language kept me chuckling throughout the entire book. It's a perfect story for familie
Vegan Jon
Aug 29, 2016 rated it really liked it
Great fun. Just when you thought super hereos where getting tiring and a bit predictable!
This first time writer has put together an easy to read story that is memorable and has a great pace. If you fancy an unusual tale of small town school boys and weird intergalactic shennanigans where insects, portals and special powers collide (and why wouldn't you want such a deviating tale!?), then look no further! This story is just the right type of nuts. Zany but to the point.
alexis
❈ I received this book through a giveaway on Goodreads ❈

The Bug Boys was by no means bad, it just really wasn't my taste. I will be giving my copy to my nephew who I'm sure will love it.
Joe Yang
Mar 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a witty, imaginative tale about two boys and their adventures in a small British town. Without giving too much away, it's a fun underdog/superhero/sci-fi that most readers will be able to identify with. The characters are vivid and colorful, and the plot takes a number of unexpected turns. The writing style is best suited for kids who are already avid readers.

My favorite aspect of BUG BOYS is that, without apology, it contains the type of humor and gags that interest adolescent males.
B.C. Mullins
May 15, 2017 rated it really liked it
After a very explosive start that the YA reader will find hilarious, the book slows down and struggles to hold one's attention until it again takes off about a third of the way through. From that point on, it's a lively, imaginative page turner full of farts and boy humor. Unique plot - your boys will love it.
Dana Hammer
Feb 17, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The bug boys

A super fun read! This is a funny, charming, geeky book for funny, charming, geeky people. Highly recommended for all age groups.
Diana Pardee
Feb 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: local-authors
This is a fun book, especially designed for YA boys, but enjoyable for anyone with a sense of whimsy and a love of sci-fi oriented bugs and bots. I'm no big fan of Sci-Fi but I enjoyed it thoroughly and recommend it. A little English humor adds to the fun. Looking forward to Book 2!
Great Middle Grad...: The Bug Boys 2 11 Sep 25, 2017 03:45AM
Stewart Hoffman was born in Doncaster, England, and spent the first ten years of his life growing up in the nearby village of Rossington. After that there were several hops around the globe before he settled again in sunny Southern California. Stewart is a web developer, a world traveler, and a story teller. A reader (science fiction mostly) and a film fanatic armed with his own blog. He's a Whovi ...more
More about Stewart Hoffman

• Searching for Grace Kelly
    $15.99 $1.99
  • Bricking It
    $3.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth of March: A Story of the Boston Massacre (Great Episodes)
    $8.99 $2.99
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Elephant Keeper's Daughter
  • The Virtues of Oxygen
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Home to Harmony (Harmony #1)
    $11.14 $1.99
  • Dog Crazy
  • The Towers of Tuscany
  • The Noticer: Sometimes, all a person needs is a little perspective
  • Who We Were Before
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Reluctant Midwife (Hope River, #2)
    $10.49 $1.99
  • Sin No More (Reverend Curtis Black)
    $10.39 $1.99
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fat Chance
  • Just a Couple of Days
    $17.99 $1.99
  • The Boleyn Inheritance (The Tudor Court, #3)
    $12.99 $2.99
  • A Scattered Life
  • Every Ugly Word
  • A Memory of Violets: A Novel of London's Flower Sellers
    $11.99 $1.99
  • Desert God (Ancient Egypt, #5)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Woman Who Breathed Two Worlds (Malayan #1)
  • An Amish Buggy Ride
  • Old Yeller
    $6.99 $1.99
  • The Secret Healer (The Secret Healer #1)
    $3.49 $0.99
  • Elizabeth Street
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Gates of Rome (Emperor, #1)
  • The Unkillable Kitty O'Kane
  • It Is Well
    $4.99 $1.99
  • A Sinful Calling (Reverend Curtis Black #13)
  • On a Cold Dark Sea
    $4.99 $1.99
  • My Lady Viper (Tales from the Tudor Court #1)
  • Kings of Broken Things