Start by marking “The Bug Boys” as Want to Read:
The Bug Boys

Read Book

The Bug Boys

Who would have thought that eating a peanut butter sandwich and an apple would change your life? Let alone get you mixed up with an old alien research project, and transform you into the superheroes your village never needed.

For two young South Yorkshire lads, Alex Adams and Ian Harris, it was a geeky comic book dream come true, but it wasn't everything it was cracked up t
Published August 4th 2016 by iUniverse

To ask other readers questions about The Bug Boys, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Bug Boys

Pouting Always
Apr 19, 2017 Pouting Always rated it really liked it
Alex and Ian eat a lunch at the coal mine that has been infected with nanobots from another planet that take over their body and transform that into any bug they ingest. The boys decide to use their new powers to do good but being superheros is much more complicated than they had anticipated. I enjoyed this book, though I don't think it was written with me in mind. I liked all the details about the Secti's home planet and the boy's were pretty hilarious. It was really cute and fun even though th ...more
Literary Titan
What kid doesn’t want to be a super hero? Imagine stepping into a world where two boys suddenly have the power to take on the bullies and save the day. In the small coal mining town of Rossolington, Alex and Ian ingest nanobots by accident and suddenly their bodies and lives are transformed by this alien race. While fighting a bully Alex swallows a live bug which turns him into a hybrid human-bug. With their new-found abilities to become part bug, part human Alex and Ian decided to help Alex’s f ...more
A. Gustafson
Dec 13, 2016 A. Gustafson rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed the book. It was well written and I found the concept completely unique which is a rarity. I definitely recommend this book to anyone who enjoys any kind of coming of age story mixed in with some sci fi.
Kate Burke
Mar 07, 2017 Kate Burke rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
DON'T SKIP THE FOOTNOTES!

If you are A) a boy, B) a fan of superheroes C) an Anglophile, D) a bugophile, E) a laughophile or F) you super appreciate good imagery, The Bug Boys is for you.

Stewart Hoffman's first novel is imaginative, well-thought through, and FUNNY. Long story short: a couple of English schoolboys discover themselves able to transform into human/bug symbionts, attaining the physical powers of the insects while maintaining their human brains. They decide to apply their new-found po
Kevin
Apr 09, 2017 Kevin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys is a fun book to read. As an adult I was able to enjoy it, but I wish I'd had the chance to read it when I was younger. This is Young Adult done right; it respects the audience. The fun, superhero sci-fi story gets a healthy dose of humour. Good humour at that. A wry, mature approach to comedy that I would've craved as a young teen. Yeah, this is a book for those kids who raced ahead of the class and were forced to choose between books they'd outgrown and adult books that, whilst th ...more
susan murray
Apr 13, 2017 susan murray rated it it was amazing
Won from goodreads
The Bug Boys is brilliant book which will have all readers laughing and actually enjoy reading. The book is full of crazy misadventures with laughable characters,with fun and gross happenings. The two boys are the main characters who you will enjoy the way they get into many mishaps.
Richard
Apr 11, 2017 Richard marked it as to-read
I read the book twice, finished the second reading 9 April. Well written book, not my cup of tea, I was amused by the premises but I think it would take a younger person to really relate to the story and enjoy the read.
thanks
van
NormaCenva
It was a light read and quite humorous. Despite the fact that it was really not my usual preference, I really enjoyed it!
Lilyn G. (Scifi and Scary)
The Bug Boys is a super-powered romp with some super-smelly side effects. Alex and Ian are two average twelve-year-olds that discover they can suddenly do something awesome. But with great power comes in limited bursts and a piper to pay at the end of the line. Thankfully young boys and disgusting sounds and smells go together like PB & J, so these kids make it work. And Hoffman gets points for finding so many unique ways to describe butt blasts.

I liked that Stewart Hoffman quickly institute
Ruth Brown
Dec 16, 2016 Ruth Brown rated it it was amazing
The Bug Boys is one of those rare gems of a story that engages you on all senses. It’s also one of the few books I’ve enjoyed so much that I read it again straight away after finishing.

Set in a small English coal-mining town, Alex and Ian are two normal teenagers living a regular life until they eat food that has been contaminated by nanobots from another time & place.

An incident with the school bully reveals the boys can have temporary superpowers. Initially this makes their lives fun and
Matt
Apr 04, 2017 Matt rated it liked it
Shelves: giveaways

I received a free copy of this book as part of a Goodreads giveaway, so I just want to quickly thank Stewart for running the giveaway :)

This story is set in the Yorkshire mining town of Rossolington, where two schoolkids, Alex and Ian, eat lunch given to them by Alex's dad... with complementary nanobots too... Overnight, they become indestructible, lose weight, become athletic and brainboxes. They also discover that when they swallow insects, they gain their characteristics. A bug/human
Jacqui
Sep 10, 2016 Jacqui rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Bug Boys follows two entirely normal South Yorkshire lads who eat the wrong food at the wrong time and end up absorbing super powers that make them anything but normal. While predictably, they first use these amazing powers to fight the school bullies, they quickly realize there must be bigger and better goals that will energize what had been fairly ordinary lives.

Hoffman's The Bug Boys is nothing like the iconic Franz Kafka Metamorphosis about a man who turns into an ant. In fact, Stewart t
Cindy Jewkes
Aug 11, 2016 Cindy Jewkes rated it it was amazing
I loved The Bug Boys! When Alex and Ian start exhibiting supernatural powers, they naturally decide to use their new abilities to fight local school bullies. Except, their attempts to restore social justice don't always go according to plan.

The Bug Boys is a soft science fiction novel mixed with a healthy dose of humor, the kind of sci fi that doesn't leave you scratching your head at the science-y parts. The language kept me chuckling throughout the entire book. It's a perfect story for familie
Jonathan Bruton
Aug 29, 2016 Jonathan Bruton rated it really liked it
Great fun. Just when you thought super hereos where getting tiring and a bit predictable!
This first time writer has put together an easy to read story that is memorable and has a great pace. If you fancy an unusual tale of small town school boys and weird intergalactic shennanigans where insects, portals and special powers collide (and why wouldn't you want such a deviating tale!?), then look no further! This story is just the right type of nuts. Zany but to the point.
A.J. (Lacy Literacy)
❈ I received this book through a giveaway on Goodreads ❈

The Bug Boys was by no means bad, it just really wasn't my taste. I will be giving my copy to my nephew who I'm sure will love it.
Joe Yang
Mar 17, 2017 Joe Yang rated it it was amazing
Shelves: children-s-books
This is a witty, imaginative tale about two boys and their adventures in a small British town. Without giving too much away, it's a fun underdog/superhero/sci-fi that most readers will be able to identify with. The characters are vivid and colorful, and the plot takes a number of unexpected turns. The writing style is best suited for kids who are already avid readers.

My favorite aspect of BUG BOYS is that, without apology, it contains the type of humor and gags that interest adolescent males.
B.C. Mullins
May 15, 2017 B.C. Mullins rated it really liked it
After a very explosive start that the YA reader will find hilarious, the book slows down and struggles to hold one's attention until it again takes off about a third of the way through. From that point on, it's a lively, imaginative page turner full of farts and boy humor. Unique plot - your boys will love it.
Diana Pardee
Feb 28, 2017 Diana Pardee rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: local-authors
This is a fun book, especially designed for YA boys, but enjoyable for anyone with a sense of whimsy and a love of sci-fi oriented bugs and bots. I'm no big fan of Sci-Fi but I enjoyed it thoroughly and recommend it. A little English humor adds to the fun. Looking forward to Book 2!
Karen Walker
Oct 04, 2016 Karen Walker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a fun book! It's meant to be a kids book, I believe, so I got it to read to my 8-year-old daughter. She laughed out loud, and her mother, who could overhear me, also laughed out loud. It's a twist on a superhero origin story, set in a realistic small English coal-mining town. The two young boys made me smile the way they dealt with the challenges they faced (don't want to spoil it!). I finished the book on my own and enjoyed every moment.
Lyssa
Dec 17, 2016 Lyssa rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
*Received a copy from GR giveaway*
An interesting and amusing take on boys who receive unexpected superpowers. As it's set in England, I would expect some difficulties with readers in my class who are not familiar with British terms, but overall it's very relatable. A few spelling errors here and there popped out at me but not so many that it took away from the story.
Craig Jones
Craig Jones rated it it was amazing
Feb 02, 2017
Maureen
Maureen rated it really liked it
Jan 13, 2017
Faisal
Faisal rated it really liked it
Feb 21, 2017
Christopher Schodlbauer
Christopher Schodlbauer rated it it was amazing
Feb 13, 2017
John
John rated it it was amazing
May 11, 2017
Triston Batemon
Triston Batemon rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2016
Cat
Cat rated it really liked it
Apr 10, 2017
Mr. Anderson
Mr. Anderson rated it really liked it
Mar 22, 2017
Rosemary
Rosemary rated it really liked it
Apr 14, 2017
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2016
Micielle
Micielle marked it as to-read
Cheryl Bradley
Cheryl Bradley marked it as to-read
Cathy
Cathy marked it as to-read
Mary A.
Mary A. marked it as to-read
Sue
Sue marked it as to-read
Malcolm Kates
Malcolm Kates marked it as to-read
Dawn Obrien
Dawn Obrien marked it as to-read
Arnela
Arnela marked it as to-read
Amber Dixon Fryar
Amber Dixon Fryar marked it as to-read
Ariana
Ariana marked it as to-read
Cheri Clark
Cheri Clark marked it as to-read
Michael Chance
Michael Chance marked it as to-read
Doreen Miller
Doreen Miller marked it as to-read
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Ms. Reader
Ms. Reader marked it as to-read
Bob
Bob added it
Stacy Wachtel
Stacy Wachtel marked it as to-read
Grace Osborne
Grace Osborne marked it as to-read
Andrew
Andrew marked it as to-read
Lisa Cobb Sabatini
Lisa Cobb Sabatini marked it as to-read
Max
Max marked it as to-read
Pam Mooney
Pam Mooney marked it as to-read
Gwen
Gwen marked it as to-read
Sep 03, 2016
Author Interview: Stewart Hoffman 1 2 Mar 19, 2017 09:03PM
Stewart Hoffman was born in Doncaster, England, and spent the first ten years of his life growing up in the nearby village of Rossington. After that there were several hops around the globe before he settled again in sunny Southern California. Stewart is a web developer, a world traveler, and a story teller. A reader (science fiction mostly) and a film fanatic armed with his own blog. A Whovian an ...more
More about Stewart Hoffman...