Start by marking “Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)” as Want to Read:
Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)

Night of the Dragon

(World of Warcraft #5)

Published November 18th 2008 by Gallery

To ask other readers questions about Night of the Dragon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Night of the Dragon

Start your review of Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft, #5)
Ahmad Sharabiani
Night of the Dragon (World of Warcraft #5), Richard A. Knaak
Grim Batol: its dark legacy stretches back into the mists of Azeroth's past. But most know it as the site of a terrible tragedy -- where the vile orcs corrupted the hatchlings of the noble Dragonqueen, Alexstrasza, and used them as weapons of war. Though a band of heroes, led by the enigmatic mage, Krasus, defeated the orcs and freed the captive dragons, the cursed mountain stands as another ravaged landmark within the...
تاریخ نخستین
pixie13
Jun 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I went into this book prepared to be disappointed. Most books written as tie-ins to popular culture (ie, movies, games, skits, etc) are poorly conceptualized, badly written, and an obvious attempt to simplly wrest more money from die-hard fans. However, this book was oth a pleasant & unexpected exception to that rule.
The story itself is pretty straight forward: stop the bad guy. A group of diverse individuals are drawn toward Grim Batol, a place of terrible evil, to stop an even greater
Moxie
Jul 21, 2009 rated it it was ok
Richard Knaak isn't exactly one of the best writers, and at times it was almost painful to read. There is a pretty good story hidden in this book though.
Theresa
Feb 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy, adventure
I don't know how Richard A. Knaak does it. He is the master of the World of Warcraft novel. After reading and enjoying(but not as much) other authors, I returned to his style for this story. He manages to make me care deeply about every character in the story. I mourn every passing and wish he could have saved them. It isn't just war clashes and descriptions of the violence, it is showing the reason and the passion for it.

I happen to love Kraus from all the other stories I've read with him in.
Dustin
Dec 28, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic. While reading this, several times it felt like it had been written after the Cataclysm expansion, when in fact it was written before the release of the prior expansion - Wrath of the Lich King. I'm not sure if Blizzard or Richard Knaak were planning that far ahead, but the story is brilliant. Wonderful characters and great settings. Makes me want to load the game up and go see these places again.
Spencer
Oct 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Another great WoW novel! I loved how this was a follow up to Day of the Dragon. The return of characters from the first book was nice to see, and the new characters introduced were also epic! This one seemed to have a little more depth than the first one. A must-read for any who have read the first book, or want a good fantasy.
Tina
This book was fun. It kept me entertained with the storyline that split in multiple threads at times, making it more diverse and intricate. It offered a bit more information on lore and it did depict my favorite dragon. It also explained, albeit in a vague manner, the blood elves' coming to being.
Jay
Jul 29, 2014 rated it really liked it
a very good read that gripped me from the beginning.
Jack Leone
Jul 16, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My favorite knaak warcraft book after the war of the ancients trilogy. Rhonin and Krause are the greatest team in the warcraft universe.
Chris Tucker
Aug 09, 2010 rated it really liked it
The follow up to Day of the Dragon. Enjoyed the story and the only thing I wish is that more of the spells in the books were in-game. :)
Nicki
Apr 05, 2018 rated it really liked it
This book was fairly decent, it had some parts that seemed to draw on, losing some of my interest through out. If I'm to be perfectly honest, the book itself didn't really get good until the last 4 or so chapters which....is kind of disappointing.

The author kind of made fighting sequences seem....odd? I suppose I mean that in the sense that it was very, 'x punched, THEY MISSED! They kicked, right in the jaw!'
Laurent
Mar 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
a gripping story though a bit confusing as to the origins of some aspects or points
Toeni
Jan 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Out of all the Warcraft books, I would have to say, this was one of my least favorite. I found the characters to be weak and lacking any depth. This was, to say the least, a huge disappointment because many of the characters were beloved ones that had been introduced in previous novels. The reader was introduced to Rhonin and Vereesa in the "Day of the Dragon". In that book they are merely acquaintances that could barely tolerate each other at first. Then suddenly they are together and expecting ...more
Tim Schlappi
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
WOW!!! What can I say about this novel in the World of Warcraft series, except that it was an exceptional read. I have to give this book 4.5 out of 5 stars even though you can't select half a start on here, and the only reason is because of the start. However, in my opinion, Richard Knaak has done it again with this very well put together read.

Now, at the start of this book, I was a little hesitant as to how it would turn out, as it did start a bit slow. However, by the time I was into the 2nd
Matthew Ciarvella
Nov 28, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: 2015
Camilo Rodríguez Gaviria
Although its start was slow and boring, the main story was well created and told. Enough details were given throughout so the images kept flowing one after another. I'd say this book, compared with those before, feels more partial; less horde, less alliance and more about Azeroth. However, for the horde!
A Silent Bookworm (Jessica Parker)
This is the story of Deathwing's lingering influence within Grim Batol. It was decent story. Parts of the fights/battles seems to drag on and on, but overall it was a great addition to the lore.

I read this book as part of the PopSugar Reading Challenge 2018 - A book with a time of day in the title.

Also, the Goodreads Twitter prompt #3 - Read a book that features a dragon.
Trey Stone
Jul 01, 2017 rated it liked it
loved it, a bit slow paced but it picks up towards the end
Rikke Grave
Feb 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
As allways I enjoy reading of Krasus adventures. ...more
J
Jul 08, 2017 rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Serious World of WarCraft Fans
Night of the Dragon was slow, plodding, reveals little, and hopes that you have a huge range of knowledge of the World of WarCraft world.

The story centers around the investigations of Grim Batol, and underground bastion, home to former and now renewed evils. Our three main characters are Krasus, a shape-changing dragon who's responsible for ensuring the saftey of the area. Iridi, a draeni priestess on the hunt for something taken. And finally Vereesa, survivor of a devastated people, hunting a
Merryn Turner
Dec 26, 2019 rated it did not like it
This was a mess!! How it has so many high ratings I will never understand. Whilst I expected it to be bad (none of Knaaks are ever good), I didnt expect it to be the worst book I read this year.

Die-hard World of Warcraft fans may have found this easier to navigate, but for casual players like myself or people just entering this world this does nothing but confuse and contradict again and again.

Knaak introduces new races, places and historical events that havent been featured in previous books,
Drougen
Feb 22, 2018 rated it did not like it
Another boring book by Richard A. Knaak in the Warcraft series. This book could be cut in half with the amount of un-necessary information, boring interactions, and reiterations on the same thing over and over, even then it would still be boring. It gives some slight insight as to Deathwing's family plan of creating a new dragon flight to rule the world which it should have gone more in-depth on. However it focuses more on stopping one character.

There's a dragon named Zzeraku and a character
Evgeni Kirilov
Feb 22, 2017 rated it it was ok
Can't say I was much impressed by this book. The writing was better than some of the other World of Warcraft novels, but not spectacular. There were some ties with previous Warcraft novels and graphic novels (which is something I like to see), but I had hoped for more ties to the story presented in the game itself - and those were very limited. Characters were, for the most part, fairly one-dimensional, and the plot felt spontaneous, without long-term foreshadowing or overarching themes. All in ...more
Larper
Apr 21, 2018 rated it it was ok
Ugh. That's all I have to say about this book.

To be more descriptive: boring writing, unnecessarily long descriptions of actions and fights, too freaking long, and just dull.

There were some fun parts, but most of all, it was a drag reading it, especially the first 33%.

I don't want to be overly negative. Some stuff that I liked: descriptions of goblins and Iridi's banter with sailors and goblins, Zendarin, and the plot was kind of cool, too bad it was dragged throughout 320 pages...
Mike
Jan 01, 2019 rated it really liked it
Much better than I thought it would be, because of the lower scores! I loved each character's journey to Grim Batol, and once they all arrived, their nightmares became reality. I had no idea Lady Sinestra was Deathwing's wife. This book brought back memories of the epic Sinestra bonus boss in Grim Batol in WoW. Liked this book so much it only took me 2 days to read it.

Highly recommend this novel. Can't wait to start the next book in chronological order, Stormrage.
Kramer Thompson
Jul 10, 2018 rated it liked it
A pretty decent Warcraft book. I don't think I care as much about dragons as I do the other Warcraft races, so this book was at a bit of a disadvantage. Still, the story was quite interesting and many of the action sequences exciting. An entertaining read, but not quite as good in my eyes as the book preceding it (in order of publication).
The Glassed And The Furious
This book has a really good story, but not the best writing. That's very unfortunate. But I think it captures the soul of WoW beautifully and manages to pull you in with a great story - similar to the game - which is really nice.
Josh
May 21, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Slow but ends great

It takes a whole to get going, especially dealing with all the 'greater than thou' season dialogs... But the ending chapters are very exciting and wrap up the book very well
Стл Трйкв
Dec 03, 2019 rated it it was amazing
NICE
Danihelle Draklyn
Mar 10, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Loved it!

• Lord of the Clans (WarCraft, #2)
  • The Last Guardian (WarCraft, #3)
  • Of Blood and Honor (WarCraft, #0)
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 1
  • World of Warcraft: Ashbringer
  • Warcraft: Death Knight
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 2
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 1
  • World of Warcraft Chronicle: Volume 3
  • Curse of the Worgen (World of Warcraft)
  • Dreams of Steel (The Chronicles of the Black Company, #5)
  • Warcraft: Shaman
  • Warcraft: Durotan
  • World of Warcraft, Vol. 2
  • Find Your Own Truth (Shadowrun: Secrets of Power, #3)
  • El señor de los anillos (#1-#3)
  • Juego de tronos nº 01/04: Canción de hielo y fuego
  • Transcrepuscular
Richard A. Knaak is the bestselling author of Dragonlance novels, the Dragonrealm and Black City Saint series (his own creations), six novels for Blizzard Entertainment's Diablo series, and six works in the Warcraft universe. He has also written several non-series fantasy books.

World of Warcraft (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Cycle of Hatred (World of WarCraft, #1)
  • Rise of the Horde (World of Warcraft, #2)
  • Tides of Darkness (World of Warcraft, #3)
  • Beyond the Dark Portal (World of WarCraft, #4)
  • Arthas: Rise of the Lich King (World of Warcraft, #6)
  • Stormrage (World of Warcraft, #7)
  • The Shattering: Prelude to Cataclysm (World of Warcraft, #8)
  • Thrall: Twilight of the Aspects (World of WarCraft, #9)
  • Wolfheart (World of WarCraft, #10)
  • Jaina Proudmoore: Tides of War (World of Warcraft, #11)

News & Interviews

“It is as if we are trapped in a never-ending game, our lives hinging on the roll of a dice or the turn of a card. ” 12 likes
“One makes their own luck, good or ill... and there are no guesses, merely faulty concentration.” 5 likes