Start by marking “From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars” as Want to Read:
From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars

From Cradle to Stage: Stories from the Mothers Who Rocked and Raised Rock Stars

While the Grohl family had always been musical-the family sang together on long car trips, harmonizing to Motown and David Bowie-Virginia never expected her son to become a musician, let alone a rock star. But when she saw him perform in front of thousands of screaming fans for the first time, she knew that rock stardom was meant to be for her son. And as Virginia watched ...more
Published April 18th 2017 by Seal Press

Fiona Mackie
Started off really well, with interesting interviews but then tapered off. Perhaps I may have been more engaged if I was aware of more of the artists, but there were several that I didn't know about and this coloured my response.
I wanted more in depth interviews, but it was a very 'once over lightly' approach that left me quite unsatisfied.
Great idea, but didn't live up to its promise.
Anne
Apr 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is written by Virginia Hanlon Grohl, mother of the famous rock star Dave Grohl. While watching her son on stage, filled with pride for what he had achieved, she wondered about the other mothers of rock stars. She wanted to know about their journey's with their famous sons and daughters and at that moment the idea of meeting with them and compiling this book was born.
With the full backing of Dave and her daughter Lisa, Virginia travelled far and wide and met with the mothers of stars of
Naomi Krokowski
Apr 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book was so entertaining and thought-provoking! Virginia Hanlon Grohl explores the background of several music stars' moms and their relationships and influence. I was intrigued that, as a retired educator, she noticed patterns of these artists having difficulty fitting in at school. Their parents often advocated for their creative children to pursue their passions, as well as typically made large sacrifices of time and money. I was pleasantly surprised she chronicled a diversity of musical ...more
Erin
Jun 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
I love stories. This is why most of my podcasts are items like The Moth, TED Talks, and Storycorps. This is a collection of stories from mom's who raised creative (now "rockstar" but not all rock-n-roll) kids. It was fun and interesting to see similar traits between the now famous children, but many different parenting styles.
I audiobooked this one and it is read by the author.
Debi G.
Not as enchanting as I expected. Not bad, though.
Good layout, insight, and writing. Interesting to have a glimpse of various artists' upbringings and childhood personalities.
Appreciated personal essays (and foreward).
Loved the final vignette. Helpful, maternal advice.
Agree: Faulkner is overrated.

Elyse
Loved it! I thought it was going just cover rocker moms but we get everyone from Kurt Cobain's mom to Dr. Dre's mom to Miranda Lambert's mom! It was delightful! I really enjoyed this as an audiobook with Virginia Grohl narrating and Dave Grohl doing the Foreword. There's also a little candid chat at the end of the book between Mama Grohl and son. Such a fun read!!
Helen White
Jul 14, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
David Grohl's mom compares her own experiences with other musicians mom's. A lot of the backgrounds are similar - children who are unchannelled balls of energy, discovery of a musical talent then determination and support needed to make it a success. All of these stories though are told with care and feeling and personal recollections thrown in.
Nathan McConville
Interesting enough.
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book! If you’re a music fan, I highly recommend it! Awesome little vignettes and stories from Rock Mothers from musicians from multiple genres.
Victoria
Jan 15, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book was a Christmas gift from a special friend--and I really, really thank her for it! I've already recommended it to others. Virginia Grohl is a talented writer and each interview, along with her vignettes about raising Dave, made me feel almost as if I was sitting on the sofa or patio right along with her and someone's mother. Rock and roll fans, music fans of all types, and especially moms (or dads) trying to raise children that have all the attributes that make a star a star can enjoy ...more
Dianne Landry
Jul 25, 2017 rated it did not like it
Shelves: dnf
Very boring book. Every story was basically the same. Mrs. Grohl meets someone's mother and they serve coffee or tea and home baked whatever. Life was tough but these mothers were strict and loving and raised their children to do the right thing. Which is why Dr. Dre has five kids with four woman and has been accused of spousal abuse or why Amy Winehouse destroyed her life with drugs and alcohol.

Total piece of fluff. Not worth the paper it's written on.
Eric Holman
May 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Super fun read! Stories of Foo Fighters and Nirvana that only a mom would know. While every teacher and other adult in Dave's life was describing him as a screw up or bad kid, Virginia supported her son in focusing his energy on his passion. I'd say she made the right call.
Lee Ann
Aug 18, 2018 rated it liked it
3.5 stars Despite the subtitle, Virginia Hanlon Grohl actually interviews moms, and occasionally dads, of rock, pop, rap, country, and jazz artists. In between these, she shares stories about her son, Dave Grohl.

One recurring theme, perhaps because Grohl is a former schoolteacher, is that of our educational system. I love this observation from her conversation with Val Matthews, mother of Dave Matthews. "It is hard to forgive school programs that can't find ways to generate interest from kids wh
Heather
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I loooooved this book! Mostly for music buffs though, if you don't know the singers/artists featured it would make the interviews with their moms less poignant.

The book was written by Dave Grohl's mom Virginia and it's evident where Dave got his rad personality from because she's awesome. In between her interviews with various rock star moms she has passages about Dave and his youth and early years as a musician so lots of Nirvana talk. Fact: Dave celebrated his 40th birthday at Medieval Times.
Michelle Stimpson
Mar 01, 2019 rated it it was ok
Dave Grohl's mom wrote a book. She interviewed the mothers of other musicians and wrote about their lives. It was okay. What I liked more than the interviews were the "Vignettes" that were interspersed throughout the book about her own experiences as a mother of a musician. I enjoyed these stories the most and it made me wish the whole book were a memoir of Virginia Grohl's life because she is a fascinating woman, an educator who understands how the educational system failed to meet the needs of ...more
Denny
I am a huge Foo Fighters fan and am raising my kids to be as well. My desire to learn more about frontman Dave Grohl is what drove me to read this book, but even though there are only a few nuggets of info about him, I ended up enjoying it.

Virginia Hanlon Grohl presents a series of profiles of musicians across the pop music spectrum and shares their mothers' accounts of how they dealt with their aspiring young artists' aspirations and resulting conflicts with our conventional education system. I
Jeanine
Jun 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
I absolutely love Dave Grohl, so of course I would read this book written by his mom about raising him. The bonus is that she interviewed other musicians' moms (Dr. Dre, Mike D, Pharrell Williams, Amy Winehouse, Adam Levine, Tom Morello, Kelly Clarkson) that I enjoy. Each child adored music at an early age and most didn't thrive in school, but other aspects of their upbringing varied widely and there is certainly no secret recipe. All of these families encouraged/supported their child's passion ...more
Emily
Mar 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
This was an interesting read about the moms of Rock Stars/Musicians. I love how so many of the parents go on tour with their rock star children. Dave Grohl's mom had lots of great stories of her own to about Dave and her experiences to contribute.
Dav
Jan 13, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super interesting stories from a whole range of mums, written up by none other than Dave Grohl's mum herself. From Gary Clark Jr. and Adam Levine's mums, to Tom Morello and Josh Groban's mums, to Kelly Clarkson and Amy Winehouses' mums... The stories are diverse and interesting and amazing. Loved this.
Kayo
Oct 05, 2017 rated it really liked it
A fun look at many rock stars before and after they became famous from the viewpoint of their mothers. Really enjoyed thus prospective.
SzuszeeQueue
Aug 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
Disclaimer - I'm a fan of Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters. How can you not like a front man like Dave who falls off a stage, breaks his ankle, gets temporarily patched up and does the rest of the show. Okay that part is not in his mother's book.

Dave's mom interviews other rock stars mothers. A couple are a little distance with their child's fame, but for the most part are close to their child. There is an emphasis on how parents had to let their child take their own part, whether leaving school
Holly
Jan 24, 2018 rated it really liked it
I'm a sucker for a good rock star tale, so this book was right in my wheelhouse. Virginia Grohl tells the story from a different point of view and it's refreshing. Plus I got a glance into the lives of some musicians I would have not typically read about.
Derrian
Jun 28, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great read but would have loved to have heard more about Dave Grohl himself!
Jessica
It was fun! interesting to hear about the moms of rock and how they supported their children, felt a little generic though like I could have just read an interview with the parents and gotten the same amount of detail. I really like Virginia Grohl's writing style though
Angela Maher
This is an interesting book to get some insight into where rock stars come from. The musicians featured have a variety of backgrounds, and include some rather big names. A lot of the time the sections feel like they're just scratching the surface, however. Each chapter is only around 10 pages. It's more than you would usually find easily, though, with much of the text being about the mothers.
Jun 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Virginia Grohl’s book is without a doubt one of the best books I have ever read.

If you know me well, you know her son, Dave Grohl’s 2013 SXSW key note speech literally changed my life (after listening to it I quit my job, and went in search of my passion, and soon after started my own business, Artesa. Thank you Mr. Grohl you are my Edgar Winter). After reading her book I now understand where Dave gets the magic of composing beautiful sentences that become songs, and speeches.

Just like her son
Ashley Beery
Jun 15, 2017 rated it liked it
This book was an interesting insight into the mindset of rock stars and how their mothers helped discover their talents.

The reason for the three stars is because everything was brief. You heard more about the mothers' backgrounds than the one of the children. You heard about the mothers' parents, where they came from etc, then the mothers' history before and after she had the rock star. Then you finally heard a blurb about the rock star themselves.

I wanted to know about the rock star, not the
Jessica
Jul 07, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography
I loved the idea of this book. I've always had an interest in the "normal" life side of rockers. What are their families like, where they came from, what life was like before they became famous... etc. So, I thought this book was exactly what I was looking for (though to be honest, I didn't recognize some of the rockers showcased in this book).

Alas, while Virginia Grohl tries very hard, her writing isn't great (it isn't awful, but once again, not great) and she tends to ramble a bit. The differe
Mary
Aug 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
Shelves: music, biography, memoir
Virginia Grohl is Dave Grohl’s (Nirvana, Foos) mom. Cradle to Stage is a collection of interviews with rock star moms and vignettes about the Grohls.

My takweaway is that the moms profiled here embraced the musical siren luring their kids away from conventional education into a life of struggle and intense effort on the road to success. The moms were all worried about their kids dropping out but they got on board when they realized how dedicated their kids were.

This is important to me as a mom o
Karol Gajda
Aug 05, 2017 rated it did not like it
My library had 5 copies of this on the new releases shelf, which seems far too many considering all of the books I'd like to read that they don't have. I'll be honest, I wasn't expecting much. And that's what I got. From Cradle to Stage, at the very least, needs a basic fact checker. For example, Licensed To Ill did not sell 50 million copies, come on! All of the Beastie's albums put together have sold 50 million copies worldwide. It's such a simple thing, but indicative of the general laziness ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• The Difficult Second Book
  • Elvis and the Memphis Mafia
  • Hitman: Forty Years Making Music, Topping the Charts, and Winning Grammys
  • Metallica: This Monster Lives: The Inside Story of Some Kind of Monster
  • I, Bificus
  • They Call Me Supermensch: A Backstage Pass to the Amazing Worlds of Film, Food, and Rock’n’Roll
  • This Music Leaves Stains: The Complete Story of the Misfits
  • I'm Awesome: One Man's Triumphant Quest to Become the Sweetest Dude Ever
  • Crash and Burn
  • Punk Rock Dad: No Rules, Just Real Life
  • Theater Geek: The Real Life Drama of a Summer at Stagedoor Manor, the Famous Performing Arts Camp
  • Dancing With Myself
  • My Life with Earth, Wind, & Fire
  • J.R.: My Life as the Most Outspoken, Fearless, and Hard-Hitting Man in Hockey
  • The Making of Major League: A Juuuust a Bit Inside Look at the Classic Baseball Comedy
  • The Paths We Choose: A Memoir
  • Once Upon a Farm: Lessons on Growing Love, Life, and Hope on a New Frontier
  • No Slam Dancing, No Stage Diving, No Spikes: An Oral History of the Legendary City Gardens
Virginia Grohl is a longtime educator and writer. She is also the mother of Dave Grohl, frontman for the Foo Fighters and former drummer for Nirvana.