Start by marking “Halifax, Warden of the North” as Want to Read:
Halifax, Warden of the North

Halifax, Warden of the North

Published January 1st 2007 by Nimbus Publishing (CN) (first published 1948)

To ask other readers questions about Halifax, Warden of the North, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halifax, Warden of the North

David Vanness
Mar 14, 2012 marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-i-have
My copy is a 1965 Library Hardback edition of 340 pages.
Chris
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Stephen Kimber's sections at the end, and the wealth of information on the whole, saved it. What bothers me is how influential the book is despite its dated, to put it politely, racist to be blunt, perspective. It starts with the line "The first inhabitants were a savage folk" and that point of view doesn't progress until Kimber takes over at Chapter 43, page 328.

If the book can be read with that grain (truckload) of salt, it's a treasure of information. Please don't read it without first readi
Matt Oliveira
Jan 25, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, history
Aside from the Raddall showing his old school racism at various points in the book, this is a treasure trove of well-researched historical nuggets about Halifax and the history of Nova Scotia. Highlights include recurring anecdotes about particular sites in the city, as well as his approach of essentially describing the history of every major street and public space in the city. A worthy read if you can stomach and overlook its somewhat dated narrative style and frequent use of terms like "savag ...more
Paula Dembeck
This is an historical portrait of Halifax.

The book begins with city’s first inhabitants, the Mi’Kmaq and follows Halifax through time from the earliest settlers, to Prohibition and the war time boom in the late twentieth century. It focuses on the city’s historic military role and the effects of its strategic position, chronicling colourful characters, heroes and scoundrels and the adventure and intrigue of their exploits.
For me, a little disappointing without an ongoing story line like his oth
Vanwhelan
I started this book...and then I lost it. And THEN I rebought it, which might explain why it took so long to think.

An extremely well-written and entertaining history of Halifax. When I moved here I wanted to learn more about the city and this book taught me a lot. It is absolutely jam-packed with information but it's conveyed in a really readable way.

Highly recommended to Canadian history buffs, particularly those on the east coast (and even more to those in Halifax).
Kate
Jan 25, 2016 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a re-read for me. I read it over 10 years ago in high school. Overall, enjoyable. The span and scope of detail is impressive. Two things bugged me: the history of Africville is skirted over, to the book's serious detriment I think. Also, the updated chapters seemed to be very prejudiced against the Chronicle-Herald, which I found a bit odd.
Paul