Start by marking “The Ghostwriters” as Want to Read:

The Ghostwriters

She's ghostwriting a book for a famous author--a recently deceased one. A struggling writer living in Manhattan, Jacy McMasters is the first to admit she's a terrific liar and a screw-up. Then the ghost of the famous novelist JD Balinger asks her to "channel" a follow-up to his classic coming of age book, The Watcher in the Sky. Along with her new boyfriend, a bear of a ...more
Published September 2nd 2016 by The Wild Rose Press (first published September 2016)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghostwriters, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghostwriters

Start your review of The Ghostwriters
Berit☀️✨
Nov 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: net-galley, 2017
4 weirdly interesting stars

you are an interesting chick. Weird, but very, very interesting.

Perfect quote from this book... you could substitute the word chick with book and that would describe this book perfectly.....

Let me start this off by saying this is not a ghost story.... please do not let the blurb turn you off from this book.... this also is not a romance.... although there is a love interest (and he really is quite divine) that part of the book really takes a backseat to the true
Bark
Nov 01, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: dark-fiction
This review and the rest of the crap I write can be seen @ my blog Bark's Book Nonsense . Stop by and say hey.

Jacy is a writer who isn’t writing. Instead she spends her time tending bar, drinking too much and hanging out with guys who are bad for her well-being. Jacy is a bit of a mess.

One night she meets a handsome older fellow who, as it turns out, is a famous author. He’s also very much dead and wants her to ghostwrite his next novel. If she succeeds, she could be famous too.

photo chillghost_zps9kfcwcha.gif

WTF is going
Amalia Gavea
Horrible writing. Interesting premise, but the swearing and vulgarity cheapened to no end. This is not my personal idea of Literature and this book is definitely incompatible with my reading preferences...
Susan
Aug 14, 2016 rated it it was amazing

Mickey J Corrigan

Copy received from author from an honest review.

Jacy is one hot mess. She is totally trashed in a bar when she gets a visit from a man who seems to know her thoughts and it's freaking her out. His name is JD and her favorite book written by him is The Watcher in the Sky. Do you know who this famous and dead author is?
Very clever Mickey!! Jacy has a whole head full of secrets and JD is forcing her to face them head on. JD wants Jacy to write a book for him. Do you
Melinda Falgoust
Sep 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Every once in a while, a novel invites you to pull up a bar stool, grab a handful of beer nuts, and settle in for a nicotine-soaked tale of mystery and suspense. Author Mickey J. Corrigan bellies up to the bar with her new novel "The Ghostwriters", and takes readers down a rabbit hole with a story about Jacy McMasters, a has-been writer that never was. Like Alice, we soon learn that Jacy has her own Mad Hatters and Queen of Hearts, and "drink me" is a part of her everyday vocabulary.

Corrigan
Kathleen
Sep 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Ghostwriters is an intriguing psychological tale that follows Jacy McMaster's journey of self-discovery and recovery.

Written in the first person narrative, Jacy takes the reader along for the ride on her gritty and raw journey as she unravels the complicated layers of her past, and confronts the reality behind the toxic family dysfunction that has haunted her life.

Set in New York City, the author weaves an intricate and tragic story that will provide the reader with much food for thought.
Diane
Dec 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites
The Ghostwriters by Mickey J. Corrigan is surprising. This is the first of Mickey Corrigan's books I have read and I found myself very intrigued.
Jacy McMasters is a struggling writer and part-time waitress with a lot of personal issues. She will admit it and tell you upfront that life has dealt her some doozies! She often wakes up in a strangers bed and can not remember what happened the night before. Jacy has a bitter relationship with her mother, sympathy for her father, and respect for her
Adel
Aug 19, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Ghostwriters by Mickey J Corrigan is a realistic, down to earth story about the idiosyncrasies of the human psyche. Jacy McMaster is a struggling writer, she is exceptional at procrastinating and self-destructive behaviour but she manages to pull herself out of the quagmire to become her own successful person. She meets (finally) a decent guy that is good for her and who wants to become a permanent part of her life.

Life isn’t perfect and people don’t live fantasy lives so why pretend we do?
Samantha March
Sep 19, 2016 rated it really liked it
I received a review copy
I have read from Mickey J Corrigan in the past and her books have not disappointed! Same held true with The Ghostwriters. I was pretty curious about this book because I felt like the synopsis pulled me in, yet didn’t give too much away and kept me guessing even before I read the first page. This quick read had so much depth to it and really didn’t play around. It was straight to the point, a little messy and gritty, and quite the thought-provoking read.
Kayla
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I wasn't sure what to expect when I began reading this story. There were 'ah-ha' moments as well as 'for real' moments in this story. It was very interesting to be in the head of Jacy and experiencing her inner thoughts and issues. Tantalizing tale that has you reading to the end for the answer!

I received a free copy in exchange for an honest review.
Linda Zagon
Apr 27, 2017 rated it really liked it

LINDA'S BOOK OBSESSION

Book Reviewer and lover of books

My Review of “The Ghostwriters” by Mickey J. Corrigan

I would like to thank the author and The Wild Rose Press for a copy of The Ghostwriters by Mickey J. Corrigan for my honest review.

The genre of this book is Fiction. There is also suspense, an essence of paranormal and fantasy and romance. This is an unusual book with some challenging points of view.

I like the way Mickey J. Corrigan uses the element of surprise and change in genres in this
Beth Roberts
I bought this on a whim because a GoodReads friend liked it and I love the cover.

I agree with her - it was weirdly interesting. Unfortunately, I guessed the major plot "twist" immediately and saw where it was going, so no surprises for me.

This was well-written, except for the ghostwriter's name, JD Balinger. Seriously? Better off using a made-up name rather than a riff off Salinger.

But, it was a short, cute, predictable read, with a too-happy, predictably perfect ending.
Annarella
Dec 27, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Even if I am more a "cozy mystery" type I was fascinated by this book with all the complexities and twist.
Highly recommended if you want a well written book
Gayle Pace
Sep 12, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery, ghosts, thriller
MY THOUGHTS:

I was blown away by the story. I love books t hat I can relate to the stories and the characters but this one was at the top of the list. The author doesn't dodge the real life side but faces it head on. Sure life has it's good side but it also has struggles and is far from easy. The author doesn't put too much frosting on the cake, instead dives in. I think that's why I found this book so realistic. Told as is, not as we may like it to be. The author tells her tale with a well
Rose-ann
Sep 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Mickey Corrigan is my favorite contemporary author and with good reason. Her literary style is so vivid I can see rooms I’ve never been in, cities I am not familiar with and people I have never met. In The Ghostwriters, her latest novel, Corrigan shows us mental illness from the point of view of a woman who is functioning badly in life and coping in the only was she knows how, denial and illusion. I think these are fine coping mechanisms and have used them myself many times. They help you to get ...more
Melissa Ann
Oct 10, 2016 rated it really liked it
I enjoyed reading "The Ghost Writers" by Mickey J. Corrigan. The story ended up going in a different path and not being what i thought it would be about, but I did like the direction it took. There were different themes woven together to create a multi-leveled story in less than 200 pages, and I found that impressive.

I'll be honest - it took me a few chapters to get into the book and really become engaged. When we first see our main character Jacy, she's a total train-wreck - an alcoholic with
Jessica Bronder
Sep 09, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jacy is an author that never got far. She has a lot of baggage and copes by denial, drinking and sleeping with guys she picks up in the bars. One day she is approached by a man that wants her to channel him and write a follow up to his book, The Watcher in the Sky. The man is JD Balinger, recently deceased author and once of Jacy’s favorites. Besides writing the story, JD is also helping Jacy deal with her past. But her present boyfriend can’t understand the idea of the ghost in her head and ...more
Reeca Elliott
Sep 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jacy is a struggling, self-destructive, author/beer girl. She happens to have a ghost in her head! A ghostwriter that is. He helps her write an amazing book...where this takes the reader is so creative!

I love Jacy. She is smart witted and very much a pain in the behind. Mainly because she has issues she has not dealt with. I delighted in figuring out what these issues were and where they were leading Jacy.

This is a novel which surprised me. I am notorious for not reading a blurb. I just
Misty
Oct 01, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The Ghostwriters is a title that is a very interesting a funny play on words because not only does main character Jacy McMasters act as a ghost writer in the novel, but she is in fact a ghost writer for a ghost. This is a brand new concept that I have never seen before and it interested me as soon as I read the description of the book. I was very happy to get the opportunity to review this book and boy was I NOT disappointed. The book is a mix of supernatural ,mystery, and humor that are all ...more
Dottie
Sep 04, 2016 rated it really liked it
Jacy McMasters spends her days drinking too much taking home men of which one becomes her boyfriend. She has parents that seem to favor her brother and so she is better off living alone and talking to her mom occasionally. She writes with the help of a mysterious ghost that lives in her head so needless to say her boyfriend finds it difficult to deal with her strange behavior or watching and dealing with whatever emotional problem she has that she can't seem to fix. The book includes her ...more
Cheryl
Nov 20, 2016 rated it did not like it
Here is another book that I seem to be in the minority group. I could barely make myself get to chapter 5. Jacy gave off this angry vibe. However, her interactions with JD were entertaining. Yet, my issues with this book were that it seemed that there was many pages spent talking about topics that didn't really add anything to the story. Yeah, ok so Jacy has a rocky relationship with her parents but I did not see where this had anything to do with the story. Then there was the language. I am ...more
Cathy Brockman
The Ghostwriters is a fun story with some surprising twists and lots of humor. I loved the unique characters and how Jacy wasn't a perfect, happy go lucky girl, but depressed, down on her luck and a lush. She felt realistic. As I was reading, there were things that slightly confused me, but as the story went on it explained itself.

If you are looking for something different, likes the mysterious, ghosts, a touch of romance, girls down on their luck, lots of twists and turns you will love this.
Amanda
Sep 21, 2016 rated it really liked it

Wow, The Ghostwriters is the third book I’ve read by Mickey J. Corrigan and I must say she has a way with words! The story is compelling, absorbing and a roller-coaster ride of a book. You are dragged into Jacy’s world where her every trait and interaction have you in a lockdown from start to finish. Grab your copy because it’s so good. I really enjoyed it.

Recommended
4 Stars
Kathy
Dec 01, 2017 rated it liked it
Jacy McMasters is a struggling writer in Manhattan. She has had no luck so far with her writing, but she nevertheless keeps at it. She works part-time as a waitress and gets help from her trust fund baby mother with her expenses. When she is not writing, Jacy is drinking heavily in bars or looking for and taking part in one-night-stands. No, she does not think these are god hobbies, but it seems she cannot stop herself. In addition, her former boyfriend keeps hanging around Jacy for guess what, ...more
Sarah Greenwood
Apr 29, 2018 rated it really liked it
So our girl Jacy has kind of hit rock bottom in a drunken wasteland of despair. While on another drunken night out she gets a helping hand by a friendly older guy called JD. It seems he has a proposition for her. A way to get her out of the rut she has found herself in and try to make something of her life. He wants her to help him write the sequel to his first worldwide hit. He just so happens to be the author of her all time favourite book. She is to ghostwrite the book for JD, as he can’t do ...more
Sandra Lopez
Oct 31, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Jacy’s life was going into the crap hole…until she met him that one drunken night.

“Jacy McMaster. J.C. McMaster. Author of no books, McMaster of none. Of course I know your name.” (10) How could this strange, old man know she was struggling to publish a novel?

“If JD actually knew everything about me, well then, he already knew I was a terrific liar. A pathological liar and a thief. A cheat and a failure. A cheap date with a bad attitude and too much school debt. He knew I was desperate. That was
Nancy (The Avid Reader)
Jacy McMasters is a struggling writer who is stuck in the in between. She dropped out of school and now works at a brewery on the weekends struggling to stay afloat with all her bills which include student loans. Jacy is just trying to survive the day to day hustle of life when she has a visitor. Her new friend is the famous author J.D. Balinger who just happens to have passed away a few days ago. J.D. comes to Jacy wanting her to write his next bestseller. With Jacy being down on her luck and ...more
Ally Swanson
Nov 28, 2016 rated it really liked it
This book takes place in NYC and is about a writer, Jacy who is struggling and battling a troubled past, a dysfunctional family, and mental illness. Jacy channels the ghost of recently deceased writer JD Balinger who requests she help him write the sequel to his book, “The Watcher in the Sky.”

There is no glitz and glamour in this book. The author, Mickey J. Corrigan, tells it like it is and doesn’t hold back. Jacy’s life is not pretty; but with each page we delve deeper into her issues and leave
Hina Tabassum
Jan 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A 3.75 for me.

Originally published on Hina Loves To Read

Jacy is a very real character and the story in first person from her POV is thoroughly interesting as to keep me turning pages and want to know what happens next.

The language goes adult in places but then I believe the target audience was never intended to be kids anyway.

Coming back to the story, it depicts the stress of many a people and all that combined in one person's life is enough to make them run towards a cliff to jump over.
Cheryl Malandrinos
Nov 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
The Ghostwriters delves deep into the mind of a young woman being destroyed by a lifetime of secrets she has done her best to shut out. It's rough ground that she treads, and the reader treads it right along with Jacy in all its ugliness. The psychology of childhood relationships, parent/child relationships, and true hardship is in the forefront of this novel.

Corrigan's strength lies in her ability to create complex characters. Even Firth, who is a real sweetheart, has his horrible temper to
Originally from Boston, Mickey J. Corrigan lives and writes and gets into trouble in South Florida, where the men run guns and the women run after them.