Start by marking “Lightning in the Blood (Ree Varekai, #2)” as Want to Read:
Lightning in the Blood (Ree Varekai, #2)

Lightning in the Blood

(Ree Varekai #2)

At the beginning—no—at the end—she appears, full of fury and bound by chains of prophecy.

Once, there was a call--a binding--and so, a woman appeared, present in body but absent in knowledge of her past self. Making the ultimate journey of rediscovery was not without its own pitfalls--or rewards--and now Ree, a roaming Archeron, spirit of legend and time and physically now
Published May 30th 2017 by Tor.com

Start your review of Lightning in the Blood (Ree Varekai, #2)
The Captain
Jun 09, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Ahoy there me mateys! I received this fantasy eARC from NetGalley in exchange for an honest review. So here be me honest musings . . .

If ye haven’t read the first book in this series, cold-forged flame, then ye might want to skip this post and go read me review for the first installment. If ye keep reading this log then ye have been forewarned and continue at yer own peril . . .

Now I cannot say enough goodness about the first book. I reread it in preparation for this second installment and enjoy
Brandon St Mark
Jun 01, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, pre-ordered
I'm conflicted on how to rate this book.

I like the concepts on this book. I wish this wasn't a novella series because I think there is a lot of potential in this world, so much so to be enough material to fill a full length novel. I also like Ree as a character, however, she isn't the most interesting in that we only get a small section of her life. She has great potential, but again, because these books are so short, it's almost a waste.

I think maybe I'm subconciously comparing these to the Lad
ReadBecca
I really enjoyed this, I basically only knew of Brennan from her Memoir of Lady Trent series and grabbed this off the new release shelf at the library without even reading the synopsis, well it is very different.

This clearly a middle eastern inspired setting, we follow Ree as she comes upon a caravan on the road, the people she finds are part of a persecuted group who are fleeing the band of warriors that are persecuting their people, heading to seek help from the king. Part of their group is a
Wendy
Aug 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Wendy by: Goodreads Giveaways
“Lightning in the Blood” which I won through Goodreads Giveaways continues Ree’s adventures as she wanders the land searching for her identity and past. Returning to Solaike to see her friend Aadet Temini two years after a rebellion which overthrew the tyrannical government of Valtaja’s son, Ree stumbles on a band of Nevati Korenat refugees who were ambushed after they crossed the border. Accompanied by their Archon, Mevreš who seems to know more about her past, the plight of the Korenat strikes ...more
Milliebot
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
I was super excited for the second novella in the Varekai series and I have to say, in comparison with the first book, this one left me a tiny bit disapointed. It's by no means a bad book, but the level of exceiment I felt when thinking about reading this wasn't met when I was actually reading it.

My biggest issue with this book is that there's a significant time gap between this and the first book (or I'm an ass and have forgotten more than I think I did). I felt like I was missing some key det
Megan
Jan 09, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is a continuation of Ree who is trying to find out where she came from and finds herself helping a band of people who were attacked and whose origins may be the key to finding what she seeks.
She guides the band of people who also have a free archon that claims she is a part of their story but she's not quite ready to accept such a thing for her gut says it isn't quite the truth.
Ree reaches out to a friend of hers to help these people who may have a way of giving them safe passage and learni
Lesley
Jun 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
An enjoyable read but frustrating as a novella. The characters had just been developed to the point that I as the reader wanted to know more about them when the book comes to an end The same might be said of the story line. It felt more like reading a couple of early chapters of a good complex novel and then being left in limbo.
Nicky
Jun 11, 2017 rated it liked it
I feel like I might have appreciated this more if I’d refreshed my memory on the first book, Cold-Forged Flame, first. I remembered the basics, of course, but some of the subtleties apparently escaped my brain even in the short time since I read the first book. Still, I do find the world really interesting and Ree’s role in the world compelling. The end of this book came as no real surprise as I’d already pegged Ree as a wanderer type.

I felt like maybe I didn’t connect enough with this one, thou
J.A.Birch
(CONTAINS SPOILERS FOR BOOK ONE COLD-FORGED FLAME)

(view spoiler)

The protagonist newly freed and with a part of her name remembered, Ree is still living in the world. She returns to see Aadet as his new post after using the inspiration he gained at the end of book o
Kiersten
Nov 21, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Okay, I’m gonna need a whole novel of this. This is the good stuff. Brennan’s typically inventive and immersive worldbuilding skills are brightly on display. Even in the short page count, she packs a fascinating punch delivered with a cast of distinct characters that compensates for the scant plot. There’s a definite Middle-Eastern (Turkish in particular) flavor to the setting that feels both fresh and long-established, and I really want to spend more time in it.

I’m not sure how I ended up acci
Sherry
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
This novella explores another episode in the life of the archon Ree, an avatar formed by magic from mythic origins.

In Cold-Forged Flame, Ree was forced to give up her connection to her past incarnations, and she desperately wants to discover the source of the stories that form the basis of her existence. In this volume, she meets a group of gypsy-like wanderers traveling with their own archon, who is able to provide the answers to some of her questions.

That’s the plot in a nutshell, along with
Minna
Good, but nowhere near as fascinating or compelling as Cold-Forged Flame. I realize this is the second in the series but the time skipped between #1 and #2 (and all that happened in that time) made the connections between the books somewhat confusing and distanced. Mevres, certainly, was not as strong a character as Aadet, and I found that the beginning of Lightning was not as gripping as Cold-Forged Flame.
The ending was better, especially the teeny little nuggets of information about Ree and t
Angie
Feb 28, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
My Review: I have to say this was a very bazaar story to read, the first book while meandering made a little sense, and this one does too at times but there is just so much open. I enjoyed the characters again, both Ree and Aadet, they were both how I came to know them in the first book but also more. I also appreciated that there was a nice time gap between the first book and the second book, a time when the revolution took place and while that might have made for an interesting story, I apprec ...more
David H.
Jan 18, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, novella
It took me far longer than it should've to get around to this one, as I really liked Cold-Forged Flame. This novella continues to follow Ree, a few years after the events of the first volume. She runs into a Romani-like group of people and is enlisted to help them out after they suffer an attack. I liked following Ree as she's forced to confront possibilities about her past, and I really wish Tor.com had published more in this series, as it's left quite open where Ree might do next and I want to ...more
MAB  LongBeach
The second Ree Varekai novella finds Ree returning to Solaike a year or so after the successful end of the rebellion there. She falls in with a band of Korenat refugees, including another archon, who claims that Ree is herself Korenat. Still without much of her memory, Ree resists the identification, as she feels no kinship with the perpetual travelers.

There is trouble in Solaike, a large group of outlaws attacking travelers, hoping to stir up enough trouble to overthrow the new king. Ree joins
Darren Fuller
Aug 27, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've been looking forward to this a lot since reading Cold-Forged Flame and this really didn't disappoint even though the reading experience was different. With the first book I was left dazed and amazed by everything which happened in a short period of time, new ideas and concepts being rapidly cast in. With this there were an equal number of new ideas which were added (the two sides of an Archon, Ree not being able to sleep in one place for more than 3 nights etc...) but they had a little more ...more
Travis
Oct 19, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novella, fantasy
Just as good as the first book, possibly better since the characters are more established and we learn more of the setting and the nature of the main character. I hope this series continues.

One problem is that while I certainly don't object to stealing ideas from folklore, the day-counting divination is obviously lifted wholesale from ancient Mesoamerican beliefs. And it raises questions about the alternate reality of this setting, since the 260-day cycle is generally associated with the appeara
Tim Hicks
Sep 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Of course authors can do whatever they want, but darn it, each story should be the length it needs to be, and I think this one needs to be a novel. It's paced like a novel, and then it's gone just as we were getting into it.

The progress of learning what Ree is (as she learns it too) is slow enough that there could be ten novellas before we get there.

But I guess I have to see how it turns out so I'll read #3. Especially with almost everyone in this book being almost suspiciously nice. There be
Henry Lazarus
Jul 27, 2017 rated it liked it
Marie Brennan continues her tale of Ree, an Archeron called in the first book to solve a problem and ends up helping revolution. There’s Lightning in the Blood (ebook from Tor) and bandits in the hills when she meets some wandering Korenat, recovering from an attack. So she joins the forces hunting the bandits and is led to them by a magical jaguar.Fun.Review printed by Philadelphia Weekly Press
Mel
Jan 27, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: novellas
Short stories and novellas are mostly "meh" for me usually, but this was one of the few that felt truly engaging. I liked this one even more than "Cold-forged Flame." I love the characters which feel fleshed-out, both the returning ones and new characters, and the slowly unfolding world and mysteries around Ree feel so natural because we experience the gradual build of world experiences at the same time she does. This is one of my favorite Tor.com novellas that I have read to date.
Story
Jul 16, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brennan has an ability to make her reader aware of all the things her narrator is aware of with a sure deft hand. This volume was easier to digest for its past-tense narrative. Ree is still the suspicious narrator we have come to love, giving us juicier details about her nature and the world she knows now that she has come to know it. Delightful. Sharp. Delicious.
Bridgett Brown
I won this book in a Goodreads Giveaway.
This is the second book, well more of a novella. I really wish this book was longer. Ree’s companion from the first book, joins her in the battle, and it looks as if they will continue their adventures together in future novellas. Overall I liked it, Just wish the author would expand on these stories.
Laurel
Dec 13, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2017
I'm going to need about 10 more of these. No, make it at least 20. It's that love hate thing when an author hooks you on a character's journey, but they haven't published the rest of the story! I've already started combing through the author's website and Twitter feed, desperate for word on the next instalment. Buying it the second it's released!
Liz
I'm still waiting to see what this series becomes. The pacing works both for and against Brennan here--keeping us matched with Ree is a very clever storytelling device, but also I still have no idea what's going on...a state of mind not helped by my complete inability to remember things from one book to another.
Ronny
Jun 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Short read, builds on the world building and the character building/discovery from the first one. Kinda interesting, but it also sort of feels a bit like the outline, or start of a story, and not a full story in and of itself.
John
Jun 26, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: own
I was looking forward to this follow-on to the first book in the series. It didn't deliver as much as I expected. The story and the characters were OK, but there was no punch. I'm hoping for more in the next story.
Misty Greene
Aug 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrow-avon
I picked this up at the library, at first I didn't realize it was #2, as soon as I did I put it aside so I could get #1. I am glad I did both stories are a wonderful blend of action, adventure and great character development. I enjoyed the world she created and the characters she put into play.
Rochelle
Aug 29, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: have
In this the second instalment of this novella series we see Ree meeting another Archon and learning more about herself and helling out a friend. There was No mystery in this one but more about self-discovery and history. I enjoyed it well enough.
Fate's Lady
Jan 05, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Ree meets up with another archon, and as she helps his people, she may be able to gather another piece or two of her own story. I love Ree and resonate with her a lot. The story is fun, and I'm definitely interested in reading more.
Jessica DiFelice (thefanaticreader)
I really enjoyed this story. Ree is a compelling main character, and the mystery surrounding her is really intriguing. I liked how the story continued and the introduction of Mevres and how they progressed the story.

• Witches of Lychford (Lychford, #1)
  • Her Silhouette, Drawn in Water
  • Cast in Wisdom (The Chronicles of Elantra, #15)
  • The Lamb Will Slaughter the Lion (Danielle Cain, #1)
  • Agents of Dreamland (Tinfoil Dossier, #1)
  • Life in the Ocean: The Story of Oceanographer Sylvia Earle
  • Exit Strategy (The Murderbot Diaries, #4)
  • The Lost Child of Lychford (Lychford, #2)
  • Sharkwater: The Photographs
  • The Empress of Salt and Fortune (The Singing Hills Cycle #1)
  • Prosper's Demon
  • Sisters of the Vast Black
  • Vigilance
  • The Black God's Drums
  • Come Tumbling Down (Wayward Children, #5)
  • Killing Gravity (The Voidwitch Saga, #1)
  • Rogue Protocol (The Murderbot Diaries, #3)
  • Flying Too High (Phryne Fisher, #2)
Marie Brennan a.k.a. M.A. Carrick

Marie Brennan is a former anthropologist and folklorist who shamelessly pillages her academic fields for material. She recently misapplied her professors' hard work to Turning Darkness Into Light, a sequel to the Hugo Award-nominated series The Memoirs of Lady Trent. As half of M.A. Carrick, she is also the author of The Mask of Mirrors, first in the Rook and Rose

Ree Varekai (2 books)
  • Cold-Forged Flame (Ree Varekai, #1)

News & Interviews