Start by marking “Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)” as Want to Read:
Dreamfall (Dreamfall #1)

Dreamfall

(Dreamfall #1)

Cata Cordova suffers from such debilitating insomnia that she agreed to take part in an experimental new procedure. She thought things couldn’t get any worse...but she was terribly wrong.

Soon after the experiment begins, there’s a malfunction with the lab equipment, and Cata and six other teen patients are plunged into a shared dreamworld with no memory of how they got the
Published May 2nd 2017 by HarperTeen

To ask other readers questions about Dreamfall, please sign up.
Amy Plum Yes. A 12-year-old who loves to read has read it and loved it. (Although she found it scary!)

May 01, 2017 rated it it was ok
And what, exactly, will they be doing? Well, in a few short days, they’ll be laying us out in a lab, fitting our heads with electrodes, and running electrical currents through our brains until our insomnia is fried into extinction. They’ll be shocking us into normalcy.

I had to push myself to keep reading. This one almost ended up on the dreaded "DNF" list that I try to avoid if possible.
Ishmeen
Jun 27, 2017 rated it it was ok
You know your tastes are messed up when your favourite character is revealed to be a psychopath 🌚

“A chill goes through me when I understand what he said.
The clowns.”

This was a YA fantasy story, about a group of insomniac teens caught in a shared nightmare world.

I liked the characters in this, they all made the best of things, had their own coping strategies, and didn’t give up, even in the worst of circumstances. I also liked how we learned more about them as the book went on, and that there were
Darinda
Oct 03, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A group of teens with insomnia undergo a new procedure for treatment. During the treatment, something goes wrong, and the teens are trapped in a dream world.

Told from multiple points of view - Cata, Fergus, and Jaime. Cata and Fergus suffer from insomnia and are undergoing treatment. Jaime is a pre-med student observing the treatment. The different POVs were interesting, especially since it covers viewpoints from both sides - those undergoing the treatment and an observer of the test subjects.
Maggie ☘ (Wonderland-Reader)
*3.5/5 stars*

“Yes, I’m scared. But if this is what I have to do to be able to sleep again, I’m ready to sign my life away.”

Dreamfall was actually pretty intriguing read. I liked the idea of this story - Seven subjects suffering from insomnia for different reasons and traumas are being tested for a cure, but... The lab equipment malfunctions and they are all thrust into simultaneous coma and together joined in some kind of dream state, in their nightmares.

The concept of Dreamfall was very intri
The Girl Murdered by Her TBR
5 mind blowing stars!!!!

This book was a total mindfuck!!!
From the beginning till the end, it will make you guess who is who and what is what...

There are so many things I loved about this book! Like really loved!!!

1. The plot because its so freaking awesome!!!
2. The different psychological illnesses and conditions used by the author to make the different characters' personality.
3. How the author combined realism and fantasy. Trust me only few can managed to create a novel and this book managed
Saania Zee Jamal ϟ
WE HAVE A COVER!

description

And I am loving every trippy bit of it.
_______________

Color me very intrigued.

Now dear book,

Stacee
I have always been a fan of Amy's words, so I was pretty excited to get my hands on this one. Added bonus for it being creepy.

There are a good amount of characters, but we only get the POV from 3: two patients in the experiment and one pre-med student observing. And between the three of them, we get quite a story.

There's not much I can say without spoilers, so just know that it's imaginative and eerie and maybe scary for some and absolutely delicious. I wish I had book 2 in my hands right now.
Mogsy (MMOGC)
2.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2017/08/19/...

In Dreamfall, a group of teenagers are signed up for an experimental study that is supposed to help treat their individual sleep disorders, which range from chronic insomnia to debilitating night terrors. However, the equipment hooked up to the teens ends up malfunctioning during the trial and the seven of them fall into comas—or at least, that’s what it looks like to the researchers overseeing the project. In reality th
Sabrina
After what feels like a lifetime I started to actually reduce my TBR list.
This novel has been on my shelf for as long as I can remember, and finally, something possessed me and made me read it. UHUL.

“We’re no longer in the ‘outside world.’ We’re somewhere else.”
“A place where nightmares are always around the corner.”

The concept of this book was really interesting. Seven teenagers who suffer from debilitating insomnia agree to take part in an experimental new procedure to cure it, but things
La Coccinelle
Plot - 5
Characters - 4
Writing style - 4
Romance - 5

In which a group of sleep-deprived teenagers got stuck in their nightmares together.

This is one of the creepiest books I've ever read, no joke. I can't even read this when I am alone because it gives me chills.

Plot - hands down to the author for this. It is utterly genius. This is the type of novel you want your friends to talk about when alone in the dark.

The plot twists seriously got me, it's been ages since I was actually shook from the rev
Apr 09, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss
Dreamfall is the first book in a new YA duology by author Amy Plum

I am not sure what genre the book is. I've seen it listed as YA horror, YA fantasy, YA science fiction and I've also seen it referred to as a psychological thriller. IMO it is not science fiction, fantasy or a psychological thriller. I guess it could be YA horror. The book starts off feeling like our world. The only difference being the experiment and the severe insomnia experienced by the teens. But then there is also the dream/s
Shannon (It Starts At Midnight)

This was interesting. I went from "hmm I am not sure about this" to "need book two NOW, please and thank you" pretty quickly. It was a slow start- and kind of weird, if I am being honest. I also wasn't sure about the likelihood that parents would sign their kids up for this with it being so unknown, but I guess if you're desperate... I certainly can't judge. The science part of it I didn
noor
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2018, wig
4.5 STARS

WHAT!???? WHAT!!!!!! OHMYOGDGSHAHDHAHHDHAJS MY WIG HAS BEEN RIPPED OFF. I HAVE ZERO TIME TO REVIEW THIS, IM MOVING ON TO THE SECOND BOOK NOW.
rachel

I wish I could bottle up my feelings about this book so I could convince you to give it a shot. Unfortunately, these meagre words are going to have to do. This book perfectly achieved its purpose: it creeped me out. This is honestly the first book to ever do that to me. Ever. I am trying to seem more macho than I am, but it honestly takes a lot to actually scare me in books. Even if a book is well-written and engaging, there is always a distance between me and the story that stops me fr
Mandy
Jun 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
Now being part of the book blogging world, I dread giving one star reviews when in the past, I never really realized the impact of them. But this book was just...it had such a fascinating premise and it executed it brilliantly in parts (which is somehow how I actually got through a good deal of this book), but there were so many negatives that I couldn't convince my book gut to go with anything else.

There's something I love about a good group horror novel. Much of Laurie Faria's Stolarz's horro
Jay G
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was ok
Want to see more bookish things from me? check out my Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCfer...

2.5/5 Stars

7 teenagers with crippling insomnia decide to undergo an experimental procedure in hopes of a cure. When the experiment goes wrong, the teens quickly discover they are stuck in a dream world where their nightmares live. Now they need to work together to get out of Dreamfall until its too late and they're stuck forever.

I really wanted to like this... it was on my most anticip
Colleen Houck
There was an old movie I loved called Dreamscape and this reminds me of that. Love seeing what's going on through the student observer's eyes as well as being trapped in the nightmares of all these kids. If you are one for scary things that go bump in the night, then this is definitely the book for you. The clowns freaked me out the most!
Melanie (TBR and Beyond)
I'll go with 3.5 stars on this. I almost DNF'd it several times during the first 100 pages but then it suddenly got better. I had a good time with it and I'll be diving into the second book this weekend.

RTC
Cassie Stever
Sep 17, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
“This is a million times worse than the creepy monster in the cave. I could handle that. It was a monster, not a man. Although sometimes those can be one and the same.”

this book. how to sum this up? uhm, okay, so imagine your worst nightmare. then imagine literally living that worst nightmare. okay, then imagine being with several other people and living their worst nightmare. all the while trying to figure out how to get through the nightmares alive, just to go back to a place called the Vo
Danielle (Love at First Page)

3-3.5 stars

A fun, quick, creepy read! Definitely wish I could go right into the next book. I just wish there had been romance and a solid pairing.
Kayla Ritenour (In Between The pages)

Holy heck y'all!!!

I can't even comprehend what exactly this book did to me yet haha.

Like this book took so many crazy twists and turns, and had me on the edge my seat.... well, bed the entire time.

description

Let me just explain it all real fast.

So.... I pre-ordered this book back before it came out. It was delivered on release day..... And then what do I do? I sit on it forever and a day. So anyways. I've been having an awful time getting Into any books. I finally found a couple here and there. A sci-fi, o
Crowinator
Like a teen version mash-up of Nightmare on Elm Street 3: Dream Warriors and Identity, without (view spoiler)

ETA: It's taken me this long to remember the name of the 80s movie this book most reminds me of: Dreamscape (1984 Dennis Quaid, baby!). Watch and enjoy.
Shelley
May 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
*Source* Publisher via Edelweiss
*Genre* Young Adult Fiction / Thrillers & Suspense
*Rating* 3.5-4

*My Thoughts*

Amy Plum, author of the Revenants trilogy, returns with a Nightmare on Elm Street inspired horror duology called Dreamfall. Dreamfall has a rather large cast of characters. It features teens like Catalina (Cata) Cordova, Fergus, Sinclair, Remi, and Ant who all suffer from sleeping disorders that affect their every day way of life. During the experiment, an earthquake interrupts the e
BookLoversLife
Mar 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: edelweiss, for-review
I went into this only knowing that Amy Plum wrote it. I really enjoyed her Die for Me series and loved her After the End series and this sounded right up my alley!! This focuses on a group of teenagers who are brought together because they all suffer the same thing... insomnia. Each of them have their other problems, but insomnia is why they are here. They agree to take part in an experimental trial, that sees them being put into a sleep state and their brain being gently pulsed with electricity ...more
Kayla
Jul 27, 2017 rated it really liked it
Dreamfall by Amy Plum

Teens that suffer from a illness that makes it impossible for them to sleep without having nightmares have been moved to a clinic where doctors say that they have a cure. when the cure goes wrong and the teens are stuck in their nightmares and have no way out, they must try to face their darkest nightmares.

CHARACTERS-
I loved these cast of characters. I love reading about characters will illnesses in fantasy books because it adds a realistic aspect because some people do suff
Sheena
Aug 21, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: own-it-and-read
a solid 2.5. entertaining and a light, quick read. Aside from the clowns.
Kelli
Apr 02, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-complete
3.5. This was great! It's intense, exciting and suspenseful. There are 7 patients, all under 20, with insomnia. They partake in a group treatment test trial, (new version of electroshock). Earthquake causes power malfunctions on site and the test goes haywire. Short version: kids get stuck together in their own nightmares. They have to stay alive and figure out how to survive each nightmare.

I really enjoyed this. While the nightmares themselves are obviously terrifying. I didn't feel much fear o
Zoe

Dreamfall is an original and unique story that is relatively difficult to get into in terms of keeping track of the cast of characters, but once you begin reading it's captivating and impossible to put down.

Dreamfall follows seven teenagers who have signed up for an experimental procedure to help cure their insomnia. But when a small earthquake destroys the lab equipment, the teenagers are catapulted into a shared dream world where their worst nightmares come to life.

What's inte

• Wax
  • Wickedpedia
  • Never Apart
  • Tabula Rasa (Tabula Rasa, #1)
  • Brave New Girl (Brave New Girl, #1)
  • Odium III (The Dead Saga, #3)
  • The Gauntlet (The Cage, #3)
  • The Infinity of You & Me
  • Dark Carnival: An Anthology of Horror
  • The Telling
  • Girl Lost (Neverland Lost, #1)
  • The Beautiful Dead (The Beautiful Dead, #1)
  • Hurricane Joe (Hardy Boys: Undercover Brothers, #11)
  • The Kiss of Deception, Chapters 1-5
  • Contagion (Contagion, #1)
  • Dreaming Darkly
  • Dawn Undercover
  • Etherworld (Elusion, #2)
Amy Plum is the international bestselling author of the DIE FOR ME series (Indie Next List pick, Romance Times top pick, and recipient of a starred review from School Library Journal). The books have been translated into thirteen foreign languages. The trilogy is accompanied by two eNovellas entitled DIE FOR HER and DIE ONCE MORE and a compendium entitled INSIDE THE WORLD OF DIE FOR ME.

DREAMFALL,

Dreamfall (2 books)
  • Neverwake (Dreamfall #2)
“When working with an unknown situation, you have to identify known factors and work within their boundaries.” 2 likes