Start by marking “Final Cut” as Want to Read:
Final Cut

Final Cut

For generations Blackwood Bay, a quaint village in northern England, has been famous only for the smuggling that occurred along its coastline centuries ago, but then two local girls disappear bringing the town a fresh and dark notoriety. When Alex, an ambitious documentary filmmaker, arrives in Blackwood Bay, she intends to have the residents record their own stories as he ...more
Published August 25th 2020 by Harper

To ask other readers questions about Final Cut, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Final Cut

Start your review of Final Cut
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*
EXCERPT: I lay on the bed staring at the ceiling, my open phone heavy in my hand. I'd found only one number in the memory. It seemed simple. If I wanted to find out who I was, all I had to do was dial it. So why couldn't I do it?

ABOUT THIS BOOK: For generations Blackwood Bay, a quaint village in northern England, has been famous only for the smuggling that occurred along its coastline centuries ago, but then two local girls disappear bringing the town a fresh and dark notoriety. When Alex, an am
Ceecee
May 28, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is a documentary film maker. She is commissioned by Channel 4 to make a fly on the wall type film about Blackwood Bay, a small Yorkshire coastal village. Alex travels there with a heavy heart as the village has an unsettling past. Several girls have gone missing over the last ten years, one of them, a girl called Daisy is reputed to have committed suicide. Alex knows the place but how and why? Over the following few days, Alex begins to have some perturbing partial memories which haunt her. ...more
Javier
Jun 21, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is a film maker going back to shoot her latest documentary to Blackwood Bay, her hometown, a seaside town where in the last ten years a girl committed suicide and another two went missing. When she was young she suffered some kind of trauma that caused her dissociative amnesia so when she goes back she intends to find out what happened to her and the other girls.

While not being the most original premise it started strong enough with a MC with an intriguing backstory, a good set of character
Ken
Feb 14, 2021 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gripping slow burner that delves into past trauma and the lingering presence of a tragedy that continues to effect a small community.

Budding filmmaker Alex travels to the North Yorkshire seaside town of Blackwater Bay.
The previously vibrant destination is still haunted by the disappearance of two young girls along with a third having also committed suicide 10 years previously - it's now quite literally a ghost town and an ideal place for Alex's next documentary.

The mistrust and closed ranks b
Mandy White (mandylovestoread)
Well, SJ Watson has done it again with Final Cut. His first book, Before I Go To Sleep, is one of my favourite books (the movie not so much) and I was so excited to read his new book. As always, his characters are real and flawed, his settings are dark and creepy and the story was twisty and enthralling. I was not disappointed and recommend this to mystery book lovers.

It is a slow burn, with alot of scene setting, background on characters and jumping between the past and present. I devoured it o
Pauline
May 22, 2020 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: netgalley
Alex is sent to make a film in her home town of Blackwood Bay.
She hasn’t been home for a long time because of an incident that happened to her that she has little memory of.
Two girls have gone missing and the town is suspicious of people arriving asking questions.
A slow moving psychological thriller.
Thank you to NetGalley and Random House UK, Transworld Publishers for my e-copy in exchange for an honest review.
Sandy *The world could end while I was reading and I would never notice*

Farshana ❤️rainnbooks❤️
Many thanks to Net Galley, Random House UK, Transworld Publishers and the author for the ARC of this book.

#FinalCut #NetGalley

Let me begin with an apology to the author S J Watson, for having kept his phenomenally successful Before I Go To Sleep in the mountainous TBR pile for few years now. After reading Final Cut, I am cursing myself for not having gobbled up every work that the author has published.

I have raised my head from the kindle, walked around quite a bit and gave it a day before I cou
Liz Barnsley
Apr 23, 2020 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of S J Watson's writing and storytelling generally speaking and Final Cut was again a well written and well plotted novel so as far as quality goes, excellent.

The story is a fairly standard psychological thriller- girl returns to town she fled years ago, lacking memory of reasons for trauma, the town is hiding secrets and we have plenty of twisty happenings.

It is very readable and entertaining, I got through it in two large bites and enjoyed it for the most part.

I guess my one littl
Lou
Aug 06, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Final Cut is a captivating psychological thriller in which SJ Watson explores themes of memory and identity as a young documentary filmmaker travels to a quiet fishing village to shoot a new film, only to encounter a dark mystery surrounding the disappearance of a local girl. For generations Blackwood Bay, a quaint village in northern England, has been famous only for the smuggling that occurred along its coastline centuries ago, but then two local girls disappear bringing the town a fresh and d ...more
Renny Barcelos
Jun 16, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was a huge disappointment, although I should have known better after this author's second book, which I did not like at all. I loved Before I go to Sleep, but perhaps it's time to part ways with S. J. Watson, since clearly the other novels were not for my taste.

***Be aware of minor spoilers ahead***

What we have here is another drama that resembles more a soap opera than a psychological thriller, full of cliches (I swear, I can't anymore with the fugue states and dissociative memories. It's
Bruce Hatton
As in his first two novels, Mr. Watson’s third novel features a female protagonist. And, as before, she is one troubled lady.
Film maker Alex Young has been commissioned by her producer, Dan to produce a documentary about the small remote coastal town of Blackwood Bay. What Dan doesn’t know, however, is that Alex has past links to Blackwood Bay; links she has long ago severed and has no wish reconnecting.
We soon learn that Alex isn’t whom she claims to be, but who is she really? Whilst, ostensibl
Erin
Dec 27, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-borrowed
I really need to stop putting high expectations on every book an author writes. The fact is, I ADORED and DEVOURED every single sentence of Before I go to Sleep and I guess I thought I would carry that feeling forward through to the author 's third novel. Alas, I began this one on Christmas Eve and then didn't pick it up until last night (the 26th). I liked it and a lot of the actions of the main protagonist, Alex, really did make sense given how the story turns out.

Goodreads review published
May 03, 2020 rated it liked it
I wanted to love this and was so excited about a new novel by Watson but I wasn’t bowled over by this novel. It felt very formulaic and predictable from the get go and it felt like an over told idea. Watson still writes well and builds up tension perfectly but it just wasn’t very exciting or unique for me. Sorry!
Shalini
Sep 29, 2020 rated it it was ok
The book started fine with a documentary shooting, an amnesic main characters and suspense in the village. then it started to lose its steam and meandered through the midway, and I began to lose interest in it too.
I skim read parts of it to get to the end.
An okay read
Donna
Oct 08, 2020 rated it it was ok
2.5 stars. Turns out this was not the right book for me even though the synopsis sounded like one I would enjoy. I thought it was too long with way too much dialogue. I struggled to finish it.
ABookwormWithWine
Final Cut by S.J. Watson is a slow burn mystery that is heavy on the atmosphere which I really enjoyed. Alex was a bit of an unreliable narrator since she couldn't remember her past, but I loved the direction the book took, and I was completely shocked by the ending. This book was twisty and disturbing, and it made my heart hurt a little once I learned what was going on. Blackwood Bay was a great setting, and I really liked Watson's writing style because I felt like I was right there. The whole ...more
Mogsy (MMOGC)
3.5 of 5 stars at The BiblioSanctum https://bibliosanctum.com/2020/08/25/...

S.J. Watson’s debut Before I Go to Sleep was a book I read early in my blogging days, and as I recall, I was quite taken with its rather unusual handling of the good old amnesia plot. Thus I was quite intrigued when I found out about his new book Final Cut, another psychologically-driven suspense mystery dealing with memory loss.

Alex Young is the protagonist of this novel, who over the years has made quite a name for her
Michael
Nov 25, 2020 rated it did not like it
I really enjoyed Before I Go To Sleep but this one was very boring. I also really hatd the writing style, it was very dense and unappealing,it read like a crime scene report. Some things need to just be left for imagination, I felt that some contents were just unecessary to the point of the story. What was the point of this book? It never had a defined plot to me, it was a bunch of useless characters that took up the space with no characterization or direction.

I did not last long reading this,it
Etienne
2,5/5. An entertaining when you don’t think about it too much.

The first 2/3 of it was good enough, we want to go what happen, the pace is good, we turn the page and enjoy doing so. But when you close the book, get out of the ambiance, and start thinking about it, you see the unrealistic element that seem to be everywhere. Why everybody is so happy to talk about their dark history to a newcomer wanna-be filmmaker? Why does relation and intimacy go so fast? Why do the event just fit perfectly tog
Shawna Alpdemir
Jul 08, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a big fan of first person narratives or thrillers, so this book wasn't the typical read for me. I was pleasantly surprised by the pace and the writing. It was dark, but not too dark - mysterious, but not misdirected. You feel like you have an idea where the plot is headed the whole time, but not exactly how it all fits together. Some books end too quickly after coming to a conclusion, but I felt like the ending wrapped everything up nicely. I enjoyed the experience and think I should ope ...more
Nancy
Oct 02, 2020 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Read most of it ... gave up ..... disappointed!
Danni The Girl
Mary Picken
Aug 05, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex is a documentary film-maker, whose first film garnered her some excellent praise, but she’s struggled to find a new idea that inspires her and the commissions are not rolling in. An idea she has pitched to a production company has merit and they’re keen for her to proceed with it, but they want it attached to a place with a story to give the film a real hook.

So Alex arrives in Blackwood Bay, a place that she never wanted to be. Once a pretty enough place with a bit of a tourism industry, no
Danielle
Aug 22, 2020 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
What sounded like an interesting plot quickly turned out to be unrealistic and filled with obvious attempts at fooling the reader. Lots of different characters, flipping between "then" and "now", characters hiding in shadows and slinking around in the darkness, characters advising Alex not to trust others... it was all just like a poor thriller movie for me. I guessed the major twist fairly early on and found the rest of the book to be frustratingly over-complicated and not particularly well wri ...more
Andre
Feb 01, 2021 rated it liked it
3/5

A pretty intense and wierd story, full of plot twist that you won t expect.

If you are looking for a story with an interesting story this is the one for you, especially if you are new to thrillers.

If you are looking for a story with dark and horror elements that are specific to noir thriller books, this one is not for you. The thriller part is not so heavy on this one as you might think, for it is a little bit lighter, fit for newbies.

I am not saying that it is a bad book. Not at all, but if y
Joanna Park
Aug 17, 2020 rated it it was amazing
The Final Cut is an intriguing and compelling read which had me gripped from the first page. It’s going to be a hard book to review as I don’t want to give anything away.

The story is told in two parts; the now one follows Alex as she attempts to make a film at a northern sea side town while trying to solve the mystery of two girls who vanished there. The Then part of the story follows a mysterious girl who is found with minor injuries but suffering from memory loss. Both storylines were very int
Cheryl
Sep 23, 2020 rated it it was ok
Disappointing.
emily • emilybookedup
Oct 22, 2020 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2020-books
I definitely liked BEFORE I GO TO SLEEP by him more, but the ending of this one made the looooong slow burn a little bit worth it. Full review to come on my Instagram page!
Ailsa
Jan 05, 2021 rated it it was ok
People are calling this a slow burn but I think it’s a slow fizzle out. Super dull and the ending isn’t worth it.

• The Vanishing Half
  • The Lies That Bind
  • All Adults Here
  • The Last Flight
  • The Boy from the Woods
  • One to Watch
  • The Southern Book Club's Guide to Slaying Vampires
  • Big Summer
  • Killing Mind (D.I. Kim Stone #12)
  • The Wedding Dress
  • My Mother's House
  • You Exist Too Much
  • A Week at the Shore
See top shelves…
S J Watson was born in the UK, lives in London and worked in the NHS for a number of years.

In 2011 Watson's debut novel, Before I Go to Sleep, was released to critical acclaim. It has now been published in over 40 languages, and has become an international bestseller, winning numerous awards.

The movie of Before I Go To Sleep, starrring Nicole Kidman, Colin Firth and Mark Strong, was released in 2